PDA

View Full Version : Newton reminds me of Culpepper

THATHURMANATOR
03-15-2011, 02:56 PM
I knew he reminded me of a player but it wasn't coming to me.

Culpepper before he completely blew that knee out was amazing.

OpIv37
03-15-2011, 02:59 PM
He reminds me of Vince Young.

Physically gifted but immature and a potential head case.

ServoBillieves
03-15-2011, 03:04 PM
He reminds me of Michael Vick because he's African American.

AB4now
03-15-2011, 03:08 PM
He reminds me of Michael Vick because he's African American.
:monkeyp: :goodpost: :censored: great observation...... douche.

Mr. Miyagi
03-15-2011, 03:18 PM
I've said Culpepper before too. Agree with Thurm.

Jaybird
03-15-2011, 03:21 PM
I knew he reminded me of a player but it wasn't coming to me.

Culpepper before he completely blew that knee out was amazing.

he's much more mobile then Culpepper, but both have a great arm.

Extremebillsfan247
03-15-2011, 03:26 PM
The way he handled himself at Auburn, there were times where he reminded me a lot of Randall Cunningham. He probably wont ever be that good, but with the right coaching, and setting at the pro level, who knows? he may actually turn out to be pretty good. JMO

tampabay25690
03-15-2011, 03:52 PM
He reminds me of Vince Young.

Physically gifted but immature and a potential head case.

He actually reminds me nothing of Vince Young.

Reminds me of a more gifted and athletic BIG BEN.....

Extremebillsfan247
03-15-2011, 04:00 PM

Reminds me of a more gifted and athletic BIG BEN..... That's who a lot of scouts are comparing Newton's skill set to, Ben Roethlisberger.

THATHURMANATOR
03-15-2011, 04:34 PM
he's much more mobile then Culpepper, but both have a great arm.
agreed but just the size of player and throwing motion even. Culpepper could move too. Newton even more so.

TigerJ
03-15-2011, 06:42 PM

Did you miss the sarcasm alert?

TacklingDummy
03-15-2011, 06:47 PM
He reminds me of the next Buffalo bust.

TigerJ
03-15-2011, 06:48 PM
As far as Newton compared with Culpepper, I think we don't know all that much about Newton. He's big like Culpepper was. He's more athletic, I think. Culpepper was reputed to be not the sharpest tool in the shed when he came out of college. I don't think we really know about Newton. He comes across as reasonably articulate even though he hasn't always made great choices. I'm curoius about his Wonderlic score. Anyone hear yet?

tampabay25690
03-15-2011, 09:04 PM
That's who a lot of scouts are comparing Newton's skill set to, Ben Roethlisberger.

To be honest it's obvious...
Don't think u need to be a scout to see it...

OpIv37
03-15-2011, 10:20 PM

Reminds me of a more gifted and athletic BIG BEN.....

I wasn't talking about his play. I was talking about the fact that they're both mental midgets and I suspect Newton will fall apart the second things don't go his way just like Young did.

ServoBillieves
03-15-2011, 11:36 PM

Compare him to a white quarterback and we'll have an argument. Douche.

He's got the mentality of Holcomb but the arm of Losman... How do we mold this? Was that worse? Yeah, you do that and I will be impressed that you can't only compare him to another African American quarterback.

Or are you more mad that I didn't use the PC form of some of my good friends? Which I don't know because I'm not racist nor care.

Does he have the mentality of Manning or Brady? Does he have Schaub's arm? Yeah. Piss on my post again you arrogant idiot.

tampabay25690
03-16-2011, 07:32 AM
I wasn't talking about his play. I was talking about the fact that they're both mental midgets and I suspect Newton will fall apart the second things don't go his way just like Young did.

So Newton is a mental midget???
The guy went threw so much crap last year and played threw it....
By the way he won the Heisman and National Championship......

Cam seems pretty tough inside to be honest...
To call him a mental midget is pure idiotic statement.....
But you have the right for an opinion....

