PDA

View Full Version : Magic number down to one!!!

Dr. Lecter
04-05-2011, 08:35 PM
After tonight's regulation victory.

Carolina is going have to go 3-0-0 and the Sabres 0-2-0 or else were are witnessing a miracle and there will be playoff hockey in Buffalo!!!!!

I am actually getting excited.

In all seriousness, this team looks much different than last year's team. They have more points than anybody in the East since the middle of February. They have rebounded from a horrendous start that would have been easy to fold up after. They have won big games (Montreal, Rangers, Carolina, Tampa). They have done so without Miller and other regulars like Roy, Grier, Leopold and Hecht. They have not lost two in a row since February 18-19.

The team looks like it might be growing up.

And give Vanek the 'C' now.

Bufftp
04-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Talk about jinxes ESPN nhl headline has buffalo clinching a spot. :afraid:
"
Sabres Are In

Buffalo has joined the dance. The Sabres beat the Bolts 4-2 on Tuesday to clinch a playoff spot and end Toronto's hopes"
stupid espn (http://espn.go.com/nhl/)

G Wolly
04-05-2011, 10:44 PM
Carolina won't beat Detroit.

Nighthawk
04-06-2011, 12:11 PM

Carolina is going have to go 3-0-0 and the Sabres 0-2-0 or else were are witnessing a miracle and there will be playoff hockey in Buffalo!!!!!

In all seriousness, this team looks much different than last year's team. They have more points than anybody in the East since the middle of February. They have rebounded from a horrendous start that would have been easy to fold up after. They have won big games (Montreal, Rangers, Carolina, Tampa). They have done so without Miller and other regulars like Roy, Grier, Leopold and Hecht. They have not lost two in a row since February 18-19.

No, it isn't growing up, it is a different team making the run. Some of the players that everybody hates are either not playing, gone or have reduced roles. It should be no surprise that the energy is better with younger, more eager players in the lineup. It just proves everybody right, they needed to get rid of some of the "core" guys to see a change in the demeanor of the team.

SkateZilla
04-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Talk about jinxes ESPN nhl headline has buffalo clinching a spot. :afraid:
"
Sabres Are In

Buffalo has joined the dance. The Sabres beat the Bolts 4-2 on Tuesday to clinch a playoff spot and end Toronto's hopes"
stupid espn (http://espn.go.com/nhl/)

they must have realized we need more pt or a carolina loss, I want 6th place....

TMu11
04-06-2011, 01:21 PM

Dear God, please don't.

Mski
04-06-2011, 01:23 PM
Dear God, please don't.elaborate why you dont believe he's worthy of it?

G Wolly
04-06-2011, 01:54 PM
elaborate why you dont believe he's worthy of it?

He's good and I enjoy seeing him play well, but doesn't always show up when he should.

Dr. Lecter
04-06-2011, 02:12 PM
No, it isn't growing up, it is a different team making the run. Some of the players that everybody hates are either not playing, gone or have reduced roles. It should be no surprise that the energy is better with younger, more eager players in the lineup. It just proves everybody right, they needed to get rid of some of the "core" guys to see a change in the demeanor of the team.

Interesting.

If you deny that guys like Vanek, Stafford, Sekera, Butler and Pominville are different this year then you are not watching the games. At all.

And what core guys are gone or have been gone? Grier is not core. Kaleta is not. Hecht played during much of the resurgance.

So what core guys are gone or not playing?

SabreEleven
04-06-2011, 02:16 PM
He's good and I enjoy seeing him play well, but doesn't always show up when he should.

Maybe the 'C' on his chest will drive up his confidence. I'd like to see what it would do for him.

trapezeus
04-06-2011, 02:23 PM
vanek can be very much like a hot shot adult rec player. When beating up on a team, that player usually scores like 2-3 goals. but in a close game, that guy who has the nice stats is no where to be found.

Luckily, the sabres have been playing a much mroe even game. They aren't reliant on one player beinga superstar, so vanek's struggles the last couple weeks isn't noticeable. and quite frankly i think that is the team that is more dangerous in the playoffs. When one guy stops producing, another guy is there.

