PDA

View Full Version : Pegula

Beebe's Kid
03-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Link (http://victorybellrings.com/2011/03/15/quick-hit-terry-pegula-interested-in-buffalo-bills/)

While a timetable cannot be released at this time, a source close to the Pegula camp has stated that Terry Pegula, Buffalo Sabers owner and Penn State hockey financial backer has started the ball rolling in the purchasing of the Buffalo Bills.

Ed
03-16-2011, 02:07 PM
Would he keep them in Buffalo?

FlyingDutchman
03-16-2011, 02:11 PM
PLEASE GOD

FlyingDutchman
03-16-2011, 02:11 PM

I think so. Hed go from hero to enemy #1 of Buffalo

psubills62
03-16-2011, 02:12 PM
Pegula is friggin awesome. As both a PSU and Buffalo fan...I can't hear enough about what this guy is doing.

psubills62
03-16-2011, 02:13 PM
There's been very limited news about him possibly purchasing the Bills, but within those blurbs, every indication says yes.

Ed
03-16-2011, 02:14 PM
I've just been reading some articles on him that I googled and he sounds like he would be a perfect owner.

Sell the team Ralph! Long live Terrence!

FlyingDutchman
03-16-2011, 02:16 PM
where has this dude been all my miserable Buffalo fan life...I feel like he was sent from heaven haha

OpIv37
03-16-2011, 02:36 PM
If he wants to keep the Sabres, he'd never be able to buy the Bills and move them because it would be too dangerous for him to come back into town. So if he does buy the Bills, it's a safe assumption that they are not going anywhere.

trapezeus
03-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Woo, tough markets these days. When Pegula was purchasing the sabres a few weeks ago he was worth 4 billion, the linked article refers to him being in the $3BN range. That's painful.

Extremebillsfan247
03-16-2011, 02:44 PM
Link (http://victorybellrings.com/2011/03/15/quick-hit-terry-pegula-interested-in-buffalo-bills/)would that be legal owning 2 major sports franchises in the same area?

SabreEleven
03-16-2011, 02:48 PM
There would be no chance in HELL that he would move the Bills. He lived in this area for years and his wife is from outside Buffalo. For you guys who aren't familiar with the Buffalo Sabres, you WANT this to happen. The guy is gold. Buffalo GOLD.

Night Train
03-16-2011, 02:48 PM
The Bills would cost 5x's what the Sabres did and he'd need help, I'm guessing.

It's one thing to have a rumored interest and another to actually seek a purchase. Lots of information gathering in between, like learning the long term plans and economics of the NFL, before arriving at a final decision.

Yes, he is a fan. He's also a prudent & intelligent businessman.

trapezeus
03-16-2011, 02:49 PM
would that be legal owning 2 major sports franchises in the same area?

yep as long as they are in the same town the NFL doesn't care. if you don't have them in the same town then you can't. unless you own another team in a different country, then it doesn't matter. Sounds like random rules, but in anycase, pegula would be fine.

Can you imagine if pegula got the sabres and the bills to win their respective championships in the same year? This guy would literally be my jesus.

justasportsfan
03-16-2011, 02:50 PM

According to OP, No!

FlyingDutchman
03-16-2011, 02:51 PM
Jim Kelly must be doing back flips bc his golden goose has arrived. If Pegula were to buy the Bills also he basically would be living my dream life....a rich fan who cares about Buffalo

justasportsfan
03-16-2011, 02:52 PM
When Pegula was purchasing the sabres a few weeks ago he was worth 4 billion, the linked article refers to him being in the $3BN range. That's painful.

thats what happens when the wife gets hold of the credit card.

OpIv37
03-16-2011, 02:54 PM

It's one thing to have a rumored interest and another to actually seek a purchase. Lots of information gathering in between, like learning the long term plans and economics of the NFL, before arriving at a final decision.

He sold his company to Royal Dutch Shell for $4.7 billion, and he was already wealthy before that transaction. Depending on how much of that went into his pocket and how he invested it, there's a very good chance he has the resources to just buy the team outright.

