PDA

View Full Version : Ok, the Players Union with an ultra douche move

Mad Max
03-14-2011, 07:43 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6216135

Uh what?

You have the nerve to deprive these guys of their moments in the sun. Deprive them of something many of them and their families have likely dreamed about for much of their lives.

Also let's be real here, for a good portion of the draftees the proverbial "15 minutes of fame" is all there's going to be in otherwise vacuous careers. Why take that from them?

Just as a technical aside, are the draftees even members of the NFLPA before they even get drafted/signed? Oh wait, didn't they de-certify? So an organization that doesn't even exist is passing down edicts now. Nice, well played..or NOT.

Ebenezer
03-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Uh what?

You have the nerve to deprive these guys of their moments in the sun. Deprive them of something many of them and their families have likely dreamed about for much of their lives.

Also let's be real here, for a good portion of the draftees the proverbial "15 minutes of fame" is all there's going to be in otherwise vacuous careers. Why take that from them?

Just as a technical aside, are the draftees even members of the NFLPA before they even get drafted/signed? Oh wait, didn't they de-certify? So an organization that doesn't even exist is passing down edicts now. Nice, well played..or NOT.
For those of us not tied to the news - what are you talking about??

Mad Max
03-14-2011, 07:46 PM
For those of us not tied to the news - what are you talking about??

not sure why the sub-title didn't appear..anyway it's there now

Ebenezer
03-14-2011, 07:47 PM
not sure why the sub-title didn't appear..anyway it's there now
thank you :up:

Ebenezer
03-14-2011, 07:49 PM
the owners just have to sit back and let the players make PR fools of themselves...

better days
03-14-2011, 07:54 PM
Even before they decertified, the NFLPA had no right to ask such a thing because the College players are not members until after they are drafted & signed by teams.

Really a stupid move by the NFLPA. First they put the season in jeopardy & now they want to try and ruin the draft for the fans & draftees alike. What a bunch of asses, way to get fans on your side NFLPA. NOT.

TacklingDummy
03-14-2011, 07:56 PM
I stand behind the owners. If there isn't a season next year, so be it.

It's not like the Bills were going to be any good anyways.

Mad Max
03-14-2011, 07:59 PM
the owners just have to sit back and let the players make PR fools of themselves...

Ya things are getting a bit out of control when a group that has the likes of Jerrah Jones and Dan Snyder as constituents are the good guys? yikes

Extremebillsfan247
03-14-2011, 08:40 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6216135

Uh what?

Just as a technical aside, are the draftees even members of the NFLPA before they even get drafted/signed? Oh wait, didn't they de-certify? So an organization that doesn't even exist is passing down edicts now. Nice, well played..or NOT. Man, I could imagine that Andrew luck is just all smiles from ear to ear right now that he decided to go back to Stanford for another year. lol

BertSquirtgum
03-14-2011, 11:49 PM
i can't believe the nflpa. what a bunch of clowns. the guys running the "union" and starting lawsuits are a bunch of dirt bags and do not the deserve the millions of dollars that the fans made them. i can't believe the amount of greed being shown by the players. if it wasn't for the owners initial investment in a team, the players wouldn't have a job to begin with. therefore the owners, should have a higher percentage paid to them. it's not like the players have 1 billion dollars invested in the "businesses."

jcdavey
03-15-2011, 02:58 AM
maybe i'm alone in this opinion but , who cares if college players attend the draft?

i was always mainly interested about the name being called, not the person being there to wear his new teams cap lol

Luisito23
03-15-2011, 03:18 AM
Greedy ass union!!

EricStratton
03-15-2011, 05:28 AM
The NFLPA isn't forcing anyone to do anything but as an incoming draftee why would I want my first encounter with the new set of players I will play with and against to be negative.

From what was said a few days ago the agents for most of these guys told their players to stay away long ago anyway for that reason.

And like jcdavey said, what the hell difference does it make. A player walks the stage and gets to be interviewed by Marshall Faulk and Chris Berman, big deal.

