PDA

View Full Version : IF Miller isn't ready until the playoffs..

JD
04-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Assuming Enroth doesn't have a total breakdown over the next two games.. play the hot hand or toss Miller in cold?

OpIv37
04-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Miller. No question.

I like Enroth so far but Miller is proven.

generalmills
04-05-2011, 10:09 PM
If Miller is ready to go there is no question... Miller

THATHURMANATOR
04-05-2011, 10:26 PM
Absolute no brainer.... Miller.
Not even a question

kelly2reed4six
04-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Miller. No question.

I like Enroth so far but Miller is proven.

Agreed! HOWEVER, I don't think I would mind if the sports media played up this scenario a bit to "stir the pot." It could light a fire under Millers a** for the playoffs!

G Wolly
04-05-2011, 10:42 PM
Let him play.

If he sucks it up, make the switch without hesitation.

trapezeus
04-05-2011, 10:57 PM
on my podcast, we discussed this. why is it that other teams will rotate through the hothand but we can't. it's go time next week.

JD
04-05-2011, 11:35 PM
on my podcast, we discussed this. why is it that other teams will rotate through the hothand but we can't. it's go time next week.

If Enroth plays lights out these last two games, I would play him without a question. Why risk throwing Miller in? If he ****s the bed in the first 10 minutes and allows 3 goals, we pull him.. Miller is pissed off, team is down.. that's just not good for team spirit.

Idk, I'm on the fence with this.

The thing with Enroth is the kid has nothing to lose, so I feel he'll continue playing with that mindset. That Rangers game showed it, the Hurricanes game showed it. We have these rookies who come up and usually play better than our veteran players. You know, people say oh.. "Miller has the experience".. but as far as I'm concerned, Enroth won two game 7's in the past week or so. I think he can handle the pressure.

OpIv37
04-06-2011, 08:14 AM

If you look at teams that rotate goaltenders, they are teams without a true #1 goaltender. Occasionally a team gets lucky and has a 1a and 1b, but usually it's a team with a 2a and a 2b. That's basically the situation the Caps are in- every time one of their goalies starts to establish himself as the #1, he gets hurt, then they end up playing the "hot hand" amongst their 2a and 2b.

Teams that have established #1's play the #1 when he's healthy, except in rare occasions when the #1 needs a rest.

trapezeus
04-06-2011, 08:30 AM
well our number 1 has had a atough year, and i think its because he rushed back early due to knowing lalime couldn't carry us for a season.

now he is in a position to get to 100%. I'm not for jettisoning him to the bench forever, but the team plays a whole lot better for enroth. Perhaps they trust miller too much and leave him out to dry too many times. for the most part, they clear pucks. in that carolina game, they had were killing a 2 man advantage and blocked 3 shots. i think only one got through. That makes a huge difference.

OpIv37
04-06-2011, 08:37 AM
Perhaps they trust miller too much and leave him out to dry too many times.

I definitely agree with that. What Lindy needs to do is put Miller back there and say to the team "Hey *******s, put forth the same effort you would if Enroth was back there and don't rely on him to bail you out."

then MAYBE we could get somewhere in the playoffs.

THATHURMANATOR
04-06-2011, 10:03 AM
If Enroth plays lights out these last two games, I would play him without a question. Why risk throwing Miller in? If he ****s the bed in the first 10 minutes and allows 3 goals, we pull him.. Miller is pissed off, team is down.. that's just not good for team spirit.

Idk, I'm on the fence with this.

The thing with Enroth is the kid has nothing to lose, so I feel he'll continue playing with that mindset. That Rangers game showed it, the Hurricanes game showed it. We have these rookies who come up and usually play better than our veteran players. You know, people say oh.. "Miller has the experience".. but as far as I'm concerned, Enroth won two game 7's in the past week or so. I think he can handle the pressure.
How bout Miller is BETTER.

How bout Enroth looked like complete **** Vs the Caps but somehow gets a free pass.

I don't get this city and their desire to always hate what we have and want something else.

I don't think Enroth did anything Miller would not have done had he been in there.

Miller is the reigning Vezina and has been playing great since the Sabres when on this tear.

I think it is great we finally have a good backup goalie but I can't fathom how people are calling for Enroth to start over a healthy Miller in the playoffs. It is idiotic to me.

I foree Enroth being a starting goalie for this team sometime down the road but not in the near future.

G Wolly
04-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Yea Enroth is horrible, how can anyone like him?

Every single goal on Saturday was all his fault. What an idiot for not stopping those shots. HE is supposed to stop them, NOT the DEFENSE.

And losing in OT because of a deflection?! Get your head out of your ass.

THATHURMANATOR
04-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Yea Enroth is horrible, how can anyone like him?

