X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NOSaints213
    • Mar 2011

2011 "Experts Mock Draft"

Hey guys. This is my first post here, and yes - I am a Saints fan. Who Dat!?

On saintsreport.com, we do an annual mock draft for the "experts" on the board. Basically, an "expert" is a guy who shows genuine interest and knowledge of the draft, and each guy draws a team. I ended up drawing the Bills, so I wanted to see what you guys think about my draft so far. One important addition - trades are allowed for current year picks only. No future picks and/or current roster players are allowed to be traded.

Let me preface this by saying that the approach I took was one that would build up a great defense that could play to the harsh, cold, outdoor elements. The plan for the team was to build a defense similar to the Ravens, Steelers, Jets, etc. I really feel that, with the elements in Buffalo, your defense could be elite - I wanted to create a defense that would strike fear, so hopefully that explains the methods of picking players. Moreover, I wanted to help further establish the run game, so I kept an eye open for certain OLinemen, TEs, and RBs that would help in that regard. This draft is based 100% on value and potential. Every player that was picked in this draft was a guy has a high ceiling (potential) but just happened to slip through the cracks. I don't think that any of my picks could be considered "reaches."

First, I will post the picks. Then I will post my writeup for each one explaining the pick. Lastly, I will give my own projected depth chart for next year's squad. Here they are:

1) 3rd overall pick, CB Patrick Peterson LSU
    2) 34th overall pick, DE/DT Phil Taylor Baylor
    3) This was a trade down to the 78th overall pick, LT Joseph Barksdale LSU
    4a) The was the other pick (99th overall) that I got in the trade, ILB Mark Herzlich Boston College
    4b) 100th overall pick, OLB/DE K.J. Wright Miss St.
    4c) 122nd overall pick, RB Delone Carter Syracuse
    5) 133rd overall pick, TE Jordan Cameron USC

That is as far as we have gotten. I still have the 6th round pick and the 7th round compensatory pick left. It is a lengthy process that has been going on for more than 2 weeks now. We take it very seriously, and a lot of time and thought went into these picks. Nobody blows it off, so you know that the whole draft process is pretty legit. The feedback from the rest of saintsreport.com has been very good. Honestly, I have been getting messages daily saying how the Bills can only hope to get such a good draft. I wanted you guys to see it and give me some feedback. I hope I didn't disappoint anyone!
  • Ingtar33
    Dances With Buffaloes
    • Sep 2002

Re: 2011 "Experts Mock Draft"

welcome aboard...

looks like you guys had fun. Peterson isn't outside the realm of possibility for the bills to take, though i can assure you, while he's an excellent prospect many of the bills fans on this forum probably would drink themselves into a stupor if that was the actual pick

Generally speaking this football team has one of the worst defensive front 7s you'll see in the league, and i wouldn't be surprised if they went almost completely front 7 in the draft this year.

It looks like you understood some of our needs but not the depth of just how atrocious our front 7 is.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• NOSaints213
      • Mar 2011

With the 3rd pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select CB Patrick Peterson LSU.

How can you pass on this guy? He is a mixture between Primetime and Revis. Peterson Island will be a common phrase amongst all households by 2012. Peterson will allow this defense to do so many different things with the blitz and the run game. The fact that he can completely shut down an entire side of the field makes him an extremely valuable asset. He isn't injury prone, and he is a freak athlete. We feel that he will be a perennial all pro, and he will be a leader for the future that is the Buffalo Bills defense.

In general, the defense has good depth into the later rounds, so we feel like we may be able to address some needs there. The deciding factor was that, for us, Peterson has the talent to go #1 overall, and we just could NOT pass on such unique asset.

Comment

• NOSaints213
        • Mar 2011

With the 34th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select from Baylor University DT Phil Taylor.

The bolded area just about sums it up for us. We feel that Phil Taylor is a rare combination of size/speed, and we think that he will transition well as a DE in our 3-4 system. It comes down to the fact that he is a great run stopper, yet he is athletic enough to rush the passer. We feel that he will pair very well with our current stand out NT Kyle Williams.

