PDA

View Full Version : Bills Believe Cam Newton Is Their Franchise QB

DraftBoy
03-24-2011, 11:35 AM
http://wgr550.com/pages/9034669.php?pid=42194

The quickly spreading thought that the Buffalo Bills will take a quarterback with the third overall pick just had even more fuel added to it.

Tony Softli, who once was the Vice President of Player Personnel of the St. Louis Rams, is now a personality for the powerhouse sports station in St. Louis -- ESPN 101. Softli has also interviewed to be the General Manager of the San Francisco 49ers, so to say he's connected with league executives would be a bit of an understatement.

With that, Softli also is a contributing writer to 101ESPN.com, and outlined what he thinks the Rams may be looking at when they're on the clock with the 14th pick. It's a draft preview article of sorts, but there's also an interesting nugget of information hidden in there about the Buffalo Bills.

Here's an excerpt from Softli's column:

"But, don’t be surprised if quarterback-friendly head coach Chan Gailey makes a hard play for Newton if he is still on the board. Sources say they feel he is the franchise quarterback for the Bills' organization and would have time to develop because of Fitzpatrick’s presence on the roster."

Somebody start the bridge watch for jumpers!

THATHURMANATOR
03-24-2011, 11:36 AM
I love it. Team finally making the move necessary to win the Superbowl.

psubills62
03-24-2011, 11:38 AM
If that's true, I'm hoping more and more that the Panthers take him.

This draft is absolutely nuts. Obviously things are rarely set in stone before the draft (except when the #1 pick signs a contract prior), but this year seems even more of an unknown than previous years. Nobody really knows what any of the top 5 picks will actually do. There's about 5-10 prospects on the radar for each of those teams.

Crazy...and it's making me more and more tense as time goes on.

nolimit
03-24-2011, 11:39 AM
have been on board with this idea for awhile now and will be somewhat dissapointed if qb is not the choice...its a toss up for for gabbert or newton as far as I am concerned

THATHURMANATOR
03-24-2011, 11:40 AM
No you don't.

better days
03-24-2011, 11:41 AM
Smart move by the Bills. Sucker some team to trade up for Newton because they are afraid the Bills are going to draft him.

psubills62
03-24-2011, 11:42 AM
No you don't.
Actually, I do.

whkfc
03-24-2011, 11:43 AM
No suckering. Bills want him.

Novacane
03-24-2011, 11:45 AM

Or making the move that will keep them from even contending for the playoffs for at least another 5 years. Could go either way.

justasportsfan
03-24-2011, 11:47 AM

This draft is absolutely nuts. Obviously things are rarely set in stone before the draft (except when the #1 pick signs a contract prior), but this year seems even more of an unknown than previous years. Nobody really knows what any of the top 5 picks will actually do. There's about 5-10 prospects on the radar for each of those teams.

Crazy...and it's making me more and more tense as time goes on.

I'm not high on Cam but I do however trust Chan and Nix

DraftBoy
03-24-2011, 11:48 AM

I trust Nix....

justasportsfan
03-24-2011, 11:50 AM
I trust Nix....
Okay, Chan gets the benefit of the doubt.

Novacane
03-24-2011, 11:51 AM
What have they done to deserve to be trusted?

trapezeus
03-24-2011, 11:51 AM
i'm excited for this because i really felt like the bills were one good wildcat package away from being a contender.

Novacane
03-24-2011, 11:52 AM

I'll go with that. I give both Chan and Nix the benefit of the doubt but they have not earned anyones trust...............yet.

DraftBoy
03-24-2011, 11:52 AM

No he doesnt, he gets my full doubt and disbelief in his ability.

Two words: Georgia Tech

psubills62
03-24-2011, 11:53 AM
I trust Nix....
Really? I thought you didn't like the Troup pick, among others, last year.

Dr. Lecter
I trust Nix....

Based on what exactly?

JCBills

Ignoring the league's worst run D to get a shiny utility player wins championships?

psubills62
03-24-2011, 11:54 AM
I'm not high on Cam but I do however trust Chan and Nix I want to...but they do some bizarre things that keep me from being too optimistic.

justasportsfan
03-24-2011, 11:55 AM

I was talking about my opinion. Not yours.

Bill Cody
03-24-2011, 11:56 AM
i'm excited for this because i really felt like the bills were one good wildcat package away from being a contender.

:lolcry:

better days
03-24-2011, 11:56 AM

Well, Chan does not have to recruit against Georga anymore.

DraftBoy
03-24-2011, 11:57 AM
Well, Chan does not have to recruit against Georga anymore.

Georgia wasnt his issue, look at the talent he brought into that school and then pissed away with horrible game decisions, gameplans and piss poor management.

kingJofNYC
03-24-2011, 11:59 AM
Reggie Ball didn't do him in favors.

better days
03-24-2011, 12:00 PM
I trust Nix....

Well, Newton is a one year wonder with character issues. Just the type of player Nix said he would never draft. If he drafts Newton, I will never trust him again.

Mr. Miyagi
03-24-2011, 12:02 PM
I don't like Newton. But the crappy thing is, if we don't take him the media will jump all over us saying how dumb we are for passing on him, even if he turns out to be a bust later.

better days
03-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Georgia wasnt his issue, look at the talent he brought into that school and then pissed away with horrible game decisions, gameplans and piss poor management.

Seriously? Georgia was not an issue in recruiting? There goes all of your credibility.

Mr. Miyagi
03-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Smart move by the Bills. Sucker some team to trade up for Newton because they are afraid the Bills are going to draft him.
That wouldn't benefit us one bit. Teams would trade with Denver instead to get ahead of us.

better days
03-24-2011, 12:05 PM
I don't like Newton. But the crappy thing is, if we don't take him the media will jump all over us saying how dumb we are for passing on him, even if he turns out to be a bust later.

