PDA

View Full Version : Buddy Nix

better days
03-30-2011, 11:26 PM
I just read an article on ProFootball talk.com about the S.D. draft class of last year. It seems only two of their picks played at all last year for a total of 370 snaps. The least amount of any NFL team.

The Chargers last 3 draft classes have had the 7th fewest snaps in the entire NFL.

Buddy Nix left S.D 3 years ago. Is their poor draft history since Nix left a coincidence? I think not.

jcdavey
03-31-2011, 01:01 AM
what has nix done for the bills drafting?

jcdavey
03-31-2011, 01:11 AM
i mean aside from leading the bills to their worst record since 2001....

and their 2nd worst record in the past 25 years

better days
03-31-2011, 05:04 AM

It is still to early to grade Nix's 1st draft in Buffalo IMO, but I will be surprised if it does not get a grade of B.

elltrain22
03-31-2011, 05:57 AM
He wasn't their GM, he didn't have the last say like he does now, so your point, IMO, is a wash. I'm not a big Buddy Nix supporter or anything, but I'm gonna give the guy 4-5 years, and then make my final decision on whether or not he's doing a good job or not. So far, given the mess Ralph, Modrak, and Trickie Dick left him, I'd say he's doing a pretty darn good job cleaning this roster up.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-31-2011, 07:06 AM
spiller- starter next year
troup- basically a starter in 43
carrington- starter
easley- starter next year
moats- starter next year
batten- could be starter
brown- who knows, could be solid backup....

this was a really solid draft

Yasgur's Farm
03-31-2011, 07:14 AM
Not in Madden world!

k-oneputt
03-31-2011, 07:48 AM
carrington- starter
moats- starter next year
batten- could be starter

spiller- talented but was overdrafted based on the position he plays.
troup- in over his head last year, overdrafted, everyones hoping he can play.
carrington- hope he starts, probably in a rotation, showed signs at end of last year.
easley- who knows. one good college year
moats- has some rush skills. a little overhyped though imo.
batten- who knows, another injury guy
brown- wasted pick. never will be more then a marginal backup if that.

elltrain22
03-31-2011, 07:51 AM
spiller- talented but was overdrafted based on the position he plays.
troup- in over his head last year, overdrafted, everyones hoping he can play.
carrington- hope he starts, probably in a rotation, showed signs at end of last year.
easley- who knows. one good college year
moats- has some rush skills. a little overhyped though imo.
batten- who knows, another injury guy
brown- wasted pick. never will be more then a marginal backup if that.

Spiller- when he puts in together we'll be happy he plays for us
Troup- could be a real good player
Carrington- same as troup
Easley- who really knows, but if he bounces back, he could help us
Moats- did fairly decent as a rookie, and if coached up, could be a good player in this league.
Batten- same as Easley
Brown- not an NFL qb, waste of a pick, but most 7th rd picks are

pretty decent draft, but we'll know more in 3-4 yrs

justasportsfan
03-31-2011, 08:00 AM

thats more of Jaurons doing.

Mr. Miyagi
03-31-2011, 08:37 AM

and their 2nd worst record in the past 25 years Typical short-sightedness and need for instant gratification. :shakeno:

Oh the rookies Nix drafted didn't immediately become superstars. Nix is such a bust.

Buffalo Thriller
03-31-2011, 08:56 AM

Blame Fitzpatrick on that one. AKA Jaurons players.

better days
03-31-2011, 09:25 AM
He wasn't their GM, he didn't have the last say like he does now, so your point, IMO, is a wash. I'm not a big Buddy Nix supporter or anything, but I'm gonna give the guy 4-5 years, and then make my final decision on whether or not he's doing a good job or not. So far, given the mess Ralph, Modrak, and Trickie Dick left him, I'd say he's doing a pretty darn good job cleaning this roster up.

Agreed, Nix did not have final say in S.D. He was however their head scout. The fact is since he left S.D. their draft has sucked. As I said, I don't think that is a coincidence myself.

k-oneputt
03-31-2011, 10:06 AM
Agreed, Nix did not have final say in S.D. He was however their head scout. The fact is since he left S.D. their draft has sucked. As I said, I don't think that is a coincidence myself.

Interesting. Since around here our head scout, Modrak, seems to get a pass by many. Not me. When you are the head of the scouting dept. and your drafts suck your a** should be on the chopping block too.

better days
03-31-2011, 10:11 AM
Interesting. Since around here our head scout, Modrak, seems to get a pass by many. Not me. When you are the head of the scouting dept. and your drafts suck your a** should be on the chopping block too.

Well, maybe Modrak's head was on the chopping block. I think it is very likely that Nix is not only the GM but head scout of the Bills as well.

Nobody knows how much influence Modrak had before nor how much he has now.

k-oneputt
03-31-2011, 10:15 AM
Well, maybe Modrak's head was on the chopping block. I think it is very likely that Nix is not only the GM but head scout of the Bills as well.

Nobody knows how much influence Modrak had before nor how much he has now.

