PDA

View Full Version : If you had to choose on a top QB this year or trade up for Luck, what would you do?

X-Era
03-19-2011, 08:26 AM
Heres the premise. The Bills own a pick this year that may get them the best QB in this draft or one of the top 2. Luck is a better prospect but will go #1 overall next year. That's not a given but highly likely.

So here's the question, what would you do? Would you take Gabbert or Newton at 3, or wait until next year and trade the many picks it will take to move up to #1 and draft Luck?

Draft chart shows the pick is worth 3000 points. If we pick at 8, thats 1400 points and we still need to include our 2nd (500 points), 3rd (230 points), and more.

I added a choice for those who feel Fitz is the answer. Not really the intention of the thread but I'd like to hear your opinion still.

I added a choice for those who feel we can easily find a late round gem. Again not really the intention but a few are out there.

Disclaimers:
This thread also doesn't allow for us to pick #1 overall next year through our record. I think that is highly unlikely.
This poll is meant for the folks that view QB is a significant priority. It's also meant for people who want the best draftee we can get.

Extremebillsfan247
03-19-2011, 08:45 AM
Heres the premise. The Bills own a pick this year that may get them the best QB in this draft or one of the top 2. Luck is a better prospect but will go #1 overall next year. That's not a given but highly likely. This thread also doesn't allow for us to pick #1 overall next year through our record. I think that is highly unlikely too. This poll is meant for the folks that view QB is a significant priority. It's also meant for people who want the best draftee we can get.

So here's the question, what would you do? Would you take Gabbert or Newton at 3, or wait until next year and trade the many picks it will take to move up to #1 and draft Luck?

Draft chart shows the pick is worth 3000 points. If we pick at 8, thats 1400 points and we still need to include our 2nd (500 points), 3rd (230 points), and more.
Man, that's a very tough question to answer. There's a good chance we wont be picking in the top 5 next year so you would probably end up having to give up a lot to move to the number 1 spot which is something Nix doesn't like doing. Your essentially gambling no matter what you choose to do in that scenario. I'd have to go with Newton at that point. I think overall Gabbert is a better QB. But I think Newtons talent makeup is probably a better fit for the late in the year Buffalo weather. That's my opinion.

SquishDaFish
03-19-2011, 08:47 AM
It is tough but if we were guaranteed two great picks this year and def getting luck next then yea Id trade up for Luck

X-Era
03-19-2011, 08:47 AM
Man, that's a very tough question to answer. There's a good chance we wont be picking in the top 5 next year. Your essentially gambling no matter what you choose to do in that scenario. I'd have to go with Newton at that point. I think overall Gabbert is a better QB. But I think Newtons talent makeup is probably a better fit for the late in the year Buffalo weather. That's my opinion.I know. And it feels like some are skipping the details.

X-Era
03-19-2011, 08:50 AM
It is tough but if we were guaranteed two great picks this year and def getting luck next then yea Id trade up for LuckI just don't see any guarantees personally.

T-Long
03-19-2011, 08:57 AM
I would rather get Gabbert or Newton now, give him a year in Chan's system then bank on losing picks in 2012 to trade up and get Luck. I don't want to prelong this any longer than it has to. Luck is not a sure thing and neither is Newton or Gabbert, but I myself, am tired of waiting till next year every season. Take the QB you want now and let's move on with him and hope for the best. Buddy Nix/Doug Whaley are great talent evaluators and Chan Gailey is one of the most underrated coaches in the business. If they feel like Gabbert or Newton is their guy, then I am on board. It's not me drinking the kool aid, but it's me having faith in two guys that have been very successful and in this business for a long time.

Jan Reimers
03-19-2011, 09:11 AM
I'm liking Gabbert more and more. He's smart, fairly athletic, has a strong arm and no baggage. I don't worry so much about the system he played in college, because if you're bright, and your mechanics are sound, there shouldn't be a huge transition to the pro game.

djjimkelly
03-19-2011, 09:13 AM
i agree with t long

id rather take gabbert this year and have him with a year under his belt.

im sorry newton is a non option for me as a GM

id never invest the 3rd pick in draft in a 1 year wonder who isnt accurate.

if the bills where doing the decathlon id take newton since we play football gabbert is the man.