Yeah, like they jumped all over Ralph for voting against the last CBA. I say screw em.

BertSquirtgum

Somebody start the bridge watch for jumpers!

i am already thinking of ways to kill myself. **** my mother ****ing life.

DraftBoy
Reggie Ball didn't do him in favors.

Glad you brought that up, who do you think brought Reggie Ball in and who kept him in for years?

better days
03-24-2011, 12:06 PM
That wouldn't benefit us one bit. Teams would trade with Denver instead to get ahead of us.

Which could leave Dareus there for the Bills to draft.

Novacane
03-24-2011, 12:06 PM

Who cares?

better days
03-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Glad you brought that up, who do you think brought Reggie Ball in and who kept him in for years?

Well, they don't cut guys in the NCAA like the NFL.

DraftBoy
03-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Well, Newton is a one year wonder with character issues. Just the type of player Nix said he would never draft. If he drafts Newton, I will never trust him again.

He is neither a one year wonder, nor does he have any character issues.

His name has been slandered all over the media. Here are the facts;

Falsehood: He stole a laptop
Truth: He had his laptop ruined after a sprinkler inadvertently went off. He told a teammate about this and the teammate said he knew a guy who was selling one. Newton bought it not knowing the laptop was hot. Hence why all charges were dropped.

Falsehood: He was dismissed at Florida
Truth: Urban Meyer wanted him to stay but he felt like he needed a fresh start hence why he transfered to Blinn JC.

Falsehood: He cheated on tests
Truth: This report by Thayer Evans has never been proven or confirmed by anyone. Evans simply stating this is a violation of federal law.

Those character concerns arent really character concerns when you figure out what is truth and what is a lie.

Mr. Miyagi
03-24-2011, 12:10 PM
Which could leave Dareus there for the Bills to draft.
That's true. Good thinking.

DraftBoy
03-24-2011, 12:10 PM
Well, they don't cut guys in the NCAA like the NFL.

Not exactly like they do, but they do release players from scholarships and have ways of forcing them out, and they also do this thing called recruiting. Want me to tell you how hard Gailey recruited QB's while Ball was still on campus?

DraftBoy
03-24-2011, 12:11 PM
i am already thinking of ways to kill myself. **** my mother ****ing life.

FMML

When having a bad day just look at your avatar. That's what the rest of us do.

Ingtar33
03-24-2011, 12:12 PM
why?

i don't believe the story but if it's true we deserve what we get.

justasportsfan
03-24-2011, 12:18 PM
why?

i don't believe the story but if it's true we deserve what we get.

Sorry, I don't get the question. Are you asking me why am I not high on Cam or why do I trust Chan and Nix?

Dr. Lecter
03-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Sorry, I don't get the question. Are you asking me why am I not high on Cam or why do I trust Chan and Nix?
Why do you trust Dumb and Dumber?

Ingtar33
03-24-2011, 12:23 PM

why do you trust chan and nix?

HAMMER
03-24-2011, 12:24 PM
Harbaugh calls Newton "plutonium grade raw material, as good as anybody to come out in ten years."
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/03/22/owners-meetings/index.html

The King
03-24-2011, 12:25 PM
This just prolongs the development of this team further... another top 10 pick who cant contribute right away. Awesome.

justasportsfan
03-24-2011, 12:26 PM
Why do you trust Dumb and Dumber?

Chan gets the benefit of the doubt because of what he was able to do with so little last year. Inspite of our record, IMO he did a better job in his first year than Dick did in his 4th. Nix, because or his past record when it comes to drafting and what I hear about him.

better days
03-24-2011, 12:26 PM

Truth: He had his laptop ruined after a sprinkler inadvertently went off. He told a teammate about this and the teammate said he knew a guy who was selling one. Newton bought it not knowing the laptop was hot. Hence why all charges were dropped.

Truth: Urban Meyer wanted him to stay but he felt like he needed a fresh start hence why he transfered to Blinn JC.

Truth: This report by Thayer Evans has never been proven or confirmed by anyone. Evans simply stating this is a violation of federal law.

Those character concerns arent really character concerns when you figure out what is truth and what is a lie.

What you have said in that post are all FALSEHOODS.

Here is the TRUTH.

Fact: Newton is a one year wonder & to count Blinn for anything is just another nail in the coffin of your credibility.

Fact: Newton knew the computer was stolen & threw it out the window when police came to question him about it. He was charged with possesion of stolen property & obstruction of justice. Those charges were only dropped after he completed a pretrial diversion program which is an admission of guilt.

Fact: It was well known by all Florida fans before Newton even transfered to Blinn that he was caught cheating three times as well as the stolen computer incident.

Fact: Newton was allowed to withdraw from Florida rather than be expelled thanks to the goodwill of the University of Florida.

Fact: Newton has major character concerns.

EDS
03-24-2011, 12:29 PM

Why do you trust Nix and Chan? I sure don't.

DesertFox24
03-24-2011, 12:31 PM

He did take them to a bowl game every year, and recruited some very good players that are in the league now.

Chan is a pro coach like Saban is a college coach. Chan like watching tape and designing plays and Saban is a hell of a recruiter.

That being said I am so afraid they take Cam. All signs point to it because they dont have to play him much this year and maybe even next year. Potential rookie wage scale.

The one thing I will say is Pat Moran just posted an article about Chan and Cam meeting one on one. I know Chan wants a worker that can assimilate knowledge so hopefully if we do draft Cam he gets the Chan seal of approval.

We have seen in recent years what a franchise qb can do for a team like Atlanta, detroit, and rams. Atlanta is legit and the Rams and Lions are trending to becoming good.

ddaryl
03-24-2011, 12:32 PM
If the Bills draft Newton Then I will be a Newton fan... that's the way it works

EDS
Chan gets the benefit of the doubt because of what he was able to do with so little last year. Inspite of our record, IMO he did a better job in his first year than Dick did in his 4th. Nix, because or his past record when it comes to drafting and what I hear about him.

