PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte Observer: All Signs Point To Newton

DraftBoy
03-16-2011, 10:57 AM
The Carolina Panthers will select Cam Newton with the first pick in the NFL draft, or are working hard to convince the football world they plan to.

If a team craves Newton and offers the appropriate picks, the Panthers could trade down - but not too far down - and take Patrick Peterson, the fine cornerback from Louisiana State, or A.J. Green, the tremendous Georgia receiver.

Without a collective bargaining agreement, however, draft day trades become more difficult since only picks, and not players, can be exchanged.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/03/15/2143820/all-signs-point-to-newton-as-panthers.html##ixzz1GmL4FGIX

nolimit
03-16-2011, 11:23 AM
how can they be so sure?

THRILLHO
03-16-2011, 11:29 AM
Schefter has said Gabbert will be the pick today. When was it last year that he called the Bradford selection?

psubills62
03-16-2011, 11:30 AM
how can they be so sure?
1) It's a Charlotte paper, so I assume they've at least talked to people involved with the team, 2) they're reading into the Panthers sending 6 guys to Newton's pro day, then giving him a private workout in Alabama.

I think mainly #2. They've also said previously that they don't "feel the love" from the Panthers for Gabbert.

DraftBoy
03-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Schefter has said Gabbert will be the pick today. When was it last year that he called the Bradford selection?

He called it after saying it was a few other guys first. He goes based on what he has most recently heard. The only thing that matters from him draft wise is what he tweets out on Thursday night about :30 before the pick is announced.

OpIv37
03-16-2011, 11:32 AM
I disagree with this:

Without a collective bargaining agreement, however, draft day trades become more difficult since only picks, and not players, can be exchanged.

Most NFL draft day trades involve only picks. Sure, it takes some bargaining chips off the table, but it's really uncommon.

And I'd love for Newton to be gone at 3. It takes the pressure off of the Bills- we won't have to take the risk of him failing or the risk of 10 years of people saying "This team would be so much better if we had taken Cam Newton in 2011."

Extremebillsfan247
Schefter has said Gabbert will be the pick today. When was it last year that he called the Bradford selection?"Make of it what you want, but Panthers coaches and front office members at Auburn today to work out QB Cam Newton." from Adam Schefter via twitter, 20 min. ago. He doesn't say Newton is the guy, but isn't denying it either, at least not yet. lol We will see how this goes. Word spread pretty fast on this report.

psubills62
Despite what some people seemed to think, Bradford was a general consensus top pick for a while. This draft is much more muddled at the top.

Schefter was great while at the NFL Network. Since moving to ESPN...not so much. I distinctly remember him proclaiming that last year the Eagles definitely were trading up in the first round to take Earl Thomas. Last I checked, Thomas was a Seahawk.

alohabillsfan
03-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Please Carolina, Please take Cam

nolimit
03-16-2011, 11:34 AM
This is posturing for a trade down....they probably got wind of reports the bills loved newton and are baiting us for a trade up....I view gabbert and newton as even although I do desire newton in a bills uni.

psubills62
03-16-2011, 11:34 AM
I disagree with this:

Most NFL draft day trades involve only picks. Sure, it takes some bargaining chips off the table, but it's really uncommon.

And I'd love for Newton to be gone at 3. It takes the pressure off of the Bills- we won't have to take the risk of him failing or the risk of 10 years of people saying "This team would be so much better if we had taken Cam Newton in 2011."
Agree that most trades are picks for picks. Also agree on Newton. I'd love to see Carolina take Newton and Denver take Peterson or Fairley.

Extremebillsfan247
03-16-2011, 11:39 AM
Despite what some people seemed to think, Bradford was a general consensus top pick for a while. This draft is much more muddled at the top.

Schefter was great while at the NFL Network. Since moving to ESPN...not so much. I distinctly remember him proclaiming that last year the Eagles definitely were trading up in the first round to take Earl Thomas. Last I checked, Thomas was a Seahawk.I think he had access to better sources at NFL Network than he does at ESPN. It showed almost immediately when he switched networks. JMO

Extremebillsfan247
03-16-2011, 11:41 AM
If I were the Bills I would play into this a little. It might on the slight chance land them a shot at Dareus. Just a thought.

Mr. Miyagi
03-16-2011, 11:44 AM
This is posturing for a trade down....they probably got wind of reports the bills loved newton and are baiting us for a trade up....I view gabbert and newton as even although I do desire newton in a bills uni.
Funny because the Bills' love for Newton is also a smokescreen. LOL

HAMMER
03-16-2011, 01:29 PM

It is? How do you know?

Dr. Lecter
03-16-2011, 01:33 PM
I disagree with this:

In general I agree, but if you look at the trades for the top pick overall, usually a player or two is moved.

