PDA

View Full Version : Is Von Miller Really That Good?

Mike
03-28-2011, 09:23 PM
I have seen a lot of excitment over Miller. Some even predict him going #3 overall to Bills. A few month ago, Fairly, Darius, Peterson, Green, were firmly in the top. It seems Miller might even be first Defensive Player off the board (could happen).

Anyway how good is this guy? Who does he compare to?

In the last few years, there have been a number of top 10 pics at LB that turned out to be average to good, but not great. What makes this guy different?

Who would you want:
-assuming Darius is off the board:
1) Fairly
2) Peterson
3) Miller
4) Top DE available/anyone DE you like

TacklingDummy
03-28-2011, 09:46 PM
I'm starting to lean towards Tyron Smith, OL, USC.

better days
03-28-2011, 09:48 PM
If Dareus is gone, I can see the Bills take Miller at #3.

BillsWin
03-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Miller is a stud he plays intense but it is also his leadership that will pave way to a long, successful career. He has the opportunity to be a starter from day one and not only rush the passer but anchor the run D on the outside as a smart, physical player. I would love him to be our pick.

justasportsfan
03-28-2011, 11:30 PM
no to OL. What has Long done for miami?

Blacksheep71
03-29-2011, 12:30 AM
Da'Quan Bowers as he has the size and versatility to allow us to play both a 3-4 and 4-3 defense

Extremebillsfan247
03-29-2011, 03:49 AM
I have seen a lot of excitment over Miller. Some even predict him going #3 overall to Bills. A few month ago, Fairly, Darius, Peterson, Green, were firmly in the top. It seems Miller might even be first Defensive Player off the board (could happen).

Anyway how good is this guy? Who does he compare to?

In the last few years, there have been a number of top 10 pics at LB that turned out to be average to good, but not great. What makes this guy different?

Who would you want:
-assuming Darius is off the board:
1) Fairly
2) Peterson
3) Miller
4) Top DE available/anyone DE you like Miller had 28 sacks in 2 seasons. That's a big number from a percentage standpoint. Front 7 talent like that usually trumps DBs by level of importance to a defense considering you build from the inside out. Fairley might have been above Miller if it were not for the fact that Fairly only had one good year while Miller was more consistent. JMO

tampabay25690
03-29-2011, 05:55 AM
Im starting to think more and more that Von Miller will be selected by Buffalo.
I just have a feeling....
Just look at the avatar.........

don137
03-29-2011, 06:21 AM
I have heard some experts say he is a clone to Derrick Thomas. I have not seen him play much but if that is true any team would be crazy to pass on a guy with that kind of ability.

TacklingDummy
03-29-2011, 06:41 AM
no to OL. What has Long done for miami?
Filled their tackle spot for years to come?

DraftBoy
03-29-2011, 07:24 AM
He's very talented and if he can take his talent and make a complete game out of it then he has unbelievble potential. He's also a massive risk and likely has the biggest bust factor of all the top 10 players being considered.

Dr. Lecter
03-29-2011, 07:28 AM
He's very talented and if he can take his talent and make a complete game out of it then he has unbelievble potential. He's also a massive risk and likely has the biggest bust factor of all the top 10 players being considered.

I would disagree - Newton has at least as big of a bust factor.

DraftBoy
03-29-2011, 07:30 AM

Yes and no, but its a different. Newton has the skills to be a good QB, with Miller we arent even sure he has LB skills. He didnt play LB in college, he played a hybrid ROV/LB/DE position which allowed him to roam all over the field pre-snap. People are moving him to LB because he's too small to play DE in a 4-3 or 3-4 and they are hoping he can learn the discipline to be an NFL caliber LB.

Newton we know can play the QB position and has the skill set to at least perform there, we honestly dont know that about Miller yet.

don137
03-29-2011, 07:56 AM
Are you saying he could be another Aaron Maybin?

Extremebillsfan247
03-29-2011, 07:59 AM
He's very talented and if he can take his talent and make a complete game out of it then he has unbelievble potential. He's also a massive risk and likely has the biggest bust factor of all the top 10 players being considered. He's by far the best pure linebacker in this draft. Both Gabbert, and Newton are higher risks than he is. In fact, there isn't a likely bust factor in this whole draft bigger than Cam Newton. Everyone who follows football knows that.

patmoran2006
03-29-2011, 08:01 AM
Doug Farrar from F.O. compares him very much to Clay Matthews. Others as Don say, compare him often to Derrick Thomas. The pro's is that he has the ability to wreak major havoc on an offense.

There are two potential cons on Miller from what people say. One is his size is a concern over the long haul. The other is that he may not be a great fit with the Bills already having Merriman, Moats and Kelsay. (I don't even count Maybin ,he'll be cut before next season). How do you have Miller and Merriman (not to mention Moats) on field at same time if Shawne is 100%?

