PDA

View Full Version : Bills will NOT draft a WR at #3

psubills62
03-22-2011, 12:04 PM
According to SI's Peter King, the Bills will not draft a wide receiver at No. 3 overall.

King says Buffalo will either draft a front-seven defender or quarterback, with Marcell Dareus, Da'Quan Bowers, Von Miller, Cam Newton, and Blaine Gabbert all distinct possibilities. An A.J. Green-Steve Johnson pairing would be pretty lethal, but the Bills still have Lee Evans and Roscoe Parrish, and are high on young wideouts Donald Jones and David Nelson.
http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football

I know k-oneputt will be disappointed about this, but that's just how life is.

Mr. Miyagi
03-22-2011, 12:06 PM
How soon we forget. Lee Evans can be a top shelf receiver with a decent QB.

trapezeus
03-22-2011, 12:09 PM
i hate peter king's reports when he delves into predictions and comedy.

but the guy consistently networks to get the best of the best inside information. This post made me happy.

Ed
03-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Plus we should get to add Easley into the mix this year.

Novacane
03-22-2011, 12:17 PM

Evans is not a top shelf receiver.

BertSquirtgum
03-22-2011, 12:35 PM

miyagi said he CAN be a top shelf receiver and he would have been a perennial pro-bowler if he wasn't stuck with garbage qb play for the last 6 years.

madness
03-22-2011, 12:36 PM
It's Peter King...

It's now confirmed we will be drafting a WR @ #3.

Novacane
03-22-2011, 12:44 PM
miyagi said he CAN be a top shelf receiver and he would have been a perennial pro-bowler if he wasn't stuck with garbage qb play for the last 6 years.

I won't argue a better QB would have helped him. Not so sure he'd of ever been a perennial pro-bowler.

Mr. Miyagi
03-22-2011, 12:46 PM
Totally is.

OpIv37
03-22-2011, 12:50 PM
I'm glad we're not drafting a WR at #3 but I don't know why we'd say this publicly. It kills any chance of a trade down with anyone looking for the top WR (not that many GM's would trade up to 3 to take a WR, but you never know).

Dr. Lecter
03-22-2011, 12:54 PM
I'm glad we're not drafting a WR at #3 but I don't know why we'd say this publicly. It kills any chance of a trade down with anyone looking for the top WR (not that many GM's would trade up to 3 to take a WR, but you never know).

How so?

If the team @ #4 wants a WR the other team would move up to #3.

And the Bills never said it publically

mayotm
03-22-2011, 12:56 PM
I'm glad we're not drafting a WR at #3 but I don't know why we'd say this publicly. It kills any chance of a trade down with anyone looking for the top WR (not that many GM's would trade up to 3 to take a WR, but you never know).Did I miss something? Where did the Bills say anything publicly about who they are or aren't drafting? Peter King isn't on the Bills payroll last time I checked.

better days
03-22-2011, 12:56 PM
How so?

If the team @ #4 wants a WR the other team would move up to #3.

And the Bills never said it publically

I agree. The rest of the league know the Bills wants & needs & they do not include a WR.

Ed
03-22-2011, 12:57 PM
We didn't say it publicly. Peter King did.

OpIv37
03-22-2011, 01:01 PM
He reported it like he knew something, not like it was his opinion.

If it's his opinion, fine, you guys are right. If he got the info from someone in the FO and used it as the basis of the story, then that person needs to STFU.

THRILLHO
03-22-2011, 01:05 PM
What caught my attention is that Lee Evans is in the "still have" list, and King said Green would be paired up with Johnson. Means nothing, but interesting that S. Johnson is being called the #1 WR in this article.

BuffaloBlitz83
03-22-2011, 01:06 PM

Last time I checked as much as I dislike Fitz he was Def at worst decent last year. And Lee Sucked was not close to being Top Shelf.

djjimkelly
03-22-2011, 01:09 PM

add in stevie johnson we have a nice wr core

djjimkelly
03-22-2011, 01:13 PM

he put up pretty nice numbers with losman

:couch:

Novacane
03-22-2011, 01:19 PM
Totally is.

Stats don't back that up. Look at guys like Larry Fitz. He still put up decent #'s with garbage QB's last year. If Evans needs a Peyton Manning to put up #'s he is not a top WR. Hell, he's not even the best WR on his team.

