PDA

View Full Version : Bills Second Round Prospects: Cameron Heyward

patmoran2006
03-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Since we’re growing tired of talking about who the Buffalo Bills may take with the third overall pick, this is the fifth in a 10-part series about who the Bills are most likely to target with their second round draft pick. The Bills hold the second pick of round two, 34th overall)

Cameron Heyward, Ohio State (DE)
After helping anchor a defense that ranked fifth in the NCAA last year, Heyward enters the NFL draft hungry to chase down quarterbacks at the next level. The 6-foot-5, 290-pound defensive end leaves Ohio State after four years of steady production, which has set him up to be one of the better prospects available for selection next month.

Heyward also owns impressive bloodlines to go with his high-caliber talent. His father, the late Craig “Ironhead” Heyward, played tailback for five different NFL teams from 1988-1998. A fearsome figure in the backfield, the man was a bear-sized runner notorious for punishing defenders who got in his way.

Ironhead’s drive and determination can be seen in his son, although the younger Heyward does his damage from the opposite site of the ball. The Buckeye product is excellent at maneuvering his long, athletic frame to his advantage, bull-rushing or spinning past blockers on his way to the backfield.
Although he has never tallied elite sack numbers in one season, Heyward’s consistency over four years is what scouts have found so appealing. After contributing heavily as a freshman, he became a full-time starter his sophomore season and had a breakout campaign the following year in 2009. Registering 46 tackles and six sacks, Heyward could easily have been a high draft pick last April, but decided to return to school to finish his degree and help guide his team to another top-10 finish. He leaves college after tallying 157 tackles and 14.5 sacks over four years.

Still just 21 years old, Heyward projects as a rotational NFL player who should develop into a solid starter down the road. Also an effective run-stopper, he has shown the knack for making plays after starting from a variety of positions along the line.

Why He’s A Fit For The Bills: It’s no secret by now the Bills need as much help as they can get on defense. They’re thin at the end spots after cutting Marcus Stroud, and the team needs insurance behind Dwan Edwards, Spencer Johnson, and 2010 third-rounder Alex Carrington.

Heyward’s versatility is also a factor that might jump out to this coaching staff, as he should be able to handle playing defensive end in the 4-3 or 3-4 scheme. Since it appears the Bills will once again feature both defenses and various hybrid forms, Heyward would figure to see plenty of time filling in along the front four.

Stopping the run will also be critical to give Buffalo a chance to stay in games next season. Heyward’s penchant for penetrating to the ball is an asset that would greatly enhance the play of others around him.

A well-respected team captain and positive locker room presence, he also brings great intangibles to the table. His decision to forego guaranteed millions and return to his teammates and classes was an impressive move from a young man who appears to have his priorities in place.

Why He’s Not A Fit: If Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey are looking for a true pass-rushing sensation, Heyward is not the ideal choice. Although he is an effective lineman who can create pressure, he does not have the upper-echelon instincts and closing speed to regularly rack up high sack numbers. With just two career forced fumbles, he was unable to show superior game-changing ability in the turnover department.

Some scouts have noted that Heyward tends to disappear in games where he faces dominant left tackles. With his upper body strength an area that could use improvement, he occasionally struggles with getting the needed leverage to push past more stalwart offensive linemen. It’s certainly possible that Heyward would find himself overmatched against guys like Jake Long, Matt Light, and D’Brickashaw Ferguson.

Relatively durable during his college career, Heyward did require Tommy John surgery last month to address an injured elbow. He has bounced back quicker than expected, but many teams will be closely scrutinizing his performance during a workout on March 30. If he fails to impress, it could cause some teams to shy away from his services.

Chance He’s Available At Pick 34: 50 percent. A lot of NFL teams are expected to consider Heyward in the late first round, although this draft class is quite deep at his position. Much of his stock will depend on his workout and what other mid-first-round defensive end candidates show in the weeks leading up to the draft. Guys like J.J. Watt, Aldon Smith, Brooks Reed, Cameron Jordan, and Adrian Clayborn should all precede Heyward unless something dramatic changes in the meantime.

