PDA

View Full Version : Source: Newton To Meet With Gailey

patmoran2006
03-24-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm reporting Cam Newton will be in Buffalo on Monday, but not to workout or meet with the organization. Rather, he's going to meet one on one with Chan Gailey and they are going to go over some immense "chalk talk", I'm told.

trapezeus
03-24-2011, 12:31 PM
i'd love to watch one of those sessions just to see how indepth it is and how difficult it is to be a highly touted draft pick. newton conceivably is going through this with at least 4 other teams who have 4 different philosphies on offense. he's got to be prepared for everything.

EDS
03-24-2011, 12:36 PM
The best part about the Bills potentially drafting Newton is that it puts them in a better position to draft Luck the following season.

BidsJr
03-24-2011, 12:45 PM
The best part about the Bills potentially drafting Newton is that it puts them in a better position to draft Luck the following season.

Not so much. Newton would sit and Fitz would win 5-6 games.

BertSquirtgum
03-24-2011, 01:02 PM
NNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

BillsWin
03-24-2011, 01:09 PM
Good. He'll show Gailey just how much of a tool he is and we'll pick somebody else.

Ingtar33
03-24-2011, 01:13 PM
i really hope this encourages someone (cough AZ cough) to trade up with Denver to take Newton and lets Darius fall to us.

Wishful thinking maybe... but the Cards need a QB desperately, if they want any chance to resign Larry Fitzgerald in a year... or hell... win more then 5 games playing in the worst division in football.

BidsJr
03-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Good. He'll show Gailey just how much of a tool he is and we'll pick somebody else.

Chan won with Kordell Stewert who scored a 12 on his wonderlic. If Newton shows Chan 1/3 of a brain with his athleticism, you may as well fill out the draft card now.

BidsJr
03-24-2011, 01:16 PM
i really hope this encourages someone (cough AZ cough) to trade up with Denver to take Newton and lets Darius fall to us.

Wishful thinking maybe... but the Cards need a QB desperately, if they want any chance to resign Larry Fitzgerald in a year.

THe cost of trading up will make it too risky imo. If it was Andrew Luck falling to #2 someone would risk the picks for a more certain player.

I just don't see someone risking picks to trade up for the homerun or bust Newton.

mikemac2001
03-24-2011, 01:52 PM
Guys

i don't want newton or gabbert

but if we draft one of them i atleast feel the guys did the right thing in evaluating them

i don't mind chan seeing what newton has

plus i trust chan (ala kordell) to get the most out of his QB espically a mobile one

Extremebillsfan247
03-24-2011, 01:59 PM
I'm reporting Cam Newton will be in Buffalo on Monday, but not to workout or meet with the organization. Rather, he's going to meet one on one with Chan Gailey and they are going to go over some immense "chalk talk", I'm told.Watch out now, ESPN has been known to snipe this message board for leads. lol Joking of course, I don't really know that to be factual.

better days
03-24-2011, 02:04 PM
Watch out now, ESPN has been known to snipe this message board for leads. lol Joking of course, I don't really know that to be factual.

It would not surprise me. They are usually a day late & a dollar short reporting what has been talked about previously on this board.

DraftBoy
03-24-2011, 02:05 PM
Ive seen this reported multiple places, no shock really.

ChristopherWalken
03-24-2011, 02:09 PM
Steve Wyche of NFL Network already reported this morning that Newton would be flying into Buffalo to interview with the Bills shortly after he works out with the Dolphins.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81eeafc8/article/auburn-qb-newton-set-for-weekend-workout-with-dolphins?module=HP_headlines

tampabay25690
03-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Sorry to tell u guys this but if Cam Newton is there at #3 I think he is going to be a Buffalo Bill..................Im just sayin...

JCBills
03-24-2011, 02:46 PM
Not so much. Newton would sit and Fitz would win 5-6 games.

Or we could try to fix the D and Fitz would win 8 games or so.

Lexwhat
03-24-2011, 02:47 PM

Wishful thinking maybe... but the Cards need a QB desperately, if they want any chance to resign Larry Fitzgerald in a year... or hell... win more then 5 games playing in the worst division in football.

McNabb?

Ed
03-24-2011, 05:14 PM
Pat, do you know if Newton will meet with the media after his meeting with Gailey?

X-Era
03-24-2011, 05:22 PM
I'm reporting Cam Newton will be in Buffalo on Monday, but not to workout or meet with the organization. Rather, he's going to meet one on one with Chan Gailey and they are going to go over some immense "chalk talk", I'm told.It's all a smoke screen... an expensive, time consuming smokescreen.

Gailey is known for his deceptive ways.

DraftBoy
03-24-2011, 05:45 PM
It's all a smoke screen... an expensive, time consuming smokescreen.

What? Since when?

X-Era
03-24-2011, 05:47 PM
What? Since when?I'm being sarcastic and I think you are as well.

DraftBoy
03-24-2011, 06:13 PM
I'm being sarcastic and I think you are as well.

:up:

better days
03-24-2011, 06:22 PM
What? Since when?

Well, I heard Chan on the Shredd & Ragan show say "As I've gotten older, I've learned to play my cards close to the vest" so probably about 10 years ago.

