PDA

View Full Version : After watching Nix and Gailey...

T-Long
03-28-2011, 08:44 PM
I truly believe a QB will be chosen at #3. They both kept saying over and over again how it's not very often a team is picking at #3 in a draft and they can not pass up a franchise QB there. I just can't see them going anywhere else with their pick at this point.

Did anyone else get that same feeling?

BillsWin
03-28-2011, 08:49 PM
Haven't watched the interviews yet. But from what I gather from recent comments, if we think one of them is a legit franchise guy he is as good as picked.

Dr. Lecter
03-28-2011, 08:51 PM
There will not be a franchise QB at #3 in this draft

DraftBoy
03-28-2011, 08:59 PM
I actually got the exact opposite. But then again I also take everything they say as a complete falsehood.

X-Era
03-28-2011, 08:59 PM
There will not be a franchise QB at #3 in this draftI think their opinion may be different.

DraftBoy
03-28-2011, 09:02 PM
I think their opinion may be different.

I really hope not, more people I talk to, more I look at others opinion more I think this 2002 all over again.

Dr. Lecter
03-28-2011, 09:03 PM
I think their opinion may be different.
Their opinion is wrong

X-Era
03-28-2011, 09:03 PM
I truly believe a QB will be chosen at #3. They both kept saying over and over again how it's not very often a team is picking at #3 in a draft and they can not pass up a franchise QB there. I just can't see them going anywhere else with their pick at this point.

Did anyone else get that same feeling?I would tend to agree. I think they telegraphed their thoughts last year on Spiller... But I will say that they seem to be telegraphing much more this year... It could be legit, but how early and often makes me wonder if it couldn't be a bit of deception.

I think the most likely plan for deception would be to a) think Carolina takes a QB at 1, and b) Someone would trade to #2 for the other QB... it would be a play to ensure that Dareus drops. But that's a total guess.

The Jokeman
03-28-2011, 09:04 PM

I think it was telling that Ryan Fitzpatrick didn't play the season finale. Yes he was hurt but still he wasn't hurt enough that it would have mattered if he played or not. I think Gailey learned in the finale that Brohm didn't have what it took to startin the NFL and why he got the boot. Levi did looks good on hist first two throws but throwing an INT didn't help his cause. The talk of franchise QB scares me because Gailey didn't have franchise QBs in Pittsburgh with Kordell Stewart or Jay Fiedler in Miami or even Tyler Thigpen in KC. He did have one in Dallas but Aikman, a pocket QB, didn't really fit in with his offense. Which tells me that Newton seems to be a guy we're going to go for and it sickens me. As I just don't see Newton excelling in the NFL. As all the reports talk about his great athletic ability yet to me it seems that the great QBs of today (Peyton, Brady and Brees) more of product of intense study and understanding of the game where Newton seems to more of a react to what he sees on the field instead of preparing to defeat a team.

X-Era
03-28-2011, 09:05 PM
Their opinion is wrong:lol: I love flagrant gamblers.

DraftBoy
03-28-2011, 09:05 PM
I would tend to agree. I think they telegraphed their thoughts last year on Spiller... But I will say that they seem to be telegraphing much more this year... It could be legit, but how early and often makes me wonder if it couldn't be a bit of deception.

I think the most likely plan for deception would be to a) think Carolina takes a QB at 1, and b) Someone would trade to #2 for the other QB... it would be a play to ensure that Dareus drops. But that's a total guess.

You know better than to buy into this telegraphing idea.

X-Era
03-28-2011, 09:08 PM
You know better than to buy into this telegraphing idea.Honestly, it feels like the Bills do it quite a bit... I remember Winfield, A. Smith, I think even Clements... Each was someone we were rumored/known to be very high on. And last year I don't think anyone was shocked by the Spiller pick. It's conjecture on my part, I admit.

DraftBoy
03-28-2011, 09:13 PM
Honestly, it feels like the Bills do it quite a bit... I remember Winfield, A. Smith, I think even Clements... Each was someone we were rumored/known to be very high on. And last year I don't think anyone was shocked by the Spiller pick. It's conjecture on my part, I admit.

