PDA

View Full Version : Bowers Pro Day

DraftBoy
04-01-2011, 09:51 AM
http://twitter.com/#!/draftbreakdown

Will Spencer is on the ground in Clemson, the pro day has started already.

40: 4.9-4.99 and some scouts are over 5.0 on his second attempt.
3 Cone-7.06
Broad-9'2"

Struggling in LB drills, Bryan Cox said out loud, that he was stiff and he could them so Bowers must be really stiff.

This is not the Pro Day Bowers needed right now.

WeAreArthurMoates
04-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Well at least DaQuan is probably going to slip out of the top 10. Robert Quinn is very happy, Bowers just made him some money.

cookie G
04-01-2011, 09:57 AM
I doubt he was going to be an OLB anyways...but 4.9, damn.

Time to redo my short list.

mayotm
04-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Good. I don't want the Bills to draft Bowers.

DraftBoy
04-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Bowers 1 year wonder and poor workout will likely drop him off the Bills board completely.

k-oneputt
04-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Good. I don't want the Bills to draft Bowers.

Well you probably just got your wish. I wonder if his knee is still a problem ?
As already noted, this helps Quinn.

k-oneputt
04-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Bowers 1 year wonder and poor workout will likely drop him off the Bills board completely.

lets not get carried away. It likely dropped him from #3, but if he is sitting there at #34 I'll bet they would take him.

DraftBoy
04-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Bowers weighed in at 277 lbs today, going back to Indy in 2 weeks for a medical re-check of his knee.

NFP had Bowers at 4.85 and 4.92 for his 40's.

DraftBoy
04-01-2011, 10:40 AM
lets not get carried away. It likely dropped him from #3, but if he is sitting there at #34 I'll bet they would take him.

I bet they wouldn't.

Don't forget what Nix said about his thoughts on 1 yr players, and look at his history in SD and with our draft last year.

He wasn't in Clemson today because he was in love with Bowers, I know that for a fact.

DraftBoy
04-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Well you probably just got your wish. I wonder if his knee is still a problem ?
As already noted, this helps Quinn.

Not sure it helps Quinn as much as it helps guys like Aldon Smith and Justin Houston. Quinn's workout was adequate as well which raised questions about his year off and what kind of shape he is in.

Dr. Lecter
04-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Or move him up!!

k-oneputt
04-01-2011, 10:44 AM
I bet they wouldn't.

Don't forget what Nix said about his thoughts on 1 yr players, and look at his history in SD and with our draft last year.

He wasn't in Clemson today because he was in love with Bowers, I know that for a fact.

Well Nix took Easley didn't he.
And he was still in Clemson for something.

Either way that scratched him for #3, and he won't be there at #34 anyways.

k-oneputt
04-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Not sure it helps Quinn as much as it helps guys like Aldon Smith and Justin Houston. Quinn's workout was adequate as well which raised questions about his year off and what kind of shape he is in.

I would say quinn's recent workout was much better then adequate. With his size and recent times.

DraftBoy
04-01-2011, 10:48 AM

He did but Easley also had a terrific off-season to back it up something Bowers is having the exact opposite of.

DraftBoy
04-01-2011, 10:49 AM
I would say quinn's recent workout was much better then adequate. With his size and recent times.

4.57 for a guy whose claimed to run a 4.4, not impressed. Still think he's a top 20 pick but I dont think he made himself any money with his workout.

Bling
04-01-2011, 10:52 AM
I hope the Bills pass on Bowers. Complete stud that would annoy the crap out of the Dolphins

k-oneputt
04-01-2011, 10:53 AM
4.57 for a guy that weighs 265. Are you kidding.

Nix has been talking about pass rush and getting bigger, I'd say he would look good as a 3-4 rush lb.

DraftBoy
04-01-2011, 10:55 AM
4.57 for a guy that weighs 265. Are you kidding.

Nix has been talking about pass rush and getting bigger, I'd say he would look good as a 3-4 rush lb.

Look you got a kid and his agent that claim he can do one thing and when he not only fails to do it, he not only comes close you dont sit there and say youre impressed. He hasnt play a snap in over a year, he's not anywhere near strong enough to handle the POA and his awareness is not ready yet.

Im not against Quinn at all, however to act like his 4.57 is something special just isn't something Im willing to buy on.

k-oneputt
04-01-2011, 10:59 AM
C,mon is there anyone on the planet that weighs 265 and runs a 4.4 ?
4.57 is damn good.
He played plenty of snaps two years ago.
Of course there is some questions with him not playing last year but it's not like he hasn't produced.