X-Era
I would rather get Gabbert or Newton now, give him a year in Chan's system then bank on losing picks in 2012 to trade up and get Luck. I don't want to prelong this any longer than it has to. Luck is not a sure thing and neither is Newton or Gabbert, but I myself, am tired of waiting till next year every season. Take the QB you want now and let's move on with him and hope for the best. Buddy Nix/Doug Whaley are great talent evaluators and Chan Gailey is one of the most underrated coaches in the business. If they feel like Gabbert or Newton is their guy, then I am on board. It's not me drinking the kool aid, but it's me having faith in two guys that have been very successful and in this business for a long time.Terry, I'm totally on the same page with you.

Extremebillsfan247
It is tough but if we were guaranteed two great picks this year and def getting luck next then yea Id trade up for Luck

All risks have to be taken into consideration because anything can happen. I think its better to take 2 chances instead of 1. Your chances of landing a QB that can turn your franchise around instantly become greater. That is Carolina's thought process right now. Things didn't work out with Clausen last year, and now they have an opportunity to roll the dice on another QB if they choose to. You could essentially use that same logic here hypothetically anyway.

djjimkelly
03-19-2011, 09:14 AM
I'm liking Gabbert more and more. He's smart, fairly athletic, has a strong arm and no baggage. I don't worry so much about the system he played in college, because if you're bright, and your mechanics are sound, there shouldn't be a huge transition to the pro game.

i dont worry bout the system he played in becuz 3rd in long he will be in his comfort zone in the shotgun

X-Era
03-19-2011, 09:15 AM
i dont worry bout the system he played in becuz 3rd in long he will be in his comfort zone in the shotgunWe actually a 4 wide on a lot of downs and quite frequently.

djjimkelly
03-19-2011, 09:18 AM
We actually a 4 wide on a lot of downs and quite frequently.

not to mention gailey is already familiar with running the pistol.

gabbert could easily do that here.

elltrain22
03-19-2011, 09:23 AM
I have definetley warmed up to the idea of Gabbert. I'd still take Dareus, Von Miller, before Gabbert, but I'd be very happy w/ Gabbert. I think he's got a very good chance to be very good in this league.

X-Era
03-19-2011, 09:24 AM
All risks have to be taken into consideration because anything can happen. I think its better to take 2 chances instead of 1. Your chances of landing a QB that can turn your franchise around instantly become greater. That is Carolina's thought process right now. Things didn't work out with Clausen last year, and now they have an opportunity to roll the dice on another QB if they choose to. You could essentially use that same logic here hypothetically anyway.In a way, It's NE's approach to drafting. IMO, they have been less successful than many teams in drafting but I can understand the logic... more picks = better chance to get good players.

Personally, I want to do the homework, take your best possible shot at the position, and work your ass off to give that draftee every chance to succeed and be your answer. But I also don't want to forfeit the rest of the team and needs to do it.

Put it this way, if this draft was stacked differently, with top 5 level ILB's or a lack of depth at DE or DT I might feel differently about taking one of these guys at 3.

But with the way this draft seems to layout, I like what we may get at DE or DT outside of round 1 and I think we may get the best ILB prospect outside of round 1 as well. And, I think we can get a decent pass rushing OLB in rounds 2 and beyond also.

mrbojanglezs
03-19-2011, 11:27 AM
who says the team with the first pick would even trade down? If luck is so good they will be running to the podium next year. I don't get the people who say wait and draft luck

alohabillsfan
03-19-2011, 01:09 PM
We could pick Gabbert this year, start him for all 16 games and then we could draft Luck!

tampabay25690
03-19-2011, 01:14 PM
I would grab newton or Gabbert at #3 if 1 of them are there.....

To get Luck at the #1 spot next year that BAD team will want a ton in return to get Luck.....
I say we draft the QB this year and go defense the rest of the draft....With a OL, and TE in the mix.......

tampabay25690
03-19-2011, 01:16 PM
I have definetley warmed up to the idea of Gabbert. I'd still take Dareus, Von Miller, before Gabbert, but I'd be very happy w/ Gabbert. I think he's got a very good chance to be very good in this league.

I agree with you.
If we do go that direction of QB either it be Newton or gabbert Im pretty good with it. You know they won't start there 1st year........Learn under Fitz and Chan for a year or 2....