We here in Buffalo are trying to create a top notch defense. We sured up the secondary with the Peterson pick in round 1. Now, it is time to provide a BIG boost (pun intended ) to the DLine. There is 1 word to describe NT Phil Taylor - disruptive. The kid is a monster of a human being, and he has an incredibly high ceiling. Taylor really is the whole package, and we feel that he is an absolute STEAL in the early 2nd round.

It's all about staying true to your draft board, and Taylor was very high on ours. The fact that he fell this far is a complete and udder shock; nonetheless, our shock walks hand-in-hand with our extreme delight. Let's just say that things are shaping up nicely for us, and it is a very good day to be a Bills fan!

Comment

• Ingtar33
          Dances With Buffaloes
          • Sep 2002

he had 7 ints in his college career.

don't get me wrong, he'll be a good CB at the next level. but comparing him to primetime and revis is wrong on so many levels... (both players i might note were not drafted in the top 5 picks)
          My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• NOSaints213
            • Mar 2011

With the 78th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select LSU OT Joseph Barksdale.

We were approached with several offers to trade down here, but we felt that with a talent like Barksdale on the board combined with our need for a good OT that this was too good of an oportunity to pass on. Let's just say that we were pleasently surprised when Barksdale slipped this far to us. In 2010, he carried a 1st round grade. He got injured to begin the 2010 season which caused him to drop alot in the standings, but he is 100% now.

Quote:
            Solid size and frame to add bulk
            Long arms
            Very light on his feet
            Fluid, smooth athlete
            Outstanding technician
            A natural knee bender and keeps pads low
            Love his balance and body control
            Patient pass protector; sits in his stance, not over-aggressive
            Displays explosiveness
            Nice range and can be isolated 1v1
            Reacts quickly to counter moves; good instincts
            Understands angles
            Comfortable in space
            Starter in SEC since sophomore year
            Terrific hand punch; keeps hands inside
            Fantastic agility
            Gets solid arm extension
            Moves to second level with ease
            Heavy hands
            Highly consistent in pass protection
            Huge upside and potential
            Durable
            Great skill set for an NFL left tackle

Quote:
            From Walterfootball.com:

I don't understand why Barksdale isn't more well regarded as a 2011 NFL Draft prospect nationally, but I really don't care. I have watched a lot of tape on the most lauded 2010 NFL Draft tackle prospects, and Barksdale's games are easily the best. He has a very high upside and has the raw talent to be an elite left tackle in the NFL with the prototype technique to boot. He needs to prove he can man the blind side as a senior at LSU, but I think when it's all said and done, he will at least go in the first two rounds. I'm giving Barksdale a first-round grade to start the 2010 season and he's my No. 1 offensive tackle prospect for the 2011 NFL Draft.

We feel like this assessment pretty much sums it up. He has potential out of this world, and we feel that he will be an anchor at the position for many years to come. He has a great frame to add a little more weight if need be, he has incredible arms, and he is a very hard worker. He dominated in the toughest conference in college football, the SEC. We liked that he held his own against dominant rushers like Von Miller and Justin Houston, yet he was strong enough to match up with DT Marcel Dareus from Alabama. He is a proven prospect, and we think he could end up being considered an "elite" tackle in this league. We are very excited to get such a steal in the mid 3rd round in Joseph Barksdale.

Comment

• NOSaints213
              • Mar 2011

With the 99th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select LB Mark Herzlich from Boston College.

Steal of the draft? We sure think so! If Herzlich doesn't develop cancer, he is a 1st round pick this year. We didn't expect him to perform well last year. Usually, a player needs a full year or 2 to return to his former status. We feel that Herzlich can start for us from day 1. The fact that we got him in the 4th round is completely astounding to us. We are beyond excited to see what this kid brings to the table at the ILB position in our 3-4. We feel like he is a perfect fit for the position, and we love his fire, tenacity, and straight up love for the game. We feel that Herzlich is an amazing human being, and he will fit into this lockerrom from day 1.

Comment

• NOSaints213
                • Mar 2011

With the 100th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select LB K.J. Wright from Mississippi St.

Sticking the with LB theme, we feel like K.J Wright is realy good value here for us. Again, we are keeping things on the defensive side of the ball. K.J. will pose a great threat to rush the passer opposite to Shaun Merriman. We really don't have much in the way of OLBs on the team, and we feel that Wright should receive a lot of reps next year at the position.