DraftBoy
04-01-2011, 11:01 AM
C,mon is there anyone on the planet that weighs 265 and runs a 4.4 ?
4.57 is damn good.
He played plenty of snaps two years ago.
Of course there is some questions with him not playing last year but it's not like he hasn't produced.

Not my issue, dont make stupid ass claims and then fail to reach them. One of my biggest gripes about players and agents doing interviews. Dont over set the bar because you want to look good on the record.

Maybin played plenty of snaps three years ago and put up similar numbers to Quinn, Im supposed to think that matters?

k-oneputt
04-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Do you really believe any scout believed the 4.4 claim ?????????

Quinn has 30 lbs on Maybin.

You talking to Russ again ?

DraftBoy
04-01-2011, 11:08 AM

Not just scouts claiming it. Former coaches, trainers, agents and players themselves.

When you say things to the press and they get reported, you set a standard that you must acheive.

Example Patrick Peterson or Ricardo Lockette at the combine both claimed extraordinary times and failed to deliver it. They still ran blazing 40's but their times are still considered a disappointment because they didnt meat what they claimed.

Speaking of Russ he did just tweet about a DIII WR who should make some noise with his 43" vertical and 4.4 speed.

DraftBoy
04-01-2011, 11:10 AM

Btw at Maybin's Pro Day he ran 4.59 and weighed in at 252, so that 30 pounds remark is way off.

Mahdi
04-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Not my issue, dont make stupid ass claims and then fail to reach them. One of my biggest gripes about players and agents doing interviews. Dont over set the bar because you want to look good on the record.

Maybin played plenty of snaps three years ago and put up similar numbers to Quinn, Im supposed to think that matters?
Not at 265. Maybin was about 250.

4.57 at 265 is fast. Did he run what he said he would? No, but that doesn't discount that Quinn is the best 3-4 OLB available.

k-oneputt
04-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Btw at Maybin's Pro Day he ran 4.59 and weighed in at 252, so that 30 pounds remark is way off.

Nothing like a good cycle before the combine.

You can "claim" anything, but did these scouts believe that 4.4 ? If so, better find some different scouts, or they must have worked for the Bills.

k-oneputt
04-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Who's the d-3 wr ?

djjimkelly
04-01-2011, 01:32 PM

4th round not 3rd pick

just a little bit different scenario

OpIv37
04-01-2011, 01:38 PM
I don't want any guys predicted to go in the top 15 that drop into the 2nd round. See Hardy, James and Posluzny, Paul.

k-oneputt
04-01-2011, 01:39 PM
4th round not 3rd pick

just a little bit different scenario

Thanks for clearing that up.

k-oneputt
04-01-2011, 01:42 PM
I don't want any guys predicted to go in the top 15 that drop into the 2nd round. See Hardy, James and Posluzny, Paul.

You think Bowers is dropping to the 2nd rd, ???

OpIv37
04-01-2011, 01:44 PM
You think Bowers is dropping to the 2nd rd, ???

not likely, but some people in this thread were talking about the Bills taking him at 34, so I'm just throwing that out there. If he does last until the 2nd round, that means every team passed on him once, and there's a reason why the NFL scouts don't evaluate him as high as the draft prognosticators.

k-oneputt
04-01-2011, 01:48 PM
The only way he drops to the 2nd is if his knee is messed up.

We used to have a d-end w/ knee issues.

DraftBoy
04-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Not at 265. Maybin was about 250.

4.57 at 265 is fast. Did he run what he said he would? No, but that doesn't discount that Quinn is the best 3-4 OLB available.

He was over 250 not about 250.

I didnt say it wasn't fast. Look Im not the one who stupidly made a statement to set a bar they couldnt reach. Did I say his workout hurt his stock? No, I simply said it was adequate.

Not great, not bad, but adequate.

DraftBoy
04-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Nothing like a good cycle before the combine.

You can "claim" anything, but did these scouts believe that 4.4 ? If so, better find some different scouts, or they must have worked for the Bills.

Well plenty of players learn every year, best not to claim things you can't do.

DraftBoy
04-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Who's the d-3 wr ?

Robbins from Hardin-Simmons.

k-oneputt
04-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Well plenty of players learn every year, best not to claim things you can't do.

I agree.

