PDA

View Full Version : Wonderlic Scores out.

Extremebillsfan247
03-17-2011, 08:44 AM
According to Mortreport here are some of those scores via his twitter. McElroy 43, Gabbert 42, Ponder 35, Stanzi 30, Dalton 29, Mallett 26, Newton 21, Locker 20.

PTI
03-17-2011, 08:51 AM
I thought Dalton would score higher. Gabbert is higher than I though, and Mallett, Newton, and Locker are about what I expected, and really not dreadful. We already know that Gailey may have a liking for Ponder.

DraftBoy
03-17-2011, 09:00 AM
Leaked via Twitter from Chris Mortensen for those that may not be familiar with the Mortreport name.

Mr. Miyagi
03-17-2011, 09:14 AM
Link? I need confirmation before paying out to Newton's score.

Extremebillsfan247
03-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Link? I need confirmation before paying out to Newton's score.https://twitter.com/mortreport You might have to scroll down some, It was tweeted around an hour ago.

Mr. Miyagi
03-17-2011, 09:23 AM
I'll wait till it comes from a more official source.

psubills62
03-17-2011, 09:26 AM
It's the Wonderlic scores...you're not going to get anything official. They are never anything but rumor.

DraftBoy
03-17-2011, 09:27 AM
Since when is Mortensen not credible?

Bangarang
Surprised by Mallett's score. Guess he's smarter than people give him credit for.

Mr. Miyagi
It's the Wonderlic scores...you're not going to get anything official. They are never anything but rumor.
Well it's being reported by PFT and Mortensen. I guess that's good enough.

psubills62
03-17-2011, 09:31 AM
Mort generally seems hit or miss (mostly the latter). He's not exactly a reporter I trust entirely.

DesertFox24
03-17-2011, 09:35 AM
Surprised by Mallett's score. Guess he's smart than people give him credit for.

His mom is a teacher and his dad is high school football coach.

His background and family are a teams dream and he seems to be a likeable guy. The problems with him are he acts like he is a gangsta and does the guy love film.

PTI
03-17-2011, 09:35 AM
Surprised by Mallett's score. Guess he's smart than people give him credit for.

It could confirm him as a 1st round pick.

ublinkwescore
03-17-2011, 09:44 AM
I thought Dalton would score higher. Gabbert is higher than I though, and Mallett, Newton, and Locker are about what I expected, and really not dreadful. We already know that Gailey may have a liking for Ponder.

Ponder's my choice in a Bills Uni.

Bangarang
03-17-2011, 09:50 AM
I'm still hoping we draft Ponder with our 2nd pick assuming he lasts that long.

ddaryl
03-17-2011, 09:54 AM
Newton scored higher then I guessed. Not great but not Vince Young

ddaryl
03-17-2011, 09:56 AM

when you have bets that need to be paid off.

Miyagi-san is in pretty deep I do beleive

Dujek
03-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Newton must have handed in somebody else's paper.

TigerJ
03-17-2011, 10:51 AM
The only one that surprises me a bit is Locker. I thought he might be at least in the high 20s. I don't know that I'd regard any of those scores as unacceptably low if I were looking to draft a QB. I would prefer my QB in the upper 20s though, at least. Of course we all know the list of HOF QBs who scored in the teens including: Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, and (future hall of famer) Brett Favre.

BuffaloBlitz83
03-17-2011, 11:12 AM
Just cause Newton is Black and Athletic does not mean he is Dumb or cheated. Some of you and your hidden racist mentality. I'm not even black.

TacklingDummy
03-17-2011, 11:18 AM
According to Mortreport here are some of those scores via his twitter. McElroy 43, Gabbert 42, Ponder 35, Stanzi 30, Dalton 29, Mallett 26, Newton 21, Locker 20.

So McElroy is going to be the next great QB?

Or are these tests just meaningless?

DraftBoy
03-17-2011, 11:20 AM

Or are these tests just meaningless?

As it has been said countless times they are part of the puzzle. They are neither meaningless or the only indicator of what's going to happen.

