PDA

View Full Version : Enroth

G Wolly
03-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Keep playing the hot goalie Lindy.

If you put Miller back in, we'll blow this game too.

Enroth needs to see more action than just one game out of every 25, especially when he can keep us in games at times.

Miller just isn't the same reliable guy he used to be, probably because he's overworked with Lalime as a useless back-up.

Enroth looks like he actually cares, and moves quick from side to side and just always looks focused, and Miller just looks sluggish and lazy.

To sum up, Enroth should play Tuesday and the next game or two after.

OpIv37
03-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Enroth gave up 4 goals in his last outing.

Miller gave up 4 goals in his last outing.

How exactly do you conclude that Enroth has the hot hand?

Ebenezer
03-13-2011, 10:30 PM
If LaLime is healthy Enroth will end up back in Portland where he has been playing more than regularly. They did not send him down last week as to save a move.

G Wolly
03-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Enroth gave up 4 goals in his last outing.

Miller gave up 4 goals in his last outing.

How exactly do you conclude that Enroth has the hot hand?

It's not always about goals against in their last game, rather than little things.

Although smaller, I feel Enroth knows where to position himself better. Miller, especially in Toronto, was out of position and sold himself too soon on at least 2 goals.

Miller's last game SA - 29, allowed 4

Enroths last game SA - 38, allowed 4

Now, those are just one game totals, but I feel like Enroth needs more pro experience, and he helps the team out too.

21 GA in 8 games is great, with a 2.78 GAA

Faced 224 shots and stopped 203 of them with a .906 save %

If it was one or two, even three games you could chalk it up to getting lucky. But keeping teams like Minnesota, Montreal, NYR, NJ, PIT, and Boston to 4 goals or less, that's not all luck.

I want to see him play more games.

Electrici
03-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Miller's the best goalie on the team, you play him.

OpIv37
03-14-2011, 06:40 AM
It's not always about goals against in their last game, rather than little things.

Although smaller, I feel Enroth knows where to position himself better. Miller, especially in Toronto, was out of position and sold himself too soon on at least 2 goals.

Miller's last game SA - 29, allowed 4

Enroths last game SA - 38, allowed 4

Now, those are just one game totals, but I feel like Enroth needs more pro experience, and he helps the team out too.

21 GA in 8 games is great, with a 2.78 GAA

Faced 224 shots and stopped 203 of them with a .906 save %

If it was one or two, even three games you could chalk it up to getting lucky. But keeping teams like Minnesota, Montreal, NYR, NJ, PIT, and Boston to 4 goals or less, that's not all luck.

I want to see him play more games.

I agree that Enroth needs more playing time, both for the experience and to give Miller the rest. And he looked good yesterday, with the exception of that sloppy goal in garbage time.

But we are currently tied with the Rangers for the last playoff spot. Carolina is only four points back and we play them next (so it's essentially a 4 point game), and Toronto is only 2 points behind them.

Now is not the time to **** around with getting Enroth some experience.

billsfanryan
03-14-2011, 06:46 AM
I agree that Enroth needs more playing time, both for the experience and to give Miller the rest. And he looked good yesterday, with the exception of that sloppy goal in garbage time.

But we are currently tied with the Rangers for the last playoff spot. Carolina is only four points back and we play them next (so it's essentially a 4 point game), and Toronto is only 2 points behind them.

Now is not the time to **** around with getting Enroth some experience.

I agree. At this point in the season I want a guy in net that has been there before, a guy who has proven himself.

Getting Enroth more experience would be a good idea, but something that should have been done months ago, not now.

Jan Reimers
03-14-2011, 07:00 AM
There is no doubt that Miller will play the bulk of the games down the stretch. He is definitely our number 1 goalie, although he has had a rather pedestrian season.

OpIv37
03-14-2011, 07:21 AM
There is no doubt that Miller will play the bulk of the games down the stretch. He is definitely our number 1 goalie, although he has had a rather pedestrian season.

I think people have set their expectations too high based on the Olympics and Miller's season last year.

The guy is definitely not having his best year, but that being said, he's still better than the majority of the goaltenders in the NHL. Hell, even here in DC, the Caps have managed to improve every aspect of their team in about 3 years, with the exception of goaltending.

Goalies the quality of Miller don't grow on trees.