But did any scout actually believe a guy 6'4" 265 lbs was gonna run a 4.4 ?

Mahdi
04-01-2011, 02:13 PM
He was over 250 not about 250.

I didnt say it wasn't fast. Look Im not the one who stupidly made a statement to set a bar they couldnt reach. Did I say his workout hurt his stock? No, I simply said it was adequate.

Not great, not bad, but adequate.
So all else aside, yer saying 4.57 at 265 pounds is adequate...?

tampabay25690
04-01-2011, 02:22 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/draftbreakdown

Will Spencer is on the ground in Clemson, the pro day has started already.

40: 4.9-4.99 and some scouts are over 5.0 on his second attempt.
3 Cone-7.06
Broad-9'2"

Struggling in LB drills, Bryan Cox said out loud, that he was stiff and he could them so Bowers must be really stiff.

This is not the Pro Day Bowers needed right now.

Yea heard all day on Sirius...
Bowers did not have a good Pro day at all....
Scouts are saying that his knee is a bigger problem then DaQuan is stating...
STIFF is is the word that most were saying you are right....
I think this just puts him on the outside looking in.......

The CAN'T miss players that everyone is saying right now is....

Pat Peterson, Von Miller, Marcell Dareus, and YES Nick Fairley.........

Some say that Ryan FITZ is a better prospect then Blaine Gabbert.....Right out of Jim Miller and Alez Marvez mouth's today.....They don't think there is a chance that Buffalo takes Gabbert but would take Newton.....

justasportsfan
04-01-2011, 02:41 PM
He did but Easley also had a terrific off-season to back it up something Bowers is having the exact opposite of.

Easely was also drafted in the 4th

Mahdi
04-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Yea heard all day on Sirius...
Bowers did not have a good Pro day at all....
Scouts are saying that his knee is a bigger problem then DaQuan is stating...
STIFF is is the word that most were saying you are right....
I think this just puts him on the outside looking in.......

The CAN'T miss players that everyone is saying right now is....

Pat Peterson, Von Miller, Marcell Dareus, and YES Nick Fairley.........

Some say that Ryan FITZ is a better prospect then Blaine Gabbert.....Right out of Jim Miller and Alez Marvez mouth's today.....They don't think there is a chance that Buffalo takes Gabbert but would take Newton.....
If there is a list of can't miss prospects it does not include Miller or Fairley.

To be a can't miss prospect you have to be dominant for more than 1 year and display elite level technique for your position and possess elite athleticism.

For me they are: Dareus, Peterson, Green, Julio, Amukamara.

k-oneputt
04-01-2011, 02:50 PM
I agree with that list. Except I think Amuk. is a little overrated.
The problem is most play a position we can't take at #3 imo.

We need Carolina to take Newton and dareus to get by denver somehow.

Mahdi
04-01-2011, 02:53 PM
I agree with that list. Except I think Amuk. is a little overrated.
The problem is most play a position we can't take at #3 imo.

We need Carolina to take Newton and dareus to get by denver somehow.
Amukamara had a great career and really showed his elite athleticism at the combine. I think he will go higher than ppl think.

Blacksheep71
04-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Back in 2000, we passed on Darren Howard who had a slow 40time and instead took Erik Flowers .... Howard had a total 62.5 career NFL sacks and Flowers 5.

Football is more than your 40 time. Bowers is of good character, and a student of the game.

He's a one season wonder ONLY because this season was he moved to the right side and allowed to go after the QB ... his all around play previously had been solid.

I'd say a 4.85 and a 4.92 not long after surgery and whilst still a little ring rusty is solid ... yet fans would prefer to consider a guy like Quinn whose not played competitively for a year and has his own health concerns

Go figure

Ginger Vitis
04-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Some say that Ryan FITZ is a better prospect then Blaine Gabbert.....

This is why I am very lukewarm about the possibility of the Bills drafting Gabbert.. Any QB that the Bills would take @3 has to longterm be signifacantly better than Ryan Fitzpatrick..Not just a little bit better..

And getting back to Bowers.. This guy is way too much of a risk to use the 3rd overall pick on..

DraftBoy
04-01-2011, 03:29 PM
So all else aside, yer saying 4.57 at 265 pounds is adequate...?

Yes am I supposed to be impressed by a guy running around with no pads on in a non game situation? Please, I care far more about his 10 yd split, than what he can run in the 40.

tampabay25690
04-01-2011, 03:58 PM
If there is a list of can't miss prospects it does not include Miller or Fairley.