Forward_Lateral
03-17-2011, 11:21 AM
Just cause Newton is Black and Athletic does not mean he is Dumb or cheated. Some of you and your hidden racist mentality. I'm not even black.

It has nothing to do with the colour of his skin. It's the fact that he acts like a brainless dumb ass off the field. Smart people don't do the crap he did.

DraftBoy
03-17-2011, 11:25 AM
It has nothing to do with the colour of his skin. It's the fact that he acts like a brainless dumb ass off the field. Smart people don't do the crap he did.
Plenty of smart people have made some really ******ed decisions over the years. He's had a grand total of zero off field arrests, his name has been slandered for stealing something he never took, and Thayer Evans violated federal law in speaking about his academic record which has never been confirmed.

TacklingDummy
03-17-2011, 11:33 AM
So they are meaningless, gotcha.

Dr. Lecter
03-17-2011, 11:35 AM
So they are meaningless, gotcha.
No, but I am getting an idea of what you would score........

TacklingDummy
03-17-2011, 11:41 AM
I wonder what piece of the puzzle was Jim Kelly 15, Dan Marino 15, Terry Bradshaw 15, Steve McNair 15, Rick Mirer 31, Steve Stenstorm 35, Ryan Leaf 27, Scott Frost 38, Brian Griese 39, Jason Maas 43, etc...fit.

The test is a waste of time and meaningless Period

TacklingDummy
03-17-2011, 11:42 AM
No, but I am getting an idea of what you would score........
I wouldn't take the test because it's meaningless. It's really that simple. It's not that hard to understand.

X-Era
03-17-2011, 11:50 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/17/your-2011-wonderlic-score-wrapup/

Gabbert matched his practice score, Mallet and Newton are about where I expected. Floored by Locker's score.

X-Era
03-17-2011, 11:51 AM
I wonder what piece of the puzzle was Jim Kelly 15, Dan Marino 15, Terry Bradshaw 15, Steve McNair 15, Rick Mirer 31, Steve Stenstorm 35, Ryan Leaf 27, Scott Frost 38, Brian Griese 39, Jason Maas 43, etc...fit.

The test is a waste of time and meaningless PeriodFootball IQ is much more important.

Mr. Miyagi
03-17-2011, 11:56 AM
The only person being racist is the one that brings up race as an issue when it isn't and was never mentioned. I can't speak for everyone but it had never crossed my mind even once, and I get the feeling that I'm not alone in this.

What a completely moronic ignorant post.

Bill Cody
03-17-2011, 11:59 AM
I wouldn't take the test because it's meaningless. It's really that simple. It's not that hard to understand.

A high score is pretty meaningless. A very low score for a QB is to me meaningful. You should pull up a sample of the test before you spout off. it's not exactly differential equations. If you have a QB score a 7 like Vince Young supposedly did before his "retest" I'd consider that a problem. I bet my maltipoo could score a 6 if he could hold a pencil. To me the wonderlic is a rejection tool not a selection tool. I had Newton down for 19 in the poll. 21? Not bad. Not a reason to cross him off any lists IMO.

DraftBoy
03-17-2011, 12:08 PM

The test is a waste of time and meaningless Period

Your data set is lacking a little...

mikemac2001
White people hate black people

DraftBoy
Btw Kaep scored a 37 reportedly.

TacklingDummy
03-17-2011, 12:13 PM
To me the wonderlic is a rejection tool not a selection tool. I had Newton down for 19 in the poll. 21? Not bad. Not a reason to cross him off any lists IMO.
So Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Terry Bradshaw, Steve McNair, Donavan McNabb 14, should have been rejected, gotcha.

BuffaloBlitz83
03-17-2011, 12:14 PM
The only person being racist is the one that brings up race as an issue when it isn't and was never mentioned. I can't speak for everyone but it had never crossed my mind even once, and I get the feeling that I'm not alone in this.

What a completely moronic ignorant post.