All this move does it makes the jobs of ESPN and the NFL Network harder.

TMu11
03-15-2011, 05:49 AM
The Bills need to sign Keanu Reeves and field a replacement team.

X-Era
03-15-2011, 05:53 AM
It only ends up being, say, a dozen players out of a huge draft anyways. It will take away from some of the appeal but personally I don't think it's that big of a deal anyways.

Truth is, the players rights are owned (in the NFL) based on who drafts them, and not showing up has no affect on that.

Is it a petty, bitter ***** move? Yes.

Yasgur's Farm
03-15-2011, 06:02 AM
Even before they decertified, the NFLPA had no right to ask such a thing because the College players are not forced to become members until after they are drafted & signed by teams.

Really a stupid move by the NFLPA. First they put the season in jeopardy & now they want to try and ruin the draft for the fans & draftees alike. What a bunch of asses, way to get fans on your side NFLPA. NOT.Fixed it for you.

Night Train
03-15-2011, 06:53 AM
More of the players superior mediation/negotiation skills.

Ickybaluky
03-15-2011, 06:57 AM
The NFLPA (the association) has said they are merely "suggesting" players don't attend the draft. Reportedly, the NFLPA is going to set up an alternative location where those players can watch the draft and be interviewed once they are selected, run by the PA. They may work with ESPN to coordinate.

Night Train
03-15-2011, 07:04 AM
Reportedly, the NFLPA is going to set up an alternative location where those players can watch the draft and be interviewed once they are selected, run by the PA.

They're considering either a soup kitchen or a strip club.

DraftBoy
03-15-2011, 07:23 AM
Patrick Peterson has already said he hasn't been contacted and plans to be in NY;

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Patrick-Peterson-wants-to-attend-the-NFL-draft-in-New-York.html

"I heard about that," Peterson said. "No one has contacted me to go to New York or not go to New York. I would like to go if possible. That's what you play football for.

"That's a big moment to go up there and shake the commissioner's hand and get that jersey and hat. It means a lot. I definitely want to go and no one has told me not to go. So, we'll see what happens. "

ddaryl
03-15-2011, 07:29 AM
Patrick Peterson has already said he hasn't been contacted and plans to be in NY;

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Patrick-Peterson-wants-to-attend-the-NFL-draft-in-New-York.html

What people forget is if the owners want to back the players in the corner and gain fan favor all they have to do is have someone release info that isn't true and the lemming will lap it up like the sheeple they are.

It also could be a couple of players who suggested this to a few college players but as a collective they don't want that.

but hey if it was tweeted it must be true.... remember people twitter is for twits

trapezeus
03-15-2011, 08:25 AM
actually again this will be where the fan suffers. can you imagine paying for tickets and then going to the draft to see no one go up on stage. the NFL has no problem takin gyour money and the players have no problem that you didn't get to see of the future stars.

THRILLHO
03-15-2011, 09:34 AM
More evidence the NFLPA did not want to get a deal done. They are already assuming no deal will be done by Apr 28 by asking the prospects not to show.

ddaryl
03-15-2011, 09:51 AM
More evidence the NFLPA did not want to get a deal done. They are already assuming no deal will be done by Apr 28 by asking the prospects not to show.

LOL!.. and yet no potential 1st rd draft pick has said they have been asked to boycott.... but someone tweets it and it goes viral so it must be true

stop being sheeple

TedMock
03-15-2011, 10:08 AM
Mike and Mike reported this today as well. They had Herm Edwards on and he was less than happy. All three agreed that this is a petty move by the "union" and these kids should not be used as bargaining chips. Edwards pointed out that this will all eventually be settled and everybody will kiss and make up, but why take this moment in the sun away from the players and their families? I agree with him here. It accomplishes absolutely nothing in negotiations. Zero. So now, we have kids who have yet to be drafted being put in an impossible situation. Either isolate themselves in the locker room their first year, or upset their future bosses. If this is all true, the league and owners should just keep their mouths shut right now and let the players and their reps continue to shoot themselves. Stupid.

justasportsfan
03-15-2011, 10:21 AM
The NFLPA isn't forcing anyone to do anything but as an incoming draftee why would I want my first encounter with the new set of players I will play with and against to be negative.From what was said a few days ago the agents for most of these guys told their players to stay away long ago anyway for that reason.