Buddy Nix has never called the shots on draft day before. The way he was hired - and the fact that he has never been a GM prior to hitting retirement age - are huge red flags that his actions to date have done nothing to cure.

DesertFox24
He also had no QB.

Look I really care less about GTech and what he did there. I care about what he does for us, and I liked what he did offensively. We need to run the ball a lot better and we need to get evans more involved. Hopefully Spiller and Evans with Johnson, Nelson, Nelson, Parrish, and Easley give us the skill position guys, and Bell Wood, and Levitre give us 3 solid OL. We just need a RT and another interior guy (Urbik crossing fingers).

Philagape
03-24-2011, 12:52 PM
If the Bills draft Newton Then I will be a Newton fan... that's the way it works
Are you a Maybin fan?

ddaryl
03-24-2011, 12:56 PM
Are you a Maybin fan?

Yes. he plays on the Bills and I route for him to do well...

that's the way it works....

am I happy with his performance.. no... but he is still a Bill and I still hope the light comes on.

and I never wanted us to draft Maybin to begin with

justasportsfan
03-24-2011, 01:05 PM
Buddy Nix has never called the shots on draft day before. The way he was hired - and the fact that he has never been a GM prior to hitting retirement age - are huge red flags that his actions to date have done nothing to cure.
from what I've read Nix has been the main reason for the success of the chargers scouting dept. also said to be a good talent evaluator.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-24-2011, 01:15 PM
I will list the following items I believe in the press and rumors prior to the draft:

That is all.

Ed
03-24-2011, 01:31 PM
I lived in Atlanta for a year during the Reggie Ball era. He was pretty bad, but I met a girl that had video of herself eating out Reggie Ball's girlfriend at a party. Good stuff.

DraftBoy
03-24-2011, 02:05 PM
What you have said in that post are all FALSEHOODS.

Here is the TRUTH.

Fact: Newton is a one year wonder & to count Blinn for anything is just another nail in the coffin of your credibility.

Fact: Newton knew the computer was stolen & threw it out the window when police came to question him about it. He was charged with possesion of stolen property & obstruction of justice. Those charges were only dropped after he completed a pretrial diversion program which is an admission of guilt.

Fact: It was well known by all Florida fans before Newton even transfered to Blinn that he was caught cheating three times as well as the stolen computer incident.

Fact: Newton was allowed to withdraw from Florida rather than be expelled thanks to the goodwill of the University of Florida.

Fact: Newton has major character concerns.

Prove anything you claim as fact. I have link to corroborate my stories.

You're buying into things as facts that are not the case. I did a very indepth piece on this about 8-9 months back before Cam was even known by most college football fans. The things people are reporting about Newton's perceived characters issues off of grades or stolen laptop are false.

Extremebillsfan247
03-24-2011, 02:12 PM
So.... who wants dibs on bets of who will be the first to convert their username to SaviorNewton? lmao, relax, I'm joking.

tampabay25690
03-24-2011, 02:13 PM
have been on board with this idea for awhile now and will be somewhat dissapointed if qb is not the choice...its a toss up for for gabbert or newton as far as I am concerned

IMO I don't think its a toss up...
Newton is absolutely the better prospect IMO.....
I think CHAN has dreams of what he could do with a athlete at QB like Newton....
Hey Im for it......With his BOLD personality I think CAM could be a star in Buffalo with the fans.......

better days
03-24-2011, 02:29 PM
Prove anything you claim as fact. I have link to corroborate my stories.

You're buying into things as facts that are not the case. I did a very indepth piece on this about 8-9 months back before Cam was even known by most college football fans. The things people are reporting about Newton's perceived characters issues off of grades or stolen laptop are false.

Well as I said being a Gator fan, I knew all about Newton before he even transfered to Blinn.

Anyone that wants the truth can bling or google about it. There are a number of stories about the computer case, the stolen goods & obstruction charges & the pretrial diversion program he was allowed to enter which he completed successfuly. It was in all the papers down here in Florida at the time.

The pretrial diversion program is a tool used by the court to allow first time offenders a chance to avoid a record, but it is an admission of guilt to enter it.

The cheating while not on record, was widely known about by Florida fans before Newton withdrew from school at Florida. Gainsville is a SMALL town, the type of town that when something happens everyone knows about it.

I think you are the person buying into things that are not fact myself. If the facts are as you say, there should be many links, not one.

As I said there are a number of stories that were written by newspapers that are easily found on the internet about the arrest, the charges against him & the diversion program.

Edit: I hope you know DraftBoy that I respect your knowledge of College players in general & have asked your opinion about some of them in the past. As a Gator fan however I am very familiar with Newtons problems at Florida & if you talk to any real Gator fan, I'm sure they will back up everything I said.

FlyingDutchman
03-24-2011, 02:34 PM
see you guys on the other side....its been fun

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/thecarlinco/thecarlinco0906/thecarlinco090600052/5022438.jpg

NOT THE DUDE...
03-24-2011, 03:07 PM

12 speeding tickets in 1 year, oh wait.....

THATHURMANATOR
03-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Or making the move that will keep them from even contending for the playoffs for at least another 5 years. Could go either way.
Sure but I would rather not be a pussy and be afraid. If they like him DO IT.

THATHURMANATOR
03-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Ignoring the league's worst run D to get a shiny utility player wins championships?
Yeah QBs are usually "utility" players..... :shakeno:

Buffalo Thriller
03-24-2011, 03:29 PM
I have been on the Newton band-wagon since day 1.

