PDA

View Full Version : Draft Day Trade Scenario

Don't Panic
03-27-2011, 09:57 AM
Dareus goes off the board before the Bills come up, but Gabbert does not. Once we get to our time on the clock, Minnesota calls up, desperate to trade up for Gabbert. They offer their 1st (12th pick), 2nd (11th pick) and a 3rd next year (traded this year's for Moss). We'd be taking a hit of about 350 points on the value chart (figuring a middle round 3rd for next year). Do you do it?

I do... because after Dareus, I don't see anyone I want that much more than some of the guys who are going to be there at #12, and the added 2nd and 3rd are sorely needed at this stage of the game. Imagine getting a DL at #12, plus two more top 50 guys. Make sense to me.

McBFLO
03-27-2011, 09:59 AM
In your scenario, who went #1?

clumping platelets
03-27-2011, 10:00 AM
I'd certainly consider it IF both Dareus and Peterson are gone

better days
03-27-2011, 10:21 AM
If there is a CBA in place, I would rather have their #1 this year & #1 next year because I know it will be high.

Yasgur's Farm
03-27-2011, 10:41 AM
I need 2011 1st and 2nd along with 2012 2nd and 3rd.

TacklingDummy
03-27-2011, 10:42 AM
I'd take it and draft Tyron Smith T USC in the first.

12. Tyron Smith T USC
34. TE Kyle Rudolph (Notre Dame)
43. Jake Locker or Andy Dalton or Colin Kaepernick

Or go defense

12. Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska
34. Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State
43. ILB Martez Wilson Illinois

SquishDaFish
03-27-2011, 10:50 AM
I want their 1st and 2nd this year along with next years 1st and 3rd

Ginger Vitis
03-27-2011, 11:06 AM
Yes.. I would take that trade.. having said that i would try very hard to squeeze a 4th round pick from the Vikings as well

Blacksheep71
03-27-2011, 11:27 AM
To allow the Vikings to move from 12th (1200) to 3rd (2200pts) for a franchise QB, I would demand also their 2nd rounder (470) and a R1 next year (800-1200pts)

You should always demand a premium for a team looking to move up especially when you cannot guarantee where future draft picks might be within a round.

The Vikings get a No3 = 2200
The Bills get a No12 (1250) a No43 (470) and a future R1 = 800-1200

When we traded up for Losman we gained a player worth 720pts but gave up 1700pts to do so

BertSquirtgum
03-27-2011, 11:45 AM
i want the Bills to draft Dareus or Peterson. so i wouldn't do the deal because i don't see both of them being gone at 3.

PTI
03-27-2011, 11:47 AM
OR................just draft Gabbert and have your QB FOR THE NEXT 10 YEARS

better days
03-27-2011, 11:53 AM

...............MAYBE.

Buffalo Thriller
03-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Yeah I would and grab jj watt

Ingtar33
03-27-2011, 12:28 PM

you mean trent edwards version 2.0?

no thank you.

~and no thank you to the trade either. that's a terrible deal for the Bills. If we were to trade back to 12, we'd need to get a lot more then a 2nd and a 3rd for it...

a first next year and a 2nd this year at least.

Don't Panic
03-27-2011, 12:43 PM
TD... remember our own pick too...

Assume Dareus and Peterson were gone.

I made this a scenario where that was the best they were offering. Obviously, we'd all like to get 4000 points for a pick worth 2200, but would you take this deal if it was the best offered before we picked.

Mahdi
03-27-2011, 12:43 PM
So we finally suck enough to draft in the top 3 and we should trade it away to pickup another player in the 10-13 range?

This team needs a star player, we finally have the chance to add one of the best players in college and people want to trade that?

How often do you get to pick 3rd overall? We need to make the pick and get a franchise player for once.

Don't Panic
03-27-2011, 12:53 PM
So we finally suck enough to draft in the top 3 and we should trade it away to pickup another player in the 10-13 range?

This team needs a star player, we finally have the chance to add one of the best players in college and people want to trade that?

How often do you get to pick 3rd overall? We need to make the pick and get a franchise player for once.

There have been a lot of guys when we picked at #8-12 that were in the top 3 that I wanted. Now that we're top 3, there is one guy I want. If he's gone, you don't take a guy just because... in this draft there is a lot of talent there at #12. Much more so than when we were picking there. Plus, we could really use the extra picks.

