PDA

View Full Version : Gailey Calls Out Maybin

Joe Fo Sho
03-22-2011, 05:15 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/27217/gailey-calls-out-first-rounder-aaron-maybin

This kid had better get it, and get it quickly.

Novacane
03-22-2011, 05:20 PM
Nice to hear a coach tell it like it is. Can you imagine what Jaurons answer would have been.

Extremebillsfan247
03-22-2011, 05:20 PM
Yeah, I read that. Good article. Maybin got drafted way too early, and based on talent alone. There will be a lot of prospects in this years draft who will face the same burdensome consequences to perform or else as Maybin did. That's tough. JMO

better days
03-22-2011, 05:26 PM
Pretty much what most have said on this board for quite a while.

BertSquirtgum
03-22-2011, 05:39 PM
In less words. Gailey basically said Maybin sucks. What a ****ing waste of a 1st round draft pick.

Mski
03-22-2011, 05:43 PM
I like when asked if it was because of lack of work, or lack of ability, Chan said "he works really hard"

TacklingDummy
03-22-2011, 05:50 PM
Just cut the worst Bills 1st round draft pick since at least 1978 and be done with it.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-22-2011, 05:53 PM
at least mike williams started and could run block a little, this guy cant even dress....

Novacane
03-22-2011, 05:54 PM
In less words. Gailey basically said Maybin sucks. What a ****ing waste of a 1st round draft pick.

Didn't it also sound like Chan was saying Maybin wants to do it his way instead of the coaches. With statements like "I don't think I've lit very many fires," Gailey said. "We might provide a spark, but he's got to get his own fire going. and We tell him all the time how to get there. He's got to do it makes it sound as if Maybin is a know it all punk who is going to do it his way even if it's not working.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-22-2011, 05:57 PM
draft brooks reed in rd 2 and cut kelsay and maybin, god i want to just move on from this crap

Novacane
03-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Just cut the worst Bills 1st round draft pick since at least 1978 and be done with it.

Could not agree more. There comes a time to admit you were wrong and move on. Hell, he's not even this regimes pick. They should not have any loyalty to him.

k-oneputt
03-22-2011, 06:05 PM
But, but, but the Bills scouts know more then us here, they are professionals, that's what they do, they have to know more. BS.
They've know ****** nothing for ten years.
Everyone on this board knew that picked sucked, just like the Whitner pick.

tomz
03-22-2011, 08:48 PM
It is amazing how much difference there is between working hard and working smart. I've had many students and other trainees work for me who never seemed to grasp the difference. There is a difference between putting in time and putting in disciplined, focused practice.

Maybe, as someone implied above, he is not a good listener and works hard, for example, in the weight room, but not at the skills ('leverage', using hands etc) that will make or break him. This would frustrate the hell out of coaches who are trying to teach those skills.

OpIv37
03-22-2011, 09:08 PM
I almost threw up when I read this:

Since Maybin entered the NFL, 797 players have recorded at least a half-sack. Of that group, 132 weren't drafted.

Mr. Miyagi
03-22-2011, 09:47 PM
I like when asked if it was because of lack of work, or lack of ability, Chan said "he works really hard"
It's like when someone asks about a girl "is she hot?" and you answer "well she's very nice."

FlyingDutchman
03-22-2011, 11:33 PM
It is amazing how much difference there is between working hard and working smart. I've had many students and other trainees work for me who never seemed to grasp the difference. There is a difference between putting in time and putting in disciplined, focused practice.

Maybe, as someone implied above, he is not a good listener and works hard, for example, in the weight room, but not at the skills ('leverage', using hands etc) that will make or break him. This would frustrate the hell out of coaches who are trying to teach those skills.

Great post I agree. It sounds like hes just not taking what is told to him and applying it. Hes trying, but is just dense or not a good listener. Ive been in sales all my life and have ran a sales team, and seen people with talent fail bc they do it their way and dont use the advice and tools given to them. They would beat their heads doing the same thing and get the same results. And yes its hella frustrating and i could sense that from gaileys comments. He basically said hes done all can for the kid and cant do anymore. Put up or youre gone.

Mike
03-22-2011, 11:49 PM
Well, its taken like 3years but at least we can all Finally agree on the Maybin pick.

bosshogg21
03-23-2011, 05:21 AM
Go figure. This guys mentor is lavar Arrington. This guy was out of the league 5 years into his career. Why?...because he could not follow a coaches orders. He did everything his way and this is the guy maybin has decided to get most of his advice from

don137
03-23-2011, 07:01 AM
As bad as Jauron was as a coach he was even worse drafting players. He set this team back because he still killing this team due to his poor drafting choices when he was here.

k-oneputt
03-23-2011, 07:50 AM
I blame the other so called HOF coach, Marv Levy, for bringing Jauron in.
One loser bringing in another and Ralph dumb enough to listen to the garbage they were feeding him.

alohabillsfan
03-23-2011, 08:26 AM
But, but, but the Bills scouts know more then us here, they are professionals, that's what they do, they have to know more. BS.
They've know ****** nothing for ten years.
Everyone on this board knew that picked sucked, just like the Whitner pick.

