PDA

View Full Version : Mock Draft 2.0

Mahdi
03-24-2011, 07:57 PM
1. Carolina Panthers -- Blaine Gabbert -- QB -- Mizzou -- There are three picks in this draft I am sure of. This is one of them. Gabbert will go to the Panthers at one who haven't had a QB of the future in years. Delhomme gave them stability and was considered solid at one point but never seen as the franchise QB. Gabbert is seen as the #1 QB and QB trumps the value at the other positions like Peterson and Dareus.

2. Denver Broncos -- Marcell Dareus -- DT -- Alabama -- You can lock this pick in because Denver is not going to pass on Dareus with the shape their DL is in. Dumervil is coming off injury and the rest of their line is filled with journeymen.
He is a can't miss prospect and it will be key for Elway to hit on his first pick. This is the second pick I am certain of.

3. Buffalo Bills -- Cam Newton -- QB -- Auburn -- The two players the Bills would have considered are gone but Newton might have been their guy all along and I will go through the reasons.

#1. Gailey is fond of mobile QBs. How about the most mobile QB in college history. Newton has the ability to turn third and short situations as well as red zone opportunities into nightmares for opposing defences. That factor alone is a compelling reason to take Newton.

#2. Newton although a great athlete is a very good natural thrower. His mechanics in terms of throwing are textbook and he showed at his pro day that he has natural footwork taking the snap from center. He has the arm strength to make any throw and although many consider his accuracy an issue Newton completed 66% of his throws along with 30 TDs and only 7INT, not to mention his 10.19 YPA stat which is impressive in itself.

#3. The Michael Vick Effect: A lot of coaches will look at Vick and see that proper coaching can turn an athlete playing QB into a QB who is an athlete. An offensive mind like Gailey can really bring out the best in Newton especially with the style of offense the Bills run which is suited to Cam's talents. Spreading out the defense and the threat of his running ability will prove difficult to defend. Even Fitzpatrick was successful running last season, imagine what Newton can do given the same opportunities.

#4. For a team that has not had a franchise QB since Kelly they would have to be stupid to pass on a talent like Newton. Again, we are not talking about Tebow here. We are talking about a kid that can run better than Tebow ever could, has a bigger arm, more accurate, and doesn't have the mechanics issue Tebow did. Plus, Tebow looked quite good in his first year as did McCoy who many thought would struggle.

#5. Jamarcus Russell Effect: We aren't talking about Russell here. Newton is a kid who is motivated and wants to be an ICON. Although many see that as a negative, I personally don't. Remember, you have to be good to be an ICON. To me it means that Newton has the motivation to work hard and be a star. That wouldn't be a bad thing for a team that hasn't had an NFL ICON in years. Russell had the arm, but lacked the drive and desire, and also couldn't run a lick. We're talking about a great kid here that everyone seems to enjoy being around, that clearly wants to be good and has talents that are beyond many of the starting QBs in the NFL today. Welcome to Buffalo Cam!

4. Cincinnati Bengals -- AJ Green -- WR -- Georgia -- Green is simply the best player available for a team that needs youth on the offensive side of the ball. AJ is also a nice peace of bait to bring Carson Palmer back into the fold. AJ can make any catch and run any route, a complete football player.

5. Arizona Cardinals -- Patrick Peterson -- CB -- LSU -- The Cards secondary has been bad for a long time. Even during their SB run it was their major weakness and probably the reason they lost in the end. Peterson gives them a true lockdown corner opposite the hot and cold DRC. Peterson is too good too good to slip to the Niners as many suspect he will. He is the most complete player in the draft and shouldn't get past the Cards.

6. Cleveland Browns -- DaQuan Bowers -- DE -- Clemson -- The Browns defense is going through a transition and Bowers would provide them with a solid building block with versatility, toughness against the run and a bigtime pass rush. Great value pick at 6.

7. San Francisco 49ers -- Nick Fairley -- DE/DT -- Auburn -- The Niners have a tough 3 man line with Sopoaga, Franklin and Smith but they could use more speed and pass rush ability inside. Fairley can be a pass rushing 3-4 DE for them and kick inside in their 4 man looks at the 3 technique. He makes their DL more versatile and gives their defense more options.

