PDA

View Full Version : Dave Matter For Buffalo News On Gabbert

DraftBoy
03-18-2011, 10:40 AM
http://ht.ly/4hig9

COLUMBIA, Mo. — Former Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert would not reveal the local restaurant where he dined with Buffalo Bills representatives Wednesday night, but he gave the meal his approval.

“I had the filet,” he said. “It was a good steak.”

On Thursday, he washed it down with an impressive showing at his Pro Day workout inside MU’s Devine Pavilion, a carefully scripted 30-minute throwing session designed to showcase Gabbert’s ability to take snaps from under center, drop back and deliver a variety of throws. Gabbert, who elected not to throw at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, worked almost exclusively out of spread shotgun formations at Missouri, where he threw for 6,779 yards and 40 touchdowns in 26 games the last two seasons.

Matter covers Missouri for the Columbia Daily Tribune, he's watched Gabbert's career since the beginning.

Bangarang
03-18-2011, 10:51 AM
“My sole focus is on football,” Gabbert said. “I’m not here to entertain anybody. I’m here to get the playbook and throw the football.”

Shots fired at Newton?

Prov401
03-18-2011, 05:28 PM
Coming out of a spread offense, why does this guy not have 70 td passes?

better days
03-18-2011, 06:44 PM

MANY College QB's play out of the spread offense, who has 70 TD passes?

wmoz11
03-18-2011, 08:04 PM
I've said it once and I'll say it again: Gabbert reminds me of Matt Ryan coming out. He put up less than stellar numbers because of a supporting cast that wasn't very good (and other issues, possibly), but has great mechanics and a good mind for the game.

djjimkelly
03-18-2011, 08:30 PM
I've said it once and I'll say it again: Gabbert reminds me of Matt Ryan coming out. He put up less than stellar numbers because of a supporting cast that wasn't very good (and other issues, possibly), but has great mechanics and a good mind for the game.

and of course the bills couldnt use a matt ryan type lol

yeah right

he's my number 1 desire as of now

my board

gabbert
dareaus
miller
peterson

one of these 4 must be the pick

wmoz11
03-18-2011, 08:40 PM
I haven't been a huge fan of a QB at 3, but recently I've been thinking Gabbert might be our guy. There isn't a guy at an immediate need position that I desperately want.

wmoz11
03-19-2011, 01:16 AM
Pro Football Weekly now reporting that Gabbert scored a 31 on the Wonderlich - not a 42 Not that it really matters. It's still a nice score.

Extremebillsfan247
03-19-2011, 07:48 AM
My guess would be not a very good running game. In the open field, a QB has an easier time passing the ball. In the redzone, coverage is a lot tighter, especially with out an effective running game to keep that defense honest or off balance. When you have a QB like Gabbert who is known for dinking and dunking, tucking and running, without an effective running game, it becomes easier to defend against especially in the redzone. JMO

Extremebillsfan247
03-19-2011, 07:57 AM
Here's what I think, if Gabbert is really good, we wont have a chance at drafting him. If he doesn't go to Carolina number 1 overall, it will raise my level of skepticism on him because no one has him under a bigger microscope right now than they do. JMO

alohabillsfan
03-19-2011, 08:06 AM
Throwing the ball on scripted routes means virtually nothing.

Jan Reimers
03-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Pro Football Weekly now reporting that Gabbert scored a 31 on the Wonderlich - not a 42 Not that it really matters. It's still a nice score.
If everyone had an 11 point media bonus added to their score, Newton actually scored a 10. Which sounds about right.

SquishDaFish
03-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Throwing the ball on scripted routes means virtually nothing.

It does when they are WRs he has NEVER worked with and never comfortable with like other QB prodays.

X-Era
03-19-2011, 10:20 AM
Here's what I think, if Gabbert is really good, we wont have a chance at drafting him. If he doesn't go to Carolina number 1 overall, it will raise my level of skepticism on him because no one has him under a bigger microscope right now than they do. JMOAny team with a QB need has just as big a microscope. What you're describing is that Carolina is doing more diligence than any other team. I disagree. And what does it mean if Gabbert goes #2 or #3? Does that mean he went from really good to crap because he didn't go #1? I don't see that.

X-Era
03-19-2011, 10:23 AM
It does when they are WRs he has NEVER worked with and never comfortable with like other QB prodays.Not sure everyone caught that. Heres an article:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-01/2011-nfl-draft/story/missouri-qb-blaine-gabbert-will-throw-to-unfamiliar-receivers

"What made Gabbert's performance (http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-01/2011-nfl-draft/story/missouri-qb-blaine-gabbert-will-throw-to-unfamiliar-receivers#) more impressive was that he was throwing to players who largely were strangers. Missouri doesn't have any draft-eligible receivers, and current NFL receivers were prohibited from participarting because of the lockout. So Gabbert had to throw to players from Missouri state schools: wide receivers Jamorris Warren (Central Missouri State) and Jamere Holland (Lindenwood College), tight end Josh Baker (Northwest Missouri State) and running back Anthony Stewart, who was hobbled after pulling his hamstring while running the 40-yard dash"

All lesser known, small school guys.

baalworship
03-19-2011, 05:23 PM
Here's what I think, if Gabbert is really good, we wont have a chance at drafting him. If he doesn't go to Carolina number 1 overall, it will raise my level of skepticism on him because no one has him under a bigger microscope right now than they do. JMO

Ben Roethlisberger, #11 overall.

