PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Trade Between Bills and Eagles

Bangarang
04-04-2011, 03:20 PM
First, this is not confirmed but it's a slow Monday so here we go. Also, I may not be sure and maybe someone can clarify, but I was under the impression that only draft picks could be traded and not players because there is no CBA in place?

According to the Buffalo Bills section of Pro Football Talk Blog, there have been whispers of a massive trade between the Philadelphia Eagles and the Buffalo Bills.
The trade involves the Eagles trading away their first round pick (23) and their second round pick (54), as well as quarterback Kevin Kolb, to obtain the number three overall pick from the Buffalo Bills.
With the third pick in the 2011 draft, the Eagles would select cornerback Patrick Peterson, arguably the best defensive player available in this year’s draft.

Link: http://www.fanfeedr.com/nfl/2011/04/04/rumors-of-blockbuster-trade-between-philadelphia-eagles-and-buff?utm_term=NFL+NEWS&utm_content=NFL+NEWS&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=FF

THATHURMANATOR
04-04-2011, 03:21 PM
I would definitely do that.

BertSquirtgum
04-04-2011, 03:21 PM
i'm pretty sure i have a soft boner right now.

THATHURMANATOR
04-04-2011, 03:22 PM
I don't know what I feel about Kolb though....

SquishDaFish
04-04-2011, 03:23 PM
Id do it in a heartbeat

trapezeus
04-04-2011, 03:24 PM
if we can move kolb before he ever dons a bills uni, i would be excited for this. if not, then i hope kevin kolb takes number 11 and changes his name to Rob Johnson so that people don't get confused hoping for him to turn the corner for too long.

justasportsfan
04-04-2011, 03:24 PM
but Kolb wants to move to a team where he can start.

BertSquirtgum
04-04-2011, 03:25 PM

me either but to get kolb and still get an extra 2nd round pick as well as still having a 1st round pick, would be amazing. kolb could be great, the eagles thought he would be until vick came out of no where.

ptd86
04-04-2011, 03:26 PM
The NFL owners and players union would have to reach an agreement before the draft for this trade to even possibly happen which means there is no way this is going to happen..

Raptor
04-04-2011, 03:27 PM
cant trade players at this moment

ZAZusmc03
04-04-2011, 03:27 PM
I don't think that would ever happen.

THATHURMANATOR
04-04-2011, 03:30 PM
What to people like DB, Ingtar, Billswin, X-Era think about him? To me he hasn't really done much to warrent all this attention. Certainly no better than Fitz IMO.....

psubills62
04-04-2011, 03:38 PM
I would make that trade definitely, but I seriously doubt it's happening.

Danny Duberstein
04-04-2011, 03:38 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about Kolb, but I'm not sold on Cam or Gabbert, so I'd rather have Kolb and the picks than either of those QB's. If Dareus is off the board at 3, I'd take this trade. If he's there though, I'd rather have him.

k-oneputt
04-04-2011, 03:40 PM
Bad trade.
You pick up an extra second and drop twenty places in the first, along with a qb who really hasn't proven much.
I'd rather go with the top front seven player at #3 and the qb at #34.

Of course that is assuming they don't screw up #3. #3 should be walking in on day one and being a factor.

DraftBoy
04-04-2011, 03:42 PM
What to people like DB, Ingtar, Billswin, X-Era think about him? To me he hasn't really done much to warrent all this attention. Certainly no better than Fitz IMO.....

Id pass, Kolb is unproven and its a huge risk to drop that far in a draft that is lacking talent. At 3 we have a shot at a true playmaker, at 23 we have a chance to hopefully get a starter.

If we do that trade though our selection at 23 needs to be LT Derek Sherrod.

justasportsfan
04-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Just for arguments sake .... Kolb is more proven than any QB thats coming out of this draft , was well coached and given the reigns by a very good coach to be the no.1 qb prior to Vick coming out of no where.

DraftBoy
04-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Just for arguments sake .... Kolb is more proven than any QB thats coming out of this draft , was well coached and given the reigns by a very good coach to be the no.1 qb prior to Vick coming out of no where.

