PDA

View Full Version : Three scenarios- Round 1

Mindbender
04-05-2011, 11:57 AM
The draft is less than 4 weeks away. Here's what I hope the Bills will do. What do you think?

Scenario 1- Dareus is available and we pick him.

Scenario 2- Dareus is not available (darn Broncos) so we try to trade down somewhere in the top 10. We are successful and target our highest rated DE.

Scenario 3- Dareus is not available so we try to trade down. We are unsuccessful and pick Peterson.

mikemac2001
04-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Don't really disagree

i would like dareus if not a trade down doesn't bother me extra picks can't hurt

but peterson is a sure bet and if we draft him i don't mind focusing on Dline and Lb's later on.

psubills62
04-05-2011, 12:10 PM
I actually wouldn't mind terribly if they drafted Cam Jordan at #3 (provided they can't trade down), either.

I do think scenarios 1-2 are the likely top two that Nix and co. are hoping for. If they could trade down to the 5-7 range, they could still get an "elite" player (I say "elite" because this draft is really weak at the top, but it still has a top tier).

trapezeus
04-05-2011, 12:11 PM
i'm pretty anti-cam newton, but if we can't trade out and need to take #3 and there isn't a decent defensive option aside from peterson, i would rather take the gamble on cam.

Here's why. i don't care how awesome you are as a CB, that doesn't solve this defense's problem. You can't run with WR for 4-6 seconds all the time no matter how well you grade. and even if you could, there is still another receiver option who will be open. and even if we had a second stud CB to cover that guy, teams will continue to run on us all day long. So his presence is just a gigantic waste of money and hearing "plus he's a great kick returner" one more time on april draft day, i'll kill someone. I really want the bills to take a game changing LB if Dareus isn't there.

Cam, on the other hand, has plenty of warts and also is useless against stopping the run. But there is upside. he could get it and be absolutely trouble free and amazing. making other teams having to game plan us for what he can do. Again, i came away from the BCS championship game thinking, "he's not a top tier NFL QB", but i'm a nobody. maybe gailey can fix what seemed so wrong with him.

Peterson, we've gone down this route with picking CBs. They are expensive and not that necessary if you have a great front seven. i would rather invest in front seven to reduce injury risk, than rely on one guy at 6 feet and 200lbs to be our savior.

sdbillsfan2
04-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Quick Question..........How far down can you drop and still expect Peterson to be
there?

Nighthawk
04-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Just say no to Peterson...pointless pick.

Ginger Vitis
04-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Scenario 2 is best

Mr. Miyagi
04-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Scenario 3- Dareus is not available so we try to trade down. We are unsuccessful and pick Miller.
That's better.

tcb5033
04-05-2011, 02:26 PM
What if Dareus and one of the top 2 QB's are available when its time for us to pick at 3. Is it realistic at all to trade with Arizona (who I believe is in love with both QBs) and hope to get Dareus at #5? I highly doubt Cincy would take Dareus at 4...

Mr. Miyagi
04-05-2011, 02:31 PM
What if Dareus and one of the top 2 QB's are available when its time for us to pick at 3. Is it realistic at all to trade with Arizona (who I believe is in love with both QBs) and hope to get Dareus at #5? I highly doubt Cincy would take Dareus at 4...
Not that this scenerio would ever happen, but for some fluke reason if it did, why would Arizona want to trade up ahead of Cincy if they were "in love with both QBs"?

psubills62
04-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Not that this scenerio would ever happen, but for some fluke reason if it did, why would Arizona want to trade up ahead of Cincy if they were "in love with both QBs"?
Cincy could very well take the other QB on the board. If Arizona is desperate to get one of them (I don't think they are, tbh), then they might want to jump Cincy to grab him.

tampabay25690
04-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Just say no to Peterson...pointless pick.

Yea that would suck to take the best player in the draft...LOL
If Peterson is there at 3 it would be idiotic to pass on him...
I do think he will be gone anyway....

tcb5033
04-05-2011, 02:40 PM
Cincy could very well take the other QB on the board. If Arizona is desperate to get one of them (I don't think they are, tbh), then they might want to jump Cincy to grab him.

