PDA

View Full Version : My take on the draft, QB's Gabbert/Newton

Prov401
03-11-2011, 04:40 AM
Nix drafted CJ last year, and the Bills basically babied him his rookie season, resulting in essentially zero impact the whole year. I don't see Nix drafting another player, especially with the 3rd overall pick, that won't have an impact another whole season. What I'm getting at obviously is I just can't see the Bills drafting a QB with the 3rd pick.

I know I can't predict the future, but I just don't see Gabbert being much of anything in the NFL. I've read enough about him, seen scouting reports, and have seen highlights of his inaccurate long ball. And a little baffling to me is how he came from a spread offense, and only mustered 2,700 yards last year. His completion percentage was good at 62% (still should definitely be higher in a spread offense), and if people are impressed by that, I'd like to know why? I'm more impressed with Mallett who comes from a pro style offense, threw for 3,869 yards, 32 touchdowns, and had a completion percentage of 64.7 last season. I'm not impressed with Gabbert, as you should be taking a player with the 3rd pick in the draft. I'm so sick and tired of drafting potential.

Newton on the other hand does impress me. However, he lacks something I can't quite put my finger on. He seemed erratic this last week at the combine and his pro day, sailing a number of passes. That scares me, along with many who believe he has some serious mechanical issues. The Panthers need a QB, probably worse than any other team in the NFL. I really think this is where Newton goes anyhow.

Bottom line is, as I said before, I don't see Nix drafting another non factor for the season with the 3rd overall pick. I'm betting Dareus or Peterson will be wearing our jersey, and starting on opening day. That's what I'm praying for at least.

Bangarang
03-11-2011, 06:38 AM
Nix did say that they were drafting not only for the present, but the future. If they think taking a QB at #3 could be a franchise guy then I don't think they'd pass that up. Especially if it means sitting him for a year.