Every single goal on Saturday was all his fault. What an idiot for not stopping those shots. HE is supposed to stop them, NOT the DEFENSE.

And losing in OT because of a deflection?! Get your head out of your ass.
You are the one sounding like his head is up a butt hole.

First off no one doesn't like Enroth so not sure why you are getting this douchy sarcastic tone.

Enroth did not look good Saturday. Why are you so quick to defend him but so fast to criticize Miller if he had a similar game? Your comment on Defense is Laughable. The defense hangs Miller out to dry on a nightly basis. It is clear to me they play a more concerted defensive effort when Enroth is in the game.

The game should not have gone to overtime is the point.

I can't believe people are even entertaining the idea of starting Enroth over a healthy Miller in the playoffs.

Mski
04-06-2011, 10:35 AM
I can't believe people are even entertaining the idea of starting Enroth over a healthy Miller in the playoffs.

i think the point is, some of us dont think miller will be healthy enough when the playoffs start. i personally think the team is hiding a concussion

G Wolly
04-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Why are you so quick to defend him but so fast to criticize Miller if he had a similar game? Your comment on Defense is Laughable. The defense hangs Miller out to dry on a nightly basis. It is clear to me they play a more concerted defensive effort when Enroth is in the game.

At least 3 of the goals were down low, in front of the net, where someone let his guy get free to tap in a rebound. Defense wasn't totally innocent that night either.

And ask yourself the same question. Why are you so quick to condemn Enroth after one bad game? His worst game by allowing 5 goals. How about that Toronto game where Miller allows that first goal from a shot at the blue line to put us behind early?

In all fairness, you too are also jumping too quickly to a conclusion that Miller needs to start [if we make] the playoffs.

trapezeus
04-06-2011, 10:43 AM
thurm, enroth has played 10-12 games this season. He had one bad game.

Miller hasn't been the same goalie on this second half tear. the sabres were scoring a lot of goals.

For the most part, the softies that you know are coming from miller this year don't happen during enroth's games.

i think the team as a whole plays much better in front of a 23 year old kid and they are the ones who take miller for granted. have you seen a single breakaway given up when enroth is in net? Have you seen multiple games with miller facing break aways?

Right now, the team is playing absolutely the best they have in years. enroth is part of the equation. i think you kind of have to let the best unit play.

even vanek got shifted around in the last game. he was struggling before this game. He got taken off the connolly pommer line for gaustad and mancari for a shift or two.

The team seems to deal better when everyone is held accountable.

THATHURMANATOR
04-06-2011, 10:46 AM
i think the point is, some of us dont think miller will be healthy enough when the playoffs start. i personally think the team is hiding a concussion
Why would you think this though. It is clearly a badly bruised shoulder. Why would you think concussion? The shot caught him under the pads on the shoulder.

If Miller isn't healthy then yeah go with Enroth, but I am pretty certain he will be ready.

OpIv37
04-06-2011, 10:50 AM
And ask yourself the same question. Why are you so quick to condemn Enroth after one bad game?

because he has so few games overall. He only has 13 NHL starts, so one bad game is a huge percentage of his total.

Miller is having an off year, but he still has far more good nights than bad nights.

If Miller isn't 100% healthy, then this is a conversation worth having. But if Miller is healthy, he took us to two conference finals, played in the playoffs this year, won the Vezina trophy last year and was the MVP of an Olympic tournament where he led the US to a silver medal. And you want to keep him on the bench because Enroth had like 4 good games? Do you have any idea how insane that sounds?

THATHURMANATOR
04-06-2011, 10:50 AM

Miller hasn't been the same goalie on this second half tear. the sabres were scoring a lot of goals.

For the most part, the softies that you know are coming from miller this year don't happen during enroth's games.

i think the team as a whole plays much better in front of a 23 year old kid and they are the ones who take miller for granted. have you seen a single breakaway given up when enroth is in net? Have you seen multiple games with miller facing penalty shots.

Right now, the team is playing absolutely the best they have in years. enroth is part of the equation. i think you kind of have to let the best unit play.

even vanek got shifted around in the last game. he was struggling before this game. He got taken off the connolly pommer line for gaustad and mancari for a shift or two.

Really he isn't played well lately????? Didn't he just win NHL 1st star of the week 2 weeks ago??? WTF PEOPLE!!!!

OpIv37
04-06-2011, 10:55 AM

i think the team as a whole plays much better in front of a 23 year old kid and they are the ones who take miller for granted. have you seen a single breakaway given up when enroth is in net? Have you seen multiple games with miller facing break aways?

Hold Miller accountable for what, though? He started the overwhelming majority of the games during the 2nd half comeback. He was 3-1 with 2 shutouts in his last 4 before getting injured. The standard you are using for holding Miller accountable seems to be "not being the best goalie in the world like you were last year." That's a bit harsh.

