Dr. Lecter
03-13-2011, 01:44 PM
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2011/03/bulletin-rick-martin-has-died.html

JD
03-13-2011, 01:49 PM
That is terrible! RIP :pray:

JD
03-13-2011, 02:02 PM
At least Pegula was able to reunite them one last time..
:sadwalk:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/omkzF-Rcm68" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ebenezer
03-13-2011, 02:12 PM
A terrible loss. One of my first heroes. Absolutely shocking. Sadly, the Connection will be brought together one last time.

FlyingDutchman
03-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Thats terrible. 3 years ago I was given the opportunity to volunteer for the Jim Kelly celebrity golf tournament in Batavia where I was paired up with Rick Martin. I got to spend 18 holes driving him around.

When I first showed up I was hoping to get Andre Reed, Bruce Smith....ya know some major football player. Honestly when I was told I was going to be with Rick, the name sounded familiar but it took a minute to remember who he was. I was born in 81, and raised on the Sabres during the Pat Lafontaine, Alexander Mogilny days but thats about as far back as I really knew the Sabres. Then of course I remembered him as part of the French Connection.

Anyways, he was a very chill guy. Maybe bc he wasnt one of my childhood heroes I was really relaxed too. By hole 2 we had just sparked up good convo and he was easy to shoot the breeze with. I asked what he thought of Crosby and Ovechkin and he said he really admired Ovechkin bc he plays hard and doesnt complain....A few holes and bloody marys later he REALLY took a liking to me, and I to him and we just had fun. He was the typical Canadian where you could have a good time and didnt need a filter with him. His buddy Smokey hit the only hole in one ive ever witnessed that day. At the end of the day he signed a sheet a paper that had his name on it for his assigned cart and gave it to me and thanked me for everything. I still have it in my glove box of my car. Im having trouble pasting the picture of us but Ill see what I can do. Anyways RIP Rick, Im glad I had the chance to have met you.

FlyingDutchman
03-13-2011, 02:29 PM
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/189045_1618066458691_1447278981_31272405_3104308_n.jpg

Picture quality sucks bc it was taken from my camera phone

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-13-2011, 02:41 PM
RIP

Very sad news. That is a bad corner for traffic.

FlyingDutchman
03-13-2011, 02:46 PM
he was a hell of a golfer too btw

THATHURMANATOR
03-13-2011, 02:51 PM
That is very sad news....

Ebenezer
03-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Thats terrible. 3 years ago I was given the opportunity to volunteer for the Jim Kelly celebrity golf tournament in Batavia where I was paired up with Rick Martin. I got to spend 18 holes driving him around.

When I first showed up I was hoping to get Andre Reed, Bruce Smith....ya know some major football player. Honestly when I was told I was going to be with Rick, the name sounded familiar but it took a minute to remember who he was. I was born in 81, and raised on the Sabres during the Pat Lafontaine, Alexander Mogiliny days but thats about as far back as I really knew the Sabres. Then of course I remembered him as part of the French Connection.

Anyways, he was a very chill guy. Maybe bc he wasnt one of my childhood heroes I was really relaxed too. By hole 2 we had just sparked up good convo and he was easy to shoot the breeze with. I asked what he thought of Crosby and Ovechkin and he said he really admired Ovechkin bc he plays hard and doesnt complain....A few holes and bloody marys later he REALLY took a liking to me, and I to him and we just had fun. He was the typical Canadian where you could have a good time and didnt need a filter with him. His buddy Smokey hit the only hole in one ive ever witnessed that day. At the end of the day he signed a sheet a paper that had his name on it for his assigned cart and gave it to me and thanked me for everything. I still have it in my glove box of my car. Im having trouble pasting the picture of us but Ill see what I can do. Anyways RIP Rick, Im glad I had the chance to meet you.
That is completely awesome!

clumping platelets
03-13-2011, 04:11 PM
:sadwalk:

PTI
03-13-2011, 04:13 PM
I know you can't believe Wiki, but it says he had a heart attack while driving. Was a one car accident so it could have been. In any event Richard Martin is no longer with us and this is sad news. He was an awesome player and seemed like a real good person too.

Michael82
03-13-2011, 04:17 PM
RIP Rick Martin. I'm sorry that I never got to see him and the rest of the French Connection play. :(

YardRat
03-13-2011, 05:05 PM

Bufftp
03-13-2011, 05:26 PM
Rick Martin-R.I.P.

SabreEleven
03-13-2011, 05:38 PM
From the stories, it sounds like he might have been dead before the accident

Ebenezer
03-13-2011, 05:41 PM
From the stories, it sounds like he might have been dead before the accident
on the news they said that witnesses saw him slumped over the steering wheel before he hit anything.

