PDA

View Full Version : Gabbert Question

patmoran2006
03-24-2011, 08:00 AM
This is not a statement but rather a question. I been closely following Bills fans views on some of the top prospects in the draft, and I've noticed a lot of "please no" when it comes to possibly drafting Blaine Gabbert.

I can see the hesitation on Cam Newton for sure with all his character concerns among other flaws..

But with Gabbert, after seeing his Pro Day, listening to Mayock and others, it sounds like a lot of guys are pretty sold on the guy.

Without asking who you would PREFER to end up in Buffalo, what do you like or dislike about Gabbert being a possible selection?

Mr. Miyagi
03-24-2011, 08:08 AM
I don't know about his football abilities but his name is Blaine.

alohabillsfan
03-24-2011, 08:21 AM
This is not a statement but rather a question. I been closely following Bills fans views on some of the top prospects in the draft, and I've noticed a lot of "please no" when it comes to possibly drafting Blaine Gabbert.

I can see the hesitation on Cam Newton for sure with all his character concerns among other flaws..

But with Gabbert, after seeing his Pro Day, listening to Mayock and others, it sounds like a lot of guys are pretty sold on the guy.

Without asking who you would PREFER to end up in Buffalo, what do you like or dislike about Gabbert being a possible selection?

Dislike- Pocket awareness/presence (tends to drop eyes and scramble), progressions, production against crappy defenses, spread offense, always in shotgun, accuracy on long throws, seems to dump off alot.

Like- Arm strength, mobility and size. Nice hair... LOL

TacklingDummy
03-24-2011, 09:55 AM
Dislike: The Bills are not desperate for a QB. The defense is by far the worst area on this team. The Bills do not have the luxury of wasting a 1st round pick on a QB right now.

If Fitz stinks it up next year then the Bills can go after Luck or Barkley.

EDS
03-24-2011, 10:09 AM
I am worried about his lack of production at the collegiate level. He strikes me as the type of QB you take outside the top 10 picks in the draft.

TacklingDummy
03-24-2011, 10:18 AM
Below are how Gabbert stacked up against the rest of the nation this year in passing categories.

QB Rating: 64th

Yards/Game: 25th

Yards/Attempt: 78th

Completion %: 32nd

TDs: 57th

INTs: 41st

Yards: 21st

TacklingDummy
03-24-2011, 10:23 AM
In the loss to Texas Tech, against a horrendous defense, Gabbert compiled a stat line of 12-for-30 for just 95 yards.

Yet he is considered a top-five pick? This just doesn’t add up.

Jake Locker is being crucified for his statistics. Why isn’t Blaine receiving similar criticism?

Locker runs a 4.4 forty and played in a pro-style offense, not the spread-offense Gabbert played in. Locker should be receiving much more praise while Gabbert supporters cannot continue to turn a blind-eye to his glaring weaknesses.

Big players make plays when the game is on the line. In the Insight Bowl, Gabbert made one of the worst throws you will ever see from a quarterback, which essentially negated all of the positives he displayed earlier in the game. His lack of hustle after throwing the interception also left a lot to be desired.

TacklingDummy
03-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Type in Blaine Gabbert Bust into browser and read some of the stuff.

madness
03-24-2011, 10:29 AM
The "please no" is in reference to any QB @ #3 in this draft. There's no way I'm going to be happy about getting 1/4 million dollar home when I paid for a million dollar home just because the 1/4 million dollar home fits my needs better.

justasportsfan
03-24-2011, 11:04 AM
he popped up out of no where. Lack of productivity last year although people say its because of lack of decent support arround him.

If the bills do pick a qb at 3 ,I would however take him over Newton.

Ed
03-24-2011, 01:45 PM
I guess I can't say there is anything about Gabbert that I dislike, but to me there just doesn't seem to be anything that special about him. Whenever I watched him play, I thought he did pretty well, but he just doesn't have that wow factor. Where I'm like "Wow! That guy is really good. I wish he was on our team." If we're talking about using a top 3 pick on a guy, I just want to be more impressed or excited about that player.

mikemac2001
03-24-2011, 01:54 PM
Type in Blaine Gabbert Bust into browser and read some of the stuff.

i don't want the guy

id rather have newton because of the ceiling but i dont want newton either

i agree GO D let fitz do his thing and if we need a QB get luck or bark next year....