Luisito23
03-16-2011, 07:49 AM
Spenceanator...:ebby:

Mr. Miyagi
03-16-2011, 08:02 AM
Culpepper was reputed to be not the sharpest tool in the shed when he came out of college. I don't think we really know about Newton. He comes across as reasonably articulate even though he hasn't always made great choices. I'm curoius about his Wonderlic score. Anyone hear yet?
No Wonderlic score yet. In fact if it's not leaked out by now, I'm betting it's loooooooooooooow.

Maybe you and I aren't seeing the same thing, but in all the Newton interviews I've seen, he sounded quite dumb. No he didn't do a lot of Jason Peters type "uh....uh....." but he had a lot of filler words, bubbling on and on without really answering any questions and no substance in his responses. It's like there's really not there.

Extremebillsfan247
03-16-2011, 08:46 AM
No Wonderlic score yet. In fact if it's not leaked out by now, I'm betting it's loooooooooooooow.

Maybe you and I aren't seeing the same thing, but in all the Newton interviews I've seen, he sounded quite dumb. No he didn't do a lot of Jason Peters type "uh....uh....." but he had a lot of filler words, bubbling on and on without really answering any questions and no substance in his responses. It's like there's really not there.

Ben Roethlisberger scored a 25 on it, is dumber than a box of rocks, but the dude can play QB better than a whole bunch of QBs who scored higher than him on the wonderlic. The wonderlic test doesn't make or break a QB. If that were the case, Fitzpatrick would be the best QB in the NFL right now, and he isn't even close to that. The wonderlic test is over rated.

As far as media interviews go, Tom Brady doesn't exactly wow people either. Some people are comfortable with media interviews, and some aren't. Again, it doesn't make or break a QB. The ONLY thing that determines whether a QB can make it in the NFL is how he performs on Sundays. Newton has yet to reach that plateau. Thinking he isn't going to be a good QB based on how he scores on the wonderlic or how he interviews is kind of weak from an argumentative stand point. JMO

tampabay25690
03-16-2011, 08:47 AM

WOW.......
The guy can play does that matter at all in Football anymore.
Maybe the 1st QB taken should be the smart guy that scores the best on the wonderlic..................Or he can be the 1 that is the future clip board holder....

OpIv37
03-16-2011, 08:49 AM
So Newton is a mental midget???
The guy went threw so much crap last year and played threw it....
By the way he won the Heisman and National Championship......

Cam seems pretty tough inside to be honest...
To call him a mental midget is pure idiotic statement.....
But you have the right for an opinion....

Idiotic? Really?

He cheated his way through class rather than study... twice. And was dumb enough to cheat in a way where he got caught.

He was in possession of a stolen laptop.... which even if he didn't steal it himself, you have to wonder why he didn't suspect it was stolen when he bought it. It's pretty easy to identify stolen property.

He's already described himself as an "icon" and he hasn't even been drafted yet.

Does this sound like a Rhodes scholar to you?

tampabay25690
03-16-2011, 09:02 AM
Idiotic? Really?

He cheated his way through class rather than study... twice. And was dumb enough to cheat in a way where he got caught.

He was in possession of a stolen laptop.... which even if he didn't steal it himself, you have to wonder why he didn't suspect it was stolen when he bought it. It's pretty easy to identify stolen property.

He's already described himself as an "icon" and he hasn't even been drafted yet.

Who cares what he did at Florida.....
Yea hes not winning any media award no doubt.
But the guy can play ball...........He dominated College football last year.....

Big Ben is a great QB and he is a rapist........
Ray Lewis had someone killed and he is a great football player......

We all stole things and cheated in our lives......
Give the guy a chance and see hwat he can do.......

We don't want him to be a road scholar anyway......

OpIv37
03-16-2011, 09:30 AM
Who cares what he did at Florida.....
Yea hes not winning any media award no doubt.
But the guy can play ball...........He dominated College football last year.....