Phillip Rivers # 4 overall

Aaron Rodgers, #24th overall.

Josh Freeman, #17th overall

These are all quarterbacks that were passed over by the first team and second team and third team, etc. They all turned out ok.

The Jokeman
03-20-2011, 02:45 PM
2010 1 19 19 Sean Weatherspoon Falcons LB
2009 1 19 19 Jeremy Maclin Eagles WR
1 32 32 Evander Hood Steelers DT
2 23 55 William Moore Falcons DB
3 34 98 Chase Coffman Bengals TE
5 3 139 Colin Brown Chiefs T
6 26 199 Stryker Sulak Raiders DE
2008 4 6 105 William Franklin Chiefs WR
4 12 111 Martin Rucker Browns TE
2007 4 14 113 Brian Smith Jaguars DE
2006 4 6 103 Brad Smith Jets WR
7 35 243 Tony Palmer Rams G

Above is the last 4 years of what has been drafted out of Mizzu and bolded the skilled position players. While Maclin has been a pretty good WR for the Eagles he
s still not a number 1 guy in Philly. The rest have showed to be solid depth guys but again no superstars. I realize that QB is a different position but it's worth noting what they churn out and when NFL brass seeks taking them. As guys like Rucker and Coffman had great college stats but might be a product of a good system. Gabbert plays that same system but his numbers are far from great. That's why he's a BIG TIME risk to take at number 3. I;ve read the comparisons to Matt Ryan but while Ryan's been a great story for the Falcons let's not forget as when the Falcons were getting him they also were able to secure a great running game with Michael Turner getting John Abraham from the Jets etc. and making other moves to shore up the team around him. The BIlls had the WORST defense in the NFL last year. Not middle of the road or average but the WORST and yet yet won 4 games and who knows how many more had the D been a little better in OT games. As Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't to blame for Steve Johnson's dropped catch against the Steelers or Lindell's missed FG in KC or the D collapse against Baltimore. Let's work on improving the D with Dareus. Because if Gailey does fail with Dareus et all at least we'll have some flexibility if the next regime chooses to play a 4-3.

alohabillsfan
03-20-2011, 04:00 PM
It does when they are WRs he has NEVER worked with and never comfortable with like other QB prodays.

Really, do you think those recievers just showed up that morning and Gabbert hasnt been working with them the lasy week? Serious, And people thank you? WOW. No pass rush, no defense, no progressions. gimme a break.

better days
03-21-2011, 12:10 AM
Really, do you think those recievers just showed up that morning and Gabbert hasnt been working with them the lasy week? Serious, And people thank you? WOW. No pass rush, no defense, no progressions. gimme a break.

Well the same can be said about Cam Newton, except he did play a lot with the receivers at his pro day & he still couldn't hit them.

SquishDaFish
03-21-2011, 04:40 AM

Wow a few days or even a week compared to other QBs prodays where they work with the guys they have been working with for seasons or guys who are already in the NFL. Give me a break

DraftBoy
03-21-2011, 07:28 AM
Not sure everyone caught that. Heres an article:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-01/2011-nfl-draft/story/missouri-qb-blaine-gabbert-will-throw-to-unfamiliar-receivers

"What made Gabbert's performance (http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-01/2011-nfl-draft/story/missouri-qb-blaine-gabbert-will-throw-to-unfamiliar-receivers#) more impressive was that he was throwing to players who largely were strangers. Missouri doesn't have any draft-eligible receivers, and current NFL receivers were prohibited from participarting because of the lockout. So Gabbert had to throw to players from Missouri state schools: wide receivers Jamorris Warren (Central Missouri State) and Jamere Holland (Lindenwood College), tight end Josh Baker (Northwest Missouri State) and running back Anthony Stewart, who was hobbled after pulling his hamstring while running the 40-yard dash"

All lesser known, small school guys.

All also arguably more talented than the players he had in his WR corp this season too.

Holland was on scholarship at Oregon before they cleaned house, Warren is one of the best WR in D2, and Baker is a great H-Back prospect. All three are getting strong NFL looks.

Gabbert throwing to small school guys (who are not lesser known) was not a diservice to Gabbert.

alohabillsfan
03-21-2011, 07:56 AM
Wow a few days or even a week compared to other QBs prodays where they work with the guys they have been working with for seasons or guys who are already in the NFL. Give me a break

Hey, you are the one that said NEVER... But go ahead and keep hoping the franchise gets set back 5 more years!

SquishDaFish
03-21-2011, 04:01 PM
Hey, you are the one that said NEVER... But go ahead and keep hoping the franchise gets set back 5 more years!

Did I say I want Gabbert? Would I be upset if we drafted him no. I rather draft DL first and then Locker,Mallet, Kapernick in rd 2