but atleast chan and co are looking at every option

justasportsfan
03-24-2011, 02:17 PM
i agree GO D let fitz do his thing and if we need a QB get luck or bark next year....

this would be my favorite scenario

ferg2butler
03-24-2011, 03:18 PM
Habitually leaves the pocket early and runs backwards, not a good plan in NFL :)

Choked hard in his biggest game. I was liking him til I saw that (Insight bowl INT), hard to get over

Raptor
03-24-2011, 03:29 PM
I dont like either

But on Gabbert, I dont like him because he reminds me to much of R.Johnson. On paper he's got it all. Size, intelligence, arm, ect...

Watch him on the field though and it never seems to all come together. Someone(someones opinion I respect a lot on all things draft) on another site points out that he becomes a completely different QB when a defender gets within 3 feet of him and the media for some reason just ignores this. I have to say its dead on accurate. He can not sense/feel any pressure

X-Era
03-24-2011, 05:24 PM

Without asking who you would PREFER to end up in Buffalo, what do you like or dislike about Gabbert being a possible selection?Everyone knows where I stand... If you don't, check the avatar, it's been there for months.

better days
03-24-2011, 06:36 PM
Everyone knows where I stand... If you don't, check the avatar, it's been there for months.

Well, you have been a staunch Newton supporter as well, so I gues you have the QB bases covered.

X-Era
03-24-2011, 06:48 PM
Well, you have been a staunch Newton supporter as well, so I guess you have the QB bases covered.
I have said the same thing on Newton, my questions on him are about his character and that I trust in Gailey and Nix to make the call on that. That's hardly staunch support for the guy. If anything it's staunch support against any of us who have never met him deciding the final answer on his character based on what they read on the internet.

If by "bases covered" you're implying that I'm willing to look at ranking the QB's as shades of gray rather than black and white, you're right... I cover my bases by looking at all the options.

tampabay25690
03-24-2011, 06:58 PM
WELLLL..

What has Blaine done in College first of all....He ran 1 of the easiest offenses in College ball the Texas Tech spread with 5 WR sets all game.

I do like his release, size, mobility, and smarts.
I like him but I would rather have CAM all day over him.

I will say if the Bills draft him Im fine with it. I truely believe this franchise will make the right decision at #3.......

better days
03-24-2011, 07:05 PM
I have said the same thing on Newton, my questions on him are about his character and that I trust in Gailey and Nix to make the call on that. That's hardly staunch support for the guy. If anything it's staunch support against any of us who have never met him deciding the final answer on his character based on what they read on the internet.

If by "bases covered" you're implying that I'm willing to look at ranking the QB's as shades of gray rather than black and white, you're right... I cover my bases by looking at all the options.

Well, I read about the computer incident over a period of time as it happend in the newspaper. First came the arrest, then the charges were brought against him & finally he was allowed to enter the pretrial diversion program which he successfully completed.

The cheating was mostly hearsay, but widely talked about & known, kind of like the wonderlic scores.

Whatever the Bills decide to do I'm on board. I was just kidding you, you took me far too seriously.

DraftBoy
03-24-2011, 07:17 PM
I dont like either

But on Gabbert, I dont like him because he reminds me to much of R.Johnson. On paper he's got it all. Size, intelligence, arm, ect...

Watch him on the field though and it never seems to all come together. Someone(someones opinion I respect a lot on all things draft) on another site points out that he becomes a completely different QB when a defender gets within 3 feet of him and the media for some reason just ignores this. I have to say its dead on accurate. He can not sense/feel any pressure

Nailed it.

Though Ill add he doesnt have enough faith in his teammates (read: pushes and tries to hard thus forcing mistakes) and he doesnt forget bad throws.

alohabillsfan
03-25-2011, 07:25 AM
Where are all the Gabbert jock lovers? I thought they would atleast counter the arguments in this thread, I guess they are unarmed...

Philagape
03-25-2011, 08:18 AM
I don't know about his football abilities but his name is Blaine.

"That's not a name, that's a major appliance!"

http://i4.ytimg.com/vi/z727wXHEJMg/0.jpg

jamze132
03-25-2011, 09:53 AM
I don't like the fact that no one really had him tabbed as a possible 1st RD pick until a couple of months ago. This is by default since there aren't any surefire QBs in this draft.