Novacane
03-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Last time I checked as much as I dislike Fitz he was Def at worst decent last year. And Lee Sucked was not close to being Top Shelf.

Fitz made a 7th round WR look pretty good. Of course that's probably only because everyone was double teaming Evans.........................NOT!

justasportsfan
03-22-2011, 01:23 PM

thats because we had Qb's that belonged on the shelf.

justasportsfan
03-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Fitz made a 7th round WR look pretty good. Of course that's probably only because everyone was double teaming Evans.........................NOT!

Fitz said he if more familiar with Stevie because they were both on the 2nd team during practices and camp. Besides Lee is made to take the deep routes because he is faster and better at it . Fitz does not have the arm to be a constant deep route qb.

switch Lee's and Stevie's routes. Make Lee run short to mid and have Stevie run deep all the time ,I guarantee you Lee's nos. gets better than Stevie.

Novacane
03-22-2011, 01:29 PM
thats because we had Qb's that belonged on the shelf.

What about last season? He was outplayed by SJ. Does that mean we have 2 top shelf WR?

justasportsfan
03-22-2011, 01:30 PM
What about last season? He was outplayed by SJ. Does that mean we have 2 top shelf WR?

see my last post prior to this.

Novacane
03-22-2011, 01:31 PM
Fitz said he if more familiar with Stevie because they were both on the 2nd team during practices and camp. Besides Lee is made to take the deep routes because he is faster and better at it . Fitz does not have the arm to be a constant deep route qb.

switch Lee's and Stevie's routes. Make Lee run short to mid and have Stevie run deep all the time ,I guarantee you Lee's nos. gets better than Stevie.

Maybe so. Facts are you can't guarantee anything. It's an opinion. Evans is a decent WR. He's not one of the best in the league. That's all I'm saying.

Novacane
03-22-2011, 01:33 PM
A % of Bills fans are the only people that look at Evans as a top WR. I'm not saying he's a bum. I like him. He's just not an elite WR.

justasportsfan
03-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Maybe so. Facts are you can't guarantee anything. It's an opinion. Evans is a decent WR. He's not one of the best in the league. That's all I'm saying.

I agree, it's an opinion. He may or may not be a top shelf wr but to simply say one way is not accurate either. When he's had a qb who can take advantage of his skills, he's had top shelf nos.

Gailey , Fitz and even Stevie has given props to Lee for Stevie success because they know that teams focus more on Lee.

Until we get a qb who can make teams pay when they leave Lee one on one, we may never know if Lee could have been a better wr if he played with a Peyton.

With Fitz penciled in as the starter at the start of camp and Gailey having a better idea about his players, it should be an interesting year offensively .

But I agree that we should NOT draft a wr unless we can get a 1st round for Lee which I doubt we can.

justasportsfan
03-22-2011, 01:48 PM
A % of Bills fans are the only people that look at Evans as a top WR. I'm not saying he's a bum. I like him. He's just not an elite WR.
Not saying he's elite right now but there's the possibility that he could have been if he had a qb and a coach who didn't have a philosophy of playing not to lose both offensively and defensively. With Dick, it was his job to go deep and his nos. suffered when you add to the fact that he had a qb who thought that 20 was a hailmary. Even last year it was still his job to go deep and open thing up for Parrish and stevie.

k-oneputt
03-22-2011, 01:54 PM
Maybe King and the rest of the league finally think the Bills have some front office people { Nix/Gailey and that's it } that know how to actually build a team.
Although they did draft a top-10 rb last year so we will see.

Novacane
03-22-2011, 02:01 PM
Not saying he's elite right now but there's the possibility that he could have been if he had a qb and a coach who didn't have a philosophy of playing not to lose both offensively and defensively. With Dick, it was his job to go deep and his nos. suffered when you add to the fact that he had a qb who thought that 20 was a hailmary. Even last year it was still his job to go deep and open thing up for Parrish and stevie.

I pretty much agree with all you are saying. I'm disagreeing with MM who's saying Evans is a top WR now. It's just not true. 37 catches last year. A whopping 6 more catches than David Nelson. I don't care who the QB is. Elite WR don't put up those kind of #'s
It looked like he was gonna be a perennial prowbowler back in 06. Just never happened. QB and coaches hurt him. No argument there.

