PDA

View Full Version : The Blacksheep mock draft ....

Blacksheep71
03-31-2011, 01:50 PM
No QB
Only one DL
Only one OLB

but I shall explain my rationale.

(and not trades either)

R1. Da'Quan Bowers, Clemson, RE

I don't think Dareus falls, I like Peterson but there needs to be need to go with BPA. I think both of the top 2 QBs sit in Year 1 and we need someone on the field. Bowers wins over Jordan as he can play a 4-3 DE as well as 3-4DE. His production is questioned but it was only this year he played RE and was sent after the QB .. previously he'd been a LE focusing on stopping the run. He would immediately start.

R2. Kyle Rudolph, Notre Dame, TE

Best at his position in this draft (and likely 2012) as well. No matter how poor the defense we cannot just forget the offense. Rudolph provides an excellent target, and if we perform poorly will be an excellent safety value for our 2012 R1 pick. We've yet to see Carrington and Troup play, and we've also got Edwards and Johnson who if used properly in a 3-4 will be solid. Lets address a position where the locker is empty with 1st round quality

R3. Ras-I Dowling, Virginia, CB

Florence is likely gone, McGee is always injured, Corner whilst ok at nickel is not starting material. Running a 4.40, Dowling brings height (6ft2) to a short secondary.

R4a. Nate Irving, North Carolina St, ILB

We've actually got a few bodies at OLB in Moats and Kelsay, Merriman and Maybin plus Batten. However we are light in the middle behind Poz and Davis with not much talent there. Irving also has the ability to play WLB when we switch to 4-3 occasionally

R4b. Thomas Keiser, Stanford, OLB

A college DE who has gotten after the QB, Keiser may just make us forget the error in not drafting Trevor Scott in 2008

R5. Darius Morris, Temple, RT/RG

A roadgrader from Jersey at 320lbs who can sit outside Wood whether he is at C or RG himself

R6. Darren Evans, RB, Virginia Tech

If not for a blown knee and the emergence of Williams he could have been a 2nd rounder. At 227lb he could be the Thunder if Fred went down to compliment CJs lightning

R7a. Alex Wujciak, ILB, Maryland

More depth at ILB but something different at 255lbs

R7b. Davonte Shannon, SS, Buffalo

If Whitner leaves we've got Joe Corto. I think Shannon could be a sleeper and eventual 7th round safety that other teams seem to draft and start

IMO better DL play including a pass rushing threat will free up our existing OLBs to make more plays. A bit more depth in the middle might be warranted.

But hey, if I'm wrong we'll be selecting Andrew Luck next year. Talk about clouds having silver linings

better days
03-31-2011, 01:54 PM
No QB
Only one DL
Only one OLB

but I shall explain my rationale.

(and not trades either)

R1. Da'Quan Bowers, Clemson, RE

I don't think Dareus falls, I like Peterson but there needs to be need to go with BPA. I think both of the top 2 QBs sit in Year 1 and we need someone on the field. Bowers wins over Jordan as he can play a 4-3 DE as well as 3-4DE. His production is questioned but it was only this year he played RE and was sent after the QB .. previously he'd been a LE focusing on stopping the run. He would immediately start.

R2. Kyle Rudolph, Notre Dame, TE

Best at his position in this draft (and likely 2012) as well. No matter how poor the defense we cannot just forget the offense. Rudolph provides an excellent target, and if we perform poorly will be an excellent safety value for our 2012 R1 pick. We've yet to see Carrington and Troup play, and we've also got Edwards and Johnson who if used properly in a 3-4 will be solid. Lets address a position where the locker is empty with 1st round quality

R3. Ras-I Dowling, Virginia, CB

Florence is likely gone, McGee is always injured, Corner whilst ok at nickel is not starting material. Running a 4.40, Dowling brings height (6ft2) to a short secondary.