Every year players A-Z are rumored, that doesnt mean the team tipped their hand though. Remember last year the pick was not Spiller actually, it was Clausen the whole way.

The Jokeman
03-28-2011, 09:17 PM
Honestly, it feels like the Bills do it quite a bit... I remember Winfield, A. Smith, I think even Clements... Each was someone we were rumored/known to be very high on. And last year I don't think anyone was shocked by the Spiller pick. It's conjecture on my part, I admit.
I don't know if you meant to pick different players with different regimes of the team or not but your right. And despite all these regimes what was the common thread? Ralph Wilson. Wilson's already gone on record saying he feels we should take a QB and if feels like he's "convinced" the people beneath him we should take a QB.

scartown
03-28-2011, 09:17 PM
I will be really surprised if they go QB at 3. I still think they go front 7.

X-Era
03-28-2011, 09:18 PM
Every year players A-Z are rumored, that doesnt mean the team tipped their hand though. Remember last year the pick was not Spiller actually, it was Clausen the whole way.I just think we may be a bit more prone to giving indications of our pick than other teams. If my memory serves (and it doesn't always) the Buffalo News seemed to nail the prediction based on what they were hearing in several of the situations I described. I could be totally wrong... let's watch closely this year and see what happens.

Extremebillsfan247
03-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Their opinion is wrongTheir opinions matter on draft day though, the Fan's opinions do not. lol Just saying.

Dr. Lecter
03-28-2011, 09:20 PM
Every year players A-Z are rumored, that doesnt mean the team tipped their hand though. Remember last year the pick was not Spiller actually, it was Clausen the whole way.
Not for everybody!

scartown
03-28-2011, 09:20 PM
I don't know if you meant to pick different players with different regimes of the team or not but your right. And despite all these regimes what was the common thread? Ralph Wilson. Wilson's already gone on record saying he feels we should take a QB and if feels like he's "convinced" the people beneath him we should take a QB.

Ralph also said he doesn't wan't to reach for a QB at three as well.

Prov401
03-28-2011, 09:22 PM
There will not be a franchise QB at #3 in this draft

Untrue. Mallett will be a franchise QB. But at 3, Peterson/Dareus/Miller are of better value.

Alex Smith 2.0, I mean Blaine Gabbert will fail in this league.

Newton is too risky.

Please Buddy, do not choose a QB at 3. Please.

X-Era
03-28-2011, 09:25 PM
Not for everybody!
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=3215421&postcount=3

:up:

X-Era
03-28-2011, 09:26 PM
Actually quite a few nailed it.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=3215421&highlight=spiller#post3215421

Dr. Lecter
03-28-2011, 09:27 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=3215421&postcount=3

:up:
I get one right once in awhile.

The Jokeman
03-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Ralph also said he doesn't wan't to reach for a QB at three as well.
Ralph is a shrewd business man who's knows he's going to be unveiling a new uniform and what better way to sell uniforms but to get a new face of the franchise than Cam Newton? As he could sell a helluva lot more Newton or Gabbert uniforms than that of a D-line /LB or CB. Remember last time we made a uniform change, who was the big guy than? Yep Drew Bledsoe. I so hope I'm wrong but again just have an ill feeling that we're going to see Cam Newton holding up a new Bills jersey on April 28th.

scartown
03-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Ralph is a shrewd business man who's knows he's going to be unveiling a new uniform and what better way to sell uniforms but to get a new face of the franchise than Cam Newton? As he could sell a helluva lot more Newton or Gabbert uniforms than that of a D-line /LB or CB. Remember last time we made a uniform change, who was the big guy than? Yep Drew Bledsoe. I so hope I'm wrong but again just have an ill feeling that we're going to see Cam Newton holding up a new Bills jersey on April 28th.

For all our sakes I hope you're wrong too. :)

THE END OF ALL DAYS
03-28-2011, 09:41 PM

WTF
why do people think they have the supreme knowledge to say **** like this? You dont know dick about if gabbert will fail or succeed.

these kind of bs statments just show ignorance. period.

kingJofNYC
03-28-2011, 11:01 PM
They keep throwing the word "franchise" QB anytime the subject is brought, fairly obvious, though it does seem to me that it's their out clause.