Extremebillsfan247
03-16-2011, 02:57 PM
yep as long as they are in the same town the NFL doesn't care. if you don't have them in the same town then you can't. unless you own another team in a different country, then it doesn't matter. Sounds like random rules, but in anycase, pegula would be fine.

Can you imagine if pegula got the sabres and the bills to win their respective championships in the same year? This guy would literally be my jesus.If he bought both franchises, he would essentially own the keys to the local economic kingdom. That could be a scary thing depending on how you look at it. A guy with that much power is one you wouldn't want to get angry if you know what I mean. lol Bills and Sabres fans can be pretty passionate about their teams. Some take it to the extreme though, especially when those teams lose. JMO

trapezeus
03-16-2011, 02:58 PM
I guess its good that pegula is interested and doing his research now. i'm guessing buying into the nfl model right now is about 10,000 times more complicated based solely on the labor strike.

but if you think about it hockey isn't exactly doing well right now either and he got that deal done in about 4 months from when the public heard about it.

Jan Reimers
03-16-2011, 02:59 PM
Woo, tough markets these days. When Pegula was purchasing the sabres a few weeks ago he was worth 4 billion, the linked article refers to him being in the $3BN range. That's painful.
Everything I've seen on him has said he netted about $3 Billion when he sold his energy company to Shell. And he would still be worth that, as the Sabres are an asset that he added to his portfolio.

THATHURMANATOR
03-16-2011, 02:59 PM
No it was rumored wrong the first time. His business was worth 4.7 Billion but he owned 65% of it, which equated to 3 Billion.

Jan Reimers
03-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Pegula could well afford to buy the Bills. With an estimated net worth of $3 Billion, he would be one of the wealthiest owners in all of professional sports.

Extremebillsfan247
03-16-2011, 03:05 PM
Pegula could well afford to buy the Bills. With an estimated net worth of $3 Billion, he would be one of the wealthiest owners in all of professional sports.What is the Bills current net worth estimated at? does anyone know?

THRILLHO
03-16-2011, 03:06 PM
So is it every Sabres owner is rumored to want to buy the Bills?

Ed
03-16-2011, 03:07 PM
Pegula has some serious cash. I'm not sure if there's another potential owner out there that could outbid him. Hopefully Ralph sells to him, or has some kind of plan in place to sell to Pegula though, before that would happen.

trapezeus
03-16-2011, 03:07 PM
thanks for the clarification people. i didn't know that.

in the end, it doesn't matter. ralph will still hold on to this team until he's no longer on the earth.

I hope Pegula's PSU connection doesn't keep maybin on the team a day longer than necessary :-)

Ed
03-16-2011, 03:08 PM
What is the Bills current net worth estimated at? does anyone know?
I think $800-850 million.

Jan Reimers
03-16-2011, 03:10 PM
What is the Bills current net worth estimated at? does anyone know?
The last thing I saw was that the franchise was worth $700-800 Million.

wmoz11
03-16-2011, 03:10 PM
I think $800-850 million.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/30/football-valuations-10_Buffalo-Bills_301765.html

Yep, $799 million.

Jan Reimers
03-16-2011, 03:12 PM
Pegula is one of the few guys out there that could buy the franchise outright with his own cash, but I don't know if these kind of deals are ever done that way.

trapezeus
03-16-2011, 03:13 PM
i'm guessing all teams values have to be lower through the lockout.

Also, i wonder how pegula's "any suggestions" team would take to us being like, "Give us our 8th game back and cut the cord on Toronto!"

Mr. Miyagi
03-16-2011, 03:15 PM
That's sort of my question too. I thought the NFL has a rule against owners having another pro sports team in the US.

Ed
03-16-2011, 03:15 PM
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/30/football-valuations-10_Buffalo-Bills_301765.html

Yep, $799 million.
Wow, the team was worth $909 million in 2009. That's quite a drop in 1 year.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2009/30/football-values-09_Buffalo-Bills_301765.html

Ed
03-16-2011, 03:18 PM
That's sort of my question too. I thought the NFL has a rule against owners having another pro sports team in the US.
I believe it's only a conflict of interest if they are in different markets.

BertSquirtgum
03-16-2011, 03:19 PM
maybe Pegula has been Kelly's backer the entire time? :question:

i mean, they were both orignally from Pennsylvania.