We like the fact that he was extremely productive in the SEC. He has great size for the position with room to add bulk, but the most impressive part of his build are his extremely LONG arms that measured out at 34⅞" (good for longest arms of any LB in the draft this year). We are very excited to get him in the 4th, and we feel that he has a very high ceiling for the position. We think he will be a natural fit in our 3-4 defense.

Comment

• NOSaints213
                  • Mar 2011

With the 122nd pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select RB Delone Carter from Syracuse.

Wow! Look at that chiseled frame. We really thought he would be gone by now, especially with the run on RBs earlier... Let me make a comparrison to our very own 3 man RB by commitee approach: Fred Jackson - Pierre Thomas; CJ Spiller - Reggie Bush; Delone Carter - Chris Ivory. Obviously a lesser version, but you get the picture .

The one thing that the Bills are missing in the running game is a short yardage back. Spiller is the scat back and Jackson is sort of a do it all back, but Carter is the one who can go between the tackles and pick up the tough yards. This kid is really shifty between the tackles. He shows a great burst in short distances, and he is not afraid to lower the old shoulder and lay some wood. He is very stout, and tacklers have trouble tracking him down because of his height. Sure, he isn't going to be busting off 60 yard runs every play, but he still has the ability to do so on occasion. Where we are, late in the 4th round, Carter is hands down the best player available on our board, yet he also fills a huge need.

We are absolutely ecstatic to say the least!

Comment

• NOSaints213
                    • Mar 2011

With the 133rd pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select TE Jordan Cameron from USC.

Jimmy Graham 2.0? We feel that this kid has some of the best potential in the whole draft. Another basketball guy converted to TE, Cameron has rare athletecism and explosiveness for his size - 6'5, 255.

Cameron is still a little raw because of his limited time playing football, but much like Graham, he has potential through the roof. His weakest area is his blocking technique (which can be fixed with a little coaching). He has the size and strength to be a competetive blocker, yet he does possess the frame to add a little more weight if need be. We are excited to work with Cameron. We feel that after a little coaching he will be regarded as one of the best TEs in this year's class.

Comment

• NOSaints213
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Ingtar33
                      welcome aboard...

looks like you guys had fun. Peterson isn't outside the realm of possibility for the bills to take, though i can assure you, while he's an excellent prospect many of the bills fans on this forum probably would drink themselves into a stupor if that was the actual pick

Generally speaking this football team has one of the worst defensive front 7s you'll see in the league, and i wouldn't be surprised if they went almost completely front 7 in the draft this year.

It looks like you understood some of our needs but not the depth of just how atrocious our front 7 is.
                      Thanks man. Trust me haha, I wanted to go all front 7, but there was too much talent that fell for me to draft based just on need in the front 7. Barksdale is a great pickup. Like I said, I draft based on BPA with a slight regard to need - that is what the Saints and Patriots do, and look at how well they draft year in and year out.

Honestly though, Barksdale goes in the 1st round had he not injured himself his senior year. We were all amazed that he ened up recovering so quickly and finished out the year. He will be a rock on the left side for you guys for years to come.

I will address Peterson in the next post.

Comment

• tampabay25690
                        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by NOSaints213
                        Hey guys. This is my first post here, and yes - I am a Saints fan. Who Dat!?

On saintsreport.com, we do an annual mock draft for the "experts" on the board. Basically, an "expert" is a guy who shows genuine interest and knowledge of the draft, and each guy draws a team. I ended up drawing the Bills, so I wanted to see what you guys think about my draft so far. One important addition - trades are allowed for current year picks only. No future picks and/or current roster players are allowed to be traded.

Let me preface this by saying that the approach I took was one that would build up a great defense that could play to the harsh, cold, outdoor elements. The plan for the team was to build a defense similar to the Ravens, Steelers, Jets, etc. I really feel that, with the elements in Buffalo, your defense could be elite - I wanted to create a defense that would strike fear, so hopefully that explains the methods of picking players. Moreover, I wanted to help further establish the run game, so I kept an eye open for certain OLinemen, TEs, and RBs that would help in that regard. This draft is based 100% on value and potential. Every player that was picked in this draft was a guy has a high ceiling (potential) but just happened to slip through the cracks. I don't think that any of my picks could be considered "reaches."