R4a. Nate Irving, North Carolina St, ILB

We've actually got a few bodies at OLB in Moats and Kelsay, Merriman and Maybin plus Batten. However we are light in the middle behind Poz and Davis with not much talent there. Irving also has the ability to play WLB when we switch to 4-3 occasionally

R4b. Thomas Keiser, Stanford, OLB

A college DE who has gotten after the QB, Keiser may just make us forget the error in not drafting Trevor Scott in 2008

R5. Darius Morris, Temple, RT/RG

A roadgrader from Jersey at 320lbs who can sit outside Wood whether he is at C or RG himself

R6. Darren Evans, RB, Virginia Tech

If not for a blown knee and the emergence of Williams he could have been a 2nd rounder. At 227lb he could be the Thunder if Fred went down to compliment CJs lightning

R7a. Alex Wujciak, ILB, Maryland

More depth at ILB but something different at 255lbs

R7b. Davonte Shannon, SS, Buffalo

If Whitner leaves we've got Joe Corto. I think Shannon could be a sleeper and eventual 7th round safety that other teams seem to draft and start

IMO better DL play including a pass rushing threat will free up our existing OLBs to make more plays. A bit more depth in the middle might be warranted.

But hey, if I'm wrong we'll be selecting Andrew Luck next year. Talk about clouds having silver linings

Why is it likely Florence is gone? I hope to see him back in Buffalo next year myself.

THATHURMANATOR
03-31-2011, 02:53 PM
I don't hate this mock.

FlyingDutchman
03-31-2011, 03:05 PM
Im not gonna go back n forth with ya again man I respect the time n effort you put into this but I still say if you think the Bills are going to take a TE in the second round, give me the number to your dealer

Night Train
03-31-2011, 03:42 PM
This team has heavy needs on D but one GLARING on Offense...TE. Ask the Pats what 1,2 good TE's can do. 18 TD's to our 1 from the position. A QB's best friend.

Rudolph in Round 2 would not upset me at all...especially if a top D Front 7 player is selected in Round 1.

The rest of the draft will be finding a OT candidate as Nix mentioned and selecting 5-6 total players on D.

FlyingDutchman
03-31-2011, 04:09 PM
This team has heavy needs on D but one GLARING on Offense...TE. Ask the Pats what 1,2 good TE's can do. 18 TD's to our 1 from the position. A QB's best friend.

Rudolph in Round 2 would not upset me at all...especially if a top D Front 7 player is selected in Round 1.

The rest of the draft will be finding a OT candidate as Nix mentioned and selecting 5-6 total players on D.

I agree but dead last against the rush and 27th in sacks leads be to believe that theres no shot in hell we would spend any of our first 5 round draft picks on a TE

T-Long
03-31-2011, 06:26 PM
Remember that Gailey has never been huge on utilizing a tight end, so that's the only pick I see that is unrealistic.

Mahdi
03-31-2011, 06:33 PM

You have to consider how much Gailey uses a TE though. We are going to be running a lot of spread with multiple receivers (Evans, Johnson, Parrish, Nelson, Easley, Jones)

So is it more important to target a TE that early or get another OT or run stuffer or pass rusher? Especially when the value will be high in those areas.

TacklingDummy
03-31-2011, 10:35 PM
Rudolph would be a steal in the 2nd.

clumping platelets
03-31-2011, 11:05 PM
TE is a MAJOR need on this team.

Blacksheep71
04-01-2011, 06:24 AM
You have to consider how much Gailey uses a TE though. We are going to be running a lot of spread with multiple receivers (Evans, Johnson, Parrish, Nelson, Easley, Jones)

So is it more important to target a TE that early or get another OT or run stuffer or pass rusher? Especially when the value will be high in those areas.

Mike Martz was never big on using TEs.

Until mid last season when he finally woke up to what a top TE or even Greg Olsen could do in his offense.

I see Gailey being at least as intelligent as Martz, and if there's a chance to have a top TE on your books he's not going to not take it, especially as Rudolph can be A) one of those receivers and B) the locker is completely empty at TE

Blacksheep71
04-01-2011, 06:29 AM
I agree but dead last against the rush and 27th in sacks leads be to believe that theres no shot in hell we would spend any of our first 5 round draft picks on a TE

Except there is no need to reach to fill these spots.

Bowers is known as run stuffing DE so will help and can also rush the passer. If nothing else he will free up our existing guys to make more plays.

As for stopping the run, starting ILBs are often found on Day3.

Williams will remain at NT, though I'd like to see him at DE allowing Troup to come into the middle .... as I mentioned we've got a few young bodies who need to be looked at properly before we panic and try to draft replacements for guys we've already got ending up with more guys who are no better.