THATHURMANATOR
03-16-2011, 03:21 PM
How many times have we gone over this. They are allowed to own multiple franchises in the same city...

SabreEleven
03-16-2011, 03:23 PM
So is it every Sabres owner is rumored to want to buy the Bills?

You must be referring to Tom Galisano...In his last press conference as the out going Sabres owner, they asked if he was interested in buying the Buffalo Bills, he basically said not really but he would become REALLY interested if the Bills were going to moved. His interested be in corrulation to the chance that they would be moved. He's from Rochester, BTW.

SabreEleven
03-16-2011, 03:23 PM
"From this day forward, the Buffalo Bills' reason for existence will be to win the Lombardi Trophy" - Terry Pegula 3/17/12

Mr. Miyagi
03-16-2011, 03:41 PM
How many times have we gone over this. They are allowed to own multiple franchises in the same city...
I must have missed all the other times we've gone over this. Chill dude.

THATHURMANATOR
03-16-2011, 03:45 PM
I must have missed all the other times we've gone over this. Chill dude.
This topic gets me fired up.. Sorry.... :(

By the way where is this coming from? What is the source?

X-Era
03-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Thurm do you have a link to the thread? I was pretty sure that the NFL had such a rule as Miyagi states. I just want to take a look.

X-Era
03-16-2011, 04:02 PM
Found it:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14875903?utm_medium=twitter&source=rss&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=twitter

The rule was changed in 1997:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1997-03-12/sports/1997071110_1_instant-replay-allen-parcells

Thurm's right... Game On!

My only concern with Pegula is whether he is truly committed to keeping the team in Buffalo. I didn't follow the Sabres situation closely but as I remember, he was staunch about his love for Buffalo and keeping the Sabres there.

Anyone have any insight?

THATHURMANATOR
03-16-2011, 04:08 PM
Thurm do you have a link to the thread? I was pretty sure that the NFL had such a rule as Miyagi states. I just want to take a look.
No I don't but the rule is you aren't allowed to own teams of other sports in other cities but are allowed in the same city.

There have probably been 50 threads on this topic in the last 4 years.

THATHURMANATOR
03-16-2011, 04:10 PM
Found it:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14875903?utm_medium=twitter&source=rss&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=twitter

Thurm's right... Game On!

My only concern with Pegula is whether he is truly committed to keeping the team in Buffalo. I didn't follow the Sabres situation closely but as I remember, he was staunch about his love for Buffalo and keeping the Sabres there.

Anyone have any insight?
Dude the guy is all about Buffalo. Why would he buy the Sabres out of pure love, guarantee they will never move, then buy the Bills and move the Bills, enraging the Buffalo fan base to the point of running him out of town.

If he buys the Bills they will stay no doubt.

X-Era
03-16-2011, 04:13 PM
No I don't but the rule is you aren't allowed to own teams of other sports in other cities but are allowed in the same city.

There have probably been 50 threads on this topic in the last 4 years.Well, that's 50 that I didn't read. :D: You're probably reading my post that I found the links.

If he will keep the Bills in Buffalo, I'm all for it. I will be interested to see how he approaches the Sabres off-season, will he actually spend money on bigger names? It could tell us a lot about him as an owner.

THATHURMANATOR
03-16-2011, 04:18 PM
Well, that's 50 that I didn't read. :D: You're probably reading my post that I found the links.

If he will keep the Bills in Buffalo, I'm all for it. I will be interested to see how he approaches the Sabres off-season, will he actually spend money on bigger names? It could tell us a lot about him as an owner.
Yes I did. You must learn to trust the THURM. He doesn't steer you wrong.

hydro
03-16-2011, 05:58 PM
All these posts and no one has questioned this source yet? Victorybellrings.com? Never heard of this site before.

He even spelled Sabres wrong... :shakeno:

Michael82
03-16-2011, 08:28 PM
Holy ****! That would be ****ing awesome. Pegula is the man and the owner that Bills fans have been dreaming for. :pray:

Michael82
03-16-2011, 08:35 PM
Oh and if he buys the Bills and treats them the way he's doing with the Sabres so far and bring respectability back to Buffalo.....he'll have a golden statue downtown!

