PDA

View Full Version : Study rates Bills worst drafting team of last 5 seasons...

Ickybaluky
04-04-2011, 12:15 PM
Matt Maiocco, who covers the SF 49ers, did a study of the last 5 drafts (2006 - 2010) and rated the Bills #32, or dead last.

Here is what he had to say (http://www.csnbayarea.com/04/04/11/Maiocco-Five-year-study-of-NFL-drafts/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=496960&feedID=5936) about the Bills:

32. BUFFALO BILLS
Number of picks: 43
Still on team: 23
Starters: 8
Best pick: CB Jairus Byrd, 2009
Worst pick: DE Aaron Maybin, 2009

Overall: Especially considering where the Bills have selected these five years, their drafts have been dreadful. They made a huge error in 2009, selecting Maybin two spots ahead of pass rusher Brian Orakpo. Maybin has yet to record a sack in 26 career games. The Bills took Marshawn Lynch at No. 12 in 2007, but traded him for two late-round selections after taking another running back, C.J. Spiller, who might not even be an every-down back, at No. 9 overall last year. The Bills have gotten nothing from defensive tackle John McCargo, the 26th pick in the 2006 draft. Receiver James Hardy, selected No. 41 overall in 2008, caught 10 passes in two years and was released. Byrd made a nice impact as a rookie with nine interceptions, but managed just one in his second season.

OpIv37
04-04-2011, 12:18 PM
No surprise there. There's a reason why we're picking #3 this year.

trapezeus
04-04-2011, 12:21 PM
thank goodness we got a study to prove what we all thought before the 2006 draft.

psubills62
04-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Here's my shocked face:

:shocked:

I have to imagine Sam Bradford is the only thing keeping the Rams from being #32.

Bangarang
04-04-2011, 12:26 PM
In other breaking news, oceans contain water.

Novacane
04-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Maybin is gonna turn that all around this year when he breaks out with 15 sacks!

better days
04-04-2011, 12:41 PM
It is too early to rate last years draft but I think people will see Spiller used much more next year especially as a WR. He may not be an every down back but he can be a game changer.

superbills
04-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Maybin is gonna turn that all around this year when he breaks out with 15 sacks!

Only if he's playing Madden and re-created himself with a 99 rating

TacklingDummy
04-04-2011, 01:06 PM
Study rates Bills worst drafting team of last 5 seasons...
I'd say past 15 seasons.

TacklingDummy
04-04-2011, 01:08 PM
Age wise he's basically a rookie.

Danny Duberstein
04-04-2011, 03:08 PM
Good thing our head of college scouting is still here!

Tom Modrak.....botching the Bills' drafts since 2001 :up:

k-oneputt
04-04-2011, 03:17 PM
Good thing our head of college scouting is still here!

Tom Modrak.....botching the Bills' drafts since 2001 :up:

But, but, but, it's not his fault. Haven't you read all the others threads on this. Even though he is the HEAD OF SCOUTING he somehow doesn't get any blame.

I want a study done on why that Maiocco guy needed to do a study to fiqure this out.

Danny Duberstein
04-04-2011, 03:25 PM
But, but, but, it's not his fault. Haven't you read all the others threads on this. Even though he is the HEAD OF SCOUTING he somehow doesn't get any blame.

I want a study done on why that Maiocco guy needed to do a study to fiqure this out.

Haha, yeah. Didn't you know....he had nothing to do with the Maybin pick. That was all Jauron. Because, as we all know, the Head Coach has final say over any and all draft picks. Not the head scout.

Modrak: "Who was the Defensive Rookie of the Year this year? Brian Cushing? Uh....yeah....I wanted that guy."

EDS
04-04-2011, 03:33 PM

Good news though, the septuagenarian scout he hired a few years back got promoted to GM after a completely non extensive search by Ralph.

k-oneputt
04-04-2011, 03:37 PM
Good news though, the septuagenarian scout he hired a few years back got promoted to GM after a completely non extensive search by Ralph.

I'm convinced Ralph doesn't even care anymore if the Bills win or lose.

As for Nix, I'm still giving him a pass on last years draft {even though I didn't like it}. Now if Troup, Carrington, and Spiller lay another egg this year on top of the upcoming draft.......

justasportsfan
04-04-2011, 03:45 PM
Haha, yeah. Didn't you know....he had nothing to do with the Maybin pick. That was all Jauron. Because, as we all know, the Head Coach has final say over any and all draft picks. Not the head scout.

Modrak: "Who was the Defensive Rookie of the Year this year? Brian Cushing? Uh....yeah....I wanted that guy."

How has Modrak survived as the Bills' playoff drought has reached 11 years? Bills owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr. says it's hard to lay a big share of the blame on Modrak when he has not had the final say on draft choices.

"Well, I think Tom has been with us a long time," Wilson said Wednesday. "He's a hard worker. He knows the game. In the draft, there's no question it's a big disappointment that we haven't had more impact players, players that make a big difference, go to the Pro Bowl. Tom does a good job, but he doesn't make the last call. He puts the [draft] board up. We have a lot of hard-working scouts. But it comes down to making the last decision. That's not Tom."