Not a bad job if you can get it. Throw names out to the gm and it doesn't matter if the suck or can actually play. As we know most of them have sucked.

better days
03-31-2011, 11:41 AM
Not a bad job if you can get it. Throw names out to the gm and it doesn't matter if the suck or can actually play. As we know most of them have sucked.

Well, in the past it seems the Bills had better luck with the later picks in the draft. Maybe those were the picks Jauron listened to Modrak about.

EDS
03-31-2011, 11:47 AM
I just read an article on ProFootball talk.com about the S.D. draft class of last year. It seems only two of their picks played at all last year for a total of 370 snaps. The least amount of any NFL team.

The Chargers last 3 draft classes have had the 7th fewest snaps in the entire NFL.

Buddy Nix left S.D 3 years ago. Is their poor draft history since Nix left a coincidence? I think not.

In fairness, SD has had relatively few high picks to work with as they have not had a 2nd round pick in each of the past three years.

I would also note that their drafts have mirroed the Bills in each of the past three years as far as first round picks:

2010 - RB (Matthews outrushed Spiller 678 yards to 283)
2009 - edge rusher (both Maybin and English have been huge disappointments, but English at least has 5 career sacks to 0 for Maybin)
2008 - corner (Cason has 182 career tackles and 8 career ints to 105 and 4 for McKelvin).

Needless to say, the Bills have been picking higher . . .

justasportsfan
03-31-2011, 11:50 AM
carrington- starter
moats- starter next year
batten- could be starter

I like Nix better than Jauron as far as being the decision maker but I wouldnt go that far. It's more like wishful thinking on your part rather than fact.

better days
03-31-2011, 11:52 AM
In fairness, SD has had relatively few high picks to work with as they have not had a 2nd round pick in each of the past three years.

I would also note that their drafts have mirroed the Bills in each of the past three years as far as first round picks:

2010 - RB (Matthews outrushed Spiller 678 yards to 283)
2009 - edge rusher (both Maybin and English have been huge disappointments, but English at least has 5 career sacks to 0 for Maybin)
2008 - corner (Cason has 182 career tackles and 8 career ints to 105 and 4 for McKelvin).

Needless to say, the Bills have been picking higher . . .

Well, if they did not have a 2nd rnd pick in the last 3 years that means Smith traded them away. What did they get in return? Unless it was a player, it was a higher pick that should have been a star.

Ickybaluky
03-31-2011, 12:00 PM
Part of the Charger's problem is they have had fewer picks, and those have come later in the draft.

Looking at recent drafts:

1) San Diego has been a pretty good team. They were 11 -5 in 2007, 8-8 in 2008 and 13-3 in 2009. Thus, the drafts that followed meant they were picking later than they were when they had poor records. It is easier to hit on players when you pick in the top half of each round.

2) San Diego only had 6 picks in the first 3 rounds during that time. When you have fewer picks, it is harder to have success.

3) If you look at when San Diego built the foundation of their current team, they benefitted from good draft position and extra picks. The Vick trade was huge for them as it added extra picks and they still got LaDanian Tomlinson. The Manning trade was also big, as they netted extra picks and still got Phillip Rivers. Add to that some years where they were picking real high, and they got some nice players.

This year, the Chargers have extra early picks, unlike recent years. This is a big draft for them.

Ickybaluky
03-31-2011, 12:03 PM
BTW, there is a lot more to being a GM than just running a draft. Buddy Nix has a lot more responsibility than he did in San Deigo.

In that regard, Doug Whaley may be a much more critical component of draft preparation. It isn't just one guy.

better days
03-31-2011, 12:06 PM
Part of the Charger's problem is they have had fewer picks, and those have come later in the draft.

Looking at recent drafts:

1) San Diego has been a pretty good team. They were 11 -5 in 2007, 8-8 in 2008 and 13-3 in 2009. Thus, the drafts that followed meant they were picking later than they were when they had poor records. It is easier to hit on players when you pick in the top half of each round.

2) San Diego only had 6 picks in the first 3 rounds during that time. When you have fewer picks, it is harder to have success.

3) If you look at when San Diego built the foundation of their current team, they benefitted from good draft position and extra picks. The Vick trade was huge for them as it added extra picks and they still got LaDanian Tomlinson. The Manning trade was also big, as they netted extra picks and still got Phillip Rivers. Add to that some years where they were picking real high, and they got some nice players.

This year, the Chargers have extra early picks, unlike recent years. This is a big draft for them.

Well what was the Chargers record when Butler was GM & Nix was head scout with Marty as HC? Better than it has been the last 3 years I would say.

EDS
03-31-2011, 12:14 PM
Well what was the Chargers record when Butler was GM & Nix was head scout with Marty as HC? Better than it has been the last 3 years I would say.

Marty got them to the playoffs 2 times in 5 years and Turner has had them in the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years . . .

Inheriting Brees and LT didn't hurt Marty and company either.

Ickybaluky
03-31-2011, 12:16 PM
Well, if they did not have a 2nd rnd pick in the last 3 years that means Smith traded them away. What did they get in return? Unless it was a player, it was a higher pick that should have been a star.