Exactly... In hindsight I guess I didn't explain my thought enough. We could walk away with Dareus and extra late rounders. Would be ideal but I think its too good to be true in reality.

better days
04-05-2011, 03:14 PM

IMO it would be idiotic to take Peterson if a top 10 team wants to trade up to #3.

patmoran2006
04-05-2011, 03:26 PM

I don't at all. In fact, Im pretty confident he'll be there at 3. I think Cam Newton is going 1 and Dareus is going 2.

patmoran2006
04-05-2011, 03:30 PM
I'll tell you guys this, as I have been and will continue to everyday until April 28.. The Bills would LOVE to have Cameron Jordan, they are very high on him, according to any source I've ever had. IT comes down to a question of "value" at 3.. Jordan fits the Bills like no other, he could slide down pretty far if the Bills dont take him.

Ideally, the best scenario for Buffalo is a team wants to move up from top 10 to get Gabbert.

I don't think Peterson is going to be a guy teams trade up for because Prince is a quality QB who should be available in the 7-11 range.

Regardless, I can promise you the Bills like Jordan and if they do move down, I'd bet money that's the guy they want.. And it might be a "shock" or "reach"< but I will not be at all surprised if the Bills pick at 3 and Dareus is gone, they took Jordan over Bowers, Quinn, Fairley or Peterson.

If the Bills stay at 3 and Darues/Newton are gone, I think it's Miller or Jordan.

trapezeus
04-05-2011, 03:43 PM
when i read stuff like what pat just wrote, it makes me want to buy all the Bills front office people a subscription to some draft magazine. they are totally overthinking everything....yet again.

if they reach for yet another player, when the hands down consensus players are available for the taking, i will openly root for the lockout to last indefinitely because my patience is growing incredibly thin when it comes to drafting.

I've never heard of Cam Jordan, and i don't want cam jordan at any pick before the second round. that's my non-nerd draft perspective on it.

Ed
04-05-2011, 03:51 PM
I don't at all. In fact, Im pretty confident he'll be there at 3. I think Cam Newton is going 1 and Dareus is going 2.
What happened to Gabbert going #1?

YardRat
04-05-2011, 05:18 PM
:posrep: for not having Newton involved in any of the three.

SABURZFAN
04-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Quick Question..........How far down can you drop and still expect Peterson to be
there?

he doesn't get past San Francisco.

tampabay25690
04-05-2011, 05:37 PM
IMO it would be idiotic to take Peterson if a top 10 team wants to trade up to #3.

If it is a trade scenario then im possibly on board.....
We need picks...

tampabay25690
04-05-2011, 05:37 PM

Pat would u pass on Patrick Peterson????

tampabay25690
04-05-2011, 05:39 PM
What happened to Gabbert going #1?

I don't think there is a chance that Gabbert goes #1...

tampabay25690
04-05-2011, 05:41 PM
he doesn't get past San Francisco.

If he goes to #7 then I have no CLUE about prospects...
I still think he is the best player in the draft HANDS DOWN......
It wouldnt surprise me 1 bit if he went #1..........

SABURZFAN
04-05-2011, 05:46 PM
If he goes to #7 then I have no CLUE about prospects...
I still think he is the best player in the draft HANDS DOWN......
It wouldnt surprise me 1 bit if he went #1..........

i'd love to see the Bills draft him.

patmoran2006
04-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Pat would u pass on Patrick Peterson????

Yes, I would. I don't think a 4-12 has any business taking a corner with the third overal pick. How effective is he going to be covering a WR for 7.6 seconds every passing down in Buffalo for the next 3 years with this pass rush?

If I'm the Bills, 3 of my first 4 picks are in the front seven, including the first one.

Under topic scenario, a QB and Dareus are already gone.. I would take either Von Miller, Robert Quinn or Cam Jordan. My PREFERENCE is to move down and get Jordan, plausible this year more than others because of either Gabbert or Newton on the board at 3 and so many QB needy teams in Top 12 behind us.

I think Peterson could definitely be great, but he'd be a horrible fit in Buffalo with this meager pass rush.

tampabay25690
04-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Yes, I would. I don't think a 4-12 has any business taking a corner with the third overal pick. How effective is he going to be covering a WR for 7.6 seconds every passing down in Buffalo for the next 3 years with this pass rush?