How? He hasn't proven anything other than his ability to get injured and not win his job back. Keep in mind he was handed the job in Philly, he never had to earn it.

BillsWin
04-04-2011, 04:00 PM

That's a big drop in round one for Kolb and a late second round pick. Kolb has his question marks. I like him a lot as a prospect but after his concussion scare and being taken out of a starting spot that was supposedly "his" and the fact that he is pretty unproven I wouldn't pull the trigger on that trade.

It's just too much of a drop in the first round when we have a shot at a true playmaker in the top three.

If we were making a 10 spot drop as opposed to a 20, I might do it.

Kolb has potential, but he's almost as unproven as any rookie QB we could draft.

Figster
04-04-2011, 04:03 PM

Well said, and I like this trade, still going to be some real good players on the board at 54

TacklingDummy
04-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Kolb is injured too much, plus its head injuries.

mikemac2001
04-04-2011, 04:05 PM
That's a big drop in round one for Kolb and a late second round pick. Kolb has his question marks. I like him a lot as a prospect but after his concussion scare and being taken out of a starting spot that was supposedly "his" and the fact that he is pretty unproven I wouldn't pull the trigger on that trade.

It's just too much of a drop in the first round when we have a shot at a true playmaker in the top three.

If we were making a 10 spot drop as opposed to a 20, I might do it.

Kolb has potential, but he's almost as unproven as any rookie QB we could draft.

QB + 1st rd pick 23rd Plus 2nd RD pick for a first rd pick

i honestly feel it is fair

do i think kolb will be good

IDK?

but i don't think its a bad trade

also we need to reach an agreement before this could happen so it smells to fishy to be true.

Joe Fo Sho
04-04-2011, 04:06 PM
We can't trade for Kevin Kolb without a CBA..

The King
04-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Im not sure I like Kolb better than Fitzy. So this is a move for a 2nd round pick IMO.

Prov401
04-04-2011, 04:16 PM
If that trade goes down, the Bills should turn around and trade Kolb to Arizona for their first.

PromoTheRobot
04-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Complete and total BS because players can't be traded without a CBA. Case closed. As for the value, that's a total joke as well because a #3 pick is valued at 2,200 points. Philly could trade us all 8 of their picks (they have two 7th rd comp picks that can't be traded) and the value would only come to 1489 point. Philly's 1st and 2nd picks are 1,120 points. That means Kolb's value would be equal to a #14 pick!! That's just crazy for a back up that has done jack squat. And some of you gripe about the Bills front office??? Anyone who thinks this is a good deal is getting fleeced big time!

PTR

TacklingDummy
04-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Assigning point value to draft picks is so gay. Who came up with that stupid system?

Buddo
04-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Get that darned CBA sorted out now!
I'm not sold on Kolb, by any stretch of the imagination, but if a new CBA is in place, I could easily see us trading him on, to get another pick or two in the first couple of rounds. Maybe even just trade him to the Cards for the #5 pick. ;) - especially if Gabbert and Newton are already gone. Even the Bungles or the 49ers could be possibilities there.
Could easily end up with 2 1st round picks, and two to three second rounders. If all of the depth is on the D-Line in this draft, just use most of those picks on guys to help the D, with either an OT or TE for the O out of them.

Buddo
04-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Complete and total BS because players can't be traded without a CBA. Case closed. As for the value, that's a total joke as well because a #3 pick is valued at 2,200 points. Philly could trade us all 8 of their picks (they have two 7th rd comp picks that can't be traded) and the value would only come to 1489 point. Philly's 1st and 2nd picks are 1,120 points. That means Kolb's value would be equal to a #14 pick!! That's just crazy for a back up that has done jack squat. And some of you gripe about the Bills front office??? Anyone who thinks this is a good deal is getting fleeced big time!