THATHURMANATOR
03-14-2011, 07:29 AM
Keep playing the hot goalie Lindy.

If you put Miller back in, we'll blow this game too.

Enroth needs to see more action than just one game out of every 25, especially when he can keep us in games at times.

Miller just isn't the same reliable guy he used to be, probably because he's overworked with Lalime as a useless back-up.

Enroth looks like he actually cares, and moves quick from side to side and just always looks focused, and Miller just looks sluggish and lazy.

To sum up, Enroth should play Tuesday and the next game or two after.
4 goals is hot? :down:

Jan Reimers
03-14-2011, 08:05 AM
I think people have set their expectations too high based on the Olympics and Miller's season last year.

The guy is definitely not having his best year, but that being said, he's still better than the majority of the goaltenders in the NHL. Hell, even here in DC, the Caps have managed to improve every aspect of their team in about 3 years, with the exception of goaltending.

Goalies the quality of Miller don't grow on trees.
I think that Miller, over the past several seasons, has been one of the very best goalies in the league. I have watched him game in and game out this season, however, and he appears to me to have slipped into the middle of the pack.

PTI
03-14-2011, 09:01 AM
Miller isn't playing like he is special this year. Enroth has played this season, anyway, like he is just as capable as Miller. That's just the fact of it. Miller has to be the playoff goalie though just from his high profile experience, although Enroth does have some of that too from International tournaments.

THATHURMANATOR
03-14-2011, 09:09 AM
Enroth's Save percentage is lower and his goals against is higher than Miller's

I am glad he was able to battle and win some games but Miller is clearly the better goalie.

Use Enroth to give Miller a rest when necessary for sure but to give him extra starts when Miller is fresh is not smart.

trapezeus
03-14-2011, 09:23 AM
while miller hasn't been spectacular and continues to let him a soft goal every week, he is one of the main reasons the sabres went on this incredible run to go from 10 points out of the playoffs into the 7th seed at this point.

I like enroth's record but when i see him in net, his lack of size makes me nervous on high shots.

he's a good backup option, but i don't think he gives you much more than that.

Ebenezer
03-14-2011, 10:18 AM

The guy is definitely not having his best year, but that being said, he's still better than the majority of the goaltenders in the NHL.

Losing Tallinder and Lydman didn't help.

That being said, Enroth will end up down in the minors to end the season. 'Nuff Said.

Dr. Lecter
03-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Losing Tallinder and Lydman didn't help.

That being said, Enroth will end up down in the minors to end the season. 'Nuff Said.
I don't think he will.

There is now an owner that will accept the extra ~$700,000 in salary being paid to Enroth. I think he stays, especially with the upcoming schedule still calling for Miller to take breaks.

Ebenezer
03-14-2011, 10:34 AM
I don't think he will.

There is now an owner that will accept the extra ~$700,000 in salary being paid to Enroth. I think he stays, especially with the upcoming schedule still calling for Miller to take breaks.

I don't think you're incorrect but if they want to keep Enroth fresh I think they put him in the minors...money is not relevant here.

PTI
03-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Enroth has to be on the playoff roster, they don't trust Lalime to play a regular season game!

chernobylwraiths
03-14-2011, 11:03 AM
Lalime is hurt. Enroth will stay until Lalime is healthy.

SabreEleven
03-14-2011, 12:41 PM
Miller for 2, Enroth for 1 until the end of the season...

Ebenezer
03-14-2011, 01:10 PM
Lalime is hurt. Enroth will stay until Lalime is healthy.

I know...I said that earlier.

G Wolly
03-14-2011, 01:26 PM

I am glad he was able to battle and win some games but Miller is clearly the better goalie.

Use Enroth to give Miller a rest when necessary for sure but to give him extra starts when Miller is fresh is not smart.

Well when comparing 57 games to 8 games played, the totals won't be totally fair for comparison.

OpIv37
03-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Well when comparing 57 games to 8 games played, the totals won't be totally fair for comparison.

um, when doing statistics, larger sample sizes are always better than smaller sample sizes. Basically, the 8 game sample size for Enroth is too small to come to any meaningful conclusions. Sure, Enroth's stats might look better if he had more starts. They could also look worse.