Goobylal
03-16-2011, 09:18 PM
You can own an NFL team and another pro sports franchise in the same city or another city that doesn't have an NFL team. For example, Ralph could also own the Sabres and/or the Columbus Blue Jackets.

And Pegula is ALL about Buffalo sports. He was sold the team because he agreed to keep it in Buffalo. And to Golisano's credit, he eschewed another offer that was higher by $70M from an ownership group that wanted to move the team.

BertSquirtgum
03-16-2011, 10:18 PM
Oh and if he buys the Bills and treats them the way he's doing with the Sabres so far and bring respectability back to Buffalo.....he'll have a golden statue downtown!

byron would definitely give him a key to the city.

Demon
03-16-2011, 11:11 PM
where has this dude been all my miserable Buffalo fan life...I feel like he was sent from heaven haha

Working hard on making mad money so he can turn our miserable teams around.... lol

Bosco
03-16-2011, 11:50 PM
This is so total BS.

You people are believing what some blogger wrote as gospel ? Yes.... some good source there.

Where as it been stated that the Bills are even for sale ?

Not to mention Pegula said he wasn't interested in buying the Bills when asked by Scott Brown at the 2/22/2011 press conference.

mightysimi
03-17-2011, 12:06 AM
Pegula could well afford to buy the Bills. With an estimated net worth of $3 Billion, he would be one of the wealthiest owners in all of professional sports.

The team in place to bring a team to Winnipeg has a guy with a net worth of 19B.

mightysimi
03-17-2011, 12:08 AM
You can own an NFL team and another pro sports franchise in the same city or another city that doesn't have an NFL team. For example, Ralph could also own the Sabres and/or the Columbus Blue Jackets.

And Pegula is ALL about Buffalo sports. He was sold the team because he agreed to keep it in Buffalo. And to Golisano's credit, he eschewed another offer that was higher by $70M from an ownership group that wanted to move the team.

There are ways around it too. I think the guy who bought the Rams had the issue with him owning the Avalanche and the Nuggets. I think he transferred the teams into his wife's name or something along those lines.

Mr. Miyagi
03-17-2011, 01:23 AM
And Mikey would have a shrine for him in his room!

bosshogg21
03-17-2011, 02:22 AM
First off he would never move the team. There are articles stating he and friends tailgate and go to bills games now. Secondly, he has more money than Jerry jones and Daniel Snyder. He has plenty to buy the bills and fund a new stadium all out of pocket if he so desires. He is the 120th wealthiest person in the country.

Dujek
03-17-2011, 03:25 AM
This is so total BS.

You people are believing what some blogger wrote as gospel ? Yes.... some good source there.

Where as it been stated that the Bills are even for sale ?

Not to mention Pegula said he wasn't interested in buying the Bills when asked by Scott Brown at the 2/22/2011 press conference.

That's not exactly what he said, he said he currently wasn't interested as the team was not for sale, but if the opportunity arose to buy the team he would consider it.

better days
03-17-2011, 04:37 AM
Well, that's 50 that I didn't read. :D: You're probably reading my post that I found the links.

There is a salary cap so he can only spend so much on players but he said there is no cap on how much I can spend on scouting & facilities. He said he wants to make Buffalo a destination free agents want to come to.

X-Era
03-17-2011, 05:51 AM
There is a salary cap so he can only spend so much on players but he said there is no cap on how much I can spend on scouting & facilities. He said he wants to make Buffalo a destination free agents want to come to.Just because theres a cap doesn't mean we have to spend up to it... Welcome to the cash to crap philosophy.