PTR

Sorry, but while you are correct that players cannot be traded atm due to the lack of a CBA, it most certainly does not stop teams from discussing things, in case one does get sorted out before the draft.
If anything, they would be foolish not to be thinking about that scenario.
It's called, 'being prepared'.
While the specific 'rumour', could well be the imaginings of some narcotically deranged blogger, I'd say that teams who aren't actively planning for the possibility that player trades could be made on draft day, are going to be very much left standing at the gate, should it occur.

sdbillsfan2
04-04-2011, 04:41 PM
I'd say make the deal and trade Kolb to SF straight up for the niners first ( #7) or the titans @ 8 The vikings need a qb too.

Just a thought ....only if player trades permitted.

kelly2reed4six
04-04-2011, 04:44 PM

Just trade him for another pick

nolimit
04-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Is it possible that the bills and eagles could agree on this trade now with the wording being the bills trade the #3 overall for the eagles 1st and 2nd rounds picks as well as "future considerations" ie Kevin kolb?

Novacane
04-04-2011, 04:55 PM
I'll take Fitz over Kolb

Ginger Vitis
04-04-2011, 05:03 PM
CBA issues aside..if the Bills did make that trade..and then tried to flip Kolb to another team..I highly doubt a team that has a top 10 pick would give that pick to the Bills straight up for Kolb..

mikemac2001
04-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Is it possible that the bills and eagles could agree on this trade now with the wording being the bills trade the #3 overall for the eagles 1st and 2nd rounds picks as well as "future considerations" ie Kevin kolb?

I don't think they can mention players since they are locked out they might have some loop hole but i don't see that flying

Akhippo
04-04-2011, 05:57 PM
For a guy that routinely throws 300 yard games, and has been offensive player of the week a couple times, I would consider this. Get him a tackle and a TE.

Thurmal
04-04-2011, 06:02 PM

PTR

Thank you. It is an awful trade, but our front office sucks and Philly's is great, so this report is probably accurate.

Jaybird
04-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Ya... How about a CBA first... This is all smoke till that happens

acehole
04-04-2011, 06:19 PM
i'm pretty sure i have a soft boner right now.

Hide it.... Saber or his mom usually and not far behind.

dasaybz
04-04-2011, 06:36 PM
I would definitely take Kolb. That dude is gonna be a beast.

FlyingDutchman
04-04-2011, 06:45 PM
"According to the Buffalo Bills section of Pro Football Talk Blog, there have been whispers of a massive trade between the Philadelphia Eagles and the Buffalo Bills."

Do people need to be reminded what a blog is?....its amazing some of the crap some of you guys will jump all over

FlyingDutchman
04-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Ill help with the confirmation....according to my source, Steve in Tonawanda DID actually say that a trade like this would be "cool".....Ill try to dig deeper to see what he knows

HAMMER
04-04-2011, 06:53 PM
There's that most overused cliche' in sports again.

PTI
04-04-2011, 06:58 PM
DO IT!!

OpIv37
04-04-2011, 07:19 PM
I'm not going to get too worked up over this because

a) it's just a blog post and
b) there won't be any player trades until a new CBA is worked out.

That being said, I think I would be OK with this. I'm not a fan of Kolb at all, but it would give us an extra pick, keep us from making the ultimate mistake in drafting Cam Newton, and still give us a decent first round pick.

better days
04-04-2011, 07:32 PM
CBA issues aside..if the Bills did make that trade..and then tried to flip Kolb to another team..I highly doubt a team that has a top 10 pick would give that pick to the Bills straight up for Kolb..

Why would a team that wants a QB not trade their 1st for Kolb, especially if Carolina takes Newton at #1? I think most people would agree that Kolb is better than Gabbert, so for the #7 or #8 pick would you rather have Gabbert or Kolb?

Ginger Vitis
04-04-2011, 09:12 PM
Why would a team that wants a QB not trade their 1st for Kolb, especially if Carolina takes Newton at #1? I think most people would agree that Kolb is better than Gabbert, so for the #7 or #8 pick would you rather have Gabbert or Kolb?