THATHURMANATOR
03-24-2011, 03:32 PM
I have been on the Newton band-wagon since day 1.
:hi5: to not being afraid.!!!!

stuckincincy
03-24-2011, 03:44 PM
12 speeding tickets in 1 year, oh wait.....

Makes sense...he likes to leave the pocket...

HAMMER
03-24-2011, 04:09 PM

The guy is a winner, an excellent teammate by all accounts, and works hard. His physical gifts are second to none, his potential is through the roof. He fits Gaileys system and we have the luxury of giving him a year on the bench behind one of the smartest people to ever play in the NFL to absorb that system. Every single expert states if you believe there is a franchise QB available when you pick you have to take them. Gailey pretty much said both Gabbert and Newton fit that description. Whichever one is available at our pick will be the choice.

It makes a ton of sense, it will be funny to see Miyagi and all the other Newton bashers jumping on the wagon once the kid starts lighting it up. Can't wait to hear their excuses and backpedaling.

BertSquirtgum
03-24-2011, 04:12 PM
if the bills draft him and he does great, well that's awesome. i still don't want the bills to draft him. you're a moron if you think anyone won't be happy that they were wrong about him.

tampabay25690
03-24-2011, 04:23 PM
:hi5: to not being afraid.!!!!

Im with both of you guys....
He was only the Best player in College football last year??????????
If Cam is who we draft I will order his jersey today.........

tampabay25690
03-24-2011, 04:25 PM
The guy is a winner, an excellent teammate by all accounts, and works hard. His physical gifts are second to none, his potential is through the roof. He fits Gaileys system and we have the luxury of giving him a year on the bench behind one of the smartest people to ever play in the NFL to absorb that system. Every single expert states if you believe there is a franchise QB available when you pick you have to take them. Gailey pretty much said both Gabbert and Newton fit that description. Whichever one is available at our pick will be the choice.

It makes a ton of sense, it will be funny to see Miyagi and all the other Newton bashers jumping on the wagon once the kid starts lighting it up. Can't wait to hear their excuses and backpedaling.

Anyone that Bashes the way Cam Newton plays has never watched College ball or even know what a good player is.........

Im so sick and tired of the comparisons to Vince Young or Jamarcus Russell....
Why not compare him to a more athletic McNabb or Roethlisberger.....
Plain and simple Cam newton may be the next QB for the Buffalo Bills like it or not...

THATHURMANATOR
03-24-2011, 04:37 PM

Amen brother!
:bf1:

YardRat
03-24-2011, 04:51 PM
Just another bust to add to the list if it happens. I don't believe for a second that it will, however, and will continue to do so until the shoe actually falls.

They're going defense with #3, I don't care what somebody's "sources" say.

better days
03-24-2011, 04:55 PM
Anyone that Bashes the way Cam Newton plays has never watched College ball or even know what a good player is.........

Im so sick and tired of the comparisons to Vince Young or Jamarcus Russell....
Why not compare him to a more athletic McNabb or Roethlisberger.....
Plain and simple Cam newton may be the next QB for the Buffalo Bills like it or not...

Well, why not compare him to Tebow? That is a much more accurate comparison IMO. Tebow is the only big athletic QB in the NFL that has the kind of mobility Newton has aside from Young.

Tebow not only had a better combine & proday passing than Newton did but he set a number of NCAA records as well.

HAMMER
03-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Just another bust to add to the list if it happens. I don't believe for a second that it will, however, and will continue to do so until the shoe actually falls.

Care to wager 20k zonebux? QB I win, Defense you win. This only holds if Gabbert or Newton are on the board when we pick. If both are gone bet is voided.

Ed
03-24-2011, 05:00 PM

Well it's either going to be a qb or defense so you and everyone else has a 50/50 chance of being right.

YardRat
03-24-2011, 05:01 PM
Care to wager 20k zonebux? QB I win, Defense you win. This only holds if Gabbert or Newton are on the board when we pick. If both are gone bet is voided.

You're on.

X-Era
03-24-2011, 05:25 PM

Somebody start the bridge watch for jumpers!:lol:

PTI
03-24-2011, 05:49 PM
2nd Troup DT
3rd Carrington DE
6th Moats ILB
6th Batten OLB

You have to really hope at least they didn't bust on the first two and that we can get some help after the first round when the Bills take a QB. If you have any faith in the guys in charge it should be just fine if they take a QB because you should hope they knew what they were doing with Troup and Carrington. If you think those guys stink, why do you want them to pick more stinky defensive players? Take the QB!!!!!

X-Era
03-24-2011, 06:19 PM
2nd Troup DT
3rd Carrington DE
6th Moats ILB
6th Batten OLB

You have to really hope at least they didn't bust on the first two and that we can get some help after the first round when the Bills take a QB. If you have any faith in the guys in charge it should be just fine if they take a QB because you should hope they knew what they were doing with Troup and Carrington. If you think those guys stink, why do you want them to pick more stinky defensive players? Take the QB!!!!!A point that is often missed.

better days
03-24-2011, 06:26 PM
A point that is often missed.

Well, like last year they may feel that no QB is worth that pick.

X-Era
03-24-2011, 06:44 PM
Well, like last year they may feel that no QB is worth that pick.And if they decide that, I'm OK with it.

If they decide someone is worthy, will you be OK with that?

better days
03-24-2011, 06:48 PM
And if they decide that, I'm OK with it.

If they decide someone is worthy, will you be OK with that?

Yeah, I have said before, I am on board whatever they do. But I won't trust a thing Nix says again if they pick Newton because he is a one year wonder with character concerns, just the type of player Nix said he would never draft in the 1st rnd.

tampabay25690
03-24-2011, 07:03 PM
Yeah, I have said before, I am on board whatever they do. But I won't trust a thing Nix says again if they pick Newton because he is a one year wonder with character concerns, just the type of player Nix said he would never draft in the 1st rnd.