And like jcdavey said, what the hell difference does it make. A player walks the stage and gets to be interviewed by Marshall Faulk and Chris Berman, big deal.

On the flipside, why would you want your first encounter with your employer to be negative? Players aren't the ones writing the checks.

TacklingDummy
03-15-2011, 11:02 AM

He might wish he stayed home after he finds out the Bills picked him.

better days
03-15-2011, 11:03 AM
The NFLPA isn't forcing anyone to do anything but as an incoming draftee why would I want my first encounter with the new set of players I will play with and against to be negative.

From what was said a few days ago the agents for most of these guys told their players to stay away long ago anyway for that reason.

Well the NFLPA CAN"T force any drafted player to do anything.

Aside from depriving fans the chance to see the player the team just drafted, they would also be depriving that player a once in a lifetime experience which I'm sure includes many perks aside from being interviewed on National television.

DraftBoy
03-15-2011, 11:06 AM
LOL!.. and yet no potential 1st rd draft pick has said they have been asked to boycott.... but someone tweets it and it goes viral so it must be true

stop being sheeple

The ironic aspect is that you call people sheeple, but refuse to put aside you're own bias and favortism. Just because Peterson hasnt been contacted doesnt ment others havent as well.

Considering how many credible sources are reporting on this and nobody is the NFLPA is anyway denying it makes me believe its true.

But continue to believe this is a ploy by the owners, which btw would make no sene, considering it could be easily denied and would make them look beyond stupid.

Id stop with the sheeple comments though.

ddaryl
03-15-2011, 11:20 AM
The ironic aspect is that you call people sheeple, but refuse to put aside you're own bias and favortism. Just because Peterson hasnt been contacted doesnt ment others havent as well.

Considering how many credible sources are reporting on this and nobody is the NFLPA is anyway denying it makes me believe its true.

But continue to believe this is a ploy by the owners, which btw would make no sene, considering it could be easily denied and would make them look beyond stupid.

Id stop with the sheeple comments though.
No... People can be and are being sheeple.. People are spouting off their hatred feelings on something that may not be true at all. If my sheeple comments bother people, put me on ignore please, but without proof people are spouting off viral rants of hatred on this thing...

My favoritism ????????? I have an opinion, but that doesn't change the fact here... Nobody has been able to confirm this as true. When it's confirmed then people can spread it around in a viral fashion. It also doens;t change the fact that someone has to play devils advocate here as well.

Until we hear actual college players discussing this then as far as I'm concern it's one comment that has gone viral on the web... yet again

it happens all the friggin time.. Someone tweets something and it takes a life of its own... and it especially prone to that given the fanaticism of fans in general... Happens in politics and we've seen it with the NFL.

Where's the confirmation from college players... If it happened then lets get the facts straight from the mouth of those that have been asked to boycott.

As for a ploy by the owners. It might not be the owners themselves but a group with owner interest in mind who placed the info out there. Could be just one owner who has connections. Could be just a 1 player who made the comment and not he players in general.

If there is no confirmation from players involved then the possibility it is hear say is high... Meanwhile the web is going crazy with this.. Could be a Mission accomplished by someone

DraftBoy
03-15-2011, 11:26 AM
No... People can be and are being sheeple.. People are spouting off their hatred feelings on something that may not be true at all. If my sheeple comments bother people, put me on ignore please, but without proof people are spouting off viral rants of hatred on this thing...

My favoritism ????????? I have an opinion, but that doesn't change the fact here... Nobody has been able to confirm this as true. When it's confirmed then people can spread it around in a viral fashion. It also doens;t change the fact that someone has to play devils advocate here as well.

