• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PTI
    Banned
    • Jan 2011

Sabres Defensemen depth chart

OK, if we lose someone else, it is clear that Marc-Andre Gragnani has to be the next guy assuming Leopold cannot go. I have no clue who else we have though. Who is the next guy after that?

Hope we won't regret just stashing Rivet away in case he was needed.
    Last edited by PTI; 03-28-2011, 10:55 AM.
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Re: Sabres Defensemen depth chart

I would guess the next guy would be TJ Brennan.
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

we got Montador back. Trust me- Rivet won't be missed, even if we have to call up Gragnani.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• PTI
        Banned
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter
        I would guess the next guy would be TJ Brennan.
        I was thinking it would be him. Don't know about him.

@OP, I know we got Montador back, but we are back to 6 healthy DMEN now, and I remember the Sabres having their top 4 or 5 out just a few years ago and this year we have no real veterans in the minors like the Sabres had in 2005-2006, they had some guys that had at least played some NHL games like Jeff Jilson and Doug Janik and had Paetsch at least, I just hope we don't have anyone else get hurt on Defense.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by PTI
          OK, if we lose someone else, it is clear that Marc-Andre Gragnani has to be the next guy assuming Leopold cannot go. I have no clue who else we have though. Who is the next guy after that?

Hope we won't regret just stashing Rivet away in case he was needed.
          Looks like TJ Brennan, then Nick Crawford, followed by Drew Schiestel, unless they want a fighter, then it would be Tim Conboy. Based solely on statistics alone.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by PTI
            I was thinking it would be him. Don't know about him.

@OP, I know we got Montador back, but we are back to 6 healthy DMEN now, and I remember the Sabres having their top 4 or 5 out just a few years ago and this year we have no real veterans in the minors like the Sabres had in 2005-2006, they had some guys that had at least played some NHL games like Jeff Jilson and Doug Janik and had Paetsch at least, I just hope we don't have anyone else get hurt on Defense.
            I see your point- I'm just saying that if we do have more injuries on D, I'd rather see someone who's young and hungry come up and get some experience than waste more time on Rivet. You might see our top 4 playing 26 or 27 minutes, but that would probably happen with Rivet in the lineup anyway due to his physical limitations.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Ebenezer
              Give me a minute...
              • Jul 2002

Anybody worried about not having Rivet is looking for a reason to panic and place some blame on the FO. Rivet was worthless to this team. They won despite his presence. He's better off where he is. Injuries happen. Rivet is not a solution.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                Anybody worried about not having Rivet is looking for a reason to panic and place some blame on the FO. Rivet was worthless to this team. They won despite his presence. He's better off where he is. Injuries happen. Rivet is not a solution.
                Even I'm defending the FO on this one. That should tell you something.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• PTI
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2011

I am not worried about not having Rivet. Not sure how you interpreted that. I think Rivet is a better option than Gragnani though if I had to choose and it was a playoff game. I understand the limitations of Rivet as well. I am glad they got him out of the regular lineup early without a doubt. I mean, Rangers actually traded for Brian McCabe as a just in case defensemen. Once again, THERE IS NO PANIC HERE. The main thing I re-stated is we are thin at DMEN if we needed to call someone up.
                  Last edited by PTI; 03-28-2011, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                    Zero for Zero!
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
                    Even I'm defending the FO on this one. That should tell you something.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                      Zero for Zero!
                      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by PTI
                      I am not worried about not having Rivet. Not sure how you interpreted that. I think Rivet is a better option than Gragnani though if I had to choose and it was a playoff game. I understand the limitations of Rivet as well. I am glad they got him out of the regular lineup early without a doubt. I mean, Rangers actually traded for Brian McCabe as a just in case defensemen. Once again, THERE IS NO PANIC HERE. The main thing I re-stated is we are thin at DMEN if we needed to call someone up.

Rivet is way too slow.

I am not sure that Gragani is the answer, but he is better than Rivet.

They have 7 NHL capable D-men. Unless a team is a serious contender it is hard to have 8 or so. The whole 05/06 thing was a fluke - a team can't be ready for 4 o5 injuries on defense anymore than they can be for 8 injuries at forward or 2 at goalie.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter
                        Rivet is way too slow.

I am not sure that Gragani is the answer, but he is better than Rivet.

They have 7 NHL capable D-men. Unless a team is a serious contender it is hard to have 8 or so. The whole 05/06 thing was a fluke - a team can't be ready for 4 o5 injuries on defense anymore than they can be for 8 injuries at forward or 2 at goalie.
                        Gragnani is our 8th guy anyways. What team goes 9 or 10 deep with solid defensemen?

TJ Brennen was a high pick and has good talent, with a booming shot. I would hope he could play in a pinch as well. Wasn't Schiestell in the AHL all star game?

Comment

• Ebenezer
                          Give me a minute...
                          • Jul 2002

On a more serious note, I would love a progress report on some of the prospects...Are we dry on the farm or is there some real hidden gems down there?

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                            • Jul 2002

On a more serious note, I would love a progress report on some of the prospects...Are we dry on the farm or is there some real hidden gems down there?
                            Kassian
                            Brennen
                            Adam
                            Scheistel
                            Enroth
                            Pysyk
                            Foligno

If anything I would say we are well stocked on young talent when you consider, Ennis, Gerbe, Myers, Webber, Butler, Sekera are all in their young 20s. (ennis, and Myers are just 20)

HFboards is the largest ice hockey discussion forum, covering the NHL, College, Europe, and any other area of major hockey around the world. Over 36 million posts and growing.

Comment

• Mski
                              • Mar 2006

i believe mancari played a bunch on D in portland too
                              RIP Tommy D!
                              12/25/1978-9/9/2008

If you make something "Idiot-proof", they'll only make better idiots!

Comment

Working...
                              X