Nix is a Auburn guy so he has all the in's and out's of what is going on with Cam Newton.....
Hey this may be the 1 chance we have to landing that FRANCHISE guy.......
We would get the best College player from last year.......

If it happens Im all for CAM NEWTON in Buffalo.....

better days
03-24-2011, 07:13 PM
Nix is a Auburn guy so he has all the in's and out's of what is going on with Cam Newton.....
Hey this may be the 1 chance we have to landing that FRANCHISE guy.......
We would get the best College player from last year.......

If it happens Im all for CAM NEWTON in Buffalo.....

If it happens, I will be a Cam fan as well & you make a good argument for him.

Buffalo Thriller
03-24-2011, 07:42 PM
If it happens, I will be a Cam fan as well & you make a good argument for him.

He has all the attributes to be "our guy".

OpIv37
03-24-2011, 08:58 PM

Admittedly, I'm late getting into this thread and I didn't read the whole thing, so some of this may have been said already, but you can't possibly believe that nonsense.

Drafting Cam Newton is the exact same drafting bull**** that this team has pulled in the first round for God knows how long.

-Ignoring the lines in favor of skill positions (Spiller, Lynch, McKelvin, Whitner, Parrish, Losman, Evans)
-Drafting someone based on one good season (Maybin)
-Drafting someone based on pure athleticism instead of football talent (Maybin, Spiller, Parrish, arguably McKelvin)
-Drafting someone with questionable character (Lynch)
-Overrating talent (Spiller, Lynch, McKelvin, Whitner, Losman, McCargo....)

I'm probably getting a little too worked up since this article is by no means a guarantee that we will draft Newton, but if we do draft him, to me it shows that this team has once again failed to learn from the past.

kingJofNYC
03-24-2011, 09:29 PM

Was there anyone better on the roster? It's a recruiting failure on his part, pretty sure he tried to nab a better QB, Ponder's often brought up though that was late in his tenure, but he never had success.

Maybe Gailey's problem is that he thinks he can win with a **** QB.

At this point I wouldn't mind Newton just to see fans implode, see OpIv.

BertSquirtgum
03-24-2011, 10:55 PM
you have a big head.

Tatonka
03-24-2011, 11:58 PM

although i am not crazy about newton at this point.. i will say that it is a known fact that this draft is extremely deep in the dline catagory.. there is NO question that there will be some serious talent left on the board for the 2nd/3rd picks.

Night Train
03-25-2011, 04:53 AM
I don't believe anything this time of year.

" Clausen is our selection.."

" Bills eyeing Tebow "

" It will be Frazier " ( Leslie for Coach )

I've read all the " breaking news " here before.

X-Era
03-25-2011, 06:04 AM
I don't believe anything this time of year.

" Clausen is our selection.."

" Bills eyeing Tebow "

" It will be Frazier " ( Leslie for Coach )

I've read all the " breaking news " here before.

"The Bills are eyeing Spiller"

alohabillsfan
03-25-2011, 07:23 AM
Anyone but Gabbert, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Novacane
03-25-2011, 07:25 AM

And what will you say if he busts? It was the talent around him?

OpIv37
03-25-2011, 09:07 AM

Potential is just a fancy word for "hasn't done jack **** yet."

And if the Bills pass on Newton but pick another player who is a star, then no Bills fan should give a **** what Newton does on some other team. The only way Bills fans should care is if the Bills pass on him, he turns out to be good AND the Bills pick another bust. Provided that we get a good player, I'm more than willing to take the risk of not drafting him because it's far less severe than the risk of drafting a headcase with questionable character living on one good year of college football who plays the most notoriously risky position in the NFL.

Bill Cody
03-25-2011, 09:17 AM

And if the Bills pass on Newton but pick another player who is a star, then no Bills fan should give a **** what Newton does on some other team. The only way Bills fans should care is if the Bills pass on him, he turns out to be good AND the Bills pick another bust. Provided that we get a good player, I'm more than willing to take the risk of not drafting him because it's far less severe than the risk of drafting a headcase with questionable character living on one good year of college football who plays the most notoriously risky position in the NFL.

Ok since you're slamming in advance let's get your solution on the record in advance. Assuming Gabbert and Dareus are the first 2 picks who should the Bills take? Dying to hear who the stone cold lock is that we might be missing out on.

baalworship
03-25-2011, 09:19 AM

Go on a Dolphins message board and see if everyone is glad they got a good left tackle but passed on Matt Ryan. If we pass on a franchise QB for a linebacker or corner back this draft will be attacked down the road.

OpIv37
03-25-2011, 09:29 AM
Ok since you're slamming in advance let's get your solution on the record in advance. Assuming Gabbert and Dareus are the first 2 picks who should the Bills take? Dying to hear who the stone cold lock is that we might be missing out on.

Don't know- I haven't paid attention to everyone in the draft. I do know that Newton is a HUGE risk that this team can't afford at the moment.

OpIv37
03-25-2011, 09:31 AM
Go on a Dolphins message board and see if everyone is glad they got a good left tackle but passed on Matt Ryan. If we pass on a franchise QB for a linebacker or corner back this draft will be attacked down the road.

and if we pick Newton and he turns out to be a bust, then this draft will be trashed down the road too. The logic works in both ways.

And Dolphins fans shouldn't be so quick to criticize, because there's no guarantee that Matt Ryan would have been successful behind a Dolphins OL minus that LT.

OpIv37
03-25-2011, 09:33 AM
2nd Troup DT
3rd Carrington DE
6th Moats ILB
6th Batten OLB

You have to really hope at least they didn't bust on the first two and that we can get some help after the first round when the Bills take a QB. If you have any faith in the guys in charge it should be just fine if they take a QB because you should hope they knew what they were doing with Troup and Carrington. If you think those guys stink, why do you want them to pick more stinky defensive players? Take the QB!!!!!

