PDA

View Full Version : About Cam Newton.....

PTI
03-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Fake smile, not dependable, late for meetings, disengenious, "So Charming, it is Alarming"

From pro Football Weekly.

Colin Cowherd is all over it today and talking about the Bills a lot saying the Bills or Jags should still take him, they are never going to Super Bowl contenders again and should really still just take him to sell tickets and it won't hurt either team if he is a complete bust.

I agree with Cowherd, but I hope we can still be a Super Bowl team again sometime, Newton can be devastating, in a good or bad way.

Ebenezer
03-30-2011, 10:52 AM
Can we just pray that the Panthers take him and we don't have to worry or hear another word about him?

HAMMER
03-30-2011, 10:52 AM
Here is more Buffalo Bashing, scroll down to the comments below story. Hide Thrums keyboard.
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/275230-bills-to-draft-against-need?eref=fromSI&eref=fromSI

Bangarang
03-30-2011, 10:54 AM
I cringe whenever I hear Collin speak. He tries way too hard and is a complete moron. Did he really just say that it won't hurt us if our 3rd overall pick is a bust?

Novacane
03-30-2011, 10:56 AM
It won't hurt the Bills if Newton is a complete bust? Cowherd is an idiot!

Novacane
03-30-2011, 10:57 AM
I cringe whenever I hear Collin speak. He tries way too hard and is a complete moron. Did he really just say that it won't hurt us if our 3rd overall pick is a bust?

I can't listen to him. Every once in a while I'll tune in and it takes him about 5 minutes to drive me crazy with his high pitched squeal. That goodness for Sirius radio!

PTI
03-30-2011, 11:01 AM
It won't hurt the Bills if Newton is a complete bust? Cowherd is an idiot!

The logic is the Bills are no longer a true franchise that can really compete at a high level, and Newton will at least sell tickets, bring hype, and perhaps get the Bills on TV nationally. With the decade of fail, I do not see how any of those things are not true. I love the Bills, I hope we just somehow get better no matter who we take (even though I want a QB).

Novacane
03-30-2011, 11:06 AM
The logic is the Bills are no longer a true franchise that can really compete at a high level, and Newton will at least sell tickets, bring hype, and perhaps get the Bills on TV nationally. With the decade of fail, I do not see how any of those things are not true. I love the Bills, I hope we just somehow get better no matter who we take (even though I want a QB).

The logic is wrong. We have not sucked for 10 years because we play in small market Buffalo. We have sucked because our drafts have sucked. Buffalo can compete again if they start picking the right players. You don't pick a guy just to sell tickets and who cares if he's a bust! Cowherd is an idiot.

DraftBoy
03-30-2011, 11:10 AM
The logic is wrong. We have not sucked for 10 years because we play in small market Buffalo. We have sucked because our drafts have sucked. Buffalo can compete again if they start picking the right players. You don't pick a guy just to sell tickets and who cares if he's a bust! Cowherd is an idiot.

You do if you need the revenues. Im not saying take Newton, but Cowherd's point is far off base. The Bills need to energize their fan base and a pick like Newton does that immediately. If he fails in three years then who cares because he made the team relevant again if only for a little while.

Im not saying I buy it or agree with it, but I do understand the point he is conveying on this.

Novacane
03-30-2011, 11:14 AM
If he fails in three years then who cares because he made the team relevant again if only for a little while.

Nix and Gailey becaue they'll both get fired if he busts.

DraftBoy
03-30-2011, 11:16 AM
Nix and Gailey becaue they'll both get fired if he busts.

They could get fired for 1,000 different things. Again not saying I agree with Cowherd but he does make a solid point.

Bill Cody
03-30-2011, 11:25 AM
The base will be energized by winning. We need substance not hype. There are plenty of potential reasons to draft Newton but selling tickets can't be high on the list.

DraftBoy
03-30-2011, 11:28 AM
The base will be energized by winning. We need substance not hype. There are plenty of potential reasons to draft Newton but selling tickets can't be high on the list.

Sorry but you're talking about fans and a fanbase (general not just Bills), which by definition is often illogical and overly emotional. Hype is all it ever takes to energize a fanbase, substance is what keeps that energy going.

justasportsfan
03-30-2011, 11:40 AM
You do if you need the revenues. Im not saying take Newton, but Cowherd's point is far off base. The Bills need to energize their fan base and a pick like Newton does that immediately. If he fails in three years then who cares because he made the team relevant again if only for a little while.