Until we hear actual college players discussing this then as far as I'm concern it's one comment that has gone viral on the web... yet again

it happens all the friggin time.. Someone tweets something and it takes a life of its own... and it especially prone to that given the fanaticism of fans in general... Happens in politics and we've seen it with the NFL.

Where's the confirmation from college players... If it happened then lets get the facts straight from the mouth of those that have been asked to boycott.

As for a ploy by the owners. It might not be the owners themselves but a group with owner interest in mind who placed the info out there. Could be just one owner who has connections. Could be just a 1 player who made the comment and not he players in general.

If there is no confirmation from players involved then the possibility it is hear say is high... Meanwhile the web is going crazy with this.. Could be a Mission accomplished by someone

You're call dude, simply pointing out the irony in you calling people sheeple, when the argument can be made you fit the same category on the other side of this.

But let me take your stance on the opposite side. When the NFLPA publicly denounces this and says they aren't doing it, then Ill believe its just a ploy by another party.

Not going to buy into the conspiracy theory on this one.

DraftBoy
03-15-2011, 11:30 AM
And the truth shall set you free!

George Attalah confirms through that blasted twitter thing that everybody knows is basically lies.

The NFL Draft is special. Players and their families will be in NYC. It just maybe different. We will provide details when we can.
3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply » GeorgeAtallah George Atallah

Let me also correct the record: the NFLPA is not asking anyone to 'boycott' anything. NFL Draft in particular.
4 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply » GeorgeAtallah George Atallah

Lots of interesting commentary on the possible NFL Draft issue. Fans rightfully frustrated. We will set the record straight today

Spin it how each side wishes, this whole thing is bull****.

better days
03-15-2011, 11:37 AM

Well, Mad Max cited an article by Adam Schefter a very reliable reporter in his original post. That is not a tweet.

ddaryl
03-15-2011, 11:39 AM
You're call dude, simply pointing out the irony in you calling people sheeple, when the argument can be made you fit the same category on the other side of this.

But let me take your stance on the opposite side. When the NFLPA publicly denounces this and says they aren't doing it, then Ill believe its just a ploy by another party.

Not going to buy into the conspiracy theory on this one.

There is no irony here on my part. I think people need to gather their facts before spewing hatred rhetoric the way they are. it's not just here it's other places as well.

My conspiracy theory posted yesterday was only a probability of a possible other explanation for the tweet, given the lack of facts in the story... I wouldn't put it past either side to leak info that could be damaging to the other side. We see it ALL THE TIME.

Real news on this is hard to find. The best I can find is there was some discussion between the NFLPA and agents and the agents are the ones who are supporting this and they are the ones advising their players.

From that very brief report they also will set up a place where players will be interviewed etc... after their names are called. Players are going to stick together, and college players are future NFL players...

The NFL Players Association has reportedly considered organizing a boycott to keep top prospects from attending the draft. There is no official arrangement or edict from the NFLPA, which after filing for decertification Friday, now classifies itself as a trade association. The NFLPA met and held conference calls with top agents about this topic prior to the Super Bowl and, as NFL Network and NFL.com reported, there was strong support among numerous top agents to boycott the draft entirely. ... Furthermore, several top agents have broached to me the possibility that veteran players could try to picket in Manhattan near Radio City Music Hall, where the draft is held, in the event a lockout is ongoing that weekend.

Read more: http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/272933-nflpa-may-push-for-draft-boycott?eref=fromSI&eref=fromSI#ixzz1GgelYG7n

DraftBoy
03-15-2011, 11:48 AM
More credence that will be discared as lying;

Pro days have been pushed aside by the hottest topic in the league right now -- the NFLPA reportedly asking players to boycott the draft.

Several reports Monday claimed the NFLPA was asking some of the draft's top prospects not to attended the festivities at Radio City Music Hall.

One agent who represents a top 12 prospect said he was furious with the union and stated they should not exploit the players for the benefit of the NFLPA. "Why use kids that have never been part of the union as pawns for the NFLPA?" the agent said. "This is a big moment for my player and his family. They are excited about traveling to New York and standing on the stage in front of the world once their name is announced. This is a moment in his life he will never get back."