He's very intriguing and don't exclude the possibility of Miller because first and foremost Nix wants top end talent. But DL or possibly Peterson seem more realistic, at least to me.

Pinkerton Security
03-29-2011, 08:32 AM

And made them one of the most physical and best run-blocking lines in football. Anyone who wouldnt want Jake Long is on crack.

better days
03-29-2011, 08:43 AM

Yeah, instead of grabbing a franchise QB.

TacklingDummy
03-29-2011, 08:43 AM
As does Gabbert.

better days
03-29-2011, 08:44 AM
And made them one of the most physical and best run-blocking lines in football. Anyone who wouldnt want Jake Long is on crack.

I don't think anyone is saying they would not want him, but Miami could have made better use of that pick.

TacklingDummy
03-29-2011, 08:45 AM
Yeah, instead of grabbing a franchise QB.
The problem is there isn't one worthy of the risk at #3. Newton/Gabbert will both be busts.

The Bills are better off waiting until the 2nd preferable the 3rd round to draft a QB. At least if that QB turns out to be a bust the Bills didn't waste a 1st rounder on him.

better days
03-29-2011, 08:46 AM
Doug Farrar from F.O. compares him very much to Clay Matthews. Others as Don say, compare him often to Derrick Thomas. The pro's is that he has the ability to wreak major havoc on an offense.

There are two potential cons on Miller from what people say. One is his size is a concern over the long haul. The other is that he may not be a great fit with the Bills already having Merriman, Moats and Kelsay. (I don't even count Maybin ,he'll be cut before next season). How do you have Miller and Merriman (not to mention Moats) on field at same time if Shawne is 100%?

He's very intriguing and don't exclude the possibility of Miller because first and foremost Nix wants top end talent. But DL or possibly Peterson seem more realistic, at least to me.

I would not worry about Moats. He can go to the bench.

Extremebillsfan247
03-29-2011, 09:12 AM
The problem is there isn't one worthy of the risk at #3. Newton/Gabbert will both be busts.

The Bills are better off waiting until the 2nd preferable the 3rd round to draft a QB. At least if that QB turns out to be a bust the Bills didn't waste a 1st rounder on him. Risk is a part of the game, if your too scared to take them, you might as well never leave the house. This is just an analogy pointing out that no matter who you pick, or at what position you pick for at 3, there is going to be some risk involved, like it or not. Only those who never take chances, never have a shot at succeeding. Just saying.

tampabay25690
03-29-2011, 09:33 AM

Lecter I agree with you as well....
But I also think CAM could be the best pick in the draft as well.....

I know you aren't a huge CAM fan but I think buffalo and Chan Gailey is the best fit for him.......
You have to look at FUTURE potential as well......
This may be a risk the Bills look at......

bigfish2112
03-29-2011, 09:43 AM

He's very intriguing and don't exclude the possibility of Miller because first and foremost Nix wants top end talent. But DL or possibly Peterson seem more realistic, at least to me.And you think merriman is going to play all 16 games your lucky to see him play half the games this year. Merriman is a gamble it may pay off for the bills it may not. Getting to the QB is a big priority for the bills this year miller is the best OLB in this draft this would be my pick.

justasportsfan
03-29-2011, 10:00 AM
never said I wouldn't want LOng but there are bigger needs right now. A high draft offensive tackle isn't going to be on the field if we can't stop the run. The steelers made it to the sb with a bills reject, Jonathan Scott. The fins would have more wins if they took Flacco over Long.

better days
03-29-2011, 10:03 AM

The Bills are better off waiting until the 2nd preferable the 3rd round to draft a QB. At least if that QB turns out to be a bust the Bills didn't waste a 1st rounder on him.

I agree, but Ryan was thought to have franchise potential much more than any QB in this draft.

TacklingDummy
03-29-2011, 10:05 AM
never said I wouldn't want LOng but there are bigger needs right now.
QB is not one of them. Long term QB? Sure. Next year? Not at all.

Pass on QB this year. If Fitz stinks, draft Luck, Barkley, or next years Gabbert/Newton.

DraftBoy
03-29-2011, 10:38 AM
Are you saying he could be another Aaron Maybin?

Im not prepared to compare the two. At the very least Miller has a full year exp playing with his hand up which Maybin didn't. Both are very athletic players but are so very different in their style of play that I believe the comparisons should end there.

DraftBoy
03-29-2011, 10:39 AM
He's by far the best pure linebacker in this draft. Both Gabbert, and Newton are higher risks than he is. In fact, there isn't a likely bust factor in this whole draft bigger than Cam Newton. Everyone who follows football knows that.