I do agree, 100%, that Newton being gone is great for the Bills, but also have faith that they can screw it up regardless.

better days
03-16-2011, 01:33 PM

God, I hope so.

psubills62
03-16-2011, 01:35 PM
I wonder how trades into and out of the top five will change with the expected rookie pay scale in the next CBA.

Although...if the courts rule that the teams have to play under the 2010 regulations, we could still see some very high salaries in the top 10. I'll bet teams will be very cautious about that.

whkfc
03-16-2011, 01:41 PM
The Bills def do like Newton but they have some concerns. So I hear.

patmoran2006
03-16-2011, 01:49 PM

No, it's not.

better days
03-16-2011, 01:56 PM
No, it's not.

Lets just hope the Bills faked out teams interested in Newton like they faked out pat .

Ed
03-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Personally, I'm torn on Newton. I could see him being awesome or a disaster. So in a way I kind of hope the Panthers do take him #1 just to eliminate him from the equation and all the what if's and concerns. But Denver could still take Dareus, which would be really disappointing. I hope Denver loves Fairley.

justasportsfan
03-16-2011, 02:55 PM
Personally, I'm torn on Newton. I could see him being awesome or a disaster. So in a way I kind of hope the Panthers do take him #1 just to eliminate him from the equation and all the what if's and concerns. But Denver could still take Dareus, which would be really disappointing. I hope Denver loves Fairley.

Same here. I think he's boom or bust.

baalworship
03-16-2011, 03:55 PM
Their leverage is weak, IMO, because of Gabbert. Newton is only the top QB on about half the team boards so why would a team give away the store for him?

Sorry Carolina, you are picking where you are.

tampabay25690
03-16-2011, 08:22 PM
It is? How do you know?

I think Buffalo really likes CAM.......
Didnt realize that Buddy had such great ties to Auburn.....

ublinkwescore
03-16-2011, 08:28 PM
that gives me wood I don't want Newton.

TigerJ
03-16-2011, 10:13 PM
Since Carolina has the first pick, they really don't have any reason to play games unless they want to trade the pick. Assuming that's not the case, I wouldn't be surprised if Carolina actually starts some negotiations with the agent of the player they want to select, and if they do, the news is bound to find its way to ESPN.

PTI
03-16-2011, 10:18 PM
New coach who is a defensive coach, and they had great success taking a DL pass rusher #1 overall before..........they will not take Cam or Gabbert.

psubills62
03-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Since Carolina has the first pick, they really don't have any reason to play games unless they want to trade the pick. Assuming that's not the case, I wouldn't be surprised if Carolina actually starts some negotiations with the agent of the player they want to select, and if they do, the news is bound to find its way to ESPN.
Tiger, there won't be any negotiating this year, unless things fall a certain way with the CBA. Until a CBA is in place (or the judge rules that the NFL can't lock players out and must play the 2011 season under 2010 regulations), rookies can't sign contracts. I can almost guarantee there won't be any negotiating before the draft like there has been the last couple of years.

psubills62
03-17-2011, 09:40 AM
The Charlotte Observer's Darin Gantt believes Marcell Dareus, Cam Newton, and Patrick Peterson are the three most likely candidates to be the Panthers' pick at No. 1 overall.

If the Panthers go quarterback, Gantt believes it's going to be Newton. (Just wait till all that changes with Blaine Gabbert's Pro Day coming Thursday.) If Carolina avoids the dicey QBs, the pick will come down to Dareus versus Peterson. Peterson projects as an excellent NFL player, but Dareus would fill a bigger need at a position more likely to be drafted so high. No cornerback has ever been selected No. 1 overall. Or No. 2, for that matter.

Bangarang
03-17-2011, 09:44 AM
I'd be thrilled if Newton was taken #1. Absolutely thrilled.

better days
03-17-2011, 02:51 PM

In any other year you would be right, but with the lack of a CBA no team is going to negotiate a contract with its draft picks.

Commissioner
03-17-2011, 03:13 PM
I'm gonna laugh my ass off if Carolina takes Newton #1....

It's gonna be hilarious watching the icon go down in flames....

Hopefully I'll never have to hear ESPN hype up an athlete as a QB ever again.

psubills62
03-17-2011, 04:53 PM
I'm gonna laugh my ass off if Carolina takes Newton #1....

It's gonna be hilarious watching the icon go down in flames....

Hopefully I'll never have to hear ESPN hype up an athlete as a QB ever again.
This is ESPN you're talking about...they're never going to miss a chance to hype one of their chosen ones.

PromoTheRobot
03-17-2011, 10:40 PM
No, it's not.

Okay Pat, like YOU know!

PTR

feldspar
03-18-2011, 06:44 PM
Let's get one thing straight: there is no way any team in their right mind is going to want to actually trade up to the #1 overall pick in this year's draft.