• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Dave Matter For Buffalo News On Gabbert

COLUMBIA, Mo. — Former Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert would not reveal the local restaurant where he dined with Buffalo Bills representatives Wednesday night, but he gave the meal his approval.

“I had the filet,” he said. “It was a good steak.”

On Thursday, he washed it down with an impressive showing at his Pro Day workout inside MU’s Devine Pavilion, a carefully scripted 30-minute throwing session designed to showcase Gabbert’s ability to take snaps from under center, drop back and deliver a variety of throws. Gabbert, who elected not to throw at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, worked almost exclusively out of spread shotgun formations at Missouri, where he threw for 6,779 yards and 40 touchdowns in 26 games the last two seasons.
    Matter covers Missouri for the Columbia Daily Tribune, he's watched Gabbert's career since the beginning.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!
  • Bangarang
    • Sep 2010

Re: Dave Matter For Buffalo News On Gabbert

“My sole focus is on football,” Gabbert said. “I’m not here to entertain anybody. I’m here to get the playbook and throw the football.”
    Shots fired at Newton?

Comment

• Prov401
      President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
      • Aug 2008

Coming out of a spread offense, why does this guy not have 70 td passes?

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Prov401
        MANY College QB's play out of the spread offense, who has 70 TD passes?

Comment

• wmoz11
          • Sep 2008

I've said it once and I'll say it again: Gabbert reminds me of Matt Ryan coming out. He put up less than stellar numbers because of a supporting cast that wasn't very good (and other issues, possibly), but has great mechanics and a good mind for the game.

Comment

• djjimkelly
            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by wmoz11
            I've said it once and I'll say it again: Gabbert reminds me of Matt Ryan coming out. He put up less than stellar numbers because of a supporting cast that wasn't very good (and other issues, possibly), but has great mechanics and a good mind for the game.

and of course the bills couldnt use a matt ryan type lol

yeah right

he's my number 1 desire as of now

my board

gabbert
            dareaus
            miller
            peterson

one of these 4 must be the pick
            Last edited by djjimkelly; 03-18-2011, 08:32 PM.

Comment

• wmoz11
              • Sep 2008

I haven't been a huge fan of a QB at 3, but recently I've been thinking Gabbert might be our guy. There isn't a guy at an immediate need position that I desperately want.

Comment

• wmoz11
                • Sep 2008

Pro Football Weekly now reporting that Gabbert scored a 31 on the Wonderlich - not a 42 Not that it really matters. It's still a nice score.
                Last edited by wmoz11; 03-19-2011, 01:17 AM.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Prov401
                  My guess would be not a very good running game. In the open field, a QB has an easier time passing the ball. In the redzone, coverage is a lot tighter, especially with out an effective running game to keep that defense honest or off balance. When you have a QB like Gabbert who is known for dinking and dunking, tucking and running, without an effective running game, it becomes easier to defend against especially in the redzone. JMO

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                    • Sep 2008

Here's what I think, if Gabbert is really good, we wont have a chance at drafting him. If he doesn't go to Carolina number 1 overall, it will raise my level of skepticism on him because no one has him under a bigger microscope right now than they do. JMO

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                      • Sep 2003

Throwing the ball on scripted routes means virtually nothing.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                        • May 2003

Originally posted by wmoz11
                        Pro Football Weekly now reporting that Gabbert scored a 31 on the Wonderlich - not a 42 Not that it really matters. It's still a nice score.
                        If everyone had an 11 point media bonus added to their score, Newton actually scored a 10. Which sounds about right.
                        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                          Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                          • Jun 2005

Originally posted by alohabillsfan
                          Throwing the ball on scripted routes means virtually nothing.
                          It does when they are WRs he has NEVER worked with and never comfortable with like other QB prodays.

Comment

• X-Era
                            What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Extremebillsfan247
                            Here's what I think, if Gabbert is really good, we wont have a chance at drafting him. If he doesn't go to Carolina number 1 overall, it will raise my level of skepticism on him because no one has him under a bigger microscope right now than they do. JMO
                            Any team with a QB need has just as big a microscope. What you're describing is that Carolina is doing more diligence than any other team. I disagree. And what does it mean if Gabbert goes #2 or #3? Does that mean he went from really good to crap because he didn't go #1? I don't see that.

Comment

• X-Era
                              What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by SquishDaFish
                              It does when they are WRs he has NEVER worked with and never comfortable with like other QB prodays.
                              Not sure everyone caught that. Heres an article:

"What made Gabbert's performance more impressive was that he was throwing to players who largely were strangers. Missouri doesn't have any draft-eligible receivers, and current NFL receivers were prohibited from participarting because of the lockout. So Gabbert had to throw to players from Missouri state schools: wide receivers Jamorris Warren (Central Missouri State) and Jamere Holland (Lindenwood College), tight end Josh Baker (Northwest Missouri State) and running back Anthony Stewart, who was hobbled after pulling his hamstring while running the 40-yard dash"

All lesser known, small school guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X