Not impressed with 6th round LB picks. Too late to address a major need.

And if we think those guys suck, that's all the MORE reason to go D. We have a serviceable QB in Fitz, we do not have serviceable defensive linemen, especially if you think Troup and Carrington suck.

And for the record, I thought Carrington was looking decent towards the end of the year. I'm not sold on Troup at all.

PTI
03-25-2011, 09:34 AM
and if we pick Newton and he turns out to be a bust, then this draft will be trashed down the road too. The logic works in both ways.

And Dolphins fans shouldn't be so quick to criticize, because there's no guarantee that Matt Ryan would have been successful behind a Dolphins OL minus that LT.

Falcons draft a LT, Same Baker in round 1 that same year and he is either always hurt or has been less than mediocre, Falcons have below average OL.

If 25% of the guys say Newton will be very good, and I think it is much higher than that, then I really do not believe that is a risk at all when taking a QB.

PTI
03-25-2011, 09:35 AM
Not impressed with 6th round LB picks. Too late to address a major need.

And if we think those guys suck, that's all the MORE reason to go D. We have a serviceable QB in Fitz, we do not have serviceable defensive linemen, especially if you think Troup and Carrington suck.

And for the record, I thought Carrington was looking decent towards the end of the year. I'm not sold on Troup at all.
Disagree, if they fell flat in evaluating defense before, what makes you think they do better this time around, that was my point. I think both Troup and Carrington will be key contributors next year.

justasportsfan
03-25-2011, 09:37 AM
the sky is the limit when it comes to Cams upside but it comes with some questionmarks that are valid. He could be the next Mike Vick (of last year) or he could be a Jamarcus Russel.

OpIv37
03-25-2011, 09:37 AM
Disagree, if they fell flat in evaluating defense before, what makes you think they do better this time around, that was my point. I think both Troup and Carrington will be key contributors next year.

Need we go through the list of the QB's that the Bills fell flat in evaluating? Don't forget that Tom Modrak is still here, and his tenure goes back to the Tom Donahoe days.

ublinkwescore
03-25-2011, 09:38 AM

They had this team in games that they had no business being in against teams that would have destroyed us earlier in the season last season for one.

OpIv37
03-25-2011, 09:38 AM
the sky is the limit when it comes to Cams upside but it comes with some questionmarks that are valid. He could be the next Mike Vick (of last year) or he could be a Jamarcus Russel.

Exactly, and that's why the Bills can't afford to take the additional risk that comes along with this guy. Hell, even if he's good it's going to take him a year or two to learn. I don't think any team in the NFL gets less contribution from their first round draft picks than the Bills.

OpIv37
03-25-2011, 09:39 AM
They had this team in games that they had no business being in against teams that would have destroyed us earlier in the season last season for one.

You think they earn the benefit of the doubt for half a season of almost not losing?

I disagree with that one.

PTI
03-25-2011, 09:41 AM
Exactly, and that's why the Bills can't afford to take the additional risk that comes along with this guy. Hell, even if he's good it's going to take him a year or two to learn. I don't think any team in the NFL gets less contribution from their first round draft picks than the Bills.

Bills got no chance at winning next season, none of their picks last year were key contributors, it doesn't matter if they take a QB in round 1 and he doesn't play. Just my opinion. I'd love to be wrong, can't wait to see the Bills winning more than losing again.

justasportsfan
03-25-2011, 09:43 AM

If the bills weren't setting franchise records for yards lost vs. the run, I would be okay with taking that risk. The run D is a way bigger concern than the qb position right now. If and thats a big IF our running game picks up and does a better job than they did last year, it should even make things easier for Fitz. But our offense isn't going to do anything if the D can't get off the field.

jamze132
03-25-2011, 09:48 AM
I am skeptical of anyone the Bills draft outside of Miller, Darius or Fairely.

Novacane
03-25-2011, 09:52 AM
You think they earn the benefit of the doubt for half a season of almost not losing?

Exactly! We are drafting #3 for a reason Ublink. Close loses don't mean ****!

Bill Cody
03-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Don't know- I haven't paid attention to everyone in the draft. I do know that Newton is a HUGE risk that this team can't afford at the moment.

I could buy this argument if Dareus was there- a major talent at a critical position. But if not I say grind the hell out of the homework on Newton. He's only a risk if you don't have answers to certain important questions. My take is- get the answers, that's what we're paying you to do. I have no problem at all if we do our homework and Newton is not the guy. But if he IS the guy and we took another ****ing cornerback just to be safe? That's the kind of **** we can't afford.

OpIv37
03-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Bills got no chance at winning next season, none of their picks last year were key contributors, it doesn't matter if they take a QB in round 1 and he doesn't play. Just my opinion. I'd love to be wrong, can't wait to see the Bills winning more than losing again.

you do bring up a good point in that we don't have much chance of winning next season. But the longer we go without contributions from first round draft picks, the longer the losing will continue. We need to get contributions ASAP IMO.

PTI
03-25-2011, 10:16 AM
you do bring up a good point in that we don't have much chance of winning next season. But the longer we go without contributions from first round draft picks, the longer the losing will continue. We need to get contributions ASAP IMO.

I won't be unhappy if we go defense (but I would still want a QB in round 2 then). Just as long as they have that guy on the field as a starter from day 1 and he makes an impact (this time). I hope we play our draft picks more this year, not because we have to, but because they are that good.