Joe Fo Sho
03-19-2011, 01:35 PM
With only those options, I'll stick with Fitzmagic for now.

ublinkwescore
03-19-2011, 01:40 PM
I would be for us taking Gabbert, if and only if Dareus is gone - only way.

Blacksheep71
03-19-2011, 03:43 PM
For me Andrew Luck has been identified as a Top5 choice in whatever draft he chose to declare in since he was scouted out of high school.

Gabbert and Newton have come out of knowhere in the season just gone, have looked good in pre-draft tests ..... BUT .....

If Luck had declared this year, I'd have offered Carolina No3, No34 and No1 next year to get him.

Gabbert and Newton maybe franchise QBs.

Luck is the most certain QB since Peyton Manning to be a franchise QB

Yasgur's Farm
03-19-2011, 05:33 PM
I know. And it feels like some are skipping the details.They've been skipping the details all along... We likely won't get the chance to draft this good of a QB for 10 years. Not that they're that good, but that we're not likely to draft high enough in the coming years.

So where do we get our franchise QB from?

1) We can assume Luck doesn't pull a Locker... But there's no way we can afford to give up what it would take in order to trade up for next years best QB. That is, of course, that team is willing to trade at all.

2) We could trade for McNabb, Kolb, Orton, etc... But I don't think there's a franchise guy there.

3) We could rely on Fitz to hold down the fort while we hope somebody from the later rounds becomes Tom Brady.

4) We can take advantage of the best opportunity we'll have for years IMO. I prefer Newton over Gabbert... But I'll settle for either. Hell, I could even live with Locker if I had to.

I'm not saying taht it's Gospel that any of these guys will end up our franchise QB... Only saying it's the best opportunity we'll have for years.

Luisito23
03-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Disappointing how many people want Gabbert at 3...

Blacksheep71
03-20-2011, 04:44 AM
They've been skipping the details all along... We likely won't get the chance to draft this good of a QB for 10 years. Not that they're that good, but that we're not likely to draft high enough in the coming years.

So where do we get our franchise QB from?

1) We can assume Luck doesn't pull a Locker... But there's no way we can afford to give up what it would take in order to trade up for next years best QB. That is, of course, that team is willing to trade at all.

If we look at teams who potentially might be picking at No1 in 2012, not all will want a QB especially if they have millions tied up in a massive QB contract.

Depending who teams select in this draft it might well be that of the Top6/7 teams next year only one or two might have a QB need and some might prefer Barkley over Luck or prefer to go with someone like Jones, Foles or Pryor in Round 2 themselves. It might not be necessary to mortgage the farm

YardRat
03-20-2011, 05:39 AM
Considering the options, I'll roll the dice with Fitz, concentrate on defense and the o-line for a couple of seasons, and take a shot at a QB some other time.

I'm not taking a chance at #3 on either Gabbert or Newton, and I doubt the team's overall talent level will be that much better next season where we could afford to trade up for Luck.

Yasgur's Farm
03-20-2011, 08:33 AM
If we look at teams who potentially might be picking at No1 in 2012, not all will want a QB especially if they have millions tied up in a massive QB contract.

Depending who teams select in this draft it might well be that of the Top6/7 teams next year only one or two might have a QB need and some might prefer Barkley over Luck or prefer to go with someone like Jones, Foles or Pryor in Round 2 themselves. It might not be necessary to mortgage the farmThat's a whole lotta iffin right there... And it would still leave us with no 2012 draft to speak of.

I'd much prefer to take my legit chances with Newton or Gabbert (or Locker, Mallet) and keep my other 14 picks for the next 2 seasons.

better days
03-20-2011, 09:09 AM

Depending who teams select in this draft it might well be that of the Top6/7 teams next year only one or two might have a QB need and some might prefer Barkley over Luck or prefer to go with someone like Jones, Foles or Pryor in Round 2 themselves. It might not be necessary to mortgage the farm

There has been a shortage of starting quality QB's in the NFL for years. I can guarantee you at least as many teams will need a QB next year as this year. If the team picking #1 does not need a QB they can easily trade down if Luck or another QB is the clear #1 pick in the draft.

Blacksheep71
03-20-2011, 09:59 AM
There has been a shortage of starting quality QB's in the NFL for years. I can guarantee you at least as many teams will need a QB next year as this year. If the team picking #1 does not need a QB they can easily trade down if Luck or another QB is the clear #1 pick in the draft.