I'm sure the person that posted he must have cheated or said oh he did a lot better than I expected. Where do these types of assumptions stem? Do we hear this with White QB's? Newton is not a bad kid. He is not a thug. So don't assume he will likely score a 5 or is a dumb box of rocks that cheated, discrediting his score

TacklingDummy
03-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Btw Kaep scored a 37 reportedly.
Where will they put his bronze bust in the Hall of Fame?

DraftBoy
03-17-2011, 12:16 PM
Where will they put his bronze bust in the Hall of Fame?

Next to your own as the man who figured out Wonderlic means nothing after only looking at 10 scores and not even knowing what the questions are.

TacklingDummy
03-17-2011, 12:17 PM
Ryan Fitzpatrick scored a 48 on his test. There's no need to replace him.

TacklingDummy
03-17-2011, 12:18 PM
Next to your own as the man who figured out Wonderlic means nothing after only looking at 10 scores and not even knowing what the questions are.
Actually I looked at 100's of scores. You shouldn't assume something you know nothing about.

DraftBoy
03-17-2011, 12:21 PM
Actually I looked at 100's of scores. You shouldn't assume something you know nothing about.

Oh I know far more than you'd like to think I do.

You looked at 100's but only posted a few that support your point, which means you're using an exception to prove a rule. Which we both already knew you were going to go with, which is the go to argument of people who think the Wonderlic is pointless.

It was perdictable, and Ive seen far better effort from others who have tried and failed the same argument for years and years.

BuffaloBlitz83
03-17-2011, 12:21 PM
Have any of you taken the Wonderlic? I have for my job during hiring process. Really stupid timed test. It doesn't prove at all if you are smarter, more based on how quick you are to answer many questions. Speed at answering questions to me does not correlate to speed at picking up defensive schemes or offensive playcalls

DraftBoy
03-17-2011, 12:23 PM
Have any of you taken the Wonderlic? I have for my job during hiring process. Really stupid timed test. It doesn't prove at all if you are smarter, more based on how quick you are to answer many questions. Speed at answering questions to me does not correlate to speed at picking up defensive schemes or offensive playcalls

Ive taken it a few times. Its just a fun test, there are plenty of sample Wonderlic's to take online.

Somebody did it on the BZ years ago.

TacklingDummy
03-17-2011, 12:24 PM
You looked at 100's but only posted a few that support your point, which means you're using an exception to prove a rule. Which we both already knew you were going to go with, which is the go to argument of people who think the Wonderlic is pointless.

There's really no reason to post more scores, good or bad, considering the test is 100% meaningless. Fact of the matter it doesn't matter one bit what anyone scores on the wonderlic test. What matters is what that player does on the field.

You keep thinking the test matters. That's ok.

DraftBoy
03-17-2011, 12:30 PM
There's really no reason to post more scores, good or bad, considering the test is 100% meaningless. Fact of the matter it doesn't matter one bit what anyone scores on the wonderlic test. What matters is what that player does on the field.

You keep thinking the test matters. That's ok.

Keep thinking that's what I said.

Mr. Miyagi
03-17-2011, 12:37 PM
I'm sure the person that posted he must have cheated or said oh he did a lot better than I expected. Where do these types of assumptions stem? Do we hear this with White QB's? Newton is not a bad kid. He is not a thug. So don't assume he will likely score a 5 or is a dumb box of rocks that cheated, discrediting his score
I was one of the people that think he scored a lot higher than expected. I gave him a 12. Why? Because he SOUNDS LIKE A DUMBASS. It is my opinion only of course.

Like I said, don't make it a race thing when it isn't, or you risk looking like a racist yourself. Just because someone is a minority, it does not mean he/she cannot be criticized without it being a racial issue.

BuffaloBlitz83
03-17-2011, 12:51 PM
I was one of the people that think he scored a lot higher than expected. I gave him a 12. Why? Because he SOUNDS LIKE A DUMBASS. It is my opinion only of course.

Like I said, don't make it a race thing when it isn't, or you risk looking like a racist yourself. Just because someone is a minority, it does not mean he/she cannot be criticized without it being a racial issue.

I only brought up race when someone posted Newton got a 21, He must have cheated.

