PDA

View Full Version : Gailey comments on Gabbert and Newton

X-Era
03-23-2011, 06:40 AM
“I can tell you right now there is no question they have outstanding skill sets — both of them,” Gailey said Tuesday at the league meetings to CBSSports.com among others. “Not average, not above average, outstanding — to play early and long.”

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/03/22/high-gailey-praise-for-qbs/

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/14845446/is-gabbert-newton-the-fix-for-qb-needy-bills

"Any time you have the opportunity to get a guy to take you to the Super Bowl for 10 or 12 years, you’ve got to take a long, hard look at the thing if you believe that," Gailey said. "You’ve got to believe that in your heart of hearts and you’ve got to make that thing happen. And if you don’t, where we sit right now is we’ve got Ryan who we really believe in and trust. Our team believes in him. We think we can win a bunch of football games with Ryan Fitzpatrick (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/547043/ryan-fitzpatrick). I think we can win a championship with him. It’s going to take getting some other components, but I think we can."

TacklingDummy
03-23-2011, 06:52 AM
Sounds like he's trying to build them up so that Carolina and Denver take them and the Bills get to pick the best defensive player on the board. Or someone trades ahead of the Bills.

Night Train
03-23-2011, 06:55 AM
I believe they're blanket comments that could apply to any position. Tells us nothing, typical for this time of year.

don137
03-23-2011, 06:59 AM
No coach is going to publicly criticize a top 10 pick 1 month before the draft. Even if they dont like the player(s) they will speak fondly of them since they will hope some other team will take them and they dont to tip their hand.

Bangarang
03-23-2011, 07:55 AM
Sounds like he's trying to build them up so that Carolina and Denver take them and the Bills get to pick the best defensive player on the board. Or someone trades ahead of the Bills.

I highly doubt Carolina or Denver care what Chan thinks about either player to the point that influences their decision.

Novacane
03-23-2011, 07:56 AM
If he really believes he can win a championship with Fitz it would be stupid to draft a QB.

stuckincincy
03-23-2011, 08:32 AM

Heh. :zipit:

Gailey's comments in February...

Bengals' quarterback options iffy
Joe Reedy, Cincinnati Enquirer Feb. 25, 2011:

...""It's not just your cut-and-dried pro-style of quarterbacks in this draft," said Buffalo coach Chan Gailey, whose team has the No. 3 pick. "So you're projecting a little bit more maybe than we have in years past on this group."

The differences on offense in college and pro ball can be profound, especially for a quarterback.

"You can handle it in shorts," Gailey said.

"But can you handle it when there's big guys on the other side about two yards away coming at you?"...

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110224/SPT02/102250365/Bengals-quarterback-options-iffy-?odyssey=mod_sectionstories

psubills62
03-23-2011, 08:43 AM
I still don't think they'll take a QB at #3. You could find evidence in his comments to support either view: that they'll draft one, or that they won't. Doesn't seem to change much, imo.

better days
03-23-2011, 08:53 AM
Heh. :zipit:

Gailey's comments in February...

Bengals' quarterback options iffy
Joe Reedy, Cincinnati Enquirer Feb. 25, 2011:

...""It's not just your cut-and-dried pro-style of quarterbacks in this draft," said Buffalo coach Chan Gailey, whose team has the No. 3 pick. "So you're projecting a little bit more maybe than we have in years past on this group."

The differences on offense in college and pro ball can be profound, especially for a quarterback.

"You can handle it in shorts," Gailey said.

"But can you handle it when there's big guys on the other side about two yards away coming at you?"...

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110224/SPT02/102250365/Bengals-quarterback-options-iffy-?odyssey=mod_sectionstories

I also have heard Gailey say he likes to play things close to the vest & not tip his hand about the draft.

TacklingDummy
03-23-2011, 10:24 AM
I highly doubt Carolina or Denver care what Chan thinks about either player to the point that influences their decision.
It might make someone trade with Denver so that they can grab 1 of the QB's in front of the Bills. Which works out even better.

mightysimi
03-23-2011, 02:57 PM
It might make someone trade with Denver so that they can grab 1 of the QB's in front of the Bills. Which works out even better.
Or allow a trade back. I wouldn't be crushed to trade back get a few more picks and end up with still a good player like Quinn.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-23-2011, 03:00 PM
ugh , looks like newton will go 1, gabbert 3 to buffalo. risky pick, would be scared but what the ****, hope it works out.

if they draft gabbert he needs to start right away and that way we will have another high pick while our qb gets his learning curve done and over with. playoff spot in 2012, at least that would be the plan....

bigfish2112
03-23-2011, 03:21 PM
ugh , looks like newton will go 1, gabbert 3 to buffalo. risky pick, would be scared but what the ****, hope it works out.

if they draft gabbert he needs to start right away and that way we will have another high pick while our qb gets his learning curve done and over with. playoff spot in 2012, at least that would be the plan....You know that isn't going to happen if they draft gabbert he will be sitting behind fitz for a year.