"Starting with this past draft, it's on me," Nix said. "But Tom has done everything he could do for us since I've been here. He takes a lot of shots, because he's the last one standing. Everybody else is gone. So he's an easy target. But I don't pay any attention to the fans or what people write about that.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article324785.ece

DraftBoy
04-04-2011, 03:46 PM
As had been pointed out countless times Modrak does not make the call on who we take. He sets the board, that's it.

Danny Duberstein
04-04-2011, 03:52 PM
As had been pointed out countless times Modrak does not make the call on who we take. He sets the board, that's it.

Right, so the guy scouting the players takes none of the blame when those players end up sucking?

If we took Maybin in the 1st round, doesn't it stand to reason that Modrak had him on his draft board with a high grade?

k-oneputt
04-04-2011, 03:54 PM

That seems to be the problem, he sets the board.

justasportsfan
04-04-2011, 03:58 PM
That seems to be the problem, he sets the board.

Is there a chance that Jauron or whoever is has the last decision won't follow whats on the board? If he's that bad of an evaluator, I doubt Nix would have kept him on board.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-04-2011, 05:21 PM
You needed a study for this?

NOSaints213
04-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Saints are ranked 2nd!

;) just messin

DraftBoy
04-04-2011, 09:57 PM
Right, so the guy scouting the players takes none of the blame when those players end up sucking?

If we took Maybin in the 1st round, doesn't it stand to reason that Modrak had him on his draft board with a high grade?

I never said he takes none of the blame but just because you set the board, does not mean the people picking will stick to it.

Maybe he had a 1st Round grade on Maybin but maybe it was a 1st-2nd Round grade and Ralph/Marv liked him in an interview or his potential and thought he was worth more than that.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-04-2011, 10:29 PM
YEAH we are the best at being the worst!

Michael82
04-05-2011, 12:40 AM
Why the **** is Modrak still here? :ill:

evol4276
04-05-2011, 01:39 AM
Maybin is gonna turn that all around this year when he breaks out with 15 sacks! when he's playing for the Patriots

Mad Max
04-05-2011, 02:02 AM

Has he been practicing Madden 2011?

Cause that's the only place he has any chance to record 15 sacks.

I even have doubts that he could sack any virtual QB's.

Mad Max
04-05-2011, 02:18 AM
Why the **** is Modrak still here? :ill:

There's a proverb that goes something like "It's a poor carpenter that blames his tools".

Ralph is that carpenter here.

Ed
04-05-2011, 03:48 PM
I think Kyle Williams and Steve Johnson were both better draft picks than Byrd especially considering that we used a 5th and 7th round pick on them.

SABURZFAN
04-05-2011, 05:21 PM
thank you Ralph Wilson :clap:

better days
04-05-2011, 05:43 PM
I think Kyle Williams and Steve Johnson were both better draft picks than Byrd especially considering that we used a 5th and 7th round pick on them.

Well, maybe they are the reason Modrack is still employed by the Bills. Who knows? Maybe Jauron & Company did not listen to him about the higher picks but did about the lower rnd picks.

k-oneputt
04-05-2011, 07:44 PM
You mean focus on the best conference in college football with the late picks and free agents ?
Williams -LSU
Johnson - Kentucky
Nelson - Florida
Coleman-Auburn
Peters - Arkansas - oooppss we traded him for a 1st rd. pick

Mike
04-06-2011, 10:52 AM
32. BUFFALO BILLS
Number of picks: 43
Still on team: 23
Starters: 8
Best pick: CB Jairus Byrd, 2009
Worst pick: DE Aaron Maybin, 2009

Overall: Especially considering where the Bills have selected these five years, their drafts have been dreadful. They made a huge error in 2009, selecting Maybin two spots ahead of pass rusher Brian Orakpo. Maybin has yet to record a sack in 26 career games. The Bills took Marshawn Lynch at No. 12 in 2007, but traded him for two late-round selections after taking another running back, C.J. Spiller, who might not even be an every-down back, at No. 9 overall last year. The Bills have gotten nothing from defensive tackle John McCargo, the 26th pick in the 2006 draft. Receiver James Hardy, selected No. 41 overall in 2008, caught 10 passes in two years and was released. Byrd made a nice impact as a rookie with nine interceptions, but managed just one in his second season.

This is why I dont understand why so many here want us to give them the benefit of the doubt. If anything, it should be the other way around: prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

ddaryl
04-06-2011, 12:35 PM
lets take the drafting data back 10 years or even 15 years and I bet the results change very little.

theanswer74
04-06-2011, 12:39 PM
We haven't made the playoffs in 10 years, who cares about studies.

ddaryl
04-06-2011, 01:19 PM
We haven't made the playoffs in 10 years, who cares about studies.

*translation*

tell us something we don't know

better days
04-06-2011, 06:57 PM
This is why I dont understand why so many here want us to give them the benefit of the doubt. If anything, it should be the other way around: prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

I guess you haven't heard. The Bills hired a new GM last year.