Dujek
03-17-2011, 01:21 PM

Yeag of course. And it couldn't be that people made comments because Newton has already been caught cheating because he couldn't cope academically, could it?

malvado78
03-17-2011, 01:25 PM
I only brought up race when someone posted Newton got a 21, He must have cheated.

But he has been accused/reported to have cheated in college...

I am not condoning the cheated on wonderlic comment but I believe there was a little sarcasm in it.

So now commenting on possibility of Newton cheating is racist instead of it being a possibility since he has done it in the past?

I assume the wonderlic at the combine is administered in a fairly controlled/proctored environment. I believe it would likely be hard to cheat on.

Calm down, calm down

Now the racist issue could be seen more when he is being compared to other QB's when people only are able to use other black QB's.

I think he may be a more mobile Rapelesberger.

I can see a bit of comp to Vince Young I guess. Maybe his size is that of Jamarcus but he has been much more productive...

Philagape
03-17-2011, 01:55 PM
FYI Kaepernick scored a 37, not that it matters

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-source-Colin-Kaepernick-scored-a-37-on-Wonderlic.html

DraftBoy
03-17-2011, 02:16 PM
Yeag of course. And it couldn't be that people made comments because Newton has already been caught cheating because he couldn't cope academically, could it?

Unproven speculation by a man who violated federal law.

That report was never confirmed.

better days
03-17-2011, 02:20 PM

Well nobody said only blacks are dumb or cheat, BUT Newton CHEATED & was caught doing so THREE times which is pretty dumb.

djjimkelly
03-17-2011, 02:21 PM

no it only shows how good of a problem solver you are and how you perform under pressure

mikemac2001
03-17-2011, 04:15 PM
george bush hates cam newton

BidsJr
03-17-2011, 04:38 PM

Guess we know how you ended up.

Extremebillsfan247
03-17-2011, 08:21 PM

Or are these tests just meaningless? Not exactly. Wonderlic scores are based on intellect and not physical talent level. From My understanding of what Teams use the Wonderlic score for is to determine the level of speed and accuracy at which a player can process information. For example: If it took a QB like Cam Newton 16 to 18 days to learn a playbook, it might take McElroy less than half that time. I could be wrong on that though.

TigerJ
03-17-2011, 09:25 PM
I've taken a sample Wonderlic a few times, scoring in the mid to upper 40s. I agree it seems to focus on reasoning and problem solving in a timed /pressure situation. It seems as if it may have some application in assessing QBs' ability to read defenses quickly and decide where to throw the ball. Since the league uses it in the combine, I rather tend to think the NFL agrees. Obviously, as has been cited there are plenty of exceptions. An NFL GM has to be able to do the research, and then look a potential draftee (like Jim Kelly or Brett Favre or Michael Vick) in the eye and decide if he sees something to justify ignoring the Wonderlic. You can never have too much information in the draft, but the decision on how to weight that information is more of an art form than a science.

BTW, Had I taken the Wonderlic 38 years ago, it would still not have been an indication that I could play QB in the NFL.

jcdavey
03-17-2011, 10:26 PM
damn, so close, i believe i pegged newton for a 20, wtg kid!

DraftBoy
03-18-2011, 10:54 AM
More scores leaking out;
Patrick Peterson-9
AJ Green-10
Julio Jones-15
Kendall Hunter-9
Prince Amukamara-35
Nathan Enderle-38
Anthony Castonzo-41
Danny Watkins-40
Scott Tolzein-38
Julius Thomas-35
Steve Schilling-35
Chris Culliver-9

Extremebillsfan247
03-18-2011, 11:05 AM
More scores leaking out;
Patrick Peterson-9
AJ Green-10
Julio Jones-15
Kendall Hunter-9
Prince Amukamara-35
Nathan Enderle-38
Anthony Castonzo-41
Danny Watkins-40
Scott Tolzein-38
Julius Thomas-35
Steve Schilling-35
Chris Culliver-9I don't know if there is truth to it, but it has been said that the closer a player is to the ball at the scrimmage line, the higher his Wonderlic score is likely to be. So averages change based on that. That is just what I've heard though.