Im not saying I buy it or agree with it, but I do understand the point he is conveying on this.

I would lean more to winning to create revenues . Bring in players (Dareus) who will help us win and the fan base will be energized.

Bill Cody
03-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Sorry but you're talking about fans and a fanbase (general not just Bills), which by definition is often illogical and overly emotional. Hype is all it ever takes to energize a fanbase, substance is what keeps that energy going.

If you go by this site's take on Newton the fan based will be more angry than energized. In fact the man is a lightning rod for criticism, some of which is totally understandable, some not so much. Newton would come here to a pretty skeptical fan base. Sure we'd all rally around the pick for a bit but a guy like Dareus would probably get more people fired up.

DraftBoy
03-30-2011, 11:50 AM
If you go by this site's take on Newton the fan based will be more angry than energized. In fact the man is a lightning rod for criticism, some of which is totally understandable, some not so much. Newton would come here to a pretty skeptical fan base. Sure we'd all rally around the pick for a bit but a guy like Dareus would probably get more people fired up.

If you by the sites take you shouldnt watch football. The hack job PFW did is basically a insult to scouting and journalism.

I guarantee you pick Newton he sells more jerseys and creates more buzz locally and nationally than Dareus would. Do you disagree with that statement?

That's before a snap is even taken.

DraftBoy
03-30-2011, 11:52 AM
I would lean more to winning to create revenues . Bring in players (Dareus) who will help us win and the fan base will be energized.

We aren't talking about winning and losing though. What Newton offers (and what Cowherd's point) is that before the lockout is even over, before camp, the preseason, or the season...Buffalo is again in the national spotlight. Everyday is about the Bills and Newton locally. The Sabres could go to the friggin cup and still the local news would do stuff about the Bills and Newton (maybe not first, but they would still get plenty of play) that's what his point is about "energized". He doesnt even have to complete a pass or toss a touchdown before the town and team will feel his impact.

You just cant say that about Dareus and Im his biggest supporter here.

Novacane
03-30-2011, 11:55 AM
Of course he would create more buzz and sell more jerseys. Seeing as he probably would play only in a wildcat formation next season the buzz won't last. I doubt we're drafting him so it will be a mute point.

DraftBoy
03-30-2011, 11:56 AM
Of course he would create more buzz and sell more jerseys. Seeing as he probably would play only in a wildcat formation next season the buzz won't last. I doubt we're drafting him so it will be a mute point.

So then you actually agree with Cowherd's point.

From the buzz angle, not that they should draft him.

BuffaloBlitz83
03-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Cowherd is the Biggest Idiot on ESPN far before these comments. Auto change channel or turn knob. He isn't talented enough to even play the heel role as GOD I HATE YOU SO MUCH I"LL LISTEN TO SAY WHAT ******ED THING YOU SAY NEXT.

Bill Cody
03-30-2011, 11:57 AM
If you by the sites take you shouldnt watch football. The hack job PFW did is basically a insult to scouting and journalism.
No I mean Billszone. I bet less than 20% want us to draft Newton.

I guarantee you pick Newton he sells more jerseys and creates more buzz locally and nationally than Dareus would. Do you disagree with that statement?

it's possible but I think we'd need to see what happened to the rest of the draft before we'd know that and also how Cam handled things. If we got a Dareus and then later another QB and had an overall consensus great draft that would do more IMO than Newton and a bunch of other questionable choices. Even if you said in both cases we drafted well overall I still would say it's not clear cut. Bills fans want to win. We're a pretty intelligent group and we know what's what.

DraftBoy
03-30-2011, 12:01 PM
No I mean Billszone. I bet less than 20% want us to draft Newton.

it's possible but I think we'd need to see what happened to the rest of the draft before we'd know that and also how Cam handled things. If we got a Dareus and then later another QB and had an overall consensus great draft that would do more IMO than Newton and a bunch of other questionable choices. Even if you said in both cases we drafted well overall I still would say it's not clear cut. Bills fans want to win. We're a pretty intelligent group and we know what's what.

Dont confuse the most vocal and consistent voices with having the majority of voices.

Not playing the if game, my question was pretty basic and straight forward and is the crux of Cowherd's point (which btw has nothing to do with W or L).

Novacane
03-30-2011, 12:01 PM
So then you actually agree with Cowherd's point.

From the buzz angle, not that they should draft him.