Bill Cody
03-25-2011, 10:22 AM

Nah. What we need to do is stop taking ****ing busts.

don137
03-25-2011, 10:24 AM
I think it comes down to this, do the Bills feel they have a franchise QB in Fitzpatrick. Judging how they are looking at QBs the answer appears to be no. The next questions are do the Bills feel Newton is a franchise QB and if yes do you pass on drafting a franchise QB because you feel you will be in position next year to draft a franchise QB. Teams rarely get a chance to draft a franchise QB so do you pass on one if he is available. The big problem with many fans, myself included, is do you feel Newton is a franchise QB and to many fans the answer is no or not really sure but can't afford another round one drafting mistake.

Philagape
03-25-2011, 10:34 AM
The Bills have fallen flat at every position in football and possibly other sports, too, so past failures don't really need to be a factor. If one were to say "The Bills shouldn't draft a XX because their last XX was a bust," then they should just stay home on draft day.

OpIv37
03-25-2011, 10:42 AM
The Bills have fallen flat at every position in football and possibly other sports, too, so past failures don't really need to be a factor. If one were to say "The Bills shouldn't draft a XX because their last XX was a bust," then they should just stay home on draft day.

I half agree. The problem is that it's the same guys picking the positions every year. So, if the idiots in charge wouldn't know QB or DB talent if it kicked them in the nuts, maybe they should focus on other positions where they might actually be able to tell a good player from a bad one.

alohabillsfan
03-25-2011, 10:56 AM

Nix, In 2004, three players Nix drafted were selected to the 2005 Pro Bowl. In 2005, six players Nix drafted were selected to the 2006 Pro Bowl. In 2006, eleven players Nix drafted were selected to the 2007 Pro Bowl. In 2007, eight players Nix drafted were selected to the 2008 Pro Bowl and so on. I think that deserves a little trust.

justasportsfan
03-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Nix, In 2004, three players Nix drafted were selected to the 2005 Pro Bowl. In 2005, six players Nix drafted were selected to the 2006 Pro Bowl. In 2006, eleven players Nix drafted were selected to the 2007 Pro Bowl. In 2007, eight players Nix drafted were selected to the 2008 Pro Bowl and so on. I think that deserves a little trust.
or at least the benefit of a doubt.

djjimkelly
03-25-2011, 11:08 AM

couldnt agree more

cgbm
03-25-2011, 11:28 AM
I half agree. The problem is that it's the same guys picking the positions every year. So, if the idiots in charge wouldn't know QB or DB talent if it kicked them in the nuts, maybe they should focus on other positions where they might actually be able to tell a good player from a bad one.

the problem isnt that they cant tell one. its that we havent been in the position to get the skill players that we want. were finally there at 3. and we have to stop drafting late round guys (fitz) and calling them franchize players. and stop putting the entire northwest section of ny's hearts into these losers. were at three and i for one am STOKED. i dont care who we get between bowers, newton, petterson, fairley, miller. as long as we get one of them. if we come out of the top three pick with a crappy player then we need to fire every person in the front office.
and if you think that this may not happen i will refer you back to 04. it can and may happen
but either way if we come out of this draft with one of those guys we will be in better shape than we were last year. and thats all i can ask for

OpIv37
03-25-2011, 11:40 AM
the problem isnt that they cant tell one. its that we havent been in the position to get the skill players that we want. were finally there at 3. and we have to stop drafting late round guys (fitz) and calling them franchize players. and stop putting the entire northwest section of ny's hearts into these losers. were at three and i for one am STOKED. i dont care who we get between bowers, newton, petterson, fairley, miller. as long as we get one of them. if we come out of the top three pick with a crappy player then we need to fire every person in the front office.
and if you think that this may not happen i will refer you back to 04. it can and may happen
but either way if we come out of this draft with one of those guys we will be in better shape than we were last year. and thats all i can ask for

Most people don't consider Fitz a franchise player. He's serviceable, that's it. The problem is that our run D is atrocious. And with the CBA situation there is a good chance that the draft could happen before FA. The draft may be our only shot at upgrading the run D. Taking Newton, Gabbert, or Peterson pisses away an opportunity to fix the team's biggest problem, to say nothing of the risk in Newton himself.

Novacane
03-25-2011, 11:56 AM

To say Nix drafted them is a stretch. He was not the GM. He deserves credit for being part of a staff that made those picks but for all you or I know he could have been lobbying for them to pick someone else. Doubtful that is true in every case so I do give him some credit for those picks. As the top guy he has done nothing to deserve trust. His first draft has looked pretty weak so far. I know it's not fair to judge them after 1 year. That's why I give Nix the benefit of the doubt for now. Trust him though? No way!

X-Era
03-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Most people don't consider Fitz a franchise player. He's serviceable, that's it. The problem is that our run D is atrocious. And with the CBA situation there is a good chance that the draft could happen before FA. The draft may be our only shot at upgrading the run D. Taking Newton, Gabbert, or Peterson pisses away an opportunity to fix the team's biggest problem, to say nothing of the risk in Newton himself.Agreed. And the draft isn't one pick long.

Use the depth at DL, weakness of the ILB class, and depth at pass rushing OLB to our advantage... we can wait past round 1 and still cover those bases.

And we could do all that AND end up with the top QB in this class if we choose.

Gailey and Nix will decide if a QB is worthy of the 3 pick... and if they do, we can still upgrade the defense.

OpIv37
03-25-2011, 12:27 PM
Agreed. And the draft isn't one pick long.

Use the depth at DL, weakness of the ILB class, and depth at pass rushing OLB to our advantage... we can wait past round 1 and still cover those bases.

And we could do all that AND end up with the top QB in this class if we choose.

Gailey and Nix will decide if a QB is worthy of the 3 pick... and if they do, we can still upgrade the defense.

We can?