Extremebillsfan247
03-17-2011, 06:22 AM
After some considerable thought on this, I'm not sure having Pegula as an Owner of the Bills is such a good thing. The reason for that is that he already owns the Sabres which means he is going to have a pretty tough time deciding which team to put his full attention into. If he divides his attention, you may have 2 teams that will spend years in a state of mediocrity. If he neglects one team for another, One might be really, really good, and the other may not be. I'm sure Pegula is a good guy, but I'd rather have an Owner who could devout full attention and backing behind the Bills, not the Bills and Sabres. JMO

Michael82
03-17-2011, 07:07 AM
After some considerable thought on this, I'm not sure having Pegula as an Owner of the Bills is such a good thing. The reason for that is that he already owns the Sabres which means he is going to have a pretty tough time deciding which team to put his full attention into. If he divides his attention, you may have 2 teams that will spend years in a state of mediocrity. If he neglects one team for another, One might be really, really good, and the other may not be. I'm sure Pegula is a good guy, but I'd rather have an Owner who could devout full attention and backing behind the Bills, not the Bills and Sabres. JMO
Something tells me that he would have Jim Kelly as his Larry Quinn. Kelly would put his undivided attention towards the Bills.

SabreEleven
03-17-2011, 07:17 AM

He is the owner, not the guy who is making the day-to-day decision. He find a the right guy for that job and he won't care on the price. He'll do great as both owners.

THATHURMANATOR
03-17-2011, 08:10 AM
It would be the best thing possible. He doesn't need to meddle in the decision making process. He can put the football people in charge and just sign off on the money decisions.

trapezeus
03-17-2011, 08:33 AM
the thing is that a sale would have to go through the NFL owners. and if those douchebags are dead set against buffalo having a team, it'll be out of pegula's hands on whether the team stays or goes.

psubills62
03-17-2011, 08:35 AM
the thing is that a sale would have to go through the NFL owners. and if those douchebags are dead set against buffalo having a team, it'll be out of pegula's hands on whether the team stays or goes.
You really think they'd be "dead set" against Buffalo having a team? I mean, I can see them trying to short the small market teams, but I don't know if they'd be that vindictive.

psubills62
03-17-2011, 08:36 AM
This is why you hire people to do the work for you, last I checked.

THATHURMANATOR
03-17-2011, 09:17 AM
This link and site are all BS though right guys? This site isn't credible is it?

hydro
03-17-2011, 09:30 AM
That's not exactly what he said, he said he currently wasn't interested as the team was not for sale, but if the opportunity arose to buy the team he would consider it.

Pretty sure you are thinking of Golisano.

Stewie
03-17-2011, 11:02 AM
he bought a $20,000 carpet for the sabres locker room cause they needed it.

it goes way beyond the salary cap

OpIv37
03-17-2011, 11:13 AM

the other owners aren't necessarily dead-set against a team in Buffalo. They're dead-set against revenue sharing, which makes small market teams like Buffalo less viable.

However, if someone like Pegula were to come in, turn the team into a winner, and make money, then the objections of the other owners would go away. Whether or not they have confidence in Pegula to do this is a different story- it probably depends on what he does with the Sabres.

trapezeus
03-17-2011, 11:16 AM
i do think that there is a possibility (it may be remote), but the fact the new school owners are in debt buying these teams and loath giving away their suite profits to teams who cant' keep pace (this is in their mind), you could see them getting other owners on board.

But the thing is is that there aren't 32 cities that can provide equal revenues. And moving teams to the middle set of owners is really expensive and rarely worth the costs. So it's just a matter of how much sway the jerks (Jones, synders) have over the logical and more level headed owners.

In my heart, i think if one guy is willing to step in and pay top dollar for a low team, the rich owners will take solace that their valuations are higher and ok the deal.

Pegula would also be entering at the toughest time. In a lock out, with a lease expiring, with a crappy team, with one of the oldest stadiums in the league now.

Beebe's Kid
03-17-2011, 01:28 PM
i do think that there is a possibility (it may be remote), but the fact the new school owners are in debt buying these teams and loath giving away their suite profits to teams who cant' keep pace (this is in their mind), you could see them getting other owners on board.

But the thing is is that there aren't 32 cities that can provide equal revenues. And moving teams to the middle set of owners is really expensive and rarely worth the costs. So it's just a matter of how much sway the jerks (Jones, synders) have over the logical and more level headed owners.

In my heart, i think if one guy is willing to step in and pay top dollar for a low team, the rich owners will take solace that their valuations are higher and ok the deal.

Pegula would also be entering at the toughest time. In a lock out, with a lease expiring, with a crappy team, with one of the oldest stadiums in the league now.