8. Tennessee Titans -- Robert Quinn -- DE-- North Carolina -- Quinn makes perfect sense for the Titans. They are solid inside but have lacked a true pass rusher since Kearse. Quinn is a polished rusher with speed and power and should fit in nicely in Tennessee.

9. Dallas Cowboys -- Tyron Smith -- OT -- USC -- Smith launched himself up draft boards with his impressive measurements. His play in 2010 was great already but his arm length, hand size and weight ( 36 3/8, 11inch, 307) puts him at the top of the LT class. He has franchise LT written all over him and the Cowboys haven't had one since Flozell was at his best.

10. Washington Redskins -- Julio Jones -- WR -- Alabama -- Washington has lacked a big time WR for a long time, a very long time, and Julio is just too good to pass up at 10. Besides blowing up the combine he was a big time producer for the Crimson Tide and has everything you want in a #1.

11. Houston Texans -- Prince Amukamara -- CB -- Nebraska -- The Texans are moving to a 3-4 under Wade Phillips and actually already have many of the LB needs already on the roster otherwise Von Miller would fit here. However they are starving in the secondary and Prince is a true lockdown CB. He should go here for sure.

12. Minnesota Vikings -- Ryan Mallett -- QB -- Arkansas -- The Vikings need to address their QB situation and it comes down to whether or not they believe Mallett can be that franchise guy. His arm is unquestionable but the same can't be said about his character and mobility. In the end I think they know they can lean on the run game and bring Mallett along slowly.

13. Detroit Lions -- Jimmy Smith -- CB -- Colorado -- Jimmy Smith is part of the best CB class to come out in a long long time and to me represents yet another shut down CB with his size 6'2 205 and 4.38 speed he is the prototype CB for the next generation. Detroit has struggled in the secondary for years and they need to match up with Aaaron Rodgers and Cutler.

14. St. Louis Rams -- Aldon Smith -- DE -- Mizzou -- Aldon Smith is just a fantastic football player. Has a variety of pass rush moves and has room to add more weight and power to his frame. Spagnuolo has a thing for pass rushers (who doesn't?) and gets another one here to boost his DL.

15. Miami Dolphins -- JJ Watt -- DE -- Wisconsin -- Not a need pick here, the Dolphins go for value. Watt walks right into the Dolphin 3 man line with Soliai and Jared Odrick.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars -- Ryan Kerrigan -- The Jags will never stop Manning without a pass rush. They missed on Derrick Harvey and Quentin Groves in prior drafts and they have yet to add a pass rusher. Kerrigan is Mr. Production and although he is sometimes labeled "high motor" I would say that his motor is german engineered. Kerrigan ran a 4.66 40 and had one of the fastest 10 yard split times at the combine with a 1.65. He will be productive in the NFL with his great technique and hand usage.

17. New England Patriots -- Cameron Jordan -- Cameron Jordan is a good fit with the Pats and their hybrid 3-4 defense. He is capable of playing the 5 technique or inside in a four man front. Many have Jordan going higher but I think 17-20 is a good spot for him to go.

18. San Diego Chargers -- Von Miller -- OLB -- Texas A&M -- Miller makes some sense here. San Diego needs to upgrade their pass rush with Larry English struggling and Phillips the only true rusher. I am not as convinced as many are that Miller is a top 10 talent so 18 is a good fit in terms of value and scheme.

19. New York Giants -- Marvin Austin -- DT -- North Carolina -- I love these NC players and the Giants get a top 10 player in terms of talent at 19. Austin is simply disruptive and is a bull in the run game. The Giants run defense hasn't been the same since they lost Fred Robbins. Austin actually compares nicely to Robbins.

20. Tampa Bay Bucs -- Muhammad Wilkerson -- DT -- Temple -- The Bucs drafted Gerald McCoy last year but still need more power inside to complement the penetrating DT. A DE would have been nice here but the value isn't there. Liuget gives them a tough interior defender with the ability to disrupt the backfield.

21. Kansas City Chiefs -- Anthony Costanzo -- OT -- Boston College -- I'm not that impressed with Costanzo as many are but someone will take him in the first and this could be it. The Chiefs can use him at LT or RT and have a day one starter. How good he will be is the question.