Media: "Why didn't you take a QB?

Nix: "There wasn't a franchise QB available."

/end

Prov401
03-28-2011, 11:32 PM
WTF
why do people think they have the supreme knowledge to say **** like this? You dont know dick about if gabbert will fail or succeed.

Don't get your panties in a bunch silly boy. It's called an opinion. Calm down and whip out a maxi pad for yourself. Seriously.

I believe.. me.. right here.. I believe Gabbert, the guy that came from absolutely nowhere once Luck dropped out.. the guy who against four top-35 defenses (Nebraska, Texas, Oklahoma State and Navy) completed just 46.3 percent of his attempts for an average of 208.5 yards and lost all four games... the guy who has no touch at all.. the guy who can't hit anything past 15 yards... that guy.. I believe that guy will not succeed in this league. And you should absolutely, without a doubt, 100%, unquestionably be GREAT to be selected at #3.

Does my opinion count? Clown.

Take a page out of your boy Stevie J's book... why so serious

BertSquirtgum
03-28-2011, 11:35 PM
WTF

not if it's true.....

NOT THE DUDE...
03-29-2011, 01:32 AM
Don't get your panties in a bunch silly boy. It's called an opinion. Calm down and whip out a maxi pad for yourself. Seriously.

I believe.. me.. right here.. I believe Gabbert, the guy that came from absolutely nowhere once Luck dropped out.. the guy who against four top-35 defenses (Nebraska, Texas, Oklahoma State and Navy) completed just 46.3 percent of his attempts for an average of 208.5 yards and lost all four games... the guy who has no touch at all.. the guy who can't hit anything past 15 yards... that guy.. I believe that guy will not succeed in this league. And you should absolutely, without a doubt, 100%, unquestionably be GREAT to be selected at #3.

Does my opinion count? Clown.

Take a page out of your boy Stevie J's book... why so serious

the falcons and lions would differ with stafford and ryan. both of those qbs were not great college players, they were projected quite a bit. especially ryan stats and talent wise.

Prov401
03-29-2011, 02:04 AM
the falcons and lions would differ with stafford and ryan. both of those qbs were not great college players, they were projected quite a bit. especially ryan stats and talent wise.

Matt Ryan threw for 4,500 yards and 31 TD's his Senior year. He was already thought to have been one if not the highest QB taken in that draft. He didn't just come out of left field in February where not one single person knew who the hell he was.

And Stafford has shown glimpses but are you really trying to say he has panned out for the Lions? I think he'll have a decent career if he can stay healthy.

Again, what makes me angry about goldie locks is he came out of nowhere. He comes from a spread offense which allows QB's to flourish, yet he put up average numbers against average opponents.

All the Gabbert lovers.... Sell him, please. I want to know why your drooling over this kid. Why do you wish to set the Bills back another 4 years?

Player 1
3722 Yards – 68% completion 8.76 YPT 28 TD’s 4 picks 161 QB rating…

Player 2
3186 Yards – 63% completion 6.71 YPT 16 TD’s 9 picks 127 QB rating..

Player 1 is Jimmy Clausen (junior year)

Player 2 is Blaine Gabbert (junior year)

Tell me why the Bills should choose Blaine Gabbert. Please, anybody.

Gabbert Facts: 45% Completion percentage on 3rd down. 6.7 yards per attempt. The guy cannot hit a receiver past 15 yards, this is well documented.

Buffalo doesn't need a guy who can't throw deep. Why the hell would you want somebody playing up in Buffalo who cannot hit anybody past 15 yards?

I could be wrong.. .I could. But I'm pretty confident in Gabbert not being a great QB. And with the 3rd overall pick in the NFL draft, I want a great player. Someone who will be in the pro-bowl almost every year. A game changer. A leader. We can't strike out this year. It just cannot happen. I want the closest player to a 'sure thing' as possible. At 3, we are going to have a shot at either Dareus, Peterson, or Miller. I can only hope one of them is a Bill after April 22nd.