No big deal, bro...he'll just go fracking, and then with the bloated profits from destroying the earth, all in name of gas, he'll be able to do whatever he wants to do.

ChristopherWalken
03-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Perhaps the way the CBA is headed, Wilson has had enough and is finally coming to his last bit of senses? Wilson has always been vocal about the game versus the money. Though a successful enterpeneur, he has possibly had his fill with the bureaucratic BS. Pegula offers him a substantial amount of money. The Bills stay in Buffalo. Ralph maintains some dignity by not selling to outside investors and secures his legacy within the league. His family avoids any serious penalties in the event of an untimely death.

This is a win-win-win. Hopefully Ol' Ralph sees the light-or someone at least sees it for him-and gives his hoveround a sure handed push in the right direction.

trapezeus
03-17-2011, 01:49 PM
Perhaps the way the CBA is headed, Wilson has had enough and is finally coming to his last bit of senses? Wilson has always been vocal about the game versus the money. Though a successful enterpeneur, he has possibly had his fill with the beurucratic BS. Pegula offers him a substantial amount of money. The Bills stay in Buffalo. Ralph maintains some dignity by not selling to outside investors and secures his legacy within the league. His family avoids any serious penalties in the even of an untimely death.

This is a win-win-win. Hopefully Ol' Ralph sees the light-or someone at least sees it for him-and gives his hoveround a sure handed push in the right direction.

but god knows the only think the ultra rich care about is the tax bill. Does ralph's team advise him that the family will earn substantially more in a post death sale with lower estate taxes vs. a sale now with capital gains taxes?

Also, there could be someone saying that all the league strife is a temporary thing and a sale now would be taking at a lower amount.

I like your reasoning, but i think the things above are the reason logic gets beaten out of the conversation.

Stewie
03-17-2011, 02:31 PM

Be greedy when others are fearful.

better days
03-17-2011, 02:33 PM
Just because theres a cap doesn't mean we have to spend up to it... Welcome to the cash to crap philosophy.

Do a little research on Pegula. When he bought the Sabres he said "from this day forward the goal of the Sabres is to win the Stanley Cup." He also said about the Sabres "if I wanted to make money, I would drill another well."

You can bet from this day forward that the cap will be much more a consideration than the cost of a players contract for the Sabres. The thing is with a cap, teams can only spend so much on players so they have to be the right players they give the money to & Pegula said he would spend big on scouting.

TrEd FTW
03-17-2011, 02:37 PM
Something tells me that he would have Jim Kelly as his Larry Quinn. Kelly would put his undivided attention towards the Bills.

He'd need someone a hell of a lot smarter than Jim Kelly for that job - a Ted Black type.

Goobylal
03-17-2011, 03:16 PM
No big deal, bro...he'll just go fracking, and then with the bloated profits from destroying the earth, all in name of gas, he'll be able to do whatever he wants to do.
Does fracking destroy the earth? And if it does, is it any worse than what happened in Chernobyl and what's happening in Japan with nuclear energy?

bosshogg21
03-18-2011, 03:19 AM

It's clear you know nothing about fracking and what potential the natural gas carries or how little damage it does to the earth. I'm gonna assume you're a renter that has no chance at signing a lease deal. Jealousy will get you nowhere.

THATHURMANATOR
03-18-2011, 08:47 AM
GUYS HOW CREDIBLE IS THIS REPORT?????????

Stewie
03-18-2011, 08:54 AM
GUYS HOW CREDIBLE IS THIS REPORT?????????

it's refreshing to see that sometimes marriage does not change a man.

better days
03-18-2011, 08:59 AM
it's refreshing to see that sometimes marriage does not change a man.

Give him time.

trapezeus
03-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Be greedy when others are fearful.

i think that quote applies to irrational fear. Pegula will have to do his due diligence. If the NFL model is broken, buying on the slide will still result in huge losses.

That's the gamble i suppose. I think if the squabble is sorted out before training camp, fans will not be upset and everything will move on as the best pro sport in the world (or at least the US).