Novacane
03-23-2011, 03:23 PM

if they draft gabbert he needs to start right away and that way we will have another high pick while our qb gets his learning curve done and over with. playoff spot in 2012, at least that would be the plan....

It does not look like that is what's going to happen. No one has a clue what Carolina or Buffalo are thinking. Lots of opinions but that's all they are. Whatever you read from any NFL coach/gm/ scout right now take with a grain of salt.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-23-2011, 04:06 PM
You know that isn't going to happen if they draft gabbert he will be sitting behind fitz for a year.

i highly doubt it. if he plays he gets the learning curve over and done with for a young team and you will probably have another top 10-15 pick. nix will tell gailey to play him and let him learn.

number 3 pick never sits dude, period

Mad Max
03-23-2011, 04:27 PM
If he really believes he can win a championship with Fitz he would be stupid.

Fixed

Extremebillsfan247
03-23-2011, 04:31 PM
i highly doubt it. if he plays he gets the learning curve over and done with for a young team and you will probably have another top 10-15 pick. nix will tell gailey to play him and let him learn.

Nix isn't here to tell Gailey how to run the team. He is here to find players to help Gailey's team play better. Gailey doesn't care where a prospect is drafted, if that prospect isn't ready to play, he wont be playing on Sunday. That's an old school coaching philosophy and we have already seen examples of that from Gailey in 2010.

We already have a starting QB whether we like the decision or not in Fitzpatrick. Gailey isn't benching Fitz for a rookie QB unless that rookie earns it. I'll put money on that one. Just being drafted 3rd overall isn't good enough, on this team every prospect has to prove himself. Gailey would be the first to tell you that.

tampabay25690
03-23-2011, 04:38 PM

Thank you.....
Carolina and Denver are doing the same thing and analyzing the talent for there picks......
Chan probably really does like Cam and Blaine, but he probably likes a few others as well at #3......

I still have no clue in hell what the Bills are going to do....
They could go Blaine, Cam, or Dareus...

I will say I listened to Peter King this am and he said that Dareus is probably the guy the Bills want.........If Dareus is gone and Gabbert or Newton are there he thinks they may grab 1 of them......

tampabay25690
03-23-2011, 04:40 PM

I dont see it....
I can see Cam going 1st but I don't see Blaine Gabbert with Buffalo.......
I really think Cam is the QB thet the Bills are considering but i could be dead wrong......BUDDY has serious ties with Auburn......

Prov401
03-23-2011, 04:42 PM

lol... Plenty of top picks sit.

Carson Palmer sat behind Jon Kitna.

tampabay25690
03-23-2011, 04:47 PM
lol... Plenty of top picks sit.

Carson Palmer sat behind Jon Kitna.

If we draft a Gabbert or newton there is NO DOUBT that they will sit for a year or 2 and thats perfectly fine....
FITZ can do the job for now but u always look into the future anyway......
Hey Us Bills fans don't want us to be in the #3 spot again next year......

Get the guy now while u can if thats the direction the Bills go............

I would rather have NEWTON over GABBERT though.....

Prov401
03-23-2011, 04:49 PM
I'd definitely rather have Newton over Gabbert. But I'm hoping for Dareus or Peterson in that order. If they don't fall, I'd rather trade out. There are just too many ?'s between both Newton and Gabbert for my liking. Plus, I actually want to see a Bills first round pick start, and make a difference from day 1. We won't get that with a QB.

Extremebillsfan247
03-23-2011, 04:49 PM
I dont see it....
I can see Cam going 1st but I don't see Blaine Gabbert with Buffalo.......
I really think Cam is the QB thet the Bills are considering but i could be dead wrong......BUDDY has serious ties with Auburn......Gailey has family there too doesn't he? I thought I read that somewhere, I'd have to search around for it again. But anyway, I think your initial gut feeling is probably right here. They probably have more of a liking to Newton than Gabbert. JMO

THE END OF ALL DAYS
03-23-2011, 05:39 PM
i truly hope that chan does not think in his heart of hearts that fitzpatrick will take the bills to a super bowl cause if he does his heart of hearts is nothing but a heartattack

baalworship
03-23-2011, 06:23 PM
If you didn't think the Bills were going to draft a quarterback this statement is strong evidence that they are.

For those who say smoke screen, when is the last time the Bills tried to fool anyone? Donahoe is gone.

I think we take whichever QB Carolina passes on. My bet right now is they take Gabbert. That means Newton is the favorite to be the pick in my mind.

Extremebillsfan247
03-23-2011, 06:53 PM
i truly hope that chan does not think in his heart of hearts that fitzpatrick will take the bills to a super bowl cause if he does his heart of hearts is nothing but a heartattackI would think that Gailey would be at a better position to make that call than the average fan, do you agree or disagree?

Commissioner
03-23-2011, 07:31 PM
I would think that Gailey would be at a better position to make that call than the average fan, do you agree or disagree?

That's difficult to answer considering we lived through Jauron taking Maybin over Orakpo.

