Will the Bills Finally Break their Al Davis Syndrome?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cookie G
    • Mar 2003

Will the Bills Finally Break their Al Davis Syndrome?

If you put their picks for the last decade of so side by side, the Bills and Raiders' drafts are strikingly similar.

Obviously, both have spent most of the last decade in the top half of the first, with a number of times in the Top 10.

The Raiders have taken 5 DB's with their first pick:

Gibson
    Buchanon
    Asomugha
    Washington
    Huff

We've taken 4, if you count Winfield, 5 if we're going with Peterson.

Both have used their top pick once on a D 7 player. Someone tied up Al Davis and they took McLain last year. The Bills took a DE with the build of a SS.

Like us, their 2nd and 3rd rounds are littered with D 7 players, (8 by my count since 2001. We've taken 11). Both seem to have the "we can find one later in the draft" attitude.

Both busted on a top 5 LT long ago, neither has taken one since. The Raiders haven't used a 1st round pick on an OL since, the Bills once.

Both busted on a QB. Theirs was colossal, ours cost us multiple picks.

Both picked a Rb who was too good to pass up when they had a decent running game. We've done it twice.

Like us, they've gotten some good DB's in the 1st.

Like us, their defense has been pretty weak for the last decade, especially the run defense:

Bills

2001 26th
    2002 29th
    2003 8th
    2004 7th
    2005 31st
    2006 28th
    2007 25th
    2008 22nd
    2009 30th
    2010 32nd

Raiders

2001 22
    2002 3
    2003 32
    2004 22
    2005 25
    2006 25
    2007 31
    2008 31
    2009 29
    2010 29

Like us, they haven't come close to the playoffs in years.

By contrast, the Steelers have used their top pick once on a DB.

So have the Ravens;
    So have the Packers;
    So have the Colts;
    So have the Eagles;
    The Pats didn't use a top pick on a DB until 2007, they haven't won a SB since. Their defense was built with Seymour, Warren and Wilfork.

The Steelers used their top pick on D 7 or OL 5 times
    The Ravens 6 times
    The Packers 6 times
    The Eagles 6 times (7 times if you go back to 2000)

The Bills twice.

If we're building a defense, or a team, who should we emulate?

The Raiders? Or the Steelers, Ravens, Packers and early decade Patriots?
  • NOT THE DUDE...
    Formerly MARCELL DAREUS POWER, now posting as DANNY BATTEN POWER
    • Jan 2010

Re: Will the Bills Finally Break their Al Davis Syndrome?

when a db is the next deion or woodson, it doesnt matter dude... i could see if it was just amukamura

Comment

• Prov401
      President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
      • Aug 2008

And that one time the Steelers used their 1st round pick on a DB, he turned out to be the biggest game changing DB in football. He also is a big reason why the Steelers got to, and won a few Super bowls.

Peterson is regarded as being a can't miss play maker. I agree that the Bills biggest weakness is certainly up front on D. But if Dareus isn't there at 3, no DL is worth taking, including Fairley because he simply doesn't fit our system. Peterson should be the pick if that's the case. And if both Dareus and Peterson happen to be gone by the Bills pick, they should trade down and get either Jordan or Quinn.

Comment

• k-oneputt
        • Jun 2009

May I add that both teams THINK they are/were smarter then everyone else on draft day too, thus the overdrafting of players, bust after bust, and of course the losing.

Comment

• cookie G
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Prov401
          And that one time the Steelers used their 1st round pick on a DB, he turned out to be the biggest game changing DB in football. He also is a big reason why the Steelers got to, and won a few Super bowls.

Peterson is regarded as being a can't miss play maker. I agree that the Bills biggest weakness is certainly up front on D. But if Dareus isn't there at 3, no DL is worth taking, including Fairley because he simply doesn't fit our system. Peterson should be the pick if that's the case. And if both Dareus and Peterson happen to be gone by the Bills pick, they should trade down and get either Jordan or Quinn.
          Well, if you're looking for a Troy Pomalalu, you're probably going to be disappointed.

He doesn't play like that. He's not a guided missile type of player and his one career forced fumble and 7 career ints attests to that.

He's most likely going to be a very good cover corner, but don't expect a Troy P or a Ronnie Lott.

Comment

• cookie G
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by k-oneputt
            May I add that both teams THINK they are/were smarter then everyone else on draft day too, thus the overdrafting of players, bust after bust, and of course the losing.
            Well, we do have that.

Comment

• Prov401
              President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by cookie G
              Well, if you're looking for a Troy Pomalalu, you're probably going to be disappointed.

He doesn't play like that. He's not a guided missile type of player and his one career forced fumble and 7 career ints attests to that.

He's most likely going to be a very good cover corner, but don't expect a Troy P or a Ronnie Lott.
              I'm not looking for a Troy Polamalu. I'm looking for a dominant, pro bowl player for many years to come.