Just like how Troup, Carrington, Moats and Batten helped our run D last year?

better days
03-25-2011, 12:31 PM
To say Nix drafted them is a stretch. He was not the GM. He deserves credit for being part of a staff that made those picks but for all you or I know he could have been lobbying for them to pick someone else. Doubtful that is true in every case so I do give him some credit for those picks. As the top guy he has done nothing to deserve trust. His first draft has looked pretty weak so far. I know it's not fair to judge them after 1 year. That's why I give Nix the benefit of the doubt for now. Trust him though? No way!

Wel, if someone wants to do the research, The S.D. drafts from when Nix was there can be compared to their drafts since he left. Without doing any research on it, I am guessing the drafts were better while Nix was there.

justasportsfan
03-25-2011, 12:59 PM
He was the head of their scouting dept. therefore that would make him their top talent evaluator ,wouldn't it?

Novacane
03-25-2011, 01:06 PM
He was the head of their scouting dept. therefore that would make him their top talent evaluator ,wouldn't it?

I gave him credit for being part of good drafts. He was not the GM, final decision maker is all I'm saying. I don't have a problem with people that trust him. I'm just a prove it first kind of person. Show me you deserve to be trusted. As I already said. His first draft here has a lot to prove.

Don't Panic
03-25-2011, 03:57 PM

Taken the job. That earns my trust and keeps it until they prove they no longer deserve it. The better question is, what have they done to deserve not to be trusted?

X-Era
03-25-2011, 04:32 PM
We can?

And? So our 1 pick ( using your version of our drafting prowess) will turn this defense into top 5 so that we can win a SB with Fitz?

If your argument is that we can't draft beyond round 1, it won't matter who we take, because we won't be above 4 and 12 anytime soon.

PTI
03-25-2011, 04:51 PM
We can?

Bills were bad on defense, everyone in the world knows that, I know the one guy was hurt, but they missed out on getting these guys experience, they should have played more last year.

THATHURMANATOR
03-25-2011, 06:01 PM
We can?

How bout how they will help our Run D this year though? I see those guys being more involved this year.

djjimkelly
03-25-2011, 08:28 PM
the title of this thread sucks ****

speculation should never be listed as fact

OpIv37
03-26-2011, 11:45 AM
And? So our 1 pick ( using your version of our drafting prowess) will turn this defense into top 5 so that we can win a SB with Fitz?

If your argument is that we can't draft beyond round 1, it won't matter who we take, because we won't be above 4 and 12 anytime soon.
My argument is that we have MAJOR holes to fill where we need IMMEDIATE help, and we won't get that past Round 1. So we better make the right pick because it's coming at the opportunity cost of picking other positions.

And no, no single player will make us a top 5 run D. But the right player could instantly make us a lot better than 32nd. I think too many people on this board are so obsessed with finding a franchise QB that they cannot comprehend the fact that one may not be available.

OpIv37
03-26-2011, 11:47 AM
How bout how they will help our Run D this year though? I see those guys being more involved this year.
There is a good chance that they will, but IMO we shouldnt rely on rookie improvement alone to fix the run D. Every year, I get told that the team will get better from rookie improvement, and every year it fails to materialize.

At some point, the D needs more talent.

Extremebillsfan247
03-26-2011, 03:30 PM

Somebody start the bridge watch for jumpers! Some advice to anyone who might take this seriously. Despite Softli's credibility, He fails to mention, either because it slipped his mind, or he doesn't know, but Nix makes the call on who we draft and not Gailey. So, in light of knowing that fact, if it didn't come from the mouth of Nix, I wouldn't read much into it. JMO

psubills62
03-26-2011, 06:25 PM
My argument is that we have MAJOR holes to fill where we need IMMEDIATE help, and we won't get that past Round 1. So we better make the right pick because it's coming at the opportunity cost of picking other positions.

And no, no single player will make us a top 5 run D. But the right player could instantly make us a lot better than 32nd. I think too many people on this board are so obsessed with finding a franchise QB that they cannot comprehend the fact that one may not be available.
If we're that bad, we should be able to find improvement in the second and third rounds.

At the same time, I agree with you. I just wanted to argue for the sake of argument...ah, well, I'm sure you don't understand that feeling :D

X-Era
03-26-2011, 06:59 PM

And no, no single player will make us a top 5 run D. But the right player could instantly make us a lot better than 32nd. I think too many people on this board are so obsessed with finding a franchise QB that they cannot comprehend the fact that one may not be available.Not here. I only think that one or more could easily be deemed worthy of the 3 pick.

And, I also believe we could land very good prospects at LB and DL outside of round 1.

TheBrownBear
03-26-2011, 07:53 PM
I can't wait til we draft this guy. Three high risk - no reward guys in a row!

Mike
03-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Here is my take:

I think Newton will be bad QB who can run the ball well. I don't see him translating very well to the NFL. Even when I watch his highlights most of them are runs, runs that would not happen in the NFL and his passes leave something to be desired. He floats the ball, there are accuracy and touch concerns and even reading the Defense Concerns. There is no way I would spend a top 10 pick on this guy, I would not even draft him in the First Round.

Now that being said, If the Bills draft him, considering how I have absolutely no control, I will be a Newton Fan. It will be fun watching this guy trying to progress, it will be fun watching him run the ball, it will be fun watching him complete a pass or two here and there. And I would hope that he would prove me wrong.

Mike
03-27-2011, 01:50 PM

Some people's hopes need to be bashed in continuously for a number of years before they realize that the difference between hope and reality. The Good part is that reality always pervades, unfortunately it takes some people a really long time to realize this. Remember all of the Whitner Supporters, or Evens Supporters, or Maybin Supporters, or Dick Jouron Supporters of JP Lossman Supporters, well where are they now?

Turf
03-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Newton at 3 is a huge mistake, as is CB. We can get a QB that drops down, or trade back into the first to get one of their guys. We need DL and LBS.
Personally after watching Newton in the Bowl game he played, he wouldn't survive a second in a Buffalo pocket. He panics, and has bad accuracy.