I don't trust anyone in that organization if they are still listening to scouts that ranked Maybin above Orakpo.

better days
03-23-2011, 07:40 PM
That's difficult to answer considering we lived through Jauron taking Maybin over Orakpo.

I don't trust anyone in that organization if they are still listening to scouts that ranked Maybin above Orakpo.

Well how do you know the scouts ranked Maybin above Orakpo? He was a Jauron pick & he may not have listened to the scouts at all.

Nighthawk
03-23-2011, 07:48 PM
If he really believes he can win a championship with Fitz it would be stupid to draft a QB.

If he really thinks he can win a championship with Fitz, then HE is stupid!

Commissioner
03-23-2011, 07:49 PM
Well how do you know the scouts ranked Maybin above Orakpo? He was a Jauron pick & he may not have listened to the scouts at all.

I find it hard to believe Jauron discovered Maybin without any help from the scouts.

X-Era
03-23-2011, 08:10 PM
I think Gailey wants to show support for his current starting QB. If Gailey truly felt Fitz was all he needed, he wouldn't be even talking about looking at potential franchise QB's in this draft.

elltrain22
03-23-2011, 08:26 PM

:pray:

Commissioner
03-23-2011, 08:29 PM
I'd rather bottom out and get Luck than any of the Qb's this year.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
03-23-2011, 08:50 PM
the odds of us getting first pick next year are slim to none. there are other teams who will do worse then us next year..... I think anyway :)

better days
03-23-2011, 09:31 PM
I find it hard to believe Jauron discovered Maybin without any help from the scouts.

Well, he could have been watching ESPN.

psubills62
03-23-2011, 09:55 PM
Yeah, it's not like these teams are on national TV or anything.

I don't know if it was entirely a Jauron pick or not, seems to easy to blame it on him. However, I do know that Ingtar has complained before about when he was a scout, that they would do tons of work on prospects, only to have coaches and GM's visit the combine and pro days and come back raving about various guys who had great workouts. Maybin had a very good workout, so I wouldn't be surprised if certain people who were not in the know supported the pick.

justasportsfan
03-23-2011, 11:13 PM
If we draft a Gabbert or newton there is NO DOUBT that they will sit for a year or 2 and thats perfectly fine....

the only thing I worry about that is that contracts are only for 4 years now.

psubills62
03-24-2011, 09:08 AM
Sources tell ESPN 101's Tony Softli that the Bills believe Cam Newton "is the franchise quarterback" the organization needs.

The same sources feel Buffalo is a good fit because Ryan Fitzpatrick can be a placeholder while Newton "develops." The situation could be similar to Donovan McNabb's when he broke into the league, often coming off the bench behind Doug Pederson. We're just not sure Newton is going to make it past the Panthers at No. 1. The Bills would probably take him if he does. http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football

EDS
03-24-2011, 10:41 AM

I doubt there are alot of NFL execs worried about needing to outsmart the Bills.

stuckincincy
03-24-2011, 02:16 PM

:bigwave:

BertSquirtgum
03-25-2011, 09:55 PM
i hope all this bull**** talk about drafting a quarterback scares some of the other teams into trying to trade up, so that we get another pick and can draft BPA around pick 10-15.

alohabillsfan
03-26-2011, 02:21 PM
I truely believe that this is a way to bait a team to trade up to #2 to get Cam/Blaine whichever is left allowing Dareus to be there for Buffalo.

Extremebillsfan247
03-26-2011, 03:46 PM
I think Gailey wants to show support for his current starting QB. If Gailey truly felt Fitz was all he needed, he wouldn't be even talking about looking at potential franchise QB's in this draft.I think Gailey feels he has his guy for the short term and now wants a prospect to put behind him for long term stability at the position. Nix plays an instrumental roll in that being the amount of experience he has with finding talented prospects. If Newton or Gabbert fit that mold, It's safe to say Nix will select one of the 2 on draft day. My feeling is that they intend to emulate what Green Bay did with Aaron Rodgers, and Dallas did with Tony Romo. Either prospect will get ample time to groom his game while Fitzpatrick takes the reigns for the next year to a year and a half. If the Bills go QB at 3, he's not likely to be named the Bills full time starter until at least the 2013 season at my best estimation. JMO

X-Era
03-26-2011, 06:57 PM
I think Gailey feels he has his guy for the short term and now wants a prospect to put behind him for long term stability at the position. Nix plays an instrumental roll in that being the amount of experience he has with finding talented prospects. If Newton or Gabbert fit that mold, It's safe to say Nix will select one of the 2 on draft day. My feeling is that they intend to emulate what Green Bay did with Aaron Rodgers, and Dallas did with Tony Romo. Either prospect will get ample time to groom his game while Fitzpatrick takes the reigns for the next year to a year and a half. If the Bills go QB at 3, he's not likely to be named the Bills full time starter until at least the 2013 season at my best estimation. JMOAgree with everything except the time line. I think we could easily the team go .500 or less and mid-season put in the rookie to get experience.