Teams don't trade Top 10 picks for Qbs who are not established and proven starters.. The last time I think it happened is when the Bills traded the 8th overall pick for Rob Johnson.. And I would rather have Blaine Gabbert

TigerJ
04-04-2011, 11:35 PM
Kolb is a mystery. He's kind of like the carrot that the farmer tied on a string so he could dangle it in front of his donkey's nose to get it to move. I'm not sure I want the Bills to play the role of donkey. He's probably got more ability than Fitzpatrick, but I dont' know how much more. I don't know that he's enough better to pin our hopes on him. At the same time, retaining a first round pick and getting an extra second probably helps the team. The question is, who do you draft at #23? There are several offensive tackles that would be good values at that point: Carimi and Sherrod will probably be on the board still. They could go with Adrian Clayborn, Heyward or Akeem Ayers. Depending on who Buffalo takes at #23 overall, there are cornerbacks, defensive ends and rush linebackers who would be decent values where Buffalo would be using Philly's second round pick. Buffalo could get four starters from the first two rounds of the draft (including Kolb). That's not too shabby.

HAMMER
04-05-2011, 12:04 AM
I'm not going to get too worked up over this because

a) it's just a blog post and
b) there won't be any player trades until a new CBA is worked out.

That being said, I think I would be OK with this. I'm not a fan of Kolb at all, but it would give us an extra pick, keep us from making the ultimate mistake in drafting Cam Newton, and still give us a decent first round pick.

The ultimate mistake? Passing him up could just as easily be the ultimate mistake.

Ickybaluky
04-05-2011, 04:14 AM
Kolb may be work mid-first value, because there is a scarcity of good QBs out there and you pay a premium for a guy who may be able to be one.

When you watch Kolb play he can look impressive. He has 4 career games with a QB Rating over 100. He has good size, is pretty athletic and has a live arm. He has had stretches where he has looked really good, displaying accuracy and command. My biggest criticism of him is he seems to throw some bad interceptions as times, but that shouldn't be unexpected with a young QB. However, his 11-to-14 career TD-to-Int ratio hardly inspires. Still, watching him play you see a guy with potential to start in this league and that gives him great value.

I think the Rob Johnson comparisons are off, because Johnson really hadn't played much when the Bills traded for him. The Bills traded for Johnson after one great start, which was his only play outside of spot duty. Kolb has been in the NFL 4 years and has played more (7 starts in the last 2 years).

That said, I wouldn't trade down that far if I was the Bills. I could see trading down being an option for them to get extra picks, but moving down that far would seem to be giving up on a good chance to get a blue chip player. You just don't get to pick that high all the time. They could move down and get another pick without moving so far. They would have to really be sold on Kolb to move further than that.

Remember, too, that Kolb will have to be signed to an extension. You can't give up that much without signing him long-term, like the Chiefs did with Matt Cassell. Are they comfortable enough to give Kolb a 6-Year/$70M contract with $30M guaranteed? That is the kind of money he is going to want, and he will have leverage if the Bills give up that much to get him.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-05-2011, 04:57 AM
Kolb may be work mid-first value, because there is a scarcity of good QBs out there and you pay a premium for a guy who may be able to be one.

When you watch Kolb play he can look impressive. He has 4 career games with a QB Rating over 100. He has good size, is pretty athletic and has a live arm. He has had stretches where he has looked really good, displaying accuracy and command. My biggest criticism of him is he seems to throw some bad interceptions as times, but that shouldn't be unexpected with a young QB. However, his 11-to-14 career TD-to-Int ratio hardly inspires. Still, watching him play you see a guy with potential to start in this league and that gives him great value.

I think the Rob Johnson comparisons are off, because Johnson really hadn't played much when the Bills traded for him. The Bills traded for Johnson after one great start, which was his only play outside of spot duty. Kolb has been in the NFL 4 years and has played more (7 starts in the last 2 years).

That said, I wouldn't trade down that far if I was the Bills. I could see trading down being an option for them to get extra picks, but moving down that far would seem to be giving up on a good chance to get a blue chip player. You just don't get to pick that high all the time. They could move down and get another pick without moving so far. They would have to really be sold on Kolb to move further than that.