BertSquirtgum
03-22-2011, 02:23 PM

less dropped passes for certain.

BertSquirtgum
03-22-2011, 02:24 PM

why did he get double teamed for 5 straight years if we're the only ones who consider him a top talent?

EDS
03-22-2011, 02:39 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football

I know k-oneputt will be disappointed about this, but that's just how life is.

This is not exactly breaking news. Bills would be pretty foolish to draft Green at 3.

better days
03-22-2011, 02:45 PM

You were right until you..................added the NOT! So you are WRONG.

better days
03-22-2011, 02:49 PM

And aside from going deep, he has been double teamed for years, even when TO was on the team.

better days
03-22-2011, 02:52 PM

When SJ starts getting double teamed & still puts up the numbers, then you can say he has overtaken Evans. I doubt that happens anytime soon. Lee will be the WR that draws double coverage again this year.

k-oneputt
03-22-2011, 03:03 PM
This is not exactly breaking news. Bills would be pretty foolish to draft Green at 3.

Yes it would but we are dealing with the Bills and some of the so called "experts" around here. So we will see if they do stupid again. Lets hope not.

BuffaloBlitz83
03-22-2011, 03:07 PM
I'd trade Lee Evans for a Long Snapper

Buddo
03-22-2011, 03:27 PM
I think Evans is still close on being a top WR. There's an awful lot he does very well - including blocking downfield. He rarely makes mistakes, and while he doesn't get utilised much through a full route tree, he's perfectly capable of running it.
I think Fitz and Gailey need to get working on getting the ball to Evans more often.
I'd also say that in the last few games when he was missing, there were some good shots called, that I believe Evans would have caught, as his additional speed would have allowed him to be perfectly placed, whereas Johnson and Jones, weren't able to do so.
For my money, Evans is still a serious part of what Gailey wants to do on offense.

better days
03-22-2011, 05:03 PM
I'd trade Lee Evans for a Long Snapper

Well, if you were a GM I have no doubt your team would finish last every year until you were fired.

Novacane
03-22-2011, 05:10 PM
And aside from going deep, he has been double teamed for years, even when TO was on the team.

I don't watch all the film and either do you so we don't know he is double teamed every play. I've seen plenty of plays where he was not. For sake of argument I will concede you that point. That is why he is NOT a top WR. Fitzgerald, Wayne, Marshall , White, etc, You think those guys are not double teamed all the time? yet they still produce. Amazing. A doule team makes Lee Evans disapear. All I'm saying is don't tell me Lee Evans is a top WR in the league. He's not. He had a great year in 06 and a good year in 08. Other than those years he's been average.

better days
03-22-2011, 05:20 PM
I don't watch all the film and either do you so we don't know he is double teamed every play. I've seen plenty of plays where he was not. For sake of argument I will concede you that point. That is why he is NOT a top WR. Fitzgerald, Wayne, Marshall , White, etc, You think those guys are not double teamed all the time? yet they still produce. Amazing. A doule team makes Lee Evans disapear. All I'm saying is don't tell me Lee Evans is a top WR in the league. He's not. He had a great year in 06 and a good year in 08. Other than those years he's been average.

Well, thanks for making my point for me. What did Fitzgerald or Marshall do last year without a decent QB? NOTHING.

Novacane
03-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Well, thanks for making my point for me. What did Fitzgerald or Marshall do last year without a decent QB? NOTHING.

Fitzgerald 90 catches 90/1137 6TD

Marshall 86/1014 3TD

Evans 37/578 4TD

Evans had arguably the best QB and best WR across from him of those 3. Please don't tell me you think Evans belongs in the same category as those 2.

better days
03-22-2011, 05:39 PM

Marshall 86/1014 3TD

Evans 37/578 4TD

Evans had arguably the best QB of those 3. Please don't tell me you think Evans belongs in the same category as those 2.

Fitzgerald 6TD's when he had 13 the year before & 12 the year before that.

Marshall 3TD's when he had 10 the year before.

Again, thanks for making my point all three receivers lacked a decent QB to get them the ball. And all 3 did NOTHING last year.