22. Indianapolis Colts -- Derrick Sherrod -- LT -- Mississippi State -- Sherrod is good value here and fits one of the Colts top 2 needs. Manning was hit too often last season and they really have never filled the void left by Tariq Glenn. Sherrod is a natural LT and should be a day one starter.

23. Philadelphia Eagles -- Brandon Harris -- CB -- Miami -- Another value pick here and the Eagles need a CB either way. Harris is yet another of the talented CBs from this draft and can be compared to Dunta Robinson. Not as big as the other CBs that went before him but makes up for it with great instincts and a fiery attitude.

24. New Orleans Saints -- Cameron Heyward -- DE/DT -- Ohio State -- Just coincidence that Heyward ends up where his Dad played and was known as Ironhead Heyward. Cameron gives the Saints a dynamic DL that can help them inside against the run and can also line up at DE and give them a power end when they move into their 3-4 looks.

25. Seattle Seahawks -- Jake Locker -- QB -- Washington -- Locker stays at home and works under Pete Carrol who saw a ton of him while coaching the Trojans. Locker won't start day 1 but will be in a good situation playing behind Matt Hasselbeck for half a year to a year. Locker has plenty of tools to work with its just a matter of putting it together.

26. Baltimore Ravens -- Gabe Carimi -- OT -- Wisconsin -- Carimi is your typical Ravens OL. Big, tough and nasty. He isn't the smoothest of athletes but when he locks on the play is over.

27. Atlanta Falcons -- Cory Liuget -- DT-- The Falcons could use a strong interior defender that can also provide a pass rush. Liuget is a typical 3 technique DT who is also tough against the run.

28. New England Patriots -- Mike Pouncey -- OG -- Florida -- The Pats like to collect good football players and that is Pouncey. His brother was a PBer as a rookie and all indications are that Mike will be just as good. The Pats could use him at C or either of the G positions.

29. Chicago Bears -- Jonathan Baldwin -- WR -- Pitt -- Baldwin is a big fast WR with great leaping ability and body control. The Bears have really been lacking a big WR to compliment all their little guys and to give Cutler a true #1 guy.

30. New York Jets -- Aaron Williams -- CB -- Texas -- Its doubtful that the Jets will be able to resign Antonio Cromartie considering the other contracts they have to cover off and they understand the value of having 2 solid CBs in their backfield. Williams is another of the talented CBs this year and has great size at 6 ft 204 pounds.

31. Pittsburgh Steelers -- Nate Solder -- OT -- Colorado -- Many will feel this is too low for Solder but I think the OTs taken ahead of him are better. Solder has plenty of talent but can be beat by speed easily at times. Either way the Steelers get a solid OT to plug in at either of the OT spots since they need help at both.

32. Green Bay Packers -- Mark Ingram -- RB -- Alabama -- How about a RB to close out the first round. The Pack get richer here with the top RB in the draft for a team that struggled to run the ball all year. So much for run and stop the run. Either way, Ingram gives them power and a great sense for finding the gap. He might have had an average 40 but his 10 yard split was impressive and that is critical for any RB.

Bills 34: Brooks Reed -- OLB -- Arizona -- One of my favorite players in the draft. Reed is just a pure baller. He can rush from anywhere along the line, displays great hands and proved at the combine that he has tremendous athleticism to go with it. 4.66 speed and and a 1.56 10 yard split. To put that into perspective, his first 10 yards is faster than Julio Jones, Von Miller, Dontay Moch and AJ Green. That is insane. If you have a chance to watch this kid you might confuse him with Clay Matthews.

Bills 68: Christian Ballard -- DE/DT -- Iowa

Bills 99: Mark Herzlich -- ILB -- Boston College

Bills 121: Derek Newton, OT, Arkansas State

Buffalo Thriller
03-24-2011, 08:16 PM
Great draft.
Newton in the 1st and defensive talent in the later rounds.

tampabay25690
03-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Great job all around.....

tampabay25690
03-24-2011, 08:23 PM
1 thing though Kerrigan before Miller.....
Dont think there is a chance in hell with that....