Moreover, it's a bit ironic considering the players being asked to boycott the draft and show solidarity with the NFLPA are the same players who may have a rookie wage scale imposed on them as part of a new CBA.

"It will be an all or nothing situation," said another agent, one who says he understands why the NFLPA wants to boycott the event and why the players want to attend the draft. "You won't get some players at one event and a few at the other."

The agent speculated the NFLPA would enlist a player with the popularity of someone such as Peyton Manning to inform the top players of the necessity of not attending the draft. He also speculated it's possible the league would pay the top players to attend the event at Radio City Music Hall, an appearance fee if you will. Considering the logistics of flying players, family and friends to New York as well as housing, feeding and entertaining them, he expects a final decision to be made within two weeks.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/nfl-draft-pro-days-2011/index.html#ixzz1GghOraaI

DraftBoy
03-15-2011, 11:57 AM
More flasehoods;

Imagine this on the first night of the 2011 NFL Draft in New York City:

Roger Goodell walks across the stage at Radio City Music Hall at the start of round one, steps to the microphone and says, "Welcome to the 2011 NFL Draft. With the first pick of the draft, the Carolina Panthers select Blaine Gabbert, quarterback, Missouri.'' Less than a mile away, at a Times Square Hotel, Gabbert stands, shakes hands with some of his prospective draftees, and walks up on another stage, where future Panthers teammates Jordan Gross and Steve Smith greet him with hugs.

Minutes pass. "With the second pick of the 2011 NFL Draft,'' Goodell says, "the Denver Broncos select Marcell Dareus, defensive tackle, Alabama.'' Dareus walks onstage across town, and future mates Elvis Dumervil and Champ Bailey hug him.

You get the picture. Under a plan now under consideration -- and those are the key words, now under consideration, because the idea isn't set in stone yet -- the decertified NFL Players Association would ask top picks to skip the annual NFL draft party and pre-draft events to attend a separate event organized by players. I am told the prospective rookies won't be ordered to do this. But the suggestion would be a strong one to rookies-to-be and their agents.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/03/15/nflpa-draft-boycott/index.html#ixzz1GgjVBPxI

psubills62
03-15-2011, 12:04 PM
More flasehoods;

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/03/15/nflpa-draft-boycott/index.html#ixzz1GgjVBPxI
Talk about putting the draftees in a difficult situation. Scorn the NFL or their future teammates. I have to imagine they'll choose the latter, but that's a horrible situation to put these kids in.

trapezeus
03-15-2011, 12:07 PM
i honestly can't believe that people would side with the owners. the owners tried to remove $1BN for no reason whatsoever, and set up a tv contract that puts the clamps on the players. This is a straight up power grab. the nfl came out pretty good and more profitable even in 2008 and 2009 during the crisis.

Their desires for new stadiums aren't a factor of stadiums falling apart its because they want higher premiums and they want others to pay for it. This is absurd. The players are the first to get screwed.

Both sides are at fault for rocking the boat when nothing needed to be touched. They've been on a 20-30 year growth plan with astronomical figures where everyone has benefitted. Simply put, neither side should have come out with such gigantic differences.

But all good things come to an end because greed always kicks in.

ddaryl
03-15-2011, 12:23 PM
More credence that will be discared as lying;

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/nfl-draft-pro-days-2011/index.html#ixzz1GghOraaI

For the record never discounted anything as being a lie. Not once in this thread.

better days
03-15-2011, 12:28 PM
i honestly can't believe that people would side with the owners. the owners tried to remove $1BN for no reason whatsoever, and set up a tv contract that puts the clamps on the players. This is a straight up power grab. the nfl came out pretty good and more profitable even in 2008 and 2009 during the crisis.

Their desires for new stadiums aren't a factor of stadiums falling apart its because they want higher premiums and they want others to pay for it. This is absurd. The players are the first to get screwed.