We all stole things and cheated in our lives......
Give the guy a chance and see hwat he can do.......

We don't want him to be a road scholar anyway......

hahahahaha.... not all stealing and cheating is equivalent. What a ridiculous comment. If you don't think character matters, look up Adam "Pacman" Jones or Marshawn Lynch.

And lots of QB's dominated college football- Jamarcus Russell, Vince Young, Ryan Leaf, Brady Quinn, Jimmy Claussen, Matt Leinart, etc. You can dominate college football with a strong arm and athleticism. The NFL is completely different.

Philagape
03-16-2011, 09:34 AM

Those things don't raise questions about how hard they study.

tampabay25690
03-16-2011, 09:39 AM
hahahahaha.... not all stealing and cheating is equivalent. What a ridiculous comment. If you don't think character matters, look up Adam "Pacman" Jones or Marshawn Lynch.

And lots of QB's dominated college football- Jamarcus Russell, Vince Young, Ryan Leaf, Brady Quinn, Jimmy Claussen, Matt Leinart, etc. You can dominate college football with a strong arm and athleticism. The NFL is completely different.

I understand what you are saying...
Character issues may be a problem you are right....
But he could be a special player......

alohabillsfan
03-16-2011, 09:40 AM
Please enough of the Big Ben is a great QB. If he was QB of the Bills our record would be just about the same. He has a great defense and running game .....

tampabay25690
03-16-2011, 09:40 AM
Those things don't raise questions about how hard they study.

I agree with that.

tampabay25690
03-16-2011, 09:41 AM
Please enough of the Big Ben is a great QB. If he was QB of the Bills our record would be just about the same. He has a great defense and running game .....

Dont most Great QB'S have a good team around them?
He wasn't darfted by Buffalo so we will never know anyway......
By the way his OL has been suspect at best and he still seems to find wasy to win....

better days
03-16-2011, 10:01 AM
WOW.......
Maybe the 1st QB taken should be the smart guy that scores the best on the wonderlic..................Or he can be the 1 that is the future clip board holder....

If Newton had been a great QB for 3 or 4 years in the SEC, I think you would have a better case for him but he was a one year wonder in the year the rest of the SEC was down.

I wonder how he would have matched up to Florida's Championship team or Alabama's Championship team. I would bet not so well.

Extremebillsfan247
03-16-2011, 10:25 AM
If Newton had been a great QB for 3 or 4 years in the SEC, I think you would have a better case for him but he was a one year wonder in the year the rest of the SEC was down.

I wonder how he would have matched up to Florida's Championship team or Alabama's Championship team. I would bet not so well.lol If Newton had 3 or 4 years like he had last year it would border on historic. He was a major reason why Auburn was unbeatable in 2010. But none of that matters now. Who ever drafts him will ultimately find out if he is the real deal or not. If the Bills pass on him, and he turns out to be a really good QB, anyone making the case that he isn't going to be any good can't then be mad at them for passing on him. JMO

Mr. Miyagi
03-16-2011, 10:30 AM
I don't know. You could be right. He could turn out to be a HOFer. But none of us really know for sure other than our gut feels. And mine is that he'll more Vince Young than Rothelisberger.

OpIv37
03-16-2011, 10:32 AM
I understand what you are saying...
Character issues may be a problem you are right....
But he could be a special player......

we really aren't that far off on this. I agree he COULD be special, but I just think it's far too risky for the Bills. He's a risky player at the position that is notoriously the biggest risk. No draft pick is guaranteed, but picking Newton carries extra risk. We really need production from this pick and just can't afford that extra risk right now.

better days
03-16-2011, 10:36 AM
lol If Newton had 3 or 4 years like he had last year it would border on historic. He was a major reason why Auburn was unbeatable in 2010. But none of that matters now. Who ever drafts him will ultimately find out if he is the real deal or not. If the Bills pass on him, and he turns out to be a really good QB, anyone making the case that he isn't going to be any good can't then be mad at them for passing on him. JMO

My point is he had ONE great year & that was in a year the rest on the SEC was DOWN. He did not face the great Florida teams or Alabama teams he would have faced if he was in the SEC rather than Jr. College.