If Arizona & Miami do not get better QB's I can see Evans having a better year than both of them next year.

BertSquirtgum
03-22-2011, 05:44 PM

Marshall 86/1014 3TD

Evans 37/578 4TD

Evans had arguably the best QB and best WR across from him of those 3. Please don't tell me you think Evans belongs in the same category as those 2.
i'm sure you watched the games. it was obvious fitz had a love affair with johnson because he threw to him........i'm guessing around 3 times more often than to evans.

Novacane
03-22-2011, 06:06 PM

Again, thanks for making my point all three receivers lacked a decent QB to get them the ball. And all 3 did NOTHING last year.

If Arizona & Miami do not get better QB's I can see Evans having a better year than both of them next year.

LOL. OK. They put up more than twice the catches and yards but they had equal seasons because Evans was right with them in TD's. They all put up pathetic TD #'s and that's your defense of Evans? Comical.

I'm done with this thread. You ain't gonna convince me Evans is a top WR because there is no proof you can point to other than "he's had ****ty QB's" That ain't proof of anything.

Novacane
03-22-2011, 06:09 PM
i'm sure you watched the games. it was obvious fitz had a love affair with johnson because he threw to him........i'm guessing around 3 times more often than to evans.

What is it now? Did Fitz always throw SJ the ball because he had a love affair with him or because Evans was drawing all the coverage? Make up your mind.

better days
03-22-2011, 06:11 PM
LOL. OK. They put up more than twice the catches and yards but they had equal seasons because Evans was right with them in TD's. They all put up pathetic TD #'s and that's your defense of Evans? Comical.

I'm done with this thread. You ain't gonna convince me Evans is a top WR because there is no proof you can point to other than "he's had ****ty QB's" That ain't proof of anything.

Well as Hurkey Nuts said, Fitz threw the ball much more to Stevie than he did to Lee while both Fitzgerald & Marshall were the go to guys on their team.

COMICAL, you are done with this thread because you lose.

Novacane
03-22-2011, 06:24 PM
LOl. What's the point going round and round? It gets to a point of being stupid. I think I'm right. You think you're right. End of story.

Philagape
03-22-2011, 06:26 PM

Why? What will change?

How good can Evans be when he's not the "go-to guy" on his own team?

better days
03-22-2011, 06:59 PM
Why? What will change?

How good can Evans be when he's not the "go-to guy" on his own team?

What will change is the fact that Fitz will have the offseason (maybe) to get on the same page as Lee. In any event Evans is the receiver other teams double up on.

You guys think other teams want to take the receiver they don't fear will beat them out of the game by double covering him & leave the big weapon one on one?

Philagape
03-22-2011, 07:01 PM
What will change is the fact that Fitz will have the offseason (maybe) to get on the same page as Lee. In any event Evans is the receiver other teams double up on.

You guys think other teams want to take the receiver they don't fear will beat them out of the game by double covering him & leave the big weapon one on one?

Marshall and Fitz surely received double coverage, and they remained "go-to guys."

better days
03-22-2011, 07:02 PM
What is it now? Did Fitz always throw SJ the ball because he had a love affair with him or because Evans was drawing all the coverage? Make up your mind.

It was both & if you watched the games & read anything that was said by Fitz & Stevie last year you would know that.

better days
03-22-2011, 07:05 PM
Marshall and Fitz surely received double coverage, and they remained "go-to guys."

Yes they did & look at their numbers. Lee had one more TD than Marshall did while being thrown to much less while Fitzgerald who has been called the best receiver in the game in the past only had two more TD's than Evans did.

Philagape
03-22-2011, 07:09 PM
Yes they did & look at their numbers. Lee had one more TD than Marshall did while being thrown to much less while Fitzgerald who has been called the best receiver in the game in the past only had two more TD's than Evans did.

And they blew him away in catches and yards. They at least contributed something. Look at ALL the numbers instead of throwing out the ones that disprove your case.

better days
03-22-2011, 07:12 PM
And they blew him away in catches and yards. They at least contributed something. Look at ALL the numbers instead of throwing out the ones that disprove your case.

They had more catches & Yd's because they had the ball thrown to them more than twice as much as Evans did. Use some common sense.