If I'm the Bills, 3 of my first 4 picks are in the front seven, including the first one.

Under topic scenario, a QB and Dareus are already gone.. I would take either Von Miller, Robert Quinn or Cam Jordan. My PREFERENCE is to move down and get Jordan, plausible this year more than others because of either Gabbert or Newton on the board at 3 and so many QB needy teams in Top 12 behind us.

I think Peterson could definitely be great, but he'd be a horrible fit in Buffalo with this meager pass rush.

Good way to work a defense around though.....
I hear what you are saying though, but very hard to possibly pass on the best player in the draft...

Coach Sal
04-05-2011, 05:53 PM
My info differs from Pat's. Some is the same, some is different. So, I'm not at all saying he is wrong, but I have heard different (not a ton different, mind you) on some of these players and rankings from OBD.

Pat, you are welcome to call in after Brian to talk about your info and my info and we can compare notes live. Could be fun!!

Night Train
04-05-2011, 06:09 PM
The draft is less than 4 weeks away. Here's what I hope the Bills will do. What do you think?

Scenario 2- Dareus is not available (darn Broncos) so we try to trade down somewhere in the top 10. We are successful and target our highest rated DE.

Scenario 3- Dareus is not available so we try to trade down. We are unsuccessful and pick Peterson.

I think you nailed it.

ublinkwescore
04-05-2011, 06:13 PM
I'd say the hell with it if Dareus is off the board, take Gabbert, or best other 3-4 DL with trade down, and Christian Ponder in the second if he's available.

tampabay25690
04-05-2011, 07:26 PM
My info differs from Pat's. Some is the same, some is different. So, I'm not at all saying he is wrong, but I have heard different (not a ton different, mind you) on some of these players and rankings from OBD.

Pat, you are welcome to call in after Brian to talk about your info and my info and we can compare notes live. Could be fun!!

very good

patmoran2006
04-05-2011, 08:19 PM

I have Sabres post-game to report tonight while I listen to your show, but if you need a spot next week (or whenver) I'd be happy to do it. For sure it would be fun to compare some notes and stuff we've accumulated, and by next week perhaps a few things come more into focus.

TigerJ
04-05-2011, 10:29 PM
All three scenarios are possible. I suspect that if Dareus is gone and Buffalo can't trade down Von Miller may be a more likely pick than Peterson, but's just me thinking, and I could easily be wrong.

Nighthawk
04-06-2011, 11:54 AM

Who cares if he is the best player in the draft, he isn't the best player for the Bills and would not improve a very poor defense that much. You and others fail to realize that never has a CB made a poor defense vastly better. Now, if the Bills defense was good, then he could make them better, but the CB position is no good without a good pass rush and good play upfront. Don't fool yourself. Also, I'd argue Von Miller is the best player in this draft and there is no way I take Peterson over Von Miller.

JCBills
04-08-2011, 12:30 PM
That's better.

We need LOLBs.

DANMAN
04-08-2011, 09:44 PM

I like Scenario 1 the best, if Dareus is there he is definitely the pick.

Scenario 2, with Dareus gone the Bills should try to trade down, getting another 2nd round pick would be great and drafting a top DE would help the DL alot. I like this Scenario almost as much as Scenario 1.

Scenario 3, I would draft Von Miller instead of Peterson, I think a very good OLB would have a much bigger impact on the defense than even a great CB.
This Scenario would be my third choice, but not a bad choice.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-08-2011, 10:38 PM
1 - dareus is there and you run up and take him
2 - trade down to 5/7/8/9/10 and take cam jordan or jj watt, whoever you like more...
3- cant find a trade partner and take von miller
4- dareus and miller are both gone, you take cam jordan or jj watt if you cant trade down

wild card- trade to the late teens and take gabe carimi/brooks reed/justin houston and pick up 3 picks
a 2nd, 3rd, and next years 1

if it were me i know run d is priority number 1 and number 2

i would do everything possible to trade down and take cameron jordan and get a 2nd and 4th and call it a day.