Ingtar33
03-27-2011, 12:57 PM
There have been a lot of guys when we picked at #8-12 that were in the top 3 that I wanted. Now that we're top 3, there is one guy I want. If he's gone, you don't take a guy just because... in this draft there is a lot of talent there at #12. Much more so than when we were picking there. Plus, we could really use the extra picks.

no... there isn't.

this draft is extremely weak... and it doesn't get stronger by drafting later.

most of the guys being talked about as mid first rounders would have been 2nd rounders last year.

and most of the 2nd rounders would have been 3rd or 4th in most other years.

there are maybe 3 elite talents in this draft... and maybe 10 total first round talents in this draft. This is a terrible year, and because of that you don't trade back unless you're 100% sure the guy you want to draft at 3 will still be there, and sure you get something good for your troubles.

This trade fails that. there is zero chance whomever we want at 3 will still be there at 12... and getting just a 2nd and a 4th (well a 3rd next year is a 4th this year) for the pick is garbage.

Blacksheep71
03-27-2011, 01:09 PM

Or work to have two R1 in next years draft to take ANDREW LUCK and definitely have a QB for the next 10years

don137
03-27-2011, 02:01 PM
From my understanding, due to the lockout you are not allowed to trade for draft picks in a future year or for a player. You can only trade for picks that are for this year. As a result this trade scenerio is a moot point.

mikemac2001
03-27-2011, 03:15 PM
From my understanding, due to the lockout you are not allowed to trade for draft picks in a future year or for a player. You can only trade for picks that are for this year. As a result this trade scenerio is a moot point.

idk if this is confirmed but i know its a possibility that they don't allow future pick trading

tampabay25690
03-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Dareus goes off the board before the Bills come up, but Gabbert does not. Once we get to our time on the clock, Minnesota calls up, desperate to trade up for Gabbert. They offer their 1st (12th pick), 2nd (11th pick) and a 3rd next year (traded this year's for Moss). We'd be taking a hit of about 350 points on the value chart (figuring a middle round 3rd for next year). Do you do it?

I do... because after Dareus, I don't see anyone I want that much more than some of the guys who are going to be there at #12, and the added 2nd and 3rd are sorely needed at this stage of the game. Imagine getting a DL at #12, plus two more top 50 guys. Make sense to me.

You do it in 1 sec................
We need more talent.
1 guy will not make this team into the playoffs......

Nighthawk
03-27-2011, 03:21 PM
I'd draft Von Miller if Dareus wasn't there and I'd be very happy.

Extremebillsfan247
03-27-2011, 03:47 PM
You never trade out of the top 3 in the draft unless the deal you get in return is a ridiculous one in your favor. A 4-12 team has no business picking 12th overall in the draft. If you want to slide that far down because of talent at 3, what do you think will be there at 12? Just wondering. Personally, I would rather roll with any of the top 5 prospects in this draft than to trade that far down. Sometimes trades hurt your team more than they help it.

PromoTheRobot
03-27-2011, 04:52 PM
I would tell Minny I have Cinci, AZ, Wash and Dallas on the other lines and if they want my #3 they will have to bend over and spread 'em.

PTR

psubills62
03-27-2011, 05:07 PM
I'd be very interested in Minnesota's first round pick next year. Can't imagine them doing that well in the 2011 season.

Extremebillsfan247
03-27-2011, 05:23 PM
I'd be very interested in Minnesota's first round pick next year. Can't imagine them doing that well in the 2011 season.
Because of the lockout, and a chance at there not being a CBA in place when games eventually do get played in 2011, trading for a 2012 draft pick could be extremely risky. If there is no season in 2011, the odds of a trade for a 2012 draft pick working in your favor becomes even more unlikely. In fact, it may turn into much more of a risk than just picking a guy at 3 this year, just saying.

Ebenezer
03-27-2011, 05:28 PM
I'm betting none of this happens.

Night Train
03-27-2011, 06:42 PM
If Dareus is gone, then I have no problen backing up to #12 to pick a Jordan, Paea,Quinn type while aquiring an extra 2nd, 3rd & 5th.