Remember, too, that Kolb will have to be signed to an extension. You can't give up that much without signing him long-term, like the Chiefs did with Matt Cassell. Are they comfortable enough to give Kolb a 6-Year/$70M contract with $30M guaranteed? That is the kind of money he is going to want, and he will have leverage if the Bills give up that much to get him.

the contract would be worked out before the trade takes place...

Extremebillsfan247
04-05-2011, 08:31 AM
First, this is not confirmed but it's a slow Monday so here we go. Also, I may not be sure and maybe someone can clarify, but I was under the impression that only draft picks could be traded and not players because there is no CBA in place?

Link: http://www.fanfeedr.com/nfl/2011/04/04/rumors-of-blockbuster-trade-between-philadelphia-eagles-and-buff?utm_term=NFL+NEWS&utm_content=NFL+NEWS&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=FFThe rumor is false. If the Bills trade down at all, it will be with a team that has one of the top 10 picks, Philly is not one of them. Nix will not go further down from 3rd overall pick than that and has said as much.

don137
04-05-2011, 08:48 AM
I don't believe anything said this time of year by any GM or any rumor/report. The only thing I feel is a fact is Nix does not like one year wonders and will take best player available on their board.

Night Train
04-05-2011, 08:50 AM
Steve in Tonawanda DID actually say that a trade like this would be "cool"...

Could Steve confirm how cool ? He has the most credibility.

Anxiously awaiting reply.

CuseJetsFan83
04-05-2011, 08:52 AM
they can't trade players per se... but kolb could be a chip in the trade as a TBA/future consideration.

better days
04-05-2011, 08:57 AM

I seriously doubt this trade ever happens but if it did, I don't see why a team would not trade the 7th or 8th for Kolb if they need a QB.

Kolb may not have done much so far in the NFL, but he is much more a sure thing than Gabbert.

Night Train
04-05-2011, 09:04 AM
they can't trade players per se... but kolb could be a chip in the trade as a TBA/future consideration.

Agreed..and the magic formula is how valuable is Kolb on a current draft value chart ? Is he seen as a late first / early second ? Then you balance the points out, knowing pick #3 is worth 2200 points and the Eagles or anyone else must pay dearly to move up. An extra 2nd and possibly more, in addition to Kolb.

Then the magic question, is Kolb worth it ? With Gailey having his QB's getting rid of the ball quickly, he's a good idea with an NFL ready guy coming out of a lengthy labor stoppage. Live arm and this O is about 2 reads and out for the QB.

He showed some nice tight window throws in his Philly games. Fitz is still here for the last year of his deal and maybe longer with a new backup QB contract behind Kolb or someone else. Bills could be thinking ahead.

OpIv37
04-05-2011, 09:06 AM
The ultimate mistake? Passing him up could just as easily be the ultimate mistake.

as long as we pick up somebody good with that pick- or get good trade value for it- passing on him is NOT a mistake, even if he turns out to be great. He's high risk, high reward, and we just can't take the risk at this point. It's not worth it.

Extremebillsfan247
04-05-2011, 09:35 AM
Even if I didn't know what I do right now, I would say that trade would be ridiculous. First, Philly isn't just going to give Kolb away. They value him too much and would keep him if they could. They are going to demand a lot in return just for him, and you could bet on that. But, to give him up. plus their first and second rounder for a prospect cornerback is insane. There is no way that is happening. In fact, I'll bet every zonebuck I've got right now that this trade never happens.

HAMMER
04-05-2011, 10:06 AM
as long as we pick up somebody good with that pick- or get good trade value for it- passing on him is NOT a mistake, even if he turns out to be great. He's high risk, high reward, and we just can't take the risk at this point. It's not worth it.