And games are won & lost by POINTS ON THE BOARD not by the number of catches or yards, so they did not produce anymore than Lee did in that regard.

Philagape
03-22-2011, 07:34 PM
They had more catches & Yd's because they had the ball thrown to them more than twice as much as Evans did. Use some common sense.

And they had the ball thrown to them more because they're better. That's the common sense.

And games are won & lost by POINTS ON THE BOARD not by the number of catches or yards, so they did not produce anymore than Lee did in that regard.

When someone says "in that regard," it's a concession. If drives started in the red zone, you'd have a point. Gotta move the ball down the field to score. Evans did neither.

BertSquirtgum
03-22-2011, 07:42 PM

umm, both. there were times when i saw lee open and fitz still passed the ball to stevie. i know this because i dvr the games and watch them again later in the week. lee wasn't double covered every single play but you didn't disagree with me saying fitz passed to steve 3x more often. so, i'm assuming you thought my statement was true.

better days
03-22-2011, 07:45 PM
And they had the ball thrown to them more because they're better. That's the common sense.

When someone says "in that regard," it's a concession. If drives started in the red zone, you'd have a point. Gotta move the ball down the field to score. Evans did neither.

They had the ball thrown to them more because the other receivers on their team were nowhere near as good as Stevie Johnson & the rest of the Bills WR's.

I do have a point about the TD's scored. You can drive down the field all you want but the ball has to go in the endzone to score points & win games.

Evans put the ball in the endzone 4 times while Marshall did it only 3 times & Fitzgerald did it 6 times.

I will bet if you go to an Arizona board or Miami board, the fans on both boards are upset about the lack of production they received from Fitzgerald & Marshall. Not because of their play but because of the poor QB play.

justasportsfan
03-22-2011, 08:05 PM
I've seen plenty of plays where he was not. .
but if he ran more than 10 yards , Trent wasn't throwing it to him

Philagape
03-22-2011, 08:09 PM
They had the ball thrown to them more because the other receivers on their team were nowhere near as good as Stevie Johnson & the rest of the Bills WR's.

I do have a point about the TD's scored. You can drive down the field all you want but the ball has to go in the endzone to score points & win games.

Evans put the ball in the endzone 4 times while Marshall did it only 3 times & Fitzgerald did it 6 times.

I will bet if you go to an Arizona board or Miami board, the fans on both boards are upset about the lack of production they received from Fitzgerald & Marshall. Not because of their play but because of the poor QB play.

They all had down years, but their down years were better than his, and their good years were better than his, and unlike him they've had more good years than mediocre years. Because They. Are. Better.
Yeah, there was no one on the Bills as good as Johnson last year. Including Evans.
Lee Evans is about on the level of Qadry Ismail. Attempts to argue otherwise result in doozies such as "you can drive down the field all you want." Driving down the field and not scoring is better than not driving down the field and not scoring.

justasportsfan
03-22-2011, 08:10 PM

Marshall 86/1014 3TD

Evans 37/578 4TD

Lee had trent for 2 of those games and was out for 4 games and was with a rebuilding team with a first year coach.

better days
03-22-2011, 11:57 PM
They all had down years, but their down years were better than his, and their good years were better than his, and unlike him they've had more good years than mediocre years. Because They. Are. Better.
Yeah, there was no one on the Bills as good as Johnson last year. Including Evans.
Lee Evans is about on the level of Qadry Ismail. Attempts to argue otherwise result in doozies such as "you can drive down the field all you want." Driving down the field and not scoring is better than not driving down the field and not scoring.

They had better QB's throwing to them than Evans has ever had PERIOD. If Johnson is better than Evans then explain to me why Evans was double covered & not Johnson.

What good it driving down the field & not scoring? To take time off the clock? Well if your team is behind that is better? NOT.

BuffaloBlitz83
03-23-2011, 02:36 AM
there is always an excuse for Lee Evans. Moulds never got excuses. How many different QB's did Moulds have? He produced every year.

justasportsfan
03-23-2011, 08:07 AM
there is always an excuse for Lee Evans. Moulds never got excuses. How many different QB's did Moulds have? He produced every year.
first 7 years

Moulds 6457 yards
Lee 5943

Moulds nos would have suffered under Jauron for 4 years and Trent 2+ yrs.