PDA

View Full Version : Bills Second Round Prospects: Martez Wilson

patmoran2006
03-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Martez Wilson, Illinois (ILB)

One of the nation’s top football recruits out of a Chicago-area high school, Wilson spurned offers from powerhouses such as Miami (Fl.), USC, and Notre Dame to play for his local Illini. The 22-year-old’s calling cards are his physicality and knack for disrupting plays in the backfield. With 112 tackles (11.5 behind the line of scrimmage) and four sacks last season, the 6-foot-4, 250 pounder flashed the play-making ability to be a tempting option to many NFL teams come April.

After missing virtually all of the 2009 season with a herniated disc, Wilson returned to anchor Illinois’ front seven in his final campaign. Primarily used as an inside linebacker, he also found success towards the end of the 2010 season in rushing off the edge.

While many NFL scouts believe he is a more natural fit in the 4-3 scheme, Wilson possesses the versatility to play inside linebacker in a 3-4 as well. An aggressive attacker in the gaps, he uses his upper body strength to deliver the hit and bring down the ball carrier. In coverage, he is effective at disrupting receivers crossing the middle of the field and has the speed to stay with them through the play. His 4.49 time in the 40-yard dash was the best out of all linebackers in the recent combine.

Buffalo has taken only one second-round linebacker since the turn of the century. Coincidentally, that pick was also #34 overall, a 2007 selection that yielded fan-favorite Paul Posluszny. One has to imagine Buffalo would be happy to land a player of at least similar caliber at pick #34 in 2011.

Why He’s A Fit For The Bills: Anyone who witnessed Buffalo’s painfully sub-par linebacking corps last season would agree that this a clear position of need for the team. Veterans Akin Ayodele, Reggie Torbor, and Chris Kelsay struggled mightily to stop the run and threaten the opposing quarterback. The unit desperately needs to get younger and more talented in a hurry if the Bills want to be taken seriously on the defensive side of the ball.

Wilson’s ability to play in both a 3-4 and a 4-3 makes him an ideal candidate to step in and bolster this part of the squad. Having drawn comparisons to Miami’s Karlos Dansby, Wilson seems like a logical fit on paper to fight for a starting spot right away.

Much of the Bills success next season will ride on whether or not they can put any kind of regular pressure on the opposing team’s quarterback. Adding a force like Wilson in the middle, who has good closing speed to the backfield would figure to pay early dividends in that department. If Posluszny is eventually re-signed and Shawn Merriman starts the year healthy, an addition of Wilson to the interior would be a great improvement on a group that lacked any kind of intensity in 2010.

Why He’s Not a Fit:
Some of the knocks on Wilson include questions about his instincts, as he did show tendencies to over-pursue the ball and end up several yards behind the action. Buffalo’s linebackers suffered mightily from misreading plays in 2010, and if the team is concerned that Wilson will take time to develop in that area, they could choose to go another direction. Scouts also question Wilson’s lower body strength, as his legs lack the proportionate bulk of his sturdy upper half. Although not a major concern, he will need to focus on that area to consistently shed blocks at the NFL level.

Also worth considering is the fact that Wilson missed all but one game in 2009 with the neck problem. Already equipped with injury risks in Merriman, Andra Davis, and Posluszny, the Bills may shy away from a player who has a history there. Additionally, Wilson was mixed up in a bar-fight in 2008, resulting in his suffering a knife wound. Running a team that has historically appreciated high-character prospects, Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey will have to do their homework to ensure they like their targets’ intangibles.

Chance He’s Available At Pick 34: Fairly good. Wilson does have strong competition in his class, which many analysts feel will ultimately push him into the second round. Highly heralded Von Miller will likely be the first linebacker off the board, and other distinguished candidates like Robert Quinn, Justin Kerrigan, and Akeem Ayers are also expected to precede the Illinois product. Keep an eye on the Patriots, Jets, Steelers, and Packers, all of whom pick at the end of the first round and could be looking to fill holes at the position. If a run on linebackers starts to take place by that time, Wilson could sneak into the first round, but the majority of experts are confident he’ll be a day two pick.