Commissioner
03-24-2011, 06:45 PM
It's all a smoke screen... an expensive, time consuming smokescreen.

It is... I've already been told Gailey doesn't like Newton, but it's not up to him.

justasportsfan
03-24-2011, 07:54 PM
its a smokescreen. they really want Gabbert

BertSquirtgum
03-24-2011, 08:35 PM
It's either we get a pro-bowl quarterback or we get the next Jamarcus Russel. personally, i hope the Bills don't take that chance.

edit: i want the closet thing to sure bet. marcell dareus or patrick peterson.

BillsWin
03-24-2011, 09:47 PM
Chan won with Kordell Stewert who scored a 12 on his wonderlic. If Newton shows Chan 1/3 of a brain with his athleticism, you may as well fill out the draft card now.

I called him a tool, not dumb. It's his attitude that worries me, not his brain.

Philagape
03-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Total speculation of course ... Chan really wants to want Newton. He loves his skill set, has used it before. But he's conflicted because he sees the huge red flags, mainly with Newton's football IQ (not wonderlic) and on-field processing ability. So he's trying to give him every chance to give some sign that he won't be a dunce in the NFL. Trying really hard to hold out hope. If he has to try this hard, it likely ain't there.

djjimkelly
03-24-2011, 11:01 PM

exactly what im thinking i think hes as sharp as a tool box

djjimkelly
03-24-2011, 11:50 PM
newton is the only top 10 prospect in this draft i dont want.

hes a 90% bust guy in my opinion

Ingtar33
03-25-2011, 03:50 AM
McNabb?

as long as there is no collective bargaining agreement you're not allowed to trade players.

The cards can't base their draft around a trade they might not be able to make

X-Era
03-25-2011, 05:56 AM
Total speculation of course ... Chan really wants to want Newton. He loves his skill set, has used it before. But he's conflicted because he sees the huge red flags, mainly with Newton's football IQ (not wonderlic) and on-field processing ability. So he's trying to give him every chance to give some sign that he won't be a dunce in the NFL. Trying really hard to hold out hope. If he has to try this hard, it likely ain't there.<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HBQ9dm7zaQU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

WeAreArthurMoates
03-25-2011, 09:34 AM
Guys

i don't want newton or gabbert

but if we draft one of them i atleast feel the guys did the right thing in evaluating them

i don't mind chan seeing what newton has

plus i trust chan (ala kordell) to get the most out of his QB espically a mobile one

Could of not said it any better, I want Miller or Dareus but if we take a qb I will feel real good about it.

Bill Cody
03-25-2011, 09:53 AM
Total speculation of course ... Chan really wants to want Newton. He loves his skill set, has used it before. But he's conflicted because he sees the huge red flags, mainly with Newton's football IQ (not wonderlic) and on-field processing ability. So he's trying to give him every chance to give some sign that he won't be a dunce in the NFL. Trying really hard to hold out hope. If he has to try this hard, it likely ain't there.

You're speculating on this because Gailey is doing his homework on a potential draft pick? Come on. I LOVE this visit. It's really a big deal and people should try their best to understand the ramifications of it. Let me lay them out as I see them.

1) Cam Newton's tangible assets- namely size, speed, quickness, arm strength, playmaking ability are off the charts good. Every GM in the league knows this. Everyone on this board that has literally a single clue about football and has seen Cam Newton play more than one game knows this. It simply is not debatable.

2) The fact that he has limited experience and has things to work on in his game are not in and of themselves issues for a team that won't need him to start right away which we would not. Perfecting his drops, his footwork, his release are all coachable things and Gailey is experienced in this area.

3) Newton also possesses two crucial intangible assets- leadership and confidence. Auburn has been an also ran in the SEC for a number of years. They would have been an also ran again last year. Cam Newton carried that team on his back. The Tigers believed in him. Don't underestimate that quality for a QB. Think about Losman and Edwards for a second- was anyone runing through walls for them? Don't think so.

4) The key issue that the red flags about his cheating incidents, the stolen laptop, his dad pimping him out brought up was two fold: does he have the character and work ethic to do the major amount of work he's going to need to do to be an elite player at the next level? And does he have the brains to make the quick reads and decisions an NFL QB needs to make? Step 1 was the wonderlic. He passed that ok. 21 is an acceptable score. Love to have a # in the 30"s but it's ok. The rest is all about doing your homework. I mean flat out investigating the man. Check out the incidents at FL. Talk to his coaches, teammates, talk to everyone. And then interview the hell out of Newton himself. If there are doubts, you pass on him. But if not, YOU TAKE HIM AND CELEBRATE IF HE'S THERE!

5) The folks that don't agree with #4 have to think this through on one more level. If the Bills have really done their homework and taken Newton and you're still not on board, you have to give up here and now. Because that means we're truly screwed. Nix and Gailey are then idiots. They will both fail and the team will continue to wallow in the mire for many more years. So in the interest of enjoying the team I urge all the Newton haters to get a grip. THE BILLS ARE DOING THEIR HOMEWORK. IF NEWTON IS THE GUY, SUPPORT THE PICK. IN FACT, CELEBRATE IT. And if they pass on him, celebrate that for the same reason. End of rant.