Again, now is not the time to risk it. If we have 3 games in 4 nights, sure, give Miller a night off against the weakest team in the stretch. But don't sit Miller at this point in the season just because Enroth needs experience and/or has a "hot hand."

PTI
03-14-2011, 01:45 PM
Or play Enroth against teams Miller historically stinks against. We already played Penguins 4 times, and lost all 4, Miller is like 2-10-2 or something, if we didn't already play all 4 that is a game that should go to Enroth. Not sure who Miller stinks against all the time? Islanders and Panthers (might be done with those 2 as well).

trapezeus
03-14-2011, 02:00 PM
3 more back to backs before the end of the season. i'd give him florida or the devils next week assuming that lalime's "injury" keeps him out til then.

i realize that's how the sabres chose to operate, but me personally, enroth would be up here the whole time and would get one game aside from teh back to backs where there is "something on the line" to get him mentally ready for the pressure of playoff hockey.

Who knows, groins are tricky things for goalies. they can come back at any time, and enroth might just have to be the guy. i doubt the sabres would ride a healthy lalime past filling in a game in the playoffs.

THATHURMANATOR
03-14-2011, 02:11 PM
Why not?

G Wolly
03-14-2011, 02:31 PM
Why not?

The same way Rookies are compared to Veterans. We've seen Miller's game for over 5 years. We've seen hints of Enroth's ability to play in the NHL and comparing the two at this point in time can't be fair.

um, when doing statistics, larger sample sizes are always better than smaller sample sizes. Basically, the 8 game sample size for Enroth is too small to come to any meaningful conclusions. Sure, Enroth's stats might look better if he had more starts. They could also look worse.

Yes, I agree, and based on the large sample of what we have seen Miller do, we pretty much know what to expect, and theoretically, so does the opposition.

However, if we toss Enroth in, he can be just as helpful as Miller is/used to be.

And I'm not necessarily calling for him to finish the rest of the season or anything, just that he needs another few games under his belt this year.

He knows how to play his game and I'm a fan, and I'd like to see him get more playing time.

THATHURMANATOR
03-14-2011, 02:42 PM
The same way Rookies are compared to Veterans. We've seen Miller's game for over 5 years. We've seen hints of Enroth's ability to play in the NHL and comparing the two at this point in time can't be fair.

Yes, I agree, and based on the large sample of what we have seen Miller do, we pretty much know what to expect, and theoretically, so does the opposition.

However, if we toss Enroth in, he can be just as helpful as Miller is/used to be.

And I'm not necessarily calling for him to finish the rest of the season or anything, just that he needs another few games under his belt this year.

He knows how to play his game and I'm a fan, and I'd like to see him get more playing time.
How bout at Portland where Enroth's stats are also worse than Miller's in both categories?

To be calling for Enroth to encroach on Miller's playing time is idiotic IMO....

JD
03-14-2011, 02:45 PM

Do you remember how atrocious Miller was at Enroths age? :rofl:

I say we trade Miller at the end of his contract. I have faith in Enroth as a starter and our young goalies in the farm.

THATHURMANATOR
03-14-2011, 02:49 PM
Do you remember how atrocious Miller was at Enroths age? :rofl:

I say we trade Miller at the end of his contract. I have faith in Enroth as a starter and our young goalies in the farm.
It isn't that easy to just trade Miller. If we did I would definitely want a proven veteran goalie. I do like what I have seen out of Enroth but no where near wanting to bank on him as our starter.

I would definitely keep Miller going forward and keep Enroth as the backup.

Not sure why everyone is so quick to get rid of Miller.

G Wolly
03-14-2011, 02:50 PM
How bout at Portland where Enroth's stats are also worse than Miller's in both categories?

To be calling for Enroth to encroach on Miller's playing time is idiotic IMO....

So is comparing an AHL team to an NHL team.

Sure, most of the guys down there are/will be in the NHL, but not all of them are that great.

When Enroth comes up, he has guys like Myers, Sekera, Montador, Morrisson, Leopold in front of him. Not the elite group of D-men, but professional D-men.

And maybe a part of Enroth's game is the pressure of holding up an NHL team. Maybe he takes on that pressure and puts every single ounce/inch/piece of himself into doing the best he can so he can prove he deserves a spot on this team.

Instead of Miller, who knows he has a job and at least to me, looks lazy and sluggish lately.

chernobylwraiths
03-14-2011, 02:53 PM
I remember people calling for Frank Reich to start over Jim Kelly too.