Chances He Gets Drafted By Buffalo: It’s tough to see the Bills passing on a talent like Wilson, but stranger things have happened. Most mock drafts did not see Buffalo nabbing Jairus Byrd in the second round in 2009 or Torrell Troup in 2010. The front office will stick to their board, and that list could be quite different than anything the mock drafts are currently churning out.
Obviously, much of this discussion hinges on what the Bills do in the first round. If they spring for Miller at number three overall, they will almost certainly go another direction with their next pick. But one thing is apparent – if Nix and Gailey linger long in picking up a new linebacker, it means they are putting a lot of trust in their veterans to stay healthy and their younger guys to develop. If they feel that Arthur Moats, Danny Batten, and possibly even Aaron Maybin are enough depth to surround the starters, they will address other areas of the team that they think need a boost.

No matter who the Bills decide on in the second round, it is imperative that he is able to contribute sooner rather than later. Wilson looks like he could provide an instant spark to a team that badly needs it. If Nix has a guy in mind who may not be there by round three, he will pull the trigger without much hesitation.

Whether or not that player is a household name remains to be seen.
Previously: Kyle Rudolph (http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/bills-prospects-kyle-rudolph/)

Night Train
03-14-2011, 05:11 PM
I like MLB Kelvin Sheppard of LSU far more. Less athletic but far more willing to stuff the hole at the LOS and a leader.

better days
03-14-2011, 05:21 PM
I like MLB Kelvin Sheppard of LSU far more. Less athletic but far more willing to stuff the hole at the LOS and a leader.

I have heard many people say Wilson is the best ILB in the draft.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-14-2011, 07:09 PM
wilson for some reason doesnt looks stout enough... hes to skinny... jmo

Buddo
03-14-2011, 07:39 PM
Interestingly enough, one of the guys from PFT (not Florio), is an alumni of his college, and when he was putting up the fast times etc. at the combine, this guy actually made a point of saying that Wilson was a pretty big disappointment to his college, as he was expected to be much better than he turned out to be. The guy also stated pretty categorically, that he had seen just about all of Wilson's snaps for that college.
I do believe the knock about 'instincts' was mentioned. I think I posted a link to the piece, around the time it was posted, in another thread that had people raving about his 40 time. It's worth looking at if you can find it, or maybe just search PFT for it.
As we've seen in the past, other fans are pretty often correct in their assessments of players for teams they follow, and it raises a question mark or two for me tbh.

Extremebillsfan247
03-14-2011, 07:43 PM
We have youth at the LB position, that isn't the problem. The problem is size. We had LBs last year who are built for a 4-3 trying to play in a 3-4 defense. That's why the majority of them had trouble staying healthy. We need bigger more physical LBs.

Although I'm not opposed to going with a LB early in the draft, taking a risk on a player with pre existing conditions is asking a lot with the 34th pick especially with a lot of pretty good talent still likely to be available at that point. If the Bills miss out on Dareus in the first, you could probably put some money down on them grabbing a Dlineman at 34. JMO

patmoran2006
03-14-2011, 07:52 PM
Solid views...

Extremebillsfan247
03-14-2011, 08:34 PM
If we do draft a linebacker and he's all smiles and giddy, they need to send him back to college. lol I'm tired of those types of players in a Bills uniform. For once I would like to see them get a good character guy but with a very nasty temperament on the field. I like the chip on his shoulder type linebackers. We haven't seen one of them in Buffalo in awhile. It sure would be nice to have. JMO

bigbub2352
03-14-2011, 08:53 PM
would love it please please let this happen and take dareous in the 1st

then take the TE from Tenn if he is there in the 3rd

tampabay25690
03-14-2011, 10:15 PM
I have heard many people say Wilson is the best ILB in the draft.

Wilson is the best ILB in the draft.
Shepperd will be around in the 3rd.....

TigerJ
03-14-2011, 10:44 PM
Sounds like Wilson would be a great MLB for a Tampa 2 defensive scheme, though I'm sure he can grow into a 3-4 ILB. Anyone remember a 3-4 ILB the Bills had back a couple decades ago name Shane Nelson? He had skinny legs too.

DraftBoy
03-15-2011, 07:29 AM
Wilson could play OLB in the 3-4 as well. Selling him short saying he is a 3-4 ILB only. He has the speed to work off the edge, while it may not be his best position, in a pinch or for a different look you put him out there and watch him play.

His versatility and athleticism are what make him attractive as a prospect.

alohabillsfan
03-15-2011, 08:09 AM
Wilson could play OLB in the 3-4 as well. Selling him short saying he is a 3-4 ILB only. He has the speed to work off the edge, while it may not be his best position, in a pinch or for a different look you put him out there and watch him play.