Both sides are at fault for rocking the boat when nothing needed to be touched. They've been on a 20-30 year growth plan with astronomical figures where everyone has benefitted. Simply put, neither side should have come out with such gigantic differences.

But all good things come to an end because greed always kicks in.

Well, I can't believe anyone would side with the players. The players aren't the first to get screwed the fans are.

Extremebillsfan247
03-15-2011, 12:31 PM
More flasehoods;

Here is what angered me in that whole article. One unidentified agent had this to say " I can tell you this: There're a few quarterbacks who could get picked high in this draft and the NFL will invite to New York. All those quarterbacks would do by attending the draft for the NFL is giving DeMarcus Ware more incentive to knock their blocks off the first time they line up across the line of scrimmage from him.''

So now agents of NFL players have stooped so low as to start hypothetically threatening prospects who may want to attend a once in a lifetime event? the absurdity of that is beyond ridiculous in my opinion. This thing is about to get out of hand and uglier than I think anyone initially thought. It's sad to see that this sport has come to this.

EricStratton
03-15-2011, 01:57 PM
On the flipside, why would you want your first encounter with your employer to be negative? Players aren't the ones writing the checks.

How many owners are going to knock your head off going over the middle or treat you like crap on a road trip?

Maybe no players will either but these are your future teammates and union brothers so I can see this coming into consideration.

ddaryl
03-15-2011, 02:11 PM
Here is what angered me in that whole article. One unidentified agent had this to say " I can tell you this: There're a few quarterbacks who could get picked high in this draft and the NFL will invite to New York. All those quarterbacks would do by attending the draft for the NFL is giving DeMarcus Ware more incentive to knock their blocks off the first time they line up across the line of scrimmage from him.''

So now agents of NFL players have stooped so low as to start hypothetically threatening prospects who may want to attend a once in a lifetime event? the absurdity of that is beyond ridiculous in my opinion. This thing is about to get out of hand and uglier than I think anyone initially thought. It's sad to see that this sport has come to this.

maybe you should take a trip down memory lane of what happens when scabs used to cross the picket lines....

nobody had to say it. Players are going to remember, and there going to take out those frustrations on the field. Probably will cause some strife in the locker room too.

I guess what I find funny is people expect it to be different ? this is a labor dispute and this is how it goes. If a draftee wants to ignore the dispute you're going to deal with some ill feelings....

I also believe in the 80's when the scabs came to play. A few players made it to NFL camps the next season and they weren't greeted with open arms.

justasportsfan
03-15-2011, 02:18 PM
How many owners are going to knock your head off going over the middle or treat you like crap on a road trip?.
what is this, high school? In the end, the coaches tell you what to do on the field and not the players.

Maybe no players will either but these are your future teammates and union brothers so I can see this coming into consideration.

I hear what you are saying but I was pointing out the flipside . In other words, don't piss off your teammates and don't piss off the hand that feeds you.

DraftBoy
03-15-2011, 02:32 PM
For the record never discounted anything as being a lie. Not once in this thread.

For the record I never once accused you of using said term.

better days
03-16-2011, 10:27 AM
maybe you should take a trip down memory lane of what happens when scabs used to cross the picket lines....

nobody had to say it. Players are going to remember, and there going to take out those frustrations on the field. Probably will cause some strife in the locker room too.

I guess what I find funny is people expect it to be different ? this is a labor dispute and this is how it goes. If a draftee wants to ignore the dispute you're going to deal with some ill feelings....

I also believe in the 80's when the scabs came to play. A few players made it to NFL camps the next season and they weren't greeted with open arms.

Well, what is worse, the draftees going to NYC to the draft or past & maybe current NFL players crossing the picket line to play in games?

The NFLPA is united for now but when they start to miss paychecks the guys that need a check to pay the bills will want to get this thing settled. I will bet there will be plenty of them.

I think it is a shame that anyone would want to deny a drafted player a once in a lifetime opportunity. This is like graduation to them & it will never happen for them again.