Vanek was buzzing last night because there were a lot of opportunities. And the thing about last night's game was that it didn't look much like playoff hockey. it felt like a mid november hockey game. crowd was quiet, neither team really pushed that much and took what was given.

in the playoff atmosphere games this year, we relied on good defense and one or two timely goals. Vanek has been good in the defensive end this year, but i don't think he's captain worthy yet.

Crisis
04-06-2011, 02:26 PM
i think vanek is deserving of the C but i'd wait til next year before giving anyone it.

G Wolly
04-06-2011, 02:31 PM
vanek can be very much like a hot shot adult rec player. When beating up on a team, that player usually scores like 2-3 goals. but in a close game, that guy who has the nice stats is no where to be found.

I always compare the play of my teammate's brother to that of Vanek.

He has the ability and can make nice plays/score goals, but half-asses it most of the time and only pushes himself when there's a clear opportunity to make a play.

OpIv37
04-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Interesting.

If you deny that guys like Vanek, Stafford, Sekera, Butler and Pominville are different this year then you are not watching the games. At all.

And what core guys are gone or have been gone? Grier is not core. Kaleta is not. Hecht played during much of the resurgance.

I'll give you 4 of those 5. Pominville is the same guy. He's come up with a few key goals in the last few games, but don't let that make you forget that he's been the same guy for most of the season.

Butler has improved tremendously.

Vanek is still too inconsistent for my tastes but I have to say he's getting better in that regard.

Mski
04-06-2011, 03:11 PM
if we wait till the offseason to name a new "C", who woud Betmen had the cup to:pray: if we got there?

CuseJetsFan83
04-06-2011, 05:23 PM
if we wait till the offseason to name a new "C", who woud Betmen had the cup to:pray: if we got there?

since we have a Tri-A captaincy... pominville, gaustad and vanek, i'd say goose goes first

Nighthawk
04-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Interesting.

Ennis was not there last year...Boyes was not there last year...Leopold was not there last year...Enroth was not there last year...Weber was not there last year...Gerbe was not there last year....McCormick was not there last year...Mancari was not there last year...I'm talking about the regular season and when they were there in the playoffs, those guys (McCormick, Ennis, Gerbe) were working much harder then the rest of the team.

I think you're simplifying it too much...yes, Stafford has grown as a player, I like Vanek's play overall much better this year, but A LOT of the pieces are different.

Dr. Lecter
04-06-2011, 08:20 PM
What core guys did they get rid of?

Pieces are different. I never said otherwise. I said the "core" (your word not mine) did not change.

And it did not.

SabreEleven
04-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Carolina won't beat Detroit.

Wrong, LW

hydro
04-06-2011, 08:35 PM
IMO the core has always been Roy, Vanek, Pominville, Connolly, Hecht, Miller, Lydman and Tallinder. We lost two of those guys. Much of the core is still here.

Nighthawk
04-06-2011, 08:58 PM
What core guys did they get rid of?

Pieces are different. I never said otherwise. I said the "core" (your word not mine) did not change.

And it did not.

No Hecht, no Roy...that is two players from the top two lines last year...

Nighthawk
04-06-2011, 09:00 PM
IMO the core has always been Roy, Vanek, Pominville, Connolly, Hecht, Miller, Lydman and Tallinder. We lost two of those guys. Much of the core is still here.

When you change two of the top six...that is huge...plus no Lydman or Tallinder...am I missing something or are there just 3 of the core playing during this run and of course Miller? You made my point for me.

TMu11
04-07-2011, 05:10 AM
elaborate why you dont believe he's worthy of it?

He's lazy. When the games arent going his way he doesnt skate hard, and is notorious for not using his speed to get around players. He is more likely to take a slapshot than make a few moves. His goals come in bunches during blowouts or leads.

Id rather have a player that works hard all game, every game without the natural skill be a leader.

G Wolly
04-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Wrong, LW

What a sorry excuse for a franchise! How could Detroit NOT win this game?!

HOCKEYTOWN?!

MORE LIKE SUCKEYTOWN!