In this particular draft, it almost sucks having the 3rd overall pick. To me, there are 2 sure-fire pro-bowl caliber players in Dareus and Peterson. I'm passing on both Newton and Gabbert because I think there is too much risk with both of them. If Dareus is off the board, who do you want at 3? Fairley? Pass. He's a 4-3 DT, were drafting for 3-4. If Dareus is gone, Peterson is head above the rest the best talent in the draft at that point. Do you want us to reach for Miller, or Quinn? I want a player who is going to make an impact right now, and for the next 8 years. Dareus and Peterson are going to be great.

I agree, games are won and lost in the trenches. Absolutely. And my first choice is Dareus, but I doubt he is going to be there. And Peterson is just too good to pass up, and is worth the 3rd pick. If we decide to not draft Peterson, and Dareus is off the board, the Bills should trade down, get more picks, and draft Quinn, Jordan, or Miller. We aren't a player away from going to the playoffs. We are about 7 starters on defense away from competing with teams in our division, let alone winning any titles. Every position can be upgraded.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                • Jul 2003

Originally posted by cookie G

Darrelle Revis had 1 forced fumble and 8 career interceptions in his college career at Pitt (3 seasons). Those aren't good metrics for judging a college CB. Look at the passes defensed and the way he has played against top players. Peterson, by any measure, is a DB worthy of a top 10 pick. His size and ST skills make him that much more valuable.

If you draft a DB high and he turns into one of the best at his position in the NFL, that isn't a bad pick. Especially in the NFL today. With the proliferation of spread offenses and the explosion in the passing game in recent years, you need a good pass rush and good players in the secondary to win games.

Look at the Jets. Despite a mediocre pass rush the last several years, they have been a very good defense. The reason is their secondary is good enough to play a lot of man-to-man coverages, and that gives them extra people up front to defend the run and pressure the QB. If you get a shutdown CB, it can have a dramatic impact on your defense overall.

Peterson, by any measure, is an worthy pick. There isn't another DB in this draft you can really say that about.

Comment

• cookie G
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Ickybaluky
                  Darrelle Revis had 1 forced fumble and 8 career interceptions in his college career at Pitt (3 seasons). Those aren't good metrics for judging a college CB. Look at the passes defensed and the way he has played against top players. Peterson, by any measure, is a DB worthy of a top 10 pick. His size and ST skills make him that much more valuable.

If you draft a DB high and he turns into one of the best at his position in the NFL, that isn't a bad pick. Especially in the NFL today. With the proliferation of spread offenses and the explosion in the passing game in recent years, you need a good pass rush and good players in the secondary to win games.

Look at the Jets. Despite a mediocre pass rush the last several years, they have been a very good defense. The reason is their secondary is good enough to play a lot of man-to-man coverages, and that gives them extra people up front to defend the run and pressure the QB. If you get a shutdown CB, it can have a dramatic impact on your defense overall.

Peterson, by any measure, is an worthy pick. There isn't another DB in this draft you can really say that about.
                  lol, thank you for that Mr. Davis.

Comment

• Night Train
                    Retired - On Several Levels
                    • Jul 2005

So basically, it's build from the lines out...like I've posted 400 times in vain.
                    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• feldspar
                      • Mar 2007

I don't care about Al Davis.

If you look at the past 8 drafts by the Bills, you would see that the Bills picked a running back with their first pick three times. Again, we've picked a RB in the first round THREE times in the past 8 years....McGahee, Lynch, and Spiller. The only one that remains on our team is the one that has proven the least.

That's terrible business, and I don't need to get into the reasons why for those that have a lick of sense about the current game. That reminds me more of the Lions continuing to pick wide receivers high-up more than any poor decisions made by Al Davis' crew.

Bills fans seem to think we've had a CB complex, which may be true, but they tend to overlook what I just talked about. It's pretty outrageous.

We need to beef up our o-line, and, even more importantly, we need to beef our our front 7 on defense. It all starts in the trenches is a reality; I don't care which RB or CB we have, this still remains true. This is all talk of a franchise QB aside.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                        Dances With Buffaloes
                        • Sep 2002

Peterson is not Darrelle Revis. And CB/S is never worth a top 5 pick. i don't care the year or player available. and only rarely are they worth a top 10.
                        My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• stuckincincy
                          Buffalo Bills Fan
                          • Sep 2003

If I were on the field wearing a striped shirt, I'd probably flag Revis 4 or 5 times a game for holding and interference.
                          Last edited by stuckincincy; 03-18-2011, 12:01 PM.
                          Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Blacksheep71
                            Veteran Zoner
                            • Mar 2011

Patrick Peterson is simply the best player in the draft.

He fills a position of need due to McGee's continual knee problems and Florence possible departure unless you consider Corner a starting option.

Aside from Dareus there isn't a 3-4 DE worthy of the No3 unless we want to pull a Scott Pioli and reach for a Tyler Jackson type?

The Steelers have rarely spent a R1 pick on a DE - Ziggy Hood was drafted at No30 I believe and most of their ends come later in the draft, and you could say they continue to be one of the best 3-4 defenses in the league.

Lets genuinely pick the BPA and go for Peterson if he is still there at No3

Comment

Working...
                            X