First, I will post the picks. Then I will post my writeup for each one explaining the pick. Lastly, I will give my own projected depth chart for next year's squad. Here they are:

1) 3rd overall pick, CB Patrick Peterson LSU
                        2) 34th overall pick, DE/DT Phil Taylor Baylor
                        3) This was a trade down to the 78th overall pick, LT Joseph Barksdale LSU
                        4a) The was the other pick (99th overall) that I got in the trade, ILB Mark Herzlich Boston College
                        4b) 100th overall pick, OLB/DE K.J. Wright Miss St.
                        4c) 122nd overall pick, RB Delone Carter Syracuse
                        5) 133rd overall pick, TE Jordan Cameron USC

That is as far as we have gotten. I still have the 6th round pick and the 7th round compensatory pick left. It is a lengthy process that has been going on for more than 2 weeks now. We take it very seriously, and a lot of time and thought went into these picks. Nobody blows it off, so you know that the whole draft process is pretty legit. The feedback from the rest of saintsreport.com has been very good. Honestly, I have been getting messages daily saying how the Bills can only hope to get such a good draft. I wanted you guys to see it and give me some feedback. I hope I didn't disappoint anyone!
                        1st of all welcome to Bills Country......

You did a pretty decent job..
                        I luv the 1st 3 picks.......
                        Im 1 of the few that would LUV Patrick Peterson at #3 you get the best player in the draft IMO......
                        Guys are right are front 7 is terrible but 1 guy wont just change that...
                        Depth and a better defense in general does that.....

Phil Taylor I have in my draft as well....
                        Would help fast on are DL....

RB I don't see us drafting....
                        Last edited by tampabay25690; 03-30-2011, 10:33 PM.
                        GO Gators!!!!!!
                        GO GATORS!!

Comment

• NOSaints213
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Ingtar33
                          he had 7 ints in his college career.

don't get me wrong, he'll be a good CB at the next level. but comparing him to primetime and revis is wrong on so many levels... (both players i might note were not drafted in the top 5 picks)
                          Here is my deal. I am an LSU fan, and I have watched Peterson since he arrived. The kid is by far the best player in the draft. Believe me, that is not based on LSU bias... it's really not even a close race - the kid can flat out shut down anyone he guards. He is one of the best pure athletes that I have ever seen, yet he actually knows how to play the game, and he has a phenominal football I.Q.

He is also a film junky which is good news for a CB. He is going to be a great PR and one of the premiere shutdown CBs in the league. There is a reason why he is being discussed as the #1 overall pick in the draft this year. When you have a true star like Patrick Peterson, you don't pass on him for anyone. He is a playmaker, a gamechanger, and will be a HOF player when his career is done.

Comment

• NOSaints213
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by tampabay25690
                            1st of all welcome to Bills Country......

You did a pretty decent job..
                            I luv the 1st 3 picks.......
                            Im 1 of the few that would LUV Patrick Peterson at #3 you get the best player in the draft IMO......
                            Guys are right are front 7 is terrible but 1 guy wont just change that...
                            Depth and a better defense in general does that.....

Phil Taylor I have in my draft as well....
                            Would help fast on are DL....

RB I don't see us drafting....
                            Thanks for the feedback!

I think that if Herzlich at this spot is the steal of the draft. Like I said, if he doesn't develop bone cancer, he is a 1st round pick. Did anyone honestly expect him to recover in a year and play like he did before the injury? No way man! These things take at least a year or 2 to heal. He will be back up to snuff in a year, and you guys will have a very good MLB for the future.

K.J. Wright has some great intangiables - mainly his length which helps out in the blitzing game. He can develop into a monster coming off the edge. He was highly productive in the SEC which says something. If he gains 10 lbs (which he has the frame to do), he will be a starter and playmaker for many years.

Delone Carter is a late 2nd-early 3rd round talent. He was an absolute STEAL in the late 4th. He is a between the tackles guy who can really lay the wood. He will fit in great with Fred and CJ. Now you guys actually have a 3 headed monster.

Comment

• THRILLHO
                              This is great, and all I've done is enter my name!
                              • Feb 2009

I would hope we would draft at least 2 TE's before we even consider a RB.
                              True fans want wins, not draft picks.

Comment

Working...
                              X