This is a far cry from "the ultimate mistake", which is what you STATED as if you know it will be the case.

k-oneputt
04-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Who cares. This rumor is all bs and will never happen anyways.

mrbojanglezs
04-05-2011, 10:27 AM
this trade is a moot point until the CBA is fixed

CuseJetsFan83
04-05-2011, 10:29 AM
this trade is a moot point until the CBA is fixed

not entirely true.... it is pretty well known that without the CBA you can't trade players for picks and you also cant make a pick and then trade that drafted player.

however... you can have a "gentlemans' agreement" for the roster player and picks..

do i think this rumor is valid... not quite, BUT the eagles seem like they are behind vick 100%

madness
04-05-2011, 10:42 AM
If this were valid, I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat. Kolb is a gunslinger at heart and I think he would flourish under Gailey. You want tough factor? You have to love a QB who goes boar hunting with just a couple dogs and a 12" Bowie knife.

Ickybaluky
04-05-2011, 11:23 AM
not entirely true.... it is pretty well known that without the CBA you can't trade players for picks and you also cant make a pick and then trade that drafted player.

however... you can have a "gentlemans' agreement" for the roster player and picks..

do i think this rumor is valid... not quite, BUT the eagles seem like they are behind vick 100%

Such "gentleman agreements" are allowed by the league before the new CBA is agreed to, and any team doing so would be taking a risk that it would not be binding. I know people have speculated such, but any deal like that the team would be taking a risk that it would not go through, because the league will not consider it binding.

You can't trade players now, period. You can't even trade a player after he is drafted, like the Manning-Rivers swap the Giants and Chargers did a few years back. Once they are picked they are locked out.

Future picks are also traded at risk to the team, because there is no guarantee the draft will be the same.

Really, until the new CBA is negotiated, there is nothing else besides drafted rookies. Even undrafted rookies can't be signed until after the new CBA.

DraftBoy
04-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Such "gentleman agreements" are allowed by the league before the new CBA is agreed to, and any team doing so would be taking a risk that it would not be binding. I know people have speculated such, but any deal like that the team would be taking a risk that it would not go through, because the league will not consider it binding.

You can't trade players now, period. You can't even trade a player after he is drafted, like the Manning-Rivers swap the Giants and Chargers did a few years back. Once they are picked they are locked out.

Future picks are also traded at risk to the team, because there is no guarantee the draft will be the same.

Really, until the new CBA is negotiated, there is nothing else besides drafted rookies. Even undrafted rookies can't be signed until after the new CBA.

To take this point even further, technically speaking the draft is actually a highly illegal event. This last one was part of the old CBA and therefor allowed, but beyond this we aren't actually guaranteed to have one ever again.

Ginger Vitis
04-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Another thing.. Even if a team picking in the Top 10 would give up that pick for Kolb.. The Eagles wouldn't even have to bother trading with The Bills.. The Eagles would trade Kolb to either the 49ers or the Titans..probably miss out on Peterson but they will still get a opportunity to take Amukamara.. And in that scenario they would be a ble to keep there 1st and 2nd round picks..

Ingtar33
04-05-2011, 12:28 PM

never been a big fan of him. He's looked fantastic when he doesn't get pressure, but you put even a little pressure on him and he looks very bad. Look at all his best games. they're almost universally against some of the worst defenses in the league.

that said i don't hate this trade IF it's for the eagles 1st and 2nd and Kolb just for our no.3... i don't hate that trade at all (which i think shows you how much i hate the QBs in this draft AND how much i don't like Fitz)

OpIv37
04-05-2011, 01:49 PM
This is a far cry from "the ultimate mistake", which is what you STATED as if you know it will be the case.

taking Newton is the ultimate mistake. I stand by my statement.

If you have $20 to get through the week, and you use it on scratch-off lotto tickets instead of food, it's the ultimate mistake. You may get lucky and win $1000 on a scratch off ticket, but it was still ****ing DUMB to risk your food money on something with such a low chance of return.

ublinkwescore
04-05-2011, 06:16 PM
me either but to get kolb and still get an extra 2nd round pick as well as still having a 1st round pick, would be amazing. kolb could be great, the eagles thought he would be until vick came out of no where.

I guess the real question would be... what could Chan Gailey do with a Kevin Kolb.

justasportsfan
04-05-2011, 10:43 PM
How? He hasn't proven anything other than his ability to get injured and not win his job back. Keep in mind he was handed the job in Philly, he never had to earn it.