Id disagree, Bruce Carter, and Martez Wilson are the two best "pure LB" in this draft. Miller has more potential then either though.

Any who knows and understands scouting knows that Miller is a big time risk, especially top 5. He's a Boom or Bust prospect without question.

justasportsfan
03-29-2011, 10:42 AM
QB is not one of them. Long term QB? Sure. Next year? Not at all.

Pass on QB this year. If Fitz stinks, draft Luck, Barkley, or next years Gabbert/Newton.

I am not saying take a qb. Just saying I'd rather go D than OL in the first.

Tatonka
03-29-2011, 11:02 AM

we already have one maybin.. we dont need another.

Ingtar33
03-29-2011, 12:23 PM
Yes and no, but its a different. Newton has the skills to be a good QB, with Miller we arent even sure he has LB skills. He didnt play LB in college, he played a hybrid ROV/LB/DE position which allowed him to roam all over the field pre-snap. People are moving him to LB because he's too small to play DE in a 4-3 or 3-4 and they are hoping he can learn the discipline to be an NFL caliber LB.

Newton we know can play the QB position and has the skill set to at least perform there, we honestly dont know that about Miller yet.

i'll disagree... while he does rush 80% of the time, he's standing up, rushes from everywhere on the line (oddly i think he's a better inside pass rusher then outside), and does drop into coverage.

he's not a 43 end... he's closer to a 34 OLB then a 43 end.

My concerns about him are more about his tackling technique... which isn't great.

Derrick Thomas is a good comparison... the only issue i have with it is Derrick Thomas had a much faster jump on the snap then Miller does.

DraftBoy
03-29-2011, 12:25 PM
i'll disagree... while he does rush 80% of the time, he's standing up, rushes from everywhere on the line (oddly i think he's a better inside pass rusher then outside), and does drop into coverage.

he's not a 43 end... he's closer to a 34 OLB then a 43 end.

My concerns about him are more about his tackling technique... which isn't great.

Derrick Thomas is a good comparison... the only issue i have with it is Derrick Thomas had a much faster jump on the snap then Miller does.

I just hate his pre-snap roaming because like you point out he rushes from outside and inside, he wont have that ability in our defense. To me his positioning and pre-snap awareness are not where I want them to be for me to take him at 3.

Ingtar33
03-29-2011, 12:32 PM
I just hate his pre-snap roaming because like you point out he rushes from outside and inside, he wont have that ability in our defense. To me his positioning and pre-snap awareness are not where I want them to be for me to take him at 3.

True he won't be able to freelance as much, but generally in the 34 an olb will be rushing from a lot of different locations.

not our 34 for some reason, but in most functional 34s this is the case.

Our defense had the most unimaginative and uncreative front 7 i've ever seen from a 34 defense, in some ways it was less creative then some 43 defensive fronts i've seen. Which makes no sense, because if you're not going to use the advantages of the 34, then why are you running it?

DraftBoy
03-29-2011, 12:34 PM
True he won't be able to freelance as much, but generally in the 34 an olb will be rushing from a lot of different locations.

not our 34 for some reason, but in most functional 34s this is the case.

Which is why I mention it as an issue. We run a very rigid 3-4, positioning wise, which is somewhat odd.

Night Train
03-29-2011, 03:01 PM
I don't want another OLB. Bills need DL & ILB.

JCBills
03-29-2011, 03:05 PM

With our needs? That would still leave a hole at RT, Bell lacks the strength / mauler style you would want there.

Extremebillsfan247
03-29-2011, 03:25 PM
Id disagree, Bruce Carter, and Martez Wilson are the two best "pure LB" in this draft. Miller has more potential then either though.

Any who knows and understands scouting knows that Miller is a big time risk, especially top 5. He's a Boom or Bust prospect without question. They are all boom or bust prospects, If they were not, there wouldn't be a need for scouting in the first place.

DraftBoy
03-29-2011, 03:27 PM
They are all boom or bust prospects, show me one that isn't.

Every year there are picks considered much safer than others. Bradford was considered one of those this past draft, Dareus this year. You know that.

Extremebillsfan247
03-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Every year there are picks considered much safer than others. Bradford was considered one of those this past draft, Dareus this year. You know that.Even Dareus has bust potential regardless of how safe a pick he may look.

DraftBoy
03-29-2011, 03:30 PM
Even Dareus has bust potential regardless of how safe a pick he may look.

I didnt say players did or did not have bust potential. I said some had higher than others. Miler's is extremely high.

Jeff1220
03-29-2011, 09:01 PM
Wouldn't it be awesome if Van Miller was still calling games that included Von Miller. That would just blow my mind. lol.