Bufftp
03-13-2011, 05:49 PM
RIP Rick Martin. I'm sorry that I never got to see him and the rest of the French Connection play. :(
It was a thing of beauty. Pure hockey at its finest.

shelby
03-13-2011, 06:57 PM
RIP

Dude
03-13-2011, 07:27 PM
Damn.

Philagape
03-13-2011, 07:30 PM
How's this for tragic ... Rene Robert's brother died of a heart attack this morning. :(

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article366076.ece

Ebenezer
03-13-2011, 08:13 PM
How's this for tragic ... Rene Robert's brother died of a heart attack this morning. :(

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article366076.ece
and ironic.

JD
03-13-2011, 08:31 PM
on the news they said that witnesses saw him slumped over the steering wheel before he hit anything.
Somebody posted on facebook that it was the "worst car accident she'd ever seen".. said the car was absolutely demolished :( hopefully he went quick..

bigbub2352
03-13-2011, 08:37 PM
so sad

G Wolly
03-13-2011, 09:18 PM
hopefully he went quick..

I heard he had a heart attack while driving, which caused him to slump and veer and crash.

I saw him a few times at the games, too nervous to say something because of how much of a legend he is in the world of the Sabres.

I heard the news on the way in to the arena today, and I was shocked.

At least Terry now has an associate "upstairs" to truly help make Buffalo become Hockey Heaven.

R.I.P. Rico

Ebenezer
03-13-2011, 09:29 PM
Somebody posted on facebook that it was the "worst car accident she'd ever seen".. said the car was absolutely demolished :( hopefully he went quick..
They showed film on the news tonight...that is not true. The car was pretty much intact...there has been much, much worse. Civilians who got there first supposedly were able to get him out without much trouble. Some responders think he may have been dead before the crash.

hammerbillsfan
03-13-2011, 11:49 PM
RIP Rick Martin :pray:

hammerbillsfan
03-14-2011, 12:34 AM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vCREh1yHGCI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jan Reimers
03-14-2011, 06:55 AM
Rick was probably my all time favorite Sabre. Never met him, but he was known to be a great person, too.

RIP, Rico.

ddaryl
03-14-2011, 09:18 AM
wow.. they just got together for Pegula's purchase...

sad....

FlyingDutchman
03-14-2011, 02:25 PM
They showed film on the news tonight...that is not true. The car was pretty much intact...there has been much, much worse. Civilians who got there first supposedly were able to get him out without much trouble. Some responders think he may have been dead before the crash.

yeah his dog was in the car and was perfectly fine

FlyingDutchman
03-14-2011, 02:29 PM
it was indeed a heart issue:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=6216584

"BUFFALO, N.Y. -- An autopsy performed on Rick Martin has determined that the former Buffalo Sabres (http://espn.go.com/nhl/team/_/name/buf/buffalo-sabres) star forward died of hypertensive heart disease."

Dozerdog
03-14-2011, 04:07 PM
RIP to one of my heroes

PUCKER
03-14-2011, 04:17 PM

SABURZFAN
03-14-2011, 05:41 PM
RIP Rico

Ebenezer
03-14-2011, 05:52 PM
yeah his dog was in the car and was perfectly fine
It is ironic that Martin's banner hangs next to Horton's. Now, you want to talk about horrific accidents Horton's was far worse. By some reports they were scraping up pieces of TH off the road.

G Wolly
03-15-2011, 12:58 AM
It is ironic that Martin's banner hangs next to Horton's. Now, you want to talk about horrific accidents Horton's was far worse. By some reports they were scraping up pieces of TH off the road.

And Timmy's anniversary was less than a month ago on Feb. 21.

I noticed the similarity today watching the 40th Anniversary dvd.

Essentially, the car did not do in Rico. Timmy was speeding and died from the crash.

It's still a little spooky.

hammerbillsfan
10-05-2011, 10:50 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/10/05/rick-martin-cte-brain-national.html

Boston University researchers have found a degenerative disease linked to head trauma in the brain tissue of the late NHL great Rick Martin, the first 50-goal scorer for the Buffalo Sabres and a member of their famed French Connection line.

Martin, who died in March of hypertensive heart disease at age 59, becomes the third former NHL player found by researchers to have had chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) — a disease that causes cognitive decline, behavioural abnormalities and ultimately dementia.

Fitzpatrick'sbeard
10-05-2011, 11:46 PM
This is why God called him up to Heaven, and in my religion (Christian) the Bible it says that "All things happen for a reason" and I believe that the reason God called Rico up to Heaven is to tell the NHL to wake up!