If games are missed, the debate on millionaires vs billionaires isn't going to be a fan discussion. It will be, "how could both groups do this to us?" and college football and the UFL will be ramping up marketing to get all of us. The UFL will sign mid level NFL players who need the money. They may role out expansion. They may show the NFL fan that they can provide the same game day experience for a fraction of the cost. And if they roll this out all before the NFL and the players get their **** together, when they come back to play, there might not be huge profits. maybe even TV contracts start shifting to long term college and UFL for a fraction of the NFL cost and with the same number of viewers. This is a super volatile time and the time to come to a solution is before games are lost.

Stewie
03-18-2011, 01:50 PM
i think that quote applies to irrational fear. Pegula will have to do his due diligence. If the NFL model is broken, buying on the slide will still result in huge losses.

That's the gamble i suppose. I think if the squabble is sorted out before training camp, fans will not be upset and everything will move on as the best pro sport in the world (or at least the US).

If games are missed, the debate on millionaires vs billionaires isn't going to be a fan discussion. It will be, "how could both groups do this to us?" and college football and the UFL will be ramping up marketing to get all of us. The UFL will sign mid level NFL players who need the money. They may role out expansion. They may show the NFL fan that they can provide the same game day experience for a fraction of the cost. And if they roll this out all before the NFL and the players get their **** together, when they come back to play, there might not be huge profits. maybe even TV contracts start shifting to long term college and UFL for a fraction of the NFL cost and with the same number of viewers. This is a super volatile time and the time to come to a solution is before games are lost.
At some point the numbers have to work and due diligence performed, true. IMO, if he's really committed to winning at all costs, that's less important.

I think the greedy while others are fearful applies here. He can use everyone's fear to get the club at a price where he can be "greedy" and make the numbers work, knowing that things are cyclical and the NFL has a great political situation.

I hope the NFL isn't worried about the UFL. At best, the UFL will become a developmental league for NFL players to get more snaps and experience.

Mski
03-19-2011, 03:24 PM

he wouldnt need help, he's worth MORE than Oprah, Trump, and Jerry Jones. if he were to buy the bills he wouldnt be able to move them and keep the sabres (conflict of interest). but it seems he has been doing all the right things with that sabres that we havent seen since the knox family

Mski
03-19-2011, 03:32 PM
According to the Forbes top 400 americans he is the wealthiest pro sports owner in the US already

Goobylal
03-19-2011, 10:56 PM
According to the Forbes top 400 americans he is the wealthiest pro sports owner in the US already
Paul Allen is richer. There's also someone else whose name I'm forgetting.

Mad Max
03-20-2011, 06:17 AM
you're forgetting more than one,

Prokorhov-NJ Nets ~13bil
Arison-Miami cHeat ~6bil
Anschultz-LA Kings ~6bil

edit: just the last 2 count, as Drago is a russkie

Goobylal
03-20-2011, 09:25 AM
you're forgetting more than one,

Prokorhov-NJ Nets ~13bil
Arison-Miami cHeat ~6bil
Anschultz-LA Kings ~6bil

edit: just the last 2 count, as Drago is a russkie
I was actually just talking about NFL owners, not all sports owners. Pegula would be behind the afore-mentioned Allen (worth something like $13B), as well as Stephen Ross (Dols), but not by much ($100M, according to Forbes' latest list).

better days
03-20-2011, 09:37 AM
I was actually just talking about NFL owners, not all sports owners. Pegula would be behind the afore-mentioned Allen (worth something like $13B), as well as Stephen Ross (Dols), but not by much ($100M, according to Forbes' latest list).

Suffice to say Pegula could easily afford to buy the Bills & would not look at them as a money making venture but as a hobby.

His buying the Bills would be the best thing to happen to Buffalo since Ralph helped start the AFL & put the Bills in Buffalo.

Goobylal
03-20-2011, 10:08 AM
Suffice to say Pegula could easily afford to buy the Bills & would not look at them as a money making venture but as a hobby.

His buying the Bills would be the best thing to happen to Buffalo since Ralph helped start the AFL & put the Bills in Buffalo.
I agree on both accounts. The Sabres are set to stay in Buffalo for the next 50 years or so, as Pegula's kids will most likely inherit and keep the team where it is.