PDA

View Full Version : What does Gabbert and Newton offer that Clausen didn't?

Blacksheep71
03-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Last year, we passed up not once but twice, the opportunity to draft a QB of the future who many thought we might be lucky to find at #9, Jimmy Clausen.

With 3 years as a starter in an pro-style offense under an offensive guru who had coached the offense on Super Bowl winning teams, Charlie Weis, Clausen had started 35 games compared to Blaine Gabbert who has 26 and Cam Newton with a paultry 14. Both of the latter also play in a gimmicky college offense so would need more time to adjust to the pros.

Arguably, the Bills are this year in a much better position under center with Fitzpatrick than this time last year, so why would Gailey and Nix entertain the possibility of spending a higher pick on a riskier prospect?

Everyone can argue that not taking Clausen in hingsight was a good decision but at the time, was he actually a worse prospect? If he wasn't then I wonder if the talk about franchise QBs coming out of Orchard Park is hot air.

The King
03-28-2011, 01:59 PM
Pickles was a douche and everyone knew it.

k-oneputt
03-28-2011, 02:01 PM
If we can give Spiller, Troup, and Carrington another year because they are rookies, why not Clausen ?
Because our three guys did next to nothing also.

justasportsfan
03-28-2011, 02:03 PM
Bigger hands.

trapezeus
03-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Clausen might have killed his draft status in the one on one interviews. no one knows what gets said there, but if the teams that brought you in pass, the teams who didn't, have to wonder why all of them passed and then hesitate on taking him.

Newton and Gabbert have plenty of hype, but if they botch the interviews with all their visits and they get passed on, they will fall like clausen.

that's my guess for why it happened.

better days
03-28-2011, 02:33 PM
If the Bills think Newton or Gabbert are no better than Clausen then they should pass on them as they did Jimmy. Clausen will never amount to anything in the NFL & Newton & Gabbert may not either.

Prov401
03-28-2011, 02:39 PM
To your question... Clausen offers exactly what Gabbert offers. Both will be career backups in this league.

Newton is a phenomenal athlete. He clearly offers a ton of things different than Clausen.

However, I'm passing on both QB's. I can only pray the Bills do the same.

bosshogg21
03-28-2011, 02:43 PM
To your question... Clausen offers exactly what Gabbert offers. Both will be career backups in this league.

Newton is a phenomenal athlete. He clearly offers a ton of different things different than Clausen.

However, I'm passing on both QB's. I can only pray the Bills do the same.

Absolutely agree. Best assessment I've heard yet.

Blacksheep71
03-28-2011, 02:45 PM
My concern about Cam Newton? The seeming sense of entitlement that shout JaMarcus Russell Mk2

I've got my fingers and toes crossed that we might yet still win the Luck sweepstakes. I reckon he went back to school because he wants to go to Buffalo and knew Carolina would take him 1st :)

Bill Cody
03-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Last year, we passed up not once but twice, the opportunity to draft a QB of the future who many thought we might be lucky to find at #9, Jimmy Clausen.

With 3 years as a starter in an pro-style offense under an offensive guru who had coached the offense on Super Bowl winning teams, Charlie Weis, Clausen had started 35 games compared to Blaine Gabbert who has 26 and Cam Newton with a paultry 14. Both of the latter also play in a gimmicky college offense so would need more time to adjust to the pros.

Arguably, the Bills are this year in a much better position under center with Fitzpatrick than this time last year, so why would Gailey and Nix entertain the possibility of spending a higher pick on a riskier prospect?

Everyone can argue that not taking Clausen in hingsight was a good decision but at the time, was he actually a worse prospect? If he wasn't then I wonder if the talk about franchise QBs coming out of Orchard Park is hot air.

This isn't even close to being all about the Bills. L'il Jimmy Pickles got passed over 47 times. Whether the Bills draft either Gabbert or Newton both will be top ten picks. Does that mean these guys are better? Well in the opinion of most if not the entire league yes. No chance either guy slips to late 2nd. Pickles has small hands, he's arrogant and he's not very smart. Will he make it? I doubted it last year and I haven't changed my mind yet.

X-Era
03-28-2011, 04:49 PM

The search continues... unless you believe Fitzpatrick can win us a Superbowl. I just don't believe that.

Blacksheep71
03-28-2011, 05:35 PM
The search continues... unless you believe Fitzpatrick can win us a Superbowl. I just don't believe that.

No

But I think Andrew Luck can ..... and far earlier in his career than Blaine Gabbert or Cam Newton could

X-Era
03-28-2011, 05:36 PM
No

But I think Andrew Luck can ..... and far earlier in his career than Blaine Gabbert or Cam Newton couldThat will cost us our 1st, 2nd, and more to get.

baalworship
03-28-2011, 06:07 PM
So this is another Luck thread now.

TigerJ
03-28-2011, 07:19 PM
I was not on the Claussen bandwagon last year and I'm not on the Gabbert/ Newton bandwagon this year, but they are all different QBs with different strengths and weaknesses. If a person likes one or another of the three for whatever reason, so what? Claussen had the Charlie Weiss pedigree, Newton has the great athleticism, Gabbert has the good touch in the short game. I admit to being turned off by Claussen's personality, but it's no big deal to me if a fan decides he likes on or another of them. It's all about opinion this time of year, and opinions are by definition subjgective. The only thing that really bothers me are yahoos who go around thinking their opinions are so good that everyone else ought to regard them as sacred fact.

Mike
03-28-2011, 09:19 PM
peterson, mallet, I like. I think we should go defensive BPA in 1st round, then again in round 2. I really like Mallet. I think he can have a Drew Bledsoe type of career, good but not great, cracking at sight of heavy pressure but great passer, good stats, etc...

Mad Max
03-28-2011, 11:51 PM
Winning Quarterbacks must be first and foremost, "Leaders Of Men", I see that quality in Gabbert, maybe in Newton as well, I don't see it in Claussen. I could be wrong but I don't think I am.

Blacksheep71
03-29-2011, 12:28 AM
That will cost us our 1st, 2nd, and more to get.

Depending where we draft.

If we take 2004 as a guide, The Giants trade No4, a 3rd rounder and a 1st in 2005 for the No1 overall

Therefore we might find ourselves possibly offering our R1, a R3 and the R1 in 2013 (or maybe an extra R3 in 2013) to move up especially if a team fancies Barkley or Jones for example.

Furthermore, we might be surrounded by teams who have only recently spent a R1 on a QB or who like us have a serviceable QB but desperate need of another player - next year could be the year of the OT with the likes of Matt Kalil, Jonathan Martin and Riley Reiff around.

I think most would agree we are more than one draft away from a competitive team and adding a pine rider with a high draft pick will not help this

Extremebillsfan247
03-29-2011, 04:32 AM
Pickles was a douche and everyone knew it.Couldn't have come up with a better analogy myself. Great post. JMO lol funny too.

ddaryl
03-29-2011, 07:22 AM
Gabbert and Newton have larger hands

Buckets
03-29-2011, 08:50 AM

Because everyone on the Zone said this years crop of QB's would be much better.