PDA

View Full Version : Could Da'Quan Bowers become Bruce Smith Mk2?

Blacksheep71
03-25-2011, 03:05 PM
Sacrilege might be the cry but could Bowers be the best fit for our defense at No3?

Looking at the roster we've Williams who's had an outstanding year, Troup who potentially could be a very useful NT, and Carrington, the archetypical LE.

Thinking of our defense of a few years ago containing Bruce-Ted-Phil with Pat joining in the fun, you wonder whether Da'Quan might be the best option.

1) As we've not settled on either a 3-4 or a 4-3 defensive alignment, Bowers has the ability to effectively play in both as a 3-4 DE or as a 4-3 RE.

2) He's had one outstanding season only but the same can be said of many prospects

3) He often lined up on the left side, so is very effective as a run stopper but was initially only a situational rusher. He also played a lot of DT.

4) 15.5 sacks. When the lights came on, they really did. Has also played through pain, not just physical but psychological of losing his father and also his mentor, Gaines Adams.

A future defensive line of Bowers-Williams-Carrington, with Troup coming in, looks extremely attractive as a line of Bowers-Williams-Troup-Carrington looks a very good looking 4-3 line to.

If his knee is ok, I would certainly not be unhappy if he was drafted by the Bills and actually feel he might be a better option than any other DL for us.

BertSquirtgum
03-25-2011, 03:17 PM
nope.....

Ed
03-25-2011, 03:31 PM
I'm still hoping for Dareus, but I think I would rather have Bowers than Von Miller.

Bangarang
03-25-2011, 03:41 PM
Pretty sure they've decided on and are sticking with the 3-4.

cookie G
03-25-2011, 04:09 PM
That's a pretty tall order, hoping someone is going to be the best DE of all time. The "next Bruce Smith" hasn't come out since the last Bruce Smith.

There's a better chance of him becoming "the next Julius Peppers, or the next Mario Williams" or exceeding both of them.

OR there is a chance he can be a guy who can get double digit sacks annually. get into the backfield and disrupt play, and hold the edge on running plays. That certainly wouldn't be bad.

If Wanny has any input on this decision, he's drooling at the prospect.

Blacksheep71
03-25-2011, 05:23 PM
Pretty sure they've decided on and are sticking with the 3-4.

But they will also be playing the hybrid a lot to get Williams and Troup together and a DE who can play both the 3-4 and 4-3 would be invaluable

Mahdi
03-25-2011, 06:04 PM
Bowers might also be able to play as an OLB in a 3-4.

TigerJ
03-26-2011, 09:36 PM
Bowers is gifted athletically. He would be a disruptive pass rusher and he's not a liability in run defense according to what I've read about him. The big "if" concerning him is the condition of his surgically repaired knee. If it's less than 100% as rumored, taking him at #3 could be pretty risky.

DesertFox24
03-28-2011, 07:28 AM
Bowers might also be able to play as an OLB in a 3-4.

No he does not have the the fluid hips to do it. He is a DE all the way, and he is as strong as an Ox.

Mahdi
03-28-2011, 11:35 AM
No he does not have the the fluid hips to do it. He is a DE all the way, and he is as strong as an Ox.
How do you know he doesn't have the hips?

There is a lot of talk about Bowers as a 3-4 OLB. Mayock was talking about it and also saying that scouts and GMs are interested in him as a rush LB.

He will show whether or not he can do it at his pro day.

DraftBoy
03-28-2011, 11:47 AM
How do you know he doesn't have the hips?

There is a lot of talk about Bowers as a 3-4 OLB. Mayock was talking about it and also saying that scouts and GMs are interested in him as a rush LB.

He will show whether or not he can do it at his pro day.

He showed it at Clemson, he's not great at change of direction. His ability to go through drills won't tell me anything like his film does. He can be run for the same reason. Run the counter to his side, and he'll be out of the way because he immediately slide towards the counter and can't get back in time.

ServoBillieves
03-28-2011, 12:30 PM
REPENT! SACRILEGE! DEATH TO THE PAGAN!

In true response, no, there is no foreseeable Bruce Smith 2.0. The man was unstoppable and the anchor of a phenomenal defense that had plenty of support.

He could be a black Phil Hansen, though.

Mahdi
03-28-2011, 12:37 PM
He showed it at Clemson, he's not great at change of direction. His ability to go through drills won't tell me anything like his film does. He can be run for the same reason. Run the counter to his side, and he'll be out of the way because he immediately slide towards the counter and can't get back in time.
That is a very specific criticism and I HIGHLY doubt scouts and GMs sit in meeting rooms and talk about such minute details.

Jarret Johnson is not exactly fluid yet he plays OLB for the Ravens. No one thought Tamba Hali had the hips for OLB either yet he had a monster season.

Sometimes good football plalyers are just good football players. I think Bowers can play OLB even if he is not as fluid as Matthews and Ware. He will play the game differently and succeed.

k-oneputt
03-28-2011, 01:58 PM
He gets to the qb. Sold.

If his knee checks out he would be a good pick for the Bills, of course I'm sure they have a super sleeper lined up.

Gotta laugh that the so called "experts" are now dropping Bowers and Fairley. I didn't realize their game tape the last couple of weeks was that bad.

DraftBoy
03-28-2011, 02:22 PM
That is a very specific criticism and I HIGHLY doubt scouts and GMs sit in meeting rooms and talk about such minute details.
Jarret Johnson is not exactly fluid yet he plays OLB for the Ravens. No one thought Tamba Hali had the hips for OLB either yet he had a monster season.

Sometimes good football plalyers are just good football players. I think Bowers can play OLB even if he is not as fluid as Matthews and Ware. He will play the game differently and succeed.

If scouts aren't talking about his hip fluiditiy and his ability to change direction in the open field and his awareness to read and recognize counter and misdirection plays then I can guarantee you they wont be scouts very long. Sepcifically when talking about guys who are moving from the hand down DE to hand up OLB spot.

Mahdi
03-28-2011, 03:04 PM
If scouts aren't talking about his hip fluiditiy and his ability to change direction in the open field and his awareness to read and recognize counter and misdirection plays then I can guarantee you they wont be scouts very long. Sepcifically when talking about guys who are moving from the hand down DE to hand up OLB spot.
I have no problem with the hip discussion, but going as far as to analyse his ability to stop a counter is not what they are doing.

All that stuff is coachable. I can tell you now that Bowers does not have the hips Ware and Harrions and Clay have, but he does have enough athleticism to play the position his own way. Like I said, Hali is not a fluid athlete himself, does not have the hips of the guys I mentioned before but he gets it done by playing a different kind of game.

DraftBoy
03-28-2011, 03:23 PM
I have no problem with the hip discussion, but going as far as to analyse his ability to stop a counter is not what they are doing.

All that stuff is coachable. I can tell you now that Bowers does not have the hips Ware and Harrions and Clay have, but he does have enough athleticism to play the position his own way. Like I said, Hali is not a fluid athlete himself, does not have the hips of the guys I mentioned before but he gets it done by playing a different kind of game.

I can without a doubt guarantee you they are dicussing that. If they aren't they aren't doing their jobs.