With the extra 4th and 7th already showing, that could get this roster healthy very quickly.

Let's see... our needs are DE,DT,MLB,S,TE,CB,OT,QB..

Yasgur's Farm
03-27-2011, 07:24 PM
From my understanding, due to the lockout you are not allowed to trade for draft picks in a future year or for a player. You can only trade for picks that are for this year. As a result this trade scenerio is a moot point.Good point... I think you're right. But I wouldn't hold my breath that trade gurus will take heed... Some are still trying to include players in their deals.

BertSquirtgum
03-27-2011, 07:45 PM

or have someone worse than losman.

Don't Panic
03-27-2011, 07:45 PM
You never trade out of the top 3 in the draft unless the deal you get in return is a ridiculous one in your favor. A 4-12 team has no business picking 12th overall in the draft. If you want to slide that far down because of talent at 3, what do you think will be there at 12? Just wondering. Personally, I would rather roll with any of the top 5 prospects in this draft than to trade that far down. Sometimes trades hurt your team more than they help it.

That is the reason I posed it. Dareus aside, I don't like what I'm seeing at #3 for us. However, the mocks I've been looking at have all had decent quality (IMO) in the 8-14 range. Names like Fairley, Bowers, Quinn, Tyron Smith, Watt, Kerrigan, Jordan... a couple of those will be there at #12 and all would be solid fits for glaring needs for us. I'd rather one of them and another top 40 or so guy than someone who we're stretching on since the best fit for us isn't there.

justasportsfan
03-27-2011, 08:46 PM
throw in their 1st next year and grab Barkley

better days
03-27-2011, 09:54 PM

There are not supposed to be many great players in this draft BUT there are supposed to be a greater amount of very good players in this draft than most years.

If ever there was a time to trade down from the top 3 this is it.

ParanoidAndroid
03-28-2011, 12:11 AM
Meh... This is all moot anyway since the Bills got that compensatory 7th rounder who will most likley have a greater impact than our 1st round choice.

ServoBillieves
03-28-2011, 01:04 AM
When will the general idiots realize that NO trade is going to happen?! Gabbert is the next Leaf (I'll put money on that) and I am so sick of the past 3 years seeing "oh, we'll trade back." NO, we will not, so stop putting up scenarios and ideas that we will trade back for non-elite players and have MORE of them. This draft sucks.

Mahdi
03-28-2011, 02:13 AM
throw in their 1st next year and grab Barkley
And how do you know you will be in position to get Luck or Barkley?

Buddo
03-28-2011, 04:13 AM
Trading draft picks can happen this year, and for future years. Trading players, cannot.
Trading future picks, is very much 'at your own risk', as there are no guarantees about any further drafts, whereas the previous CBA does allow for this one.

350 points is way too much 'value' to be under, to make the trade tbh. For a.n. other player, then maybe, but if you want to move up to grab a QB, you have to pay through the nose.
The Bungals sit right behind us, and will probably be desperate for a QB - you have to make the Vikes pay plenty for the priviledge.
I wouldn't make that trade.
I'd say that to get from 12 to 3, just about any trade would have to include two 1st rounders. Add the Vikes 1st round pick for next year into it, and I would probably do it - anything other than that, and we are, in effect, getting well shafted.

don137
03-28-2011, 07:02 AM
Trading draft picks can happen this year, and for future years. Trading players, cannot.
Trading future picks, is very much 'at your own risk', as there are no guarantees about any further drafts, whereas the previous CBA does allow for this one.

350 points is way too much 'value' to be under, to make the trade tbh. For a.n. other player, then maybe, but if you want to move up to grab a QB, you have to pay through the nose.
The Bungals sit right behind us, and will probably be desperate for a QB - you have to make the Vikes pay plenty for the priviledge.
I wouldn't make that trade.
I'd say that to get from 12 to 3, just about any trade would have to include two 1st rounders. Add the Vikes 1st round pick for next year into it, and I would probably do it - anything other than that, and we are, in effect, getting well shafted.
On a Espn football podcast last week they were talking about the lockout effect on the draft and they said how New England who has a long history of trading picks in the current draft for picks in future years will not being able to do it this year due to the rules in place from the lockout. I have not read it anywhere so cannot confirm it and am just passing on what they said.