What does Gabbert and Newton offer that Clausen didn't?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blacksheep71
    Veteran Zoner
    • Mar 2011

What does Gabbert and Newton offer that Clausen didn't?

Last year, we passed up not once but twice, the opportunity to draft a QB of the future who many thought we might be lucky to find at #9, Jimmy Clausen.

With 3 years as a starter in an pro-style offense under an offensive guru who had coached the offense on Super Bowl winning teams, Charlie Weis, Clausen had started 35 games compared to Blaine Gabbert who has 26 and Cam Newton with a paultry 14. Both of the latter also play in a gimmicky college offense so would need more time to adjust to the pros.

Arguably, the Bills are this year in a much better position under center with Fitzpatrick than this time last year, so why would Gailey and Nix entertain the possibility of spending a higher pick on a riskier prospect?

Everyone can argue that not taking Clausen in hingsight was a good decision but at the time, was he actually a worse prospect? If he wasn't then I wonder if the talk about franchise QBs coming out of Orchard Park is hot air.
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Re: What does Gabbert and Newton offer that Clausen didn't?

Pickles was a douche and everyone knew it.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• k-oneputt
      • Jun 2009

If we can give Spiller, Troup, and Carrington another year because they are rookies, why not Clausen ?
      Because our three guys did next to nothing also.

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

Bigger hands.
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• trapezeus
          Legendary Zoner
          • Oct 2004

Clausen might have killed his draft status in the one on one interviews. no one knows what gets said there, but if the teams that brought you in pass, the teams who didn't, have to wonder why all of them passed and then hesitate on taking him.

Newton and Gabbert have plenty of hype, but if they botch the interviews with all their visits and they get passed on, they will fall like clausen.

that's my guess for why it happened.

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

If the Bills think Newton or Gabbert are no better than Clausen then they should pass on them as they did Jimmy. Clausen will never amount to anything in the NFL & Newton & Gabbert may not either.

Comment

• Prov401
              President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
              • Aug 2008

To your question... Clausen offers exactly what Gabbert offers. Both will be career backups in this league.

Newton is a phenomenal athlete. He clearly offers a ton of things different than Clausen.

However, I'm passing on both QB's. I can only pray the Bills do the same.
              Last edited by Prov401; 03-28-2011, 04:09 PM.

Comment

• bosshogg21
                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Prov401
                To your question... Clausen offers exactly what Gabbert offers. Both will be career backups in this league.

Newton is a phenomenal athlete. He clearly offers a ton of different things different than Clausen.

However, I'm passing on both QB's. I can only pray the Bills do the same.

Absolutely agree. Best assessment I've heard yet.

Comment

• Blacksheep71
                  Veteran Zoner
                  • Mar 2011

My concern about Cam Newton? The seeming sense of entitlement that shout JaMarcus Russell Mk2

I've got my fingers and toes crossed that we might yet still win the Luck sweepstakes. I reckon he went back to school because he wants to go to Buffalo and knew Carolina would take him 1st :)

Comment

• Bill Cody
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Blacksheep71
                    Last year, we passed up not once but twice, the opportunity to draft a QB of the future who many thought we might be lucky to find at #9, Jimmy Clausen.

With 3 years as a starter in an pro-style offense under an offensive guru who had coached the offense on Super Bowl winning teams, Charlie Weis, Clausen had started 35 games compared to Blaine Gabbert who has 26 and Cam Newton with a paultry 14. Both of the latter also play in a gimmicky college offense so would need more time to adjust to the pros.

Arguably, the Bills are this year in a much better position under center with Fitzpatrick than this time last year, so why would Gailey and Nix entertain the possibility of spending a higher pick on a riskier prospect?

Everyone can argue that not taking Clausen in hingsight was a good decision but at the time, was he actually a worse prospect? If he wasn't then I wonder if the talk about franchise QBs coming out of Orchard Park is hot air.
                    This isn't even close to being all about the Bills. L'il Jimmy Pickles got passed over 47 times. Whether the Bills draft either Gabbert or Newton both will be top ten picks. Does that mean these guys are better? Well in the opinion of most if not the entire league yes. No chance either guy slips to late 2nd. Pickles has small hands, he's arrogant and he's not very smart. Will he make it? I doubted it last year and I haven't changed my mind yet.

Comment

• X-Era
                      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                      • Feb 2005

The search continues... unless you believe Fitzpatrick can win us a Superbowl. I just don't believe that.

Comment

• Blacksheep71
                        Veteran Zoner
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by X-Era
                        The search continues... unless you believe Fitzpatrick can win us a Superbowl. I just don't believe that.
                        No

But I think Andrew Luck can ..... and far earlier in his career than Blaine Gabbert or Cam Newton could

Comment

• X-Era
                          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                          • Feb 2005

No

But I think Andrew Luck can ..... and far earlier in his career than Blaine Gabbert or Cam Newton could
                          That will cost us our 1st, 2nd, and more to get.

Comment

• baalworship
                            • May 2003

So this is another Luck thread now.

Comment

• TigerJ
                              • Jul 2002

I was not on the Claussen bandwagon last year and I'm not on the Gabbert/ Newton bandwagon this year, but they are all different QBs with different strengths and weaknesses. If a person likes one or another of the three for whatever reason, so what? Claussen had the Charlie Weiss pedigree, Newton has the great athleticism, Gabbert has the good touch in the short game. I admit to being turned off by Claussen's personality, but it's no big deal to me if a fan decides he likes on or another of them. It's all about opinion this time of year, and opinions are by definition subjgective. The only thing that really bothers me are yahoos who go around thinking their opinions are so good that everyone else ought to regard them as sacred fact.
                              Last edited by TigerJ; 03-28-2011, 07:20 PM.
                              I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X