If the players don't push back on the owners...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stewie
    Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
    • Aug 2002

If the players don't push back on the owners...

Who will?

Fans?
    The Government?
    Broadcasters?
    NFL Partners?

What market forces are set in place to counterbalance the natural capitalistic greed from the ownership side?

In a free market, for everything to stay healthy, there has to be checks and balances. If there isn't a check, something else is going to get seriously unbalanced.

It may get to the point where a family of four couldn't even afford to go to a game, let alone get season tickets. Or taxpayers may have to foot the bill for palaces and cathedrals built near underfunded schools.

But I'm digressing... if the players don't push back on the owners, who will?
    Originally posted by Topdog
    Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
    Originally posted by mercyrule
    I love Weiner.
    Originally posted by mercyrule
    also cheese
  • Jeff1220
    H to the 12:20
    • Jul 2002

Re: If the players don't push back on the owners...

Originally posted by Stewie
    Who will?

Fans?
    The Government?
    Broadcasters?
    NFL Partners?

What market forces are set in place to counterbalance the natural capitalistic greed from the ownership side?

In a free market, for everything to stay healthy, there has to be checks and balances. If there isn't a check, something else is going to get seriously unbalanced.

It may get to the point where a family of four couldn't even afford to go to a game, let alone get season tickets. Or taxpayers may have to foot the bill for palaces and cathedrals built near underfunded schools.

The players aren't in this to help the fans. They're in it for themselves. What they do in this CBA will not do anything to reduce ticket, merchandise, or DTV Sunday Ticket prices.
    And, as far as I'm concerned, the NFL is already at the point where an average family can't afford to go to the games. And w/PSLs, most fans couldn't even consider season tix. I used to love going to games, but in wisely prioritizing my spending, I can't even consider going to games on a regular basis or ever bringing the entire family out to a game some Sunday.
    As crazy the salaries in baseball are, at least they still set and tier ticket prices so that the average fan can still go see the games.

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

The "greed" is on both sides of the table.
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• psubills62
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2008

You could say the same thing about the players. Both groups have a certain amount of power in this struggle, and both groups are needed to check each other.

I know there's no limit to greed, but at the same time, if the players weren't commanding such a huge portion of the pot, I doubt the owners would be quite as inclined to raise prices of tickets.
        "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

Who will?

Fans?
          The Government?
          Broadcasters?
          NFL Partners?

The only thing the players pushing back on the owners does is to push prices up for the fans.

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

Nobody.
            COMING SOON...
            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• stuckincincy
              Buffalo Bills Fan
              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by better days
              The only thing the players pushing back on the owners does is to push prices up for the fans.
              The NFLPA is a different kind of union. Most unions want to expand membership, but this one doesn't...its' an exclusive closed shop, IMO.

Some say that the roster limits, and the number of game-day players who can dress - came from the owners. I'm not so sure. Roster size restrictions concentrate the money pot for the union member "ins."

We all recall the term. "taxi squad."

Long ago, the NFLPA could have addressed the rookie $ issue - $ not available to their unionized laborers. I'm sure that the owners would have been receptive to any overture.
              Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Goobylal
                • Jan 2004

Why should anyone push back against the owners? It's their league. When the players enter the draft, of their own volition, and sign a contract, again of their own volition, they choose to abide by the rules of the NFL. And for that they are rewarded with $325K minimum and an average of $1.9M salaries, and the chance to make big money as an UFA after a few years. If they don't like it or feel they're being unfairly treated, they can enter the UFL, AFL, or CFL. Enough is enough.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                  Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                  • Jul 2002

Last time I checked, the owners are the ones who should be getting more of the pie...that's just business. As soon as the players realize this fact, the better for everybody.

Comment

• Mike
                    • Jan 2009

As crazy the salaries in baseball are, at least they still set and tier ticket prices so that the average fan can still go see the games.
                    baseball has 10x more games. It was designed back in the day, way back, when there was no tv, no radio, no real entertainment, and it was designed so any familly or kid can go to a game just about any day of the week. I think they play almost everyday!

If the NFL has even half the games of MLB then ticket prices would be far more affordable. There are only 16 games, and each game means a lot. In this regard its similar to -vaguely- to the World Cup of Soccer which each game means everything and its played every four years. To go to last World Cup of Soccer and watch your team play its Group Games would have cost you $30,000(preliminary all inclusive package) and up! Thats for 3 games...
                    Please Make Sense

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
                      • Nov 2009

Who will?

Fans?
                      The Government?
                      Broadcasters?
                      NFL Partners?

Whoa, Stewie...don't you know that the owners have a ton of money, so you just do whatever and people need to accept that and then it will all be easier...

**** that.

It's already where you are fearing it might get to. Four season tickets is going to run you around $3000. I don't care how you cut it, that is an investment. Then you have to get to the stadium, park, eat, get a sweatshirt, and on and on...

Your concerns are real, and if the second dip in the recession, as has been predicted, hits, the owners and players might not have to worry about who gets how many billions of dollars....unless Snooki, Paris Hilton, The Donald, and the Koch Brothers buy 70,000 tickets and 50,000 sweatshirts and hats, and 35,000 beers, and park 25,000 cars, etc.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                        Buffalo Bills Fan
                        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Mike
                        baseball has 10x more games. It was designed back in the day, way back, when there was no tv, no radio, no real entertainment, and it was designed so any familly or kid can go to a game just about any day of the week. I think they play almost everyday!

If the NFL has even half the games of MLB then ticket prices would be far more affordable. There are only 16 games, and each game means a lot. In this regard its similar to -vaguely- to the World Cup of Soccer which each game means everything and its played every four years. To go to last World Cup of Soccer and watch your team play its Group Games would have cost you $30,000(preliminary all inclusive package) and up! Thats for 3 games...
                        Baseball...IRRC, the Pirates are in their 18th consecutive losing season. TThere was an article in my Sunday n'paper. The Yankess have a payroll of $200M+, the Pirates are last at $34M.

The Pirate owners don't care - with the tv $, trinket $ etc., they are rolling in it regardless of attendance.

Your point about the many games is noted. One can attend a MLB game - even with a by-design podunk team like PGH, and you might still see a win. And you can enjoy the game despite a loss.
                        Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                          In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                          • Jul 2002

If the owners get too greedy- it opens the possibility of a rival league starting up and offering top talent an alternative- see the USFL.

But on the other hand- top tier players are just as greedy- they will sign on the dotted line that gives them the best $$$$ regardless of what their union brothers think.

Comment

• ddaryl
                            Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                            • Jan 2005

if we want prices to come down only the fans can push back.. The players are pushing for a fair chunk, the owners are pushing for their fair chunk.

NEITHER SIDE has even sniffed at reducing prices for fans,

People are suggesting a NFL boycott, but I know sports fans.. they'll come running back with open arms

Comment

• EricStratton
                              • Jul 2002

All the feelings on the side of ownership would be more valid is there wasn't an anti-trust exemption in place.

NFL ownership isn't really a free market because a big checkbook isn't enough to get into an exclusive club. Ownership can and does limit who can buy a team and limits, beyond salary, what teams and owners can do with those teams.

The same argument about players choosing to play in the NFL is valid for owners who choose to buy into the NFL.

Ownership, with the help of congress, has eliminated the competition because of the exemption.

Comment

Working...
                              X