He could be great but it is just as likely he is a bust IMO.

Extremebillsfan247
03-16-2011, 11:16 AM
My point is he had ONE great year & that was in a year the rest on the SEC was DOWN. He did not face the great Florida teams or Alabama teams he would have faced if he was in the SEC rather than Jr. College.

He could be great but it is just as likely he is a bust IMO. Oh there is no argument that it was just one great year. But if you look at Auburn in 09, they were 8-5, not even ranked by years end. Enter Newton and they instantly become unbeatable, and vaulted to the top college team in the country by the end of 2010. That's quite a jump in team performance for a one year wonder regardless of what the other SEC teams did.

That is why he is being viewed under such a high volume microscope by NFL teams. Everyone of them wants to know how he did it. They want to know what we do, is he capable of doing that at the next level or is he just a flash in the pan? Somebody is going to have to step up and take a chance in order to find that out. It's the only way anyone will be sure at this point. Rumor has it that the team willing to take that chance is Carolina.

THATHURMANATOR
03-16-2011, 11:23 AM
Idiotic? Really?

These things don't necessarily mean he has a low intellect Op. He may have poor values, or he could very possess a low IQ but the above does not prove it in any way.

Mr. Miyagi
03-16-2011, 11:49 AM
WOW.......
I don't know how you can know for sure that the guy can play in the NFL.

He did well for one year in college.

So did Aaron Maybin.

Extremebillsfan247
03-16-2011, 11:54 AM
I don't know how you can know for sure that the guy can play in the NFL.

He did well for one year in college.

So did Aaron Maybin.Aaron Maybin didn't lead Penn St. to an undefeated season, or to a national championship either.

DraftBoy
03-16-2011, 11:55 AM
He reminds me of Joe Namath!

OpIv37
03-16-2011, 12:05 PM
These things don't necessarily mean he has a low intellect Op. He may have poor values, or he could very possess a low IQ but the above does not prove it in any way.

agreed, but they do raise questions and increase the risk in drafting Newton.

We're talking about the #3 overall pick, plus paying the guy millions of dollars that will count against a presumed salary cap, plus the opportunity cost of not taking someone to help our horrendous run D.

Anything that adds to the risk needs to be considered.

THATHURMANATOR
03-16-2011, 12:10 PM
agreed, but they do raise questions and increase the risk in drafting Newton.

We're talking about the #3 overall pick, plus paying the guy millions of dollars that will count against a presumed salary cap, plus the opportunity cost of not taking someone to help our horrendous run D.

Anything that adds to the risk needs to be considered.
I hear that.

I am a huge QB advocate but I am not going to freak out if the team goes in another direction. They can't afford to miss on another pick. I will be ok with taking Newton or Gabbert if the team has faith in one of them becoming a top flight player.

better days
03-16-2011, 01:19 PM
Oh there is no argument that it was just one great year. But if you look at Auburn in 09, they were 8-5, not even ranked by years end. Enter Newton and they instantly become unbeatable, and vaulted to the top college team in the country by the end of 2010. That's quite a jump in team performance for a one year wonder regardless of what the other SEC teams did.

That is why he is being viewed under such a high volume microscope by NFL teams. Everyone of them wants to know how he did it. They want to know what we do, is he capable of doing that at the next level or is he just a flash in the pan? Somebody is going to have to step up and take a chance in order to find that out. It's the only way anyone will be sure at this point. Rumor has it that the team willing to take that chance is Carolina.

I'm saying if he had been at Auburn instead of Jr. College, he still would have been looked at as a ONE year wonder because he would have done nothing all that great the previous two years.

I think he would be viewed like Bowers is a one year wonder.