OpIv37
03-14-2011, 02:57 PM
It isn't that easy to just trade Miller. If we did I would definitely want a proven veteran goalie. I do like what I have seen out of Enroth but no where near wanting to bank on him as our starter.

Seriously. We know Lalime's a waste. Enroth looks decent but hasn't proven anything yet. And Miller is the least of this team's problems.

If some other team wants to be stupid and give us the hockey equivalent of the Herschel Walker trade, Miller shouldn't be untouchable, but getting rid of him is not priority. There are at least 12 guys on this team I'd try to move before even thinking about moving Miller.

THATHURMANATOR
03-14-2011, 04:33 PM
So is comparing an AHL team to an NHL team.

Well you didn't like my NHL to NHL comparison.

By this logic shouldn't he be dominating in the AHL if he is ready to be our # 1 in the NHL???

THATHURMANATOR
03-14-2011, 04:33 PM
Seriously. We know Lalime's a waste. Enroth looks decent but hasn't proven anything yet. And Miller is the least of this team's problems.

If some other team wants to be stupid and give us the hockey equivalent of the Herschel Walker trade, Miller shouldn't be untouchable, but getting rid of him is not priority. There are at least 12 guys on this team I'd try to move before even thinking about moving Miller.
For once Thurm and OP are in complete agreement!! GWOLLY has FAILED on this one!

JD
03-14-2011, 08:31 PM

It's only a matter of time before Enroth wants out. He's 22 years old.

Miller turns 31 in July. I honestly think he has about 3-5 years left in the tank, which is why I say trade him somehow after his contract expires.

He'll likely want 9-10 million a season. I'd rather spend that elsewhere in 3 years.

SabreEleven
03-14-2011, 08:36 PM
I remember people calling for Frank Reich to start over Jim Kelly too.

Jim Kelly never would have won the Comeback Game again the Oilers. He didn't have the patience

G Wolly
03-15-2011, 01:00 AM
Well you didn't like my NHL to NHL comparison.

By this logic shouldn't he be dominating in the AHL if he is ready to be our # 1 in the NHL???

Twisting my words, I see.

I didn't say he should be our #1 goalie or that Miller should be demoted.

When you have a reliable back-up, you PLAY HIM to REST your STARTER.

Nice to see you jumped on Op's bandwagon this time.

Your argument is starting to sound like his style, by pointing out obvious points that I'm not arguing against.

I know Enroth hasn't "proven anything" but the kid can play, which is why I want to see him gain more experience and play more games.

chernobylwraiths
03-15-2011, 05:45 AM
Jim Kelly never would have won the Comeback Game again the Oilers. He didn't have the patience

I don't know if the team would have been down 35 - 3 with Jim Kelly under center either.

chernobylwraiths
03-15-2011, 05:48 AM
Twisting my words, I see.

I didn't say he should be our #1 goalie or that Miller should be demoted.

When you have a reliable back-up, you PLAY HIM to REST your STARTER.

Nice to see you jumped on Op's bandwagon this time.

Your argument is starting to sound like his style, by pointing out obvious points that I'm not arguing against.

I know Enroth hasn't "proven anything" but the kid can play, which is why I want to see him gain more experience and play more games.

You want to rest arguably our best player for his backup down the playoff stretch where we are barely hanging onto a playoff spot? All because our backup has won a few games (several in a shootout) and has played decent?

You have suggested that Enroth is about as good as Miller is, for that alone you are practically insane.

SabreEleven
03-15-2011, 06:18 AM
I don't know if the team would have been down 35 - 3 with Jim Kelly under center either.

Because the Bills never got blown out when Jim Kelly played?

chernobylwraiths
03-15-2011, 06:22 AM
Because the Bills never got blown out when Jim Kelly played?

Because the offense usually wasn't that stagnant when Kelly played.

PTI
03-15-2011, 09:02 AM
You want to rest arguably our best player for his backup down the playoff stretch where we are barely hanging onto a playoff spot? All because our backup has won a few games (several in a shootout) and has played decent?

You have suggested that Enroth is about as good as Miller is, for that alone you are practically insane.