I understand his point but I don't agree with it. He say's who cares if Newton busts because you get short term buzz and national attention? That's no way to build a team. His whole point is based on his belief that Buffalo can never win again. I disagree wholeheartedly with that.

DraftBoy
03-30-2011, 12:03 PM
I understand his point but I don't agree with it. He say's who cares if Newton busts because you get short term buzz and national attention? That's no way to build a team. His whole point is based on his belief that Buffalo can never win again. I disagree who wholeheartedly with that.

That's cause he's an idiot, my point and his (1st part) is strictly about national attention and buzz generation. Its really that simple for Colin, he's that shallow about some things and he openly admits it.

Novacane
03-30-2011, 12:08 PM
That's cause he's an idiot, my point and his (1st part) is strictly about national attention and buzz generation. Its really that simple for Colin, he's that shallow about some things and he openly admits it.

Yes, I agree it would get us buzz and national attention. He must think we long for him to consider us relevant again lol. I'd rather win. I'm used the national media ignoring Buffalo.

tampabay25690
03-30-2011, 12:12 PM

You said it best.......
I LUV the Bills as well...
1 thing fans don't realize is Western NY loses people everyday to relocate.
Some will say there is still great jobs in the area and yes you are right but they are far and few between.
The cost to go to a Bills game is very cheap and OBD has done a great job keeping the prices down.......
This City and franchise needs a spark. I luv the direction Chan and Buddy are headed. Hopefully this will fill the seats again every game......

tampabay25690
03-30-2011, 12:14 PM

It should be....
Selling tickets makes Ralph Wilson stadium what opposing teams hate.......CRAZY..
I will be honest I was at the opener last year and made another game.
Was the quietest I ever heard the stadium.
We need that swagger back when teams go to the Ralph.......

If Cam Newton is there at #3 I think the Bills will make Cam Newton there pick........

Mr. Miyagi
03-30-2011, 12:22 PM
:rofl: Colin Cowturd is is complete moron. What a stupid reason to draft Newton. I bet Cowturd would score even lower than Cam Newton in Wonderlic.

trapezeus
03-30-2011, 12:28 PM
go for hype and you might get some local buffalo fans to buy back into it.

win a championship and the bandwagon grows.

who was a saints fan before they won it all? now you see their jersey's everywhere.

i think american football fans respect talent. people will buy merchandise of a good team and good players...That's sustainable. the brady and manning jersey's sell all the time. the vince young jersey's moved during his rookie year.

i know it's a business, but it's a business because the game is good. respect the game, and the business will come.

Ed
03-30-2011, 03:48 PM
I think Cowherd makes a valid point. The Bills have been one of the most irrelevant teams for 10+ years now. And over that time we have drafted very poorly. If you're a national media guy, what reason do you have to believe that that's going to change any time soon? So I think his main point is that if you're going to continue to draft poorly and use top picks on busts like Mike Williams and Aaron Maybin, then you might as well make a huge splash on a guy like Newton because the general perception is that they're going to f*** it up anyway.

It's like the T.O. signing. We would have been bad with or without T.O. but that signing sold tickets and merchandise and energized the fan base.

The Jokeman
03-30-2011, 06:56 PM

A lot of my recent posts agree with what your saying and that's what scares me so much as to think we will take Newton. As to me it represents that Ralph Wilson and his group of yes men continue to view the Bills as a business venture and not a football team.

YardRat
03-30-2011, 08:51 PM
Drew Bledsoe and Willis McGahee put Buffalo back on the national map again momentarily...How'd that work out?

This team doesn't need another PR gimmick/pick to get back to the national stage in lieu of a winning program.

I'd rather create a buzz by winning than signing a pseudo-celebrity that will just continue the mediocrity of the last decade.

Philagape
03-30-2011, 09:15 PM
Drew Bledsoe and Willis McGahee put Buffalo back on the national map again momentarily...How'd that work out?

This team doesn't need another PR gimmick/pick to get back to the national stage in lieu of a winning program.

I'd rather create a buzz by winning than signing a pseudo-celebrity that will just continue the mediocrity of the last decade.

Not to mention Terrell Owens

T-Long
03-30-2011, 09:24 PM
could never listen to the guy. Get yourself Sirius NFL Radio and you'll never turn on ESPN Radio again. This is coming from a guy who has worked for ESPN Radio for years.

HAMMER
03-30-2011, 09:50 PM
could never listen to the guy. Get yourself Sirius NFL Radio and you'll never turn on ESPN Radio again. This is coming from a guy who has worked for ESPN Radio for years.