How? He's got stats already in the NFL while the draftees don't. Some of the draftees are more likely to surpass Kolb's nos. to this point but Gailey can more or less see how Kolb will do in the pros than the draftee's.
PS , I'm not all for this trade. Id rather have Dareus still if possible.

acehole
04-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Hide it.... Saber or his mom usually not far behind.

Mike
04-13-2011, 11:59 PM
taking Newton is the ultimate mistake. I stand by my statement.

If you have $20 to get through the week, and you use it on scratch-off lotto tickets instead of food, it's the ultimate mistake. You may get lucky and win $1000 on a scratch off ticket, but it was still ****ing DUMB to risk your food money on something with such a low chance of return.

Well you have to look at it from the Bills POV and let be honest here. The Bills have been aweful at drafting, agreed? I will assume that you do. Now if you are the Bills and you reflect on the past ten years and you see, gee we s*ck at drafting what is the next best thing you can do? Put people in the seats. If you know you are likely going to blow the pick anyway might as well take the long shot, take the guy with great 'potential' & sell tickets for the next 5 years -amount of time it will take average Bills fan to figure out that he is a bust- and hope for the best. You might win the lottery, and that would be great! But chances are, given your history, you were going to blow the pick anyway, so what difference does it make? And if things dont pan out, in 5 years you can hire a new GM and Coach and blame everything on the old regime and the whole game starts all over again.

Buddo
04-14-2011, 04:00 AM
Well you have to look at it from the Bills POV and let be honest here. The Bills have been aweful at drafting, agreed? I will assume that you do. Now if you are the Bills and you reflect on the past ten years and you see, gee we s*ck at drafting what is the next best thing you can do? Put people in the seats. If you know you are likely going to blow the pick anyway might as well take the long shot, take the guy with great 'potential' & sell tickets for the next 5 years -amount of time it will take average Bills fan to figure out that he is a bust- and hope for the best. You might win the lottery, and that would be great! But chances are, given your history, you were going to blow the pick anyway, so what difference does it make? And if things dont pan out, in 5 years you can hire a new GM and Coach and blame everything on the old regime and the whole game starts all over again.

I think it's safe to assume that Nix isn't going to operate in that fashion. I believe he believes in his ability to make good picks, and good player assessments, and he isn't going to feel responsible for previous mistakes from other guys.

TMu11
04-14-2011, 05:24 AM

Not happenin'

Stupid theory

stuckincincy
04-14-2011, 10:43 AM
Not happenin'

Stupid theory

Nice avatar! - looks like that tub 'o goo "value pick" that CIN's Mike Brown drafted in the 6th spot in '09.

He's currently rehabbing from his 2nd foot fracture (held out, then broke his foot for the first time in his 1st or 2nd day of camp). Forget LT duty; they hope he can play at RT.

I happen to think that a fair percentage of owners are egotistical idiots, who wouldn't recognize the truth if it walked up to them and handed them a cheese sandwich...

trapezeus
04-14-2011, 11:31 AM
the bills should just hire george costanza and everything the bills front office thinks they should do, george can override and do the exact opposite.

This sadly is the only option left for the bills, aside from not hiring a 70+ year old first time GM.

Bill Cody
04-14-2011, 12:02 PM
leaving aside that such a trade is illegal at this point I really believe this was just a made up rumor. You have an Eagles fan that wants Peterson and knows the Bills need a QB so you make up a scenario. Not buying it.

About the only thing I do buy is that the Bills phone will ring on draft day. Whether it be for Peterson or maybe Gabbert our pick will be in demand and I suspect if both Dareus and Newton are drafted we will listen very intently as long as we get to stay in the top 10. Having said that if either of those 2 are still on the board we will make that guy the pick. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Commissioner
04-14-2011, 12:14 PM
What's the difference between Kolb and Fitz?

Bill Cody
04-14-2011, 12:18 PM
What's the difference between Kolb and Fitz?

Probably not much. They're both 4 letter words.