I won't suggest Enroth is better or as good as Miller as a player, but is he playing as well as Miller is playing? Pretty darn close. We have not had a guy around here as a backup play this well, since, maybe Ryan Miller was a backup, or Marty Biron had a great run when Miller was hurt. Maybe not that Enroth has been super spectacular, but the team has responded with him in net. Sabres are like 8th in goals per game, that is how they have won this season anyway, not by superb play in net. Miller will have to steal a game or two before the season ends, but the Sabres have found the net this season, albeit in in consistent fashion.

chernobylwraiths
03-15-2011, 11:02 AM
I don't believe it is as close as you seem to think it is.

Tiburon1724
03-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Lalime belongs in the AHL, Enroth belongs as Miller's backup. It's obvious especially since Ruff refuses to even let Lalime play! Why don't they send Lalime packing?!

G Wolly
03-15-2011, 12:14 PM

Well, again, take my words as I said them instead of making arguments out of nothing.

I didn't say, "forget Miller, play Enroth until the season is over."

All I said is that if we want some kind of shot at winning a few playoff games, our starter needs to get more than one game off at a time and Enroth is a reliable goalie in the 8 games he has played.

We have about what, 14 or 15 games left?

I would have no problem seeing Enroth play at least 3 of those games.

Miller isn't the only key to winning, and I'm not saying we need to move on from Miller or anything else you people are trying to twist my words into.

trapezeus
03-15-2011, 12:15 PM
First off i like Miller, but they handle him with kid's gloves at times. He seemingly has made a big deal to keep lalime because they are close. He's got a reasonable contract and the trade off is that miller plays all the freaking time.

but it's coming to light that miller might be better with more rest than he realizes, but they are too scared to take away his best friend. It is what it is, but it can't go on next year. they have to make him happy, but it can't be this detrimental to the team. they literally can't play without a backup anymore.

Enroth i think has taken all he'll get out of the AHL. he needs to be tested at this level through practices as the backup. and he needs to see some rotational experience in regular season games. Who knows, the sabres might have the other guy in the AHL (what's his name again) who is blooming. having a backup goalie like enroth as trade bait is more helpful than having a useless washedup goalie

JD
03-15-2011, 12:47 PM

I believe he is comparing the two based on this year alone.. I agree with him.

The almighty Ryan Miller is at the bottom of the league in both GAA & S%.. so it's not out of this world to say there are SEVERAL goaltenders better than him and plenty, including enroth, who are playing at his level this year.

G Wolly
03-15-2011, 01:39 PM
I believe he is comparing the two based on this year alone.. I agree with him.

And I'm also not calling for Miller's head and suggested Enroth be the starter until the season is completely over, which is how my words are being twisted.

All I'm saying is he needs more NHL game experience and could handle a few more games in this season to rest Miller more.

I remember back when Miller was at Enroth's level and had not "proven anything" either. Look at him now.

trapezeus
03-15-2011, 03:18 PM
i just don't think enroth's body type lends to him being a dominant goaltender in the NHL. I feel like he's too reliant on being quick while bigger goalies like miller rely on strategically knowing when to cut down the shooting spaces.

Enroth seems to me as a goalie from another era. i like him in the backup role. i think i'd have a heart attack if i saw him playing a lot of games as the sabres #1

JD
03-15-2011, 03:27 PM
i just don't think enroth's body type lends to him being a dominant goaltender in the NHL. I feel like he's too reliant on being quick while bigger goalies like miller rely on strategically knowing when to cut down the shooting spaces.

Enroth seems to me as a goalie from another era. i like him in the backup role. i think i'd have a heart attack if i saw him playing a lot of games as the sabres #1

He's 5'11, the same height as Tim Thomas, there goes your logic. :whistle:

trapezeus
03-15-2011, 04:25 PM
5'11 is pretty short for modern day goalies.

plus watching him play, he just seems to give up a lot of the top part of the net.

i'm not saying i'm undoubtedly correct. i'm saying this is my impression of him.

JD
03-16-2011, 12:22 AM
He'll just have to come out further, about three more inches than the average goalie.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0FMsSVvJSaI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

G Wolly
03-16-2011, 10:48 AM
5'11 is pretty short for modern day goalies.

plus watching him play, he just seems to give up a lot of the top part of the net.

That's my only concern is his height, but he does a well enough job of getting in the way to stop shots.