PDA

View Full Version : The Dream Scenario (glass half full outlook)

hydro
03-17-2011, 03:47 PM
Since the start of 2011 the Sabres have been 19-10-4. Getting 42 of 66 available points.

They were unlikely to make the playoffs until this new years run. Currently, it looks like they'll be the 7 or 8 seed. So, unless some how the Sabres don't make the playoffs, there is a decent shot they could be playing the Caps.

Dream: The Sabres beat the Caps in the playoffs.
Bigger Dream: The Sabres win the Stanley Cup.
Biggest Dream: The Sabres beat the Caps in the playoffs en route to winning the Cup.

If any of those things happen, it will embolden the already giddy Sabres fan base still on a high from their new owner coming in and changing the mindset of the team. This will still not be good enough for Op, at least as far as hockey is concerned because it will be a "fluke".

Of course, the converse to this is the nightmare scenario: the Caps sending the Sabres to their 2nd straight first-round exit, but I think we match-up much better against a finesse Caps team. The Caps have been playing above their level lately, but the Sabres are just as good of a team that has also been overachieving.

{Thought I would post this to show what Op's thread could have been if he were an optimist. Probably would have been a thread that wouldn't have turned into everyone pilling on him.}

chernobylwraiths
03-17-2011, 04:12 PM
No, the nightmare scenario is them being in a firm grasp of a playoff spot and then losing out in April to fall out of the playoffs. Losing to Washinton, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Philly and Columbus.

Ebenezer
03-17-2011, 04:22 PM
I'll take the playoffs and being bounced in the first round over not making the playoffs, any day.

G Wolly
03-17-2011, 05:38 PM
I'll take the playoffs and being bounced in the first round over not making the playoffs, any day.

Anything can happen once you're in the playoffs. Nothing is 100% certain.

But we aren't built for playoff hockey. We aren't physical enough.

OpIv37
03-18-2011, 07:50 AM
In case you didn't notice, I'm a Bills, Sabres, Notre Dame and Nationals fan.

Notre Dame has had their past glories but nothing other than a few big regular season victories in the last 20 years or so. The Bills and Sabres usually suck, and even when they don't, they underachieve and don't win the big one. The Nationals haven't been around long but they've sucked for their entire existence so far.

The dream scenario doesn't happen. Ever.

trapezeus
03-18-2011, 08:35 AM
i concur with eb, playoffs or die. being the 9th seed will still be too high to get a playmaker in the draft. best to sneak in and provide 1 more week of heightened excitement. i love the adreline of a playoff goal and even more so and OT playoff goal. plus the NYC sabres bars are packed and very exciting place to be.

PTI
03-18-2011, 09:53 AM
Flyers were 7th last year, weren't they? Montreal was 8th, right? They played each other for the Eastern Conference finals.

JD
03-18-2011, 06:31 PM
Flyers were 7th last year, weren't they? Montreal was 8th, right? They played each other for the Eastern Conference finals.
Who won the cup?

Mski
03-18-2011, 07:50 PM
this season is begining to remind me of the Penguins season, when they lost to Detroit in the Finals. They sucked first half of the year, changed coaches, barely made the playoffs, and eventually lost to Detroit. While we didnt change coaches mid season, we did change owners, and first line centers.