They traded their 2008 2nd to Miami for WR Chris Chambers. That actually helped them a great deal in the short-term, but wasn't as good long-term.

They traded their 2009 2nd to NE during the 2008 draft for a 3rd to take FB Jacob Hester. That didn't work out as well, as they originally thought of Hester as a replacement for Michael Turner. He never developed into that, although he plays FB for them. They did this because they traded away their original 3rd as part of the trade-up to select Eric Weddle.

They traded their 2010 2nd as part of the trade up with Miami to pick RB Ryan Matthews.

Nix has a pretty good record with trades, better than most. You win some and lost some,though.

better days
03-31-2011, 01:39 PM
They traded their 2008 2nd to Miami for WR Chris Chambers. That actually helped them a great deal in the short-term, but wasn't as good long-term.

They traded their 2009 2nd to NE during the 2008 draft for a 3rd to take FB Jacob Hester. That didn't work out as well, as they originally thought of Hester as a replacement for Michael Turner. He never developed into that, although he plays FB for them. They did this because they traded away their original 3rd as part of the trade-up to select Eric Weddle.

They traded their 2010 2nd as part of the trade up with Miami to pick RB Ryan Matthews.

Nix has a pretty good record with trades, better than most. You win some and lost some,though.

I think you mean Smith has a good record with trades not Nix. It does not look all that good to me.

The point I was making is if Nix had been head scout in that time the Chargers would have been more likely to pick better players than they did. They did not do well in the draft, any way you want to paint it since Nix left.

jcdavey
03-31-2011, 04:25 PM
I think you mean Smith has a good record with trades not Nix. It does not look all that good to me.

The point I was making is if Nix had been head scout in that time the Chargers would have been more likely to pick better players than they did. They did not do well in the draft, any way you want to paint it since Nix left.
the point is, you're pretty much just another homer

which is fine, but embrace it

better days
03-31-2011, 06:01 PM
the point is, you're pretty much just another homer

which is fine, but embrace it

Just because I am a Bills fan on a Bills board does not make the point I am making any less valid.

Ickybaluky
04-01-2011, 11:13 AM

I don't think you can draw that conclusion at all. How teams do in the draft are not due to one guy, but rather to an overall organizational effort. It isn't about who the GM is or who the personnel director is, it is about how the whole scouting staff works as a team to prepare.

Further, just because a guy comes from a team that had success in the draft, it doesn't mean it carries over to his new team. Just look what happened when Phil Savage and George Kokinis left the Ravens. Heck, look at what happened with Tom Donahoe in Buffalo.

I mean, the Pats have had better drafts in the last couple years than they had toward the end of Scott Pioli being the top personnel guy, but does that mean Pioli wasn't a good GM? Hardly, he was a great one, as the team's success shows. His work in KC so far shows he is on his way to establishing a winning organization there as well. It is about his ability to build an organization that can build a winning team, not his ability to judge players. Great organizations win, not great scouts.

In the end, there are going to be up years and down years in the draft. Look at a guy like Bill Polian, one of the great team-builders of recent vintage. He has had up-years and down-years, but the thing that made him great was his success over a period of time. In the end, his success was his ability to put a strong organization in place, not his ability to judge players alone.

Bill Cody
04-01-2011, 11:23 AM
carrington- starter
moats- starter next year
batten- could be starter

OP would have a field day with this post lol

better days
04-01-2011, 11:29 AM
I don't think you can draw that conclusion at all. How teams do in the draft are not due to one guy, but rather to an overall organizational effort. It isn't about who the GM is or who the personnel director is, it is about how the whole scouting staff works as a team to prepare.

Further, just because a guy comes from a team that had success in the draft, it doesn't mean it carries over to his new team. Just look what happened when Phil Savage and George Kokinis left the Ravens. Heck, look at what happened with Tom Donahoe in Buffalo.

I mean, the Pats have had better drafts in the last couple years than they had toward the end of Scott Pioli being the top personnel guy, but does that mean Pioli wasn't a good GM? Hardly, he was a great one, as the team's success shows. His work in KC so far shows he is on his way to establishing a winning organization there as well. It is about his ability to build an organization that can build a winning team, not his ability to judge players. Great organizations win, not great scouts.

In the end, there are going to be up years and down years in the draft. Look at a guy like Bill Polian, one of the great team-builders of recent vintage. He has had up-years and down-years, but the thing that made him great was his success over a period of time. In the end, his success was his ability to put a strong organization in place, not his ability to judge players alone.

Polian's & Pioli's ability to judge players is the biggest asset they bring to their teams IMO. Agreed no team has a great draft every year but the fact is for the past 3 years since Nix left, the Chargers have had poor drafts.

In the past I was sorry Butler left Buffalo to go to S.D. but now I am happy he did. If he stayed in Buffalo, Smith would most likely be the Bills GM now & I do not think he will prove to be a good GM myself. I do not like how he deals with players on his team for one thing.

Time will tell but I am happy with Nix & think he will prove to be a better GM than Smith.