I love your new avatar T.

BuffaloBlitz83
03-30-2011, 10:05 PM
***** Cowherd pissed his pants when he got pranked by Brock Lesnar. Funny ****, he looked scared lol Look at his eye contact too ha ha.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/r6hEfHWGsK8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bill Cody
04-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Dont confuse the most vocal and consistent voices with having the majority of voices.

I don't think so. I'll make a poll and we'll see.

HAMMER
04-01-2011, 11:46 AM
:rofl: Colin Cowturd is is complete moron. What a stupid reason to draft Newton. I bet Cowturd would score even lower than Cam Newton in Wonderlic.

A national sports talk guy with a long, and so far successful career, is a complete moron, but a an internet poster that calls him Cowturd is not? Hmmmm.

Bill Cody
04-04-2011, 11:53 AM

Not playing the if game, my question was pretty basic and straight forward and is the crux of Cowherd's point (which btw has nothing to do with W or L).

So far the poll is 28% yes, 72% no. I'd say you're officially wrong.

feldspar
04-04-2011, 02:06 PM

AS far as I can see, the Bills sell tickets anyway.

Tons of people don't want Newton, either. If I had to guess, I'd say that for every fan that buys a ticket only because of Newton, there is another fan that WON'T buy a ticket because of Newton. It's a polarizing issue.

Cowherd's point is stupid. It's based on a train of thought that totally puts this organization down. He gets paid a lot of money to say things like this? He can sit on it.

Success is the only thing that will energize this franchise. The fans aren't THAT stupid. You can only string them along with another gimmick for so long. If you are in it for the long haul, you draft players that will make the team better in the long run, not draft players to put warm bodies in the seats today. On top of everything else, who is going to buy a ticket this year to watch Newton sit on the bench, which would be the most likely thing to happen at first?

Cowherd's comments are extremely short-sighted and just plain dumb. If you think the Bills should draft Newton because he could be a franchise QB, that's different; that should be the ONLY reason why we would draft him. I wouldn't agree with it, but that's just my opinion.

feldspar
04-04-2011, 02:14 PM
A national sports talk guy with a long, and so far successful career, is a complete moron, but a an internet poster that calls him Cowturd is not? Hmmmm.

Yeah, HMMMMMMM.

Does that mean the President of the United States is always right? C'mon now, take a step back.

Extremebillsfan247
04-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Technically speaking, the rules about free agency that changed back in 1993 is what eventually led to this teams downfall. This team almost has to build through the draft. Most big time players who love the spotlight, won't come to a team without a spotlight on it. The way things are structured today, even picking the right players through the draft doesn't guarantee much. A team building through the draft has at most 4, maybe 5 years to make it all work. Once the contract runs out, If he is a good player, but you can't afford his contract, he is gone to another team. Then, even one bad draft can spell disaster for a franchise. Either way, it continues to be a constant evolutionary cycle of change and starting over until we get lucky enough to start winning. JMO

Marvelous
04-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Cam Newton/These QB types scare me. Vince Young,JP Losman, Tyler Thigpen, Tebow etc. Because the mobility is seen by many as a perk, or a PLUS, I am local NFL crew all agree that scrambling QB doesn't mean more. it just means that pure pocket pressence is missing..

--I dunno the T.O.S on this but a icon black QB is a big-deal. a scrub/camp fodder etc is not the same as the top QB in draft etc.. Are we ready to deal w/ the added discriminations & headaches that come with any QB who is in the limelight more then just because he is teh QB O.T.Future..IMO there's gonna be tremendous pressure on that QB if we get him #3 overall. Gabbert or Newton.. JP had pressure and he was the 27-ish overall ppick..not thee top QB..

--imo- Gabbert is not worth the pedigree that we need w/ the #3 overall pick. If it we're Love, or Carson Palmer,Manning, Bradford,Stafford etc, i could see it,, but these two just don't seem good enough to me
--If i did have to pick i'd go w/ Cam Newton because his throwing power & mechanics seem better then Gabberts. & Auburns competition is as tough as it gets..Dunno much bout Missouri's comp...

--OT-Was Spikes from Auburn? Iowa? i forget & dont feel like looking it up..I miss TKO! 1st play of the season Fletcher forced a Tom Brady Fumble & TKO Spikes ran it in for 6.. Holy HOUSE ON FIRE!! Anyways--moving on...