To be a can't miss prospect you have to be dominant for more than 1 year and display elite level technique for your position and possess elite athleticism.

For me they are: Dareus, Peterson, Green, Julio, Amukamara.

Everyone has there own list and no one's is right or wrong.
I was stating what I heard on NFL sirius today by mulitple NFL asscoiates......
Im not saying I agree or disagree at all...

Patrick Peterson is my Can't miss player and has been for a few months now...
Best player in the draft.....

Mahdi
04-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Yes am I supposed to be impressed by a guy running around with no pads on in a non game situation? Please, I care far more about his 10 yd split, than what he can run in the 40.
Im not asking about the relevance of the 40 in football. Im just talking about the 40 itself as a single event.

And 4.57 for a 265 pound DE is fast.

DraftBoy
04-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Im not asking about the relevance of the 40 in football. Im just talking about the 40 itself as a single event.

And 4.57 for a 265 pound DE is fast.

Did I ever in this thread once say it wasn't fast?

Dont confuse my distaste for people making stupid claims for things I clearly never said.

Mahdi
04-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Did I ever in this thread once say it wasn't fast?

Dont confuse my distaste for people making stupid claims for things I clearly never said.
Yes, you said that Quinn running 4.57 was adequate.

DraftBoy
04-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Yes, you said that Quinn running 4.57 was adequate.

And when adequate stars to mean not fast, then you'll be correct. But to act like my comment of Quinn's 4.57 speed being adequate means I called him slow or not fast is ridiculous.

Since you refuse to ask but continue to assume what I mean by "adequate", what I mean is that his 4.57 speed shows that he has the adequate speed needed to play the 34 OLB position. That doesnt mean he's fast or slow, because the idea of running a 40 means little in terms of whose fast or slow on Sundays on the football field.

Please dont assume you know what I mean.

k-oneputt
04-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Ya ok. Cut it however you want. That time for that size of a player is very good.

Captain Obvious
04-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Since you refuse to ask but continue to assume what I mean by "adequate", what I mean is that his 4.57 speed shows that he has the adequate speed needed to play the 34 OLB position. That doesnt mean he's fast or slow,

And yet when you're pimping some undiscovered Division II WR you're always bringing up his 40 time

And for those who want the Bills to draft Robert Quinn..Mike Mayock thought he had a very good to great Proday and that he has elite ablilites so who cares that Draftboy won't admit that Robert Quinn is a great prospect

DraftBoy
04-01-2011, 05:48 PM
And yet when you're pimping some undiscovered Division II WR you're always bringing up his 40 time

And for those who want the Bills to draft Robert Quinn..Mike Mayock thought he had a very good to great Proday and that he has elite ablilites so who cares that Draftboy won't admit that Robert Quinn is a great prospect

I bring up far more than his 40 time, some credit please.

Oh ye of so little faith, if you wanted to know my opinion on Quinn, why dont you just ask?

http://www.optimumscouting.com/rankings/scouting-reports/2011-nfl-draft-scouting-report-robert-quinn.html

Can we stop assuming what my opinion is yet?

While the report on the site doesnt list my projection, if you buy the guide it will, but since I like you all so much my projection is Highest 1st Overall, Lowest 2nd Round.

Mahdi
04-01-2011, 06:41 PM
And when adequate stars to mean not fast, then you'll be correct. But to act like my comment of Quinn's 4.57 speed being adequate means I called him slow or not fast is ridiculous.

Since you refuse to ask but continue to assume what I mean by "adequate", what I mean is that his 4.57 speed shows that he has the adequate speed needed to play the 34 OLB position. That doesnt mean he's fast or slow, because the idea of running a 40 means little in terms of whose fast or slow on Sundays on the football field.

Please dont assume you know what I mean.
Well then that is something else. Adequate speed to play 34 OLB is a different statement than 4.57 is adequate period.

If you mean he has adequate speed for a position then no one will argue. The problem was with the statement you made that his 40 time was only adequate.

And just to note, when yer talking about something which is based on something as tangible as a timed speed and you refer to it as adequate, then essentially you are calling it average. There is no going around this. If you mean something else, that is fine, but you can't blame anyone for misinterpreting your original statement because it can't be taken any other way.

TigerJ
04-01-2011, 07:00 PM
I suspect the slow time is due to the slow recovery from his injury. It drops him for sure, but if he does eventually recover completely, he'll make some team very happy in 2012.