Despite the competition, many analysts still feel that Heyward would be good value for a team picking in the 18-32 range. He would presumably be a strong fit for teams like the Chargers, Chiefs, Ravens, Saints, Patriots, Steelers, or Packers. But because of the number of high-quality defensive ends and linebackers available, a few projected first-rounders will undoubtedly fall into the second, and Heyward could easily find himself in that group.

Chances He Gets Drafted By Buffalo: You’d have to think the Bills would be happy to nab Heyward if he slips to 34, but it may not be such a clear-cut decision. If Nix and Gailey select a front-seven defender in the first round, they may choose to go quarterback, tight end, or offensive tackle in the second. For a team with holes at a number of positions, Heyward may not have the same upside as a prospect at another position of need.

With that being said, Buffalo’s brain trust could do a lot worse than making the former Buckeye their second-round choice. They’re familiar with Ohio State’s defensive program, and Heyward’s pedigree and versatility present a fairly convincing package. While he won’t ever lead the league in tackles or sacks, he possesses a substantial skill set that would be a welcome addition to the player-personnel at One Bills Drive.

Previously: Christian Ponder, (http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/bills-christian-ponder/) Kyle Rudolph, (http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/bills-prospects-kyle-rudolph/) Martez Wilson (http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/bills-prospects-martez-wilson/), Mason Foster (http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/bills-second-round-prospects-mason-foster/)

psubills62
03-28-2011, 11:16 AM
If we didn't go with DL at #3, I'd be all for taking Heyward. If we get someone like Cam Jordan or Marcel Dareus at #3...I'd take a long look at Heyward, but in the end might have to pass. I'd love to draft him and have all that depth on the DL (Williams, Troup, Dareus, Carrington, Edwards, Heyward), but we are so weak at other spots (spots that will almost certainly have other good players available), that I'd have a tough time believing he's the best pick.

T-Long
03-28-2011, 11:19 AM
I agree, if they go DL at 3, they are more than likely going to take a QB in Round 2. After the momentum that Ponder is getting, he may not be there. It would prob. come down to Kapernick or Dalton at 34. I think Locker either goes in the first round or a team trades up with NE a pick ahead of us and takes him there.

patmoran2006
03-28-2011, 11:35 AM
I agree with both you guys. However, I definitely don't assume that the third overall pick is going to be a DL when you got Patrick Peterson, Von Miller and possibly even Cam Newton on the board.

I do agree tho, if available, a guy like Heyward is only in play if we don't go DL at 3.

ServoBillieves
03-28-2011, 12:26 PM
IF we go Miller round 1, I would not mind this pick. He's from Ohio State, so you'd expect one of our scouts to have a hard on for him with our run of Big Ten picks. If we go DL #1, I would rather see a Ijalana/Carimi (I like the kids)/Ayers/Kaepernick pick.

Blacksheep71
03-28-2011, 12:38 PM
Personally I'd prefer Rudolph here.

If we go QB a safety valve at TE will help their development.
If we go DL help for Fitz would be useful rather than a QB riding the pine and prospect of Luck in 2012 who could also use a TE if taken.

Mike Martz has not really used TEs but Gailey will have noted how the Bears picked up once he started using Greg Olsen.

I don't see Baltimore taking Rudolph as they took Ed Jackson and Dennis Pitna in the 3rd and 4th last year.

tampabay25690
03-28-2011, 01:51 PM
I agree, if they go DL at 3, they are more than likely going to take a QB in Round 2. After the momentum that Ponder is getting, he may not be there. It would prob. come down to Kapernick or Dalton at 34. I think Locker either goes in the first round or a team trades up with NE a pick ahead of us and takes him there.

T you are right.
I see Locker and Ponder both going in round 1 now.
Ponder seems to be all the right things and moving up boards as we speak.....
You may see Mallett drop out of the 1st round and not even go till mid 2nd or late 2nd.......