The one place we'd definitely upgrade though would be TE

tampabay25690
04-01-2011, 07:16 AM
I think this is a nice job done.
Im at the edge with Bowers.......
I want to see how he looks today at workout..

DraftBoy
04-01-2011, 07:26 AM
I say we need to draft more lineman but overall its not a bad mock.

Shannon in the 7th makes sense, its a horrific S class and Shannon had a bad year but he's a local kid with good size and decent speed.

Lone Stranger
04-01-2011, 08:07 AM
I would be very happy with this draft.

tampabay25690
04-01-2011, 08:15 AM
Remember that Gailey has never been huge on utilizing a tight end, so that's the only pick I see that is unrealistic.

Luv the avatar

k-oneputt
04-01-2011, 08:21 AM
I say we need to draft more lineman but overall its not a bad mock.

Shannon in the 7th makes sense, its a horrific S class and Shannon had a bad year but he's a local kid with good size and decent speed.

Ahmad Black. If he is still there in the 7th that's the guy to take a flyer on.
Undersized and didn't time well, but he is always making plays and he does it against top competition.

DraftBoy
04-01-2011, 08:59 AM
Ahmad Black. If he is still there in the 7th that's the guy to take a flyer on.
Undersized and didn't time well, but he is always making plays and he does it against top competition.
No thanks on Black, undersized and slow like you mentioned but anhuge product of Florida pressure more so than him knowing where throws were going and making plays. Also not a good tackler, wouldn't draft him in any round.

k-oneputt
04-01-2011, 09:06 AM
No thanks on Black, undersized and slow like you mentioned but anhuge product of Florida pressure more so than him knowing where throws were going and making plays. Also not a good tackler, wouldn't draft him in any round.

We have different opinion then. I see a kid with good instincts and makes plays but lacks the top physical tools.

DraftBoy
04-01-2011, 09:54 AM
We have different opinion then. I see a kid with good instincts and makes plays but lacks the top physical tools.

I saw a kid who took advantage of his surroundings and got a lot of stats because of the coverage that players like Janorris Jenkins provided or because of the pressure that his front 7 got.

Never impressed by Black, always thought he was very overrated.

k-oneputt
04-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Well that all certainly helped, but you have to still close the deal.

For the 7th I wouldn't mind him.
It sure as hell beats a 3rd string qb from Troy.

Bill Cody
04-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Bowers just ran his way out of the top 10. About the only QB he can chase down is Mallet.

DraftBoy
04-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Well that all certainly helped, but you have to still close the deal.

For the 7th I wouldn't mind him.
It sure as hell beats a 3rd string qb from Troy.

Then you must also be a huge fan of Harrison Smith who should also be available in the 7th or Dom DeCicco.

k-oneputt
04-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Then you must also be a huge fan of Harrison Smith who should also be available in the 7th or Dom DeCicco.

They are both slow and should have been playing linebacker. and neither one made any plays that I recall from watching games, but I don't study tape. Just telling you what I recall about them.

DraftBoy
04-01-2011, 10:53 AM
They are both slow and should have been playing linebacker. and neither one made any plays that I recall from watching games, but I don't study tape. Just telling you what I recall about them.

Both made more than their fair share, neither are overly athletic. Smith actually was one the nations leaders in INT's and DeCiccio equaled Black in INT numbers.

The SS I really want in a perfect world in Sash from Iowa, but I dont think we will take him.

k-oneputt
04-01-2011, 10:55 AM
I like Sash, will go way before the 7th though.

FlyingDutchman
04-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Except there is no need to reach to fill these spots.

Bowers is known as run stuffing DE so will help and can also rush the passer. If nothing else he will free up our existing guys to make more plays.

As for stopping the run, starting ILBs are often found on Day3.

Williams will remain at NT, though I'd like to see him at DE allowing Troup to come into the middle .... as I mentioned we've got a few young bodies who need to be looked at properly before we panic and try to draft replacements for guys we've already got ending up with more guys who are no better.

The one place we'd definitely upgrade though would be TE

Again...who said we would be reaching...ill bet anything at 34 there will be players available who many said would go a lot earlier

DraftBoy
04-01-2011, 10:58 AM
I like Sash, will go way before the 7th though.

Agreed and Im not sure we need a SS much before then.