• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ed
    Dude
    • Sep 2002

John Clayton thinks we should draft Cam Newton

I don't agree with his comments about the 3-4, but Clayton thinks the Bills should take Newton.

Successful pro days are helping QBs such as Cam Newton and Ryan Mallett solidify their draft stock, John Clayton writes in his latest mailbag.

Q: Given the wide range of talent in this year's draft class, if you were the Bills' GM, who would you want to take with the third overall pick?

Alan in Portland, Ore.

A: If I were the Bills' GM, I'd draft Cam Newton. Chan Gailey can design a good offense for him to develop, even if he's only a 54-percent thrower as a rookie. Gailey likes to work with mobile quarterbacks, and you're not going to find one more talented than the 6-foot-5, 248-pound Newton. Sure, the Bills can draft a defensive player, but I think their talent is better suited for a 4-3 than a 3-4. If they keep drafting for a 3-4 scheme, they are going nowhere. This is a quarterback-driven league and the Bills have had only two first-round quarterbacks selected in their history. It's time to step up and take a Newton.
  • Bangarang
    • Sep 2010

Re: John Clayton thinks we should draft Cam Newton

Clayton also thinks that a team trying to switch to a 3-4 will get nowhere by actually drafting players for a 3-4 scheme. I'm glad he's not the Bills' GM.

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
      • Nov 2009

John Clayton is known as "baby-carrot-dick" among NFL insiders.

He thinks we should draft Newton...I think he should jump in the lake...everybody can't be right all of the time.

Clayton should just buy a team and then he could draft whoever his little baby carrot desired.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
        The Voice of Reason
        • Jul 2007

Wow, the muppet still has an opinion? I thought he'd be done by now...
        Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• trapezeus
          Legendary Zoner
          • Oct 2004

he thought the bills wouldn't win a game last year and had nothing to say when we played a lot of teams very closely.

he is very anti-bills even when they were decent.

Comment

• Philagape
            WIN NOW
            • Jul 2002

Not that it was necessary, but this is the final nail in the draft-Newton coffin for me. If Clayton thinks it, I don't want it.
            "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
            2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• tampabay25690
              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Ed
              I don't agree with his comments about the 3-4, but Clayton thinks the Bills should take Newton.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ohn&id=6215077
              I agree 190%% about the 3-4 comments.
              This team is built as a 4-3 right now.
              GO Gators!!!!!!
              GO GATORS!!

Comment

• psubills62
                Legendary Zoner
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by tampabay25690
                I agree 190%% about the 3-4 comments.
                This team is built as a 4-3 right now.
                I don't think we're built to be anything right now. They've committed to switching to a 3-4, so I'd rather they just keep drafting for that, to be honest. Maybe after 1-2 more drafts, we'll look more like a 3-4 D. I really don't think we'd do well in either alignment currently.
                "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• tampabay25690
                  • Feb 2004

Originally posted by psubills62
                  I don't think we're built to be anything right now. They've committed to switching to a 3-4, so I'd rather they just keep drafting for that, to be honest. Maybe after 1-2 more drafts, we'll look more like a 3-4 D. I really don't think we'd do well in either alignment currently.
                  If we had to field a team right now we are a 4-3............
                  Not even close to a 3-4..

I do agree that we need to upgrade all over the place and get depth.
                  GO Gators!!!!!!
                  GO GATORS!!

Comment

• HAMMER
                    I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                    • Jul 2003

People need to get ready for Peterson or a QB at 3. I think the depth of DE in this draft has OBD thinking they can get a top tier DE in the 2nd, ILB in 3rd.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Bangarang
                      Clayton also thinks that a team trying to switch to a 3-4 will get nowhere by actually drafting players for a 3-4 scheme. I'm glad he's not the Bills' GM.
                      Funny you should say that. I remember back before Andrew Luck decided to go back to Stanford how the majority of posters in this message board were all about the importance of drafting that franchise QB for the very same reason that Clayton says we should take Newton. "its a quarterback driven league" isn't a new statement to this board. lol It's amazing how many opinions change over the course of a few months. JMO

Comment

• Philagape
                        WIN NOW
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Extremebillsfan247
                        Funny you should say that. I remember back before Andrew Luck decided to go back to Stanford how the majority of posters in this message board were all about the importance of drafting that franchise QB for the very same reason that Clayton says we should take Newton. "its a quarterback driven league" isn't a new statement to this board. lol It's amazing how many opinions change over the course of a few months. JMO
                        Because with Luck, there was a franchise QB available, in many posters' eyes. The importance of a franchise QB is irrelevant if there isn't one available.
                        "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                          Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Why does John Clayton still have a job?

Before the NFL Network, before Adam Shafter and Mike Mayock, John Clayton used to have inside scoops who could feed him some expertise details. Now all he does is regurgitate what other people regurgitate.

He needs to go report on Women's college lacrosse instead.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Philagape
                            Because with Luck, there was a franchise QB available, in many posters' eyes. The importance of a franchise QB is irrelevant if there isn't one available.
                            lol if he were really that good, do you really think we would have a chance at drafting him 3rd overall with Carolina and Denver sitting in front of us? Highly unlikely. We would still be in this same position regardless.

Comment

• Philagape
                              WIN NOW
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Extremebillsfan247
                              lol if he were really that good, do you really think we would have a chance at drafting him 3rd overall with Carolina and Denver sitting in front of us? Highly unlikely. We would still be in this same position regardless.
                              The debate began well before the final draft order was set. Luck is why several posters wanted to lose games.

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

Working...
                              X