Bangarang
03-25-2011, 10:10 AM
If we do draft Newton, it's because he overly impressed Chan on the white board during their meeting.

Bill Cody
03-25-2011, 10:15 AM
If we do draft Newton, it's because he overly impressed Chan on the white board during their meeting.

ding ding ding

And that dear Bills fans is how it should be. I used to be a sales manager. Part of my job was interviewing potential new hires. Now salesman don't need to be nuclear scientists but they do need to be smart enough to grasp concepts and be quick on their feet mentally. I'm telling you in 45 minutes I damn sure could tell if I had a live one or a bull****ter. And I didn't have a huge budget to do investigating of candidates. We're not trying to split the atom here. Nix/Gailey should be able to figure out if Newton has the goods. Really.

Novacane
03-25-2011, 12:04 PM
Any news articles about what Nix thinks of Newton? Maybe Gailey is sold and he is now trying to convince Nix?

THATHURMANATOR
03-25-2011, 12:30 PM

Why is Newton good enough for AZ to keep Fitzgerald but not good for us?

Ingtar33
03-25-2011, 01:13 PM
Why is Newton good enough for AZ to keep Fitzgerald but not good for us?

he's not, but AZ is desperate; and NFL teams do stupid things because of bad scouting and desperation all the time.

THATHURMANATOR
03-25-2011, 01:21 PM
I do respect your opinion Ing, always have, but I think I have seen enough from Newton or Gabbert to think getting one of them is the way to go.

I would surely be happy with Darues too.

Not a huge fan of Miller due to his small stature. What are your thoughts on him?

Ingtar33
03-25-2011, 01:57 PM
I do respect your opinion Ing, always have, but I think I have seen enough from Newton or Gabbert to think getting one of them is the way to go.

I would surely be happy with Darues too.

Not a huge fan of Miller due to his small stature. What are your thoughts on him?

I don't think either QB is "the way to go"; Gabbert is a slightly more durable and bigger version of Trent Edwards, and Newton raises every red flag i've got.

Last i saw Von Miller was 6'3" and 246; that's not too small; that's good size for an OLB in a 34... are there different measurement on him?

I really like his run/pass recognition, he doesn't' have an amazing first step, but he has a strong inside move in his pass rush technique (i like his inside move more then his outside, which is a good thing as speed rushers with just a solid outside rush don't go far in the nfl).

He looks good at the point of attack against the run... if there is one part of his game i don't like it's his tackling technique is a bit sloppy; he tends to go for the shoulder pads, or ankles. and doesn't wrap up well..

I guess from what i saw on the net, he really blew people away at the combine with his 40 time. Hes not dominating, he's more of a pass rushing guy, and he'll vanish for stretches in the game... but he's probably the best front 7 guy in the draft after Darius. He doesn't look like a 4.4 player on the field, but he does have very good playing speed, mixed with his good football IQ (play recognition) and the fact he actually played in a 34 in college and i think he's probably the best option we have with Darius off the board.

DraftBoy
03-25-2011, 02:03 PM
I don't think either QB is "the way to go"; Gabbert is a slightly more durable and bigger version of Trent Edwards, and Newton raises every red flag i've got.

Last i saw Von Miller was 6'3" and 246; that's not too small; that's good size for an OLB in a 34... are there different measurement on him?

I really like his run/pass recognition, he doesn't' have an amazing first step, but he has a strong inside move in his pass rush technique (i like his inside move more then his outside, which is a good thing as speed rushers with just a solid outside rush don't go far in the nfl).

He looks good at the point of attack against the run... if there is one part of his game i don't like it's his tackling technique is a bit sloppy; he tends to go for the shoulder pads, or ankles. and doesn't wrap up well..

I guess from what i saw on the net, he really blew people away at the combine with his 40 time. Hes not dominating, he's more of a pass rushing guy, and he'll vanish for stretches in the game... but he's probably the best front 7 guy in the draft after Darius. He doesn't look like a 4.4 player on the field, but he does have very good playing speed, mixed with his good football IQ (play recognition) and the fact he actually played in a 34 in college and i think he's probably the best option we have with Darius off the board.

A&M didn't run a traditional 3-4 set, they're was some kind of a very weird hybrid system that allowed Miller to roam pre-snap. That concerns me greatly with Miller.

JCBills
03-25-2011, 02:43 PM
A&M didn't run a traditional 3-4 set, they're was some kind of a very weird hybrid system that allowed Miller to roam pre-snap. That concerns me greatly with Miller.

Seemed like a twisted version of TCU's 4-2-5

Ingtar33
03-25-2011, 10:36 PM

he's standing up, near the line, and rushing or pass defending every down. that's good enough for me. It's not like he's some sort of tweener DE looking to learn how to pass cover, or rush from positions other then the end, having never done it in college.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-26-2011, 03:30 AM
i think buffalo wants to take cameron jordan and then take a olb like acho, houston or reed in rd 2... jmo, acho has great run stop ability and bull rush off the edge...