Extremebillsfan247
03-29-2011, 03:32 AM
Here is what I took from that presser. Judging by the talk, we are taking a QB in this draft. The question now is who will it be? Based on the number of times these prospects have met up with team personnel, I think the QB is either Newton, or Ponder. I don't see Gabbert being in the picture even though he has a scheduled visit here. I think the Bills want Newton at 3. If Newton gets picked up by Carolina though, I'm pretty sure that the Bills will take Von Miller in the first, and grab Ponder in the second. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Miller, Ponder scenario actually played out on draft day. JMO

Yasgur's Farm
03-29-2011, 03:44 AM
Just for the record... I don't believe players come "out of nowhere", "shoot up the board", nor "drop like a rock". I believe all of that is no more than "analyst", reporters, and fans like us catching up with pro scouts.

That said... I believe Gabbert has always held top 10 status with the scouts long before any of us knew.

I'd take Newton or Gabbert at #3... I'd also be happy with Dareus, Miller, or Fairley and then Mallet, Locker round 2.

Night Train
03-29-2011, 04:44 AM
My understanding from those on the inside walls of OBD is that Nix is the one who is looking hard at QB's while Gailey is more concerned with other areas of need.

alohabillsfan
03-29-2011, 05:13 AM
SMOKESCREEN!, There are (2) top 10 QB's in the draft. Carolina, Arizona, Cinncy, SF, Wash, and Minn are rumored to be wanting either Newton or Gabbert. If Carolina takes either, then a team trades in front of us to take the remaining QB and we get Dareus or they trade with us (presuming Dareus was taken by Denver), and we can gather more picks and take a Jordon. I hope this is there plan!

Extremebillsfan247
03-29-2011, 05:34 AM
SMOKESCREEN!, There are (2) top 10 QB's in the draft. Carolina, Arizona, Cinncy, SF, Wash, and Minn are rumored to be wanting either Newton or Gabbert. If Carolina takes either, then a team trades in front of us to take the remaining QB and we get Dareus or they trade with us (presuming Dareus was taken by Denver), and we can gather more picks and take a Jordon. I hope this is there plan!
Denver will take Dareus if Carolina doesn't. There is no doubt about that. The only way I see Newton not ending up in Buffalo is if Carolina takes him #1 overall which means we will probably go with Von Miller at 3, and Ponder at 34.

tampabay25690
03-29-2011, 06:01 AM
This is getting interesting...............
#3 pick and we have about 6 different guys being drafted by the Bills..........
I think we will all be at the edge of our seats when the Bills draft in 4 weeks.......
I have NO CLUE what so ever what the Bills will do.........

X-Era
03-29-2011, 06:04 AM
This is getting interesting...............
#3 pick and we have about 6 different guys being drafted by the Bills..........
I think we will all be at the edge of our seats when the Bills draft in 4 weeks.......
I have NO CLUE what so ever what the Bills will do.........The beauty is, theres only one guy I wouldn't feel great about at 3. And even then I wouldn't hate it. cough-Fairley-cough.

tampabay25690
03-29-2011, 06:09 AM
The beauty is, theres only one guy I wouldn't feel great about at 3. And even then I wouldn't hate it. cough-Fairley-cough.

Really......
He reminds me a bit of Warren Sapp IMO.......
I watch more and more on him and I owuld luv him and his mean streak in Buffalo....Would make a great 3 man rotation Fairley, Williams, Troup........

better days
03-29-2011, 06:32 AM
Really......
He reminds me a bit of Warren Sapp IMO.......
I watch more and more on him and I owuld luv him and his mean streak in Buffalo....Would make a great 3 man rotation Fairley, Williams, Troup........

I can see the comparison. Steve Dumig of WDAE Tampa gave Sapp the nickname Fatso his rookie year because he was out of shape & did not work hard.

Sometime between his rookie & sophomore year, a light went on for Sapp & he realized he would have to work if he wanted to be a great NFL player. The question is will that light ever go on for Fairley.