And it should be therefore the Bills moving up if we don't have the No1 overall.

Even if we end up giving a 1st, 3rd and a 1st the following year, if we can enhance the defense this year, that would allow us in 2012, to go

R1 Luck
R2 a LT if Bell is still average
R4 on depth

I see the WRs getting better as they become more experienced and if we can grab Rudolph at No34 then the offense will be on its way to getting fixed

better days
03-20-2011, 10:42 AM
And it should be therefore the Bills moving up if we don't have the No1 overall.

Even if we end up giving a 1st, 3rd and a 1st the following year, if we can enhance the defense this year, that would allow us in 2012, to go

R1 Luck
R2 a LT if Bell is still average
R4 on depth

I see the WRs getting better as they become more experienced and if we can grab Rudolph at No34 then the offense will be on its way to getting fixed

Well, that would assume the team drafting #1 does not need a QB. I think it is much more likely the team drafting #1 next year will want the best QB themselves.

X-Era
03-21-2011, 06:11 PM
Well, that would assume the team drafting #1 does not need a QB. I think it is much more likely the team drafting #1 next year will want the best QB themselves.And that's very possible.

BertSquirtgum
03-21-2011, 10:36 PM
i will be suicidal if the bills pick gabbert if dareus is still available.

Ed
03-22-2011, 10:30 AM
who says the team with the first pick would even trade down? If luck is so good they will be running to the podium next year. I don't get the people who say wait and draft luck
Exactly. Whoever has the #1 pick next year is going to have a gold mine in Andrew Luck. The cost to actually trade up to grab him would be so outrageous it's not even realistic. You can throw those draft pick value charts out the window because when you have a guy like Luck there, they just don't apply.

Extremebillsfan247
03-22-2011, 10:57 AM
Another thing that has to be considered is what if there is no season in 2011? It will definitely have an effect on who does pick number 1 overall. That is why this years draft is so crucial. You can either get your guy now, or wait and leave it up to fate that your lucky enough to even be in the discussion for a trade up to 1 in 2012. Even if your sitting at number 3 next year, the price for that pick I would imagine would be enormous. We are talking Herschel Walker big. The Bills are not a big enough franchise to withstand something like that without suffering enormous ramifications of such a trade. JMO

Raptor
03-22-2011, 11:02 AM
If you had the chance to draft Luck would you trade that away?

I think outside of massive injuries across the board we have zero shot at A.Luck

Extremebillsfan247
03-22-2011, 11:15 AM
If you had the chance to draft Luck would you trade that away?

I think outside of massive injuries across the board we have zero shot at A.LuckI have to agree with that. If Luck is the next Peyton Manning type franchise QB, any team in their right mind, even if they do not need a QB, would be insane to give that opportunity up. That is why I think the price for a trade up would be enormously expensive to any team looking to do so. JMO

Ed
03-22-2011, 12:28 PM
I have to agree with that. If Luck is the next Peyton Manning type franchise QB, no team in their right mind, even if they do not need a QB, would be insane to give that opportunity up. That is why I think the price for a trade up would be enormously expensive to any team looking to do so. JMO
Yeah even if you like your current qb, if you have the chance to draft Luck you do it and trade away your other qb.

Novacane
03-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Go 0-16 so we won't need to trade up for Luck.

Extremebillsfan247
03-22-2011, 05:11 PM
Go 0-16 so we won't need to trade up for Luck.If this team were going to use that plan, they might as well cut Gailey his final check now and get it over with. No way do we keep a Coach that went 4-12 and 0-16 in consecutive years. It's not happening. Of course I could imagine some here liking that idea, but I think its tremendously stupid.

better days
03-22-2011, 05:32 PM
If this team were going to use that plan, they might as well cut Gailey his final check now and get it over with. No way do we keep a Coach that went 4-12 and 0-16 in consecutive years. It's not happening. Of course I could imagine some here liking that idea, but I think its tremendously stupid.

Not only stupid, but very hard to pull off. Only one team has had that accomplishment.

X-Era
03-25-2011, 08:34 PM
The most votes has been to draft Gabbert at 3, but the next most is to make the huge trade up to get Luck next year... I'm a bit surprised more don't want Newton.

SABURZFAN
03-26-2011, 10:41 AM
there is no top QB in this draft.