His versatility and athleticism are what make him attractive as a prospect.

I agree 100%. At 6'4" and 250 with speed to burn he can line up just about any where. I just dont know about his football smarts and the flags of "he lacks insticts" which is critical at ILB.

Buddo
03-15-2011, 08:30 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/28/martez-wilson-is-combines-fastest-linebacker/

That's the link I was on about before.
One aspect that could be considered in Wilson's favour, is the knock on his coaches. It might be that NFL coaches can get more out of him.
As I said before, the guy certainly looks like he'd fit what we are after, and I wouldn't be entirely disappointed if we did draft him, but the comments are definitely worth taking on board.

psubills62
03-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Yeah, Ron Zook and co. aren't exactly known for their gameday prowess as coaches.

k-oneputt
03-15-2011, 10:46 AM
Yeah, Ron Zook and co. aren't exactly known for their gameday prowess as coaches.

I guess they knew enough to kick the crap out of Penn St. in "Happy Valley"

DraftBoy
03-15-2011, 11:02 AM

Zook is 2-4 v. PSU since being at Illinois, 1-2 at PSU. The beating Zook put on PSU at Happy Valley was nowhere near the beating JoePa put on Zook in 05 in Champagne to the tune of 63-10.

psubills62
03-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Yeah, they beat the worst PSU team in 5-6 years. :rolleyes: Are you supporting Zook or making a lame attempt at insulting PSU? Because it would sound like you have a lot of respect for Zook for going into State College and beating PSU ;)

k-oneputt
03-15-2011, 02:43 PM
Not a fan of Zook. wasn't good enough for the SEC, thus they shipped him to the Little -10.
2005 ??? LOL, we are in 2011. Latest game was Illinois beating the crap out of Penn State on their home field. Like I said before, time for Joe Pa to go. Unless you like starting a Div.3 qb.

Try again.

psubills62
03-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Not a fan of Zook. wasn't good enough for the SEC, thus they shipped him to the Little -10.
2005 ??? LOL, we are in 2011. Latest game was Illinois beating the crap out of Penn State on their home field. Like I said before, time for Joe Pa to go. Unless you like starting a Div.3 qb.

Try again. :rofl: short memory because that's the only thing that makes your point. Zook is 2-6 against Paterno, no matter how much you try to swing it. Remember how Zook had a 23-14 record during his 3 years in the SEC, but is 28-45 in the Big Ten? Good times.

k-oneputt
03-15-2011, 03:13 PM
I could go 23-14 at Florida.

Only thing I remember is last years beating. Funny you throw a guy under the bus that just smoked your yearly overrated team. One more year of making cash before they send PApa packing.

Good luck with the qb race, if Joe Pa goes with McCloin you know he's totally lost it.

psubills62
03-15-2011, 03:21 PM
I could go 23-14 at Florida.

Only thing I remember is last years beating. Funny you throw a guy under the bus that just smoked your yearly overrated team. One more year of making cash before they send PApa packing.

Good luck with the qb race, if Joe Pa goes with McCloin you know he's totally lost it. Who cares what you remember? Everything before 2010 tells a different story. Funny how I throw a guy under the bus who has a 28-45 record in the Big Ten and has only beaten PSU twice? Yeah, funny how that goes.

Yearly overrated? :rofl: One bad year. Look at any stat in the last 5 years or so with PSU and you'll see that 2010 was an anomaly, not the norm. Mack Brown had a bad year in 2010 too, I guess it's time for him to go.

k-oneputt
03-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Keep drinking the kool-aid.

PSU football might be back sometime. They can keep PaPa for another ten years as far as I'm concerned. $$$$$.

You're right I would be better then 23-14, thanks for the guarantee though.

psubills62
03-15-2011, 03:46 PM
Keep drinking the kool-aid.

PSU football might be back sometime. They can keep PaPa for another ten years as far as I'm concerned. $$$$$.

You're right I would be better then 23-14, thanks for the guarantee though. Zook is a horrible gameday coach. It's a mystery to me as to how he and Saban found relative success in the SEC compared to their Big Ten careers. Or maybe it's not. ;)

Seriously, I love how you argue like you're five years old. "You're right I would be better then 23-14" :rofl:

k-oneputt
03-15-2011, 06:41 PM
LOl, just when I can get a "guarantee"