Mahdi
03-24-2011, 08:34 PM
1 thing though Kerrigan before Miller.....
Dont think there is a chance in hell with that....
Probably not but I like Kerrigan better. Not as fast but is better football player.

tampabay25690
03-24-2011, 08:36 PM
Probably not but I like Kerrigan better. Not as fast but is better football player.

HA?????
Wow 1st person I ever heard that from...WOW
I think Kerrigan may be there in the 2nd round to be honest...

I will say you did a good job for the Bills...
I think if we grab Newton we will load up the defense from there......
I think everyone would be some what happy then....:limpclap:

Mahdi
03-24-2011, 08:51 PM
HA?????
Wow 1st person I ever heard that from...WOW
I think Kerrigan may be there in the 2nd round to be honest...

I will say you did a good job for the Bills...
I think if we grab Newton we will load up the defense from there......
I think everyone would be some what happy then....:limpclap:
In terms of skills I like Kerrigan. His power, hands and pass rush moves are better than Miller.

Miller is a pure speed guy and hasn't learned to do anything else. Will have the same adjustment to make that Maybin had. Whether he has the same struggles or not is up in the air.

Compared to Quinn, Bowers and Kerrigan, Miller just doesn't match up in terms of versatility.

DraftBoy
03-24-2011, 09:03 PM
Herzlich plays OLB not ILB. Not good enough in coverage to make the shift inside.

Mahdi
03-24-2011, 09:18 PM
Herzlich plays OLB not ILB. Not good enough in coverage to make the shift inside.
I think his lack of speed but good size, strength and instincts will make him a good candidate for 3-4 ILB. I don't see how he would fit on the outside covering TEs and RBs.

TigerJ
03-24-2011, 09:20 PM
I'm not at all sure that Ballard drops to the third round. As Draftboy noted Herzlich is an OLB and despite the fact he's got a great story, he's pretty limited athletically. I'm not sure his attitude is enough to make up for his limitations.

I've not been in favor of a QB in R1, but that's an honest difference of opinion, and I can't fault you for that. You make a good case.

PTI
03-24-2011, 10:49 PM
QB and then defense, I like it! Hope that is what we see.

DraftBoy
03-25-2011, 07:30 AM
I think his lack of speed but good size, strength and instincts will make him a good candidate for 3-4 ILB. I don't see how he would fit on the outside covering TEs and RBs.

He doesnt fit a 3-4 at all really. Even at ILB you're going to make him pick through traffic which has never been his strength. Especially given that our front isn't one that commands many (if any) double teams.

EDS
03-25-2011, 08:37 AM
So Ballard would be the only upgrade to the Bills run defense?

alohabillsfan
03-25-2011, 10:27 AM
I could live with that. I also believe that Herzlich will have to move inside in the NFL, I dont think he is no where near athletic enough now to cover a TE or RB, IMO

k-oneputt
03-25-2011, 10:27 AM
He doesnt fit a 3-4 at all really. Even at ILB you're going to make him pick through traffic which has never been his strength. Especially given that our front isn't one that commands many (if any) double teams.

This is the Bills. They tried to force Moats inside. They always draft guys and then try to change their position. Doesn't usually work, but this is the Bills. Anything is possible.

Mahdi
03-25-2011, 10:56 AM
http://coraleegekas.jimdo.com/2011/03/01/the-nfl-scouting-combine-is-one-more-step-on-mark-herzlich-s-path/

This is Herzlich referring to himself as an ILB in a 3-4.

DraftBoy
03-25-2011, 11:11 AM
http://coraleegekas.jimdo.com/2011/03/01/the-nfl-scouting-combine-is-one-more-step-on-mark-herzlich-s-path/

This is Herzlich referring to himself as an ILB in a 3-4.

Im not really concerned with a what a player thinks/says he can or can't do. And I say that because what is he going to say? No I refuse or can't do that? His film tells me he's not a good 3-4 fit at any of the 4 spots.

DraftBoy
03-25-2011, 11:12 AM
This is the Bills. They tried to force Moats inside. They always draft guys and then try to change their position. Doesn't usually work, but this is the Bills. Anything is possible.

That's a valid point.