You have no idea what the "scouts" thought of the pick. It's been widely reported that Jauron made several selections on his own.

Bangarang
03-23-2011, 08:30 AM
Maybin can't even dress for games, yet Orakpo is playing in Pro Bowls. Sigh..

Bill Cody
03-23-2011, 09:01 AM
You can just feel how badly Gailey would like to use about 400 F bombs in that article. Thinking of a word that rhymes with "lust".

EDS
03-23-2011, 09:10 AM
I blame the other so called HOF coach, Marv Levy, for bringing Jauron in.
One loser bringing in another and Ralph dumb enough to listen to the garbage they were feeding him.

And these are the guys that brought in Buddy Nix . . .

Stewie
03-23-2011, 09:10 AM
I had hope for Aaron until I read this:

Maybin knows what's expected of him, Gailey insisted. The kid just hasn't done it.

To be clear, I asked whether the failure came down to Maybin not trying hard enough or simply not being good enough.

"I think he wants to. I think he wants to," Gailey said, leaving pauses between each sentence. "He works at it. I'm glad you [asked that]. I don't want anybody to think he doesn't work at it."

Another pause.

So that must mean he's not good enough, I deduced aloud.

Gailey didn't blink.

"I don't want anybody to think he doesn't work at it," Gailey replied with a raised-brow expression that confirmed the unspoken point had found its bull's-eye.

Oh well Aaron, it wasn't your fault you got drafted where you did. Hope you saved your money.

trapezeus
03-23-2011, 10:05 AM
you know if movies when someone breaks up with their ex and they have to exchange boxes of each other's crap, can we take maybin and put him on the eagles and then walk away with the independence of ditching the worst ex we may ever have signed (twice).

I've always said Dick Jauron seemed like a genuinely likable guy, but he was such an outrageously bad coach it drives me insane.

Night Train
03-23-2011, 10:36 AM
I would have tried him at TE last year because LB obviously isn't his calling.

k-oneputt
03-23-2011, 10:55 AM
You have no idea what the "scouts" thought of the pick. It's been widely reported that Jauron made several selections on his own.

I have ten years of the work by these "scouts" to draw from. How does it look to you ?

k-oneputt
03-23-2011, 10:57 AM
And these are the guys that brought in Buddy Nix . . .

Buddy is still getting the benefit of the doubt, we will see. I wasn't happy with a top-10 rb pick though and they had better hope Troup and Carrington can play.

k-oneputt
03-23-2011, 11:00 AM
I would have tried him at TE last year because LB obviously isn't his calling.

How about SS. Get his wait to about 220 and see if he can handle that. I just don't think he's a player no matter where you put him. When he can't play on special teams that is telling.

Joe Fo Sho
03-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Buddy is still getting the benefit of the doubt, we will see. I wasn't happy with a top-10 rb pick though and they had better hope Troup and Carrington can play.

Haven't you seen the video of Troup doing pushups?! That kid can play some football, I'll tell you what...

ChristopherWalken
03-23-2011, 11:17 AM
This is utterly nuseating: Bills general manager Buddy Nix said at the NFL scouting combine last month the Bills won't cut Maybin. Nix insisted they will find a way to use him somehow, somewhere.

I can't believe Nix can't see the writing on the wall. Which makes me think he is more than partial to blame for drafting this kid. He can't play the position he was drafted for. He can't play special team. What else is there?

The writing is on the wall Nix. Do it. Drop the axe and make way for someone that does get "it" and can do more than receive a pay check.

Terrible draft pick. Helen Keller would have made better use out an 11th overall draft pick. Hell, the Bills would have been better off just forfieting the pick. At least then the wouldn't have wasted the money. Terrible.

trapezeus
03-23-2011, 11:42 AM
there has to be some politics to this. i think the bills have so much money out to the guy that they owe it to themselves to see if he can find a place. also, there are minimums that the team has to spend. they are already in it with maybin, so you can pay him to stay above the min, if they are that close to the bottom.

Thank god we paid his holdout price. that was worth it. Where is Pegula?

Buffalogic
03-23-2011, 01:48 PM
We could have had Clay Matthews, Brian Cushing, or Orakpo and the bills picked Maybin lol. 75% shot to get a real LB and the bills failed again.