DraftBoy
03-18-2011, 11:14 AM
I don't know if there is truth to it, but it has been said that the closer a player is to the ball at the scrimmage line, the higher his Wonderlic score is likely to be. So averages change based on that. That is just what I've heard though.

I actually have heard it both ways. I know QB wise anything above 20 is considered fine.

BuffaloBlitz83
03-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Peterson with a 9 Dammmm lol

Extremebillsfan247
03-18-2011, 12:28 PM
Peterson with a 9 Dammmm lolYeah, he sure makes Cam Newton look good from that perspective doesn't he? lol

Bill Cody
03-18-2011, 12:29 PM
So Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Terry Bradshaw, Steve McNair, Donavan McNabb 14, should have been rejected, gotcha.

None scored in single digits. But someone with a 15 at QB would give me pause yes. The guys you list were hall of fame level talents so you'd probably override a fairly low score if everything else was free of red flags. Again it's just one piece of a pretty large puzzle, certainly not the biggest piece. Sometimes guys that aren't too bright will catch on but it will take more time. Bradshaw is a guy that struggled for years before he got it and the press and fans called him dumb. You want to believe the test is useless? Fine. Ok by me. But tell that to the 32 teams that use it. No offense but they might know more about talent evaluation than you do.

Bill Cody
03-18-2011, 12:35 PM

Actually that's why the NFL uses it. Most of the decisions a QB makes aren't advanced physics. But they do require processing of a fairly significant amount of info in under 2 seconds. Processing info quickly and correctly is in fact one measure of intelligence and in this case perhaps the only one that matters. Teams don't care if players are capable of getting an MBA only that they can perform on the field. They can evaluate college performance and that tells a great deal but the fact is the NFL game is faster and more complicated. Thus the test.

psubills62
03-18-2011, 12:38 PM
More scores leaking out;
Patrick Peterson-9 - SEC
AJ Green-10 - SEC
Julio Jones-15 - SEC
Kendall Hunter-9 - Big 12
Prince Amukamara-35 - Big 12
Nathan Enderle-38 - Big Sky
Anthony Castonzo-41 - ACC
Danny Watkins-40 - Big 12
Scott Tolzein-38 - Big Ten
Julius Thomas-35
Steve Schilling-35 - Big Ten
Chris Culliver-9 - SEC

Veeeery interesting.

psubills62
03-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Actually that's why the NFL uses it. Most of the decisions a QB makes aren't advanced physics. But they do require processing of a fairly significant amount of info in under 2 seconds. Processing info quickly and correctly is in fact one measure of intelligence and in this case perhaps the only one that matters. Teams don't care if players are capable of getting an MBA only that they can perform on the field. They can evaluate college performance and that tells a great deal but the fact is the NFL game is faster and more complicated. Thus the test.
I hope you don't think the Wonderlic is advanced physics either.

Bill Cody
03-18-2011, 01:11 PM
I hope you don't think the Wonderlic is advanced physics either.

No. That's the point.

psubills62
03-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Updating a previous item, Missouri QB Blaine Gabbert scored a 31 -- not a 42 -- on the Combine Wonderlic exam.

It's not nearly as impressive as Gabbert's initial score, which he recorded at the Athletes' Performance Institute while prepping for the Scouting Combine. Thus, the top two quarterback scores in Indy were posted by Greg McElroy (43) and Colin Kaepernick (37). They both beat out Sam Bradford's 36.

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football?r=1

Bangarang
03-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Not that impressive anymore.

TacklingDummy
03-19-2011, 05:56 AM
Wasn't impressive to begin with. Who gives a shlt what someone scores on a test?

What matters is what someone does on the field.

Extremebillsfan247
03-19-2011, 07:30 AM
Wasn't impressive to begin with. Who gives a shlt what someone scores on a test?

What matters is what someone does on the field.
Are you offended by test scores? lol Although I agree that all that really matters is what someone does on the field, inquiring minds like to know these things. That's why this thread went 4 pages deep. If you don't care about them, then it would only seem to be common sense that you not read the threads created about them, but that's just my opinion.