DraftBoy
03-29-2011, 07:23 AM
Actually quite a few nailed it.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=3215421&highlight=spiller#post3215421

Yes but to be fair pull the perdiction threads from the end of March.

Saying the Bills tipped their hands and we all knew back days before the draft is a worlds difference from saying they've now tipped their hands in late March.

trapezeus
03-29-2011, 08:15 AM
i don't buy anything anyone says until the commissioner is on stage announcing the pick.

i really hope the bills don't take a qb. the bills scored more than enough points last year and ran a competent offense. the defense was a joke. it's amazing how when you consistently do something atrocious, it loses its wonder. 8, 200+yards rushing allowed. if it happened once in a decent season you wouldn't forget it. but it happened 8x. The bills also gave up 30+ points, 8 times.

The writing is on the wall to take defensive stud. and even then the bills will still be picking in the top 15 next year. i hope that carolina and denver take what we are thinking and force us into taking a defensive player.

Bill Cody
03-29-2011, 03:29 PM

I think they want to. Pretty badly really. They are very very open to being convinced that Newton or Gabbert is a franchise QB. I think these visits are basically job interviews for both. My guess is Gabbert goes #1. So if Newton impresses Nix and Gailey with his football IQ I think he will be a Bill. Pretty simple really.

McBFLO
03-29-2011, 04:09 PM
As all the reports talk about his great athletic ability yet to me it seems that the great QBs of today (Peyton, Brady and Brees) more of product of intense study and understanding of the game where Newton seems to more of a react to what he sees on the field instead of preparing to defeat a team.

Yeah, Vick, Big Ben, et al.... they suck.

JCBills
03-29-2011, 04:33 PM
Yeah, Vick, Big Ben, et al.... they suck.

Vick improved 100x when he stopped listening to the voice in his head that said "run" every time his first read was covered. Ben can get a few yards on a scramble, but his second-to-none pocket awareness and ability to make extremely quick decisions with the football are what help him win.

I'm really not a fan of this year's QB class. If it were up to me, the earliest I would look QB is Stanzi in the 4th as someone to develop. Next year's crop is interesting, especially if some of the top juniors declare.

McBFLO
03-29-2011, 04:44 PM
Vick improved 100x when he stopped listening to the voice in his head that said "run" every time his first read was covered. Ben can get a few yards on a scramble, but his second-to-none pocket awareness and ability to make extremely quick decisions with the football are what help him win.
Gailey is known for being a coach who can get a lot of of his QBs, no? (Fitz) Isn't it possible that he's the right coach to take on this QB? And what better QB to sit behind for a year or 2 than Fitz?

McBFLO
03-29-2011, 04:50 PM
I guess what I'm saying is, if there's an ideal situation for him to go in, it's here. There isn't the HUGE media throng for him to worry about. He'd be less like to become"Hollywood" in small-market Buffalo (as opposed to MY, Miami, etc). He'd have a chance to sit behind a genius of a QB in Fitz, a QB-friendly HC who's had a proven track record of success working with, and getting the most out of QBs, and I think his running ability could play to the Bills advantage when the whether gets tough here.

Oldbillsfan
03-29-2011, 05:23 PM
I don't care who they pick, as long as they don't screw it up

starrymessenger
03-29-2011, 08:39 PM
Untrue. Mallett will be a franchise QB. But at 3, Peterson/Dareus/Miller are of better value.

Newton is too risky.

Please Buddy, do not choose a QB at 3. Please.

The dilemma that all Mallett fans must face (and I am one) is that if they truly believe what they say -that he is a franchise guy- then there is no better value at #3.

ublinkwescore
03-30-2011, 09:34 PM
The way I am looking at this draft, we have to take the guy who will help us the most, and who they feel will be the least likely to be a bust - Marcel Dareus is my pick if he's still there at 3. if he's gone, I don't know - maybe Blaine Gabbert if they've got a good feeling about him - otherwise, BPA on D and wait til the second to grab a QB - Christian Ponder.

TigerJ
03-31-2011, 10:28 AM
If they are not blowing smoke, the choice of a QB is sounding more and more likely. It's virtually impossible to determine conclusively whether they are blowing smoke or not.