PTI
04-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Miller was just coming off the best week of play he had all season and was NHL first star of the week, and I don't care if anyone says the other teams shot right at his belly every time. He seemed to be picking up steam. Miller is the only choice to start.

G Wolly
04-06-2011, 10:57 AM
because he has so few games overall. He only has 13 NHL starts, so one bad game is a huge percentage of his total.

Miller is having an off year, but he still has far more good nights than bad nights.

And you want to keep him on the bench because Enroth had like 4 good games? Do you have any idea how insane that sounds?

In Miller's first 13 games, 6-8-1, 2.63 GAA

Enroth's 12 games, 8-2-2, 2.49 GAA

I'm not saying Enroth is destined to be our franchise goalie for the next decade, but my point is rather that Miller wasn't always our most skilled goalie either.

Guys have good games and bad games. Just because Miller is experienced doesn't always mean he'll be better suited to start or help us win playoff games.

Different goalies have different strengths and weaknesses.

By no means am I saying Enroth is the answer, or our future, or that Miller is a dud.

All I'm saying is we have a reliable back-up goalie. If our back-up goalie happens to play better than our starter for a few games, keep him in. Same goes if we place Miller back in and he blows it.

Just because it's Ryan Miller doesn't mean he 100% HAS TO start. I think, as said before, the guys take advantage of that and leave him out to dry more often, but seem to play tighter with Enroth behind them.

OpIv37
04-06-2011, 11:00 AM
In Miller's first 13 games, 6-8-1, 2.63 GAA

Enroth's 12 games, 8-2-2, 2.49 GAA

I'm not saying Enroth is destined to be our franchise goalie for the next decade, but my point is rather that Miller wasn't always our most skilled goalie either.

Guys have good games and bad games. Just because Miller is experienced doesn't always mean he'll be better suited to start or help us win playoff games.

Different goalies have different strengths and weaknesses.

By no means am I saying Enroth is the answer, or our future, or that Miller is a dud.

All I'm saying is we have a reliable back-up goalie. If our back-up goalie happens to play better than our starter for a few games, keep him in. Same goes if we place Miller back in and he blows it.

Just because it's Ryan Miller doesn't mean he 100% HAS TO start. I think, as said before, the guys take advantage of that and leave him out to dry more often, but seem to play tighter with Enroth behind them.

If it were the middle of the season, I might agree with you. Ride the hot hand until he blows it. But it's the playoffs. Miller is the most proven and the best goalie on the team. He's the one who got us here and he's the one who gives the team the best shot to win.

If we're lucky, Carolina loses tonight and Miller will be ready to play Fri or Sat so he can shake the rust off in a game with few implications.

G Wolly
04-06-2011, 11:03 AM
If it were the middle of the season, I might agree with you. Ride the hot hand until he blows it. But it's the playoffs. Miller is the most proven and the best goalie on the team. He's the one who got us here and he's the one who gives the team the best shot to win.

If we're lucky, Carolina loses tonight and Miller will be ready to play Fri or Sat so he can shake the rust off in a game with few implications.

Ok. I understand your point. I agree. He's our proven veteran.

But, say we make it in. He sucks the first game, we lose in OT. Keep him in.

Plays a second game. Not much better, and we're down 2 games.

Would you keep him in because he's "proven" or at that point, would you see what Enroth can do?

kelly2reed4six
04-06-2011, 11:09 AM
Miller has the playoff experience, whereas Enroth has ZERO playoff experience. It is great what enroth has put together for us the last several games, but playoff hockey is a whole new breed! Teams come out looking for the kill, and rookie goaltenders often break down....most recent examples being rask last year....varlomov the year before.

If miller is 100% you go with him....open and shut case!

OpIv37
04-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Ok. I understand your point. I agree. He's our proven veteran.

But, say we make it in. He sucks the first game, we lose in OT. Keep him in.

Plays a second game. Not much better, and we're down 2 games.

Would you keep him in because he's "proven" or at that point, would you see what Enroth can do?

tough call. At that point you may have to give Enroth a shot.

THATHURMANATOR
04-06-2011, 11:14 AM
Unless Miller is letting in shots from the blue line on a regular basis I can't see any scenario I would bench him for Enroth..

I guess if we were down 0-3 and needed a spark but no team should need a spark it is the playoffs.

G Wolly
04-06-2011, 11:14 AM
Miller has the playoff experience, whereas Enroth has ZERO playoff experience. It is great what enroth has put together for us the last several games, but playoff hockey is a whole new breed! Teams come out looking for the kill, and rookie goaltenders often break down....most recent examples being rask last year....varlomov the year before.

Really?

Because last season was Antti Niemi's first full season and he went 16 and 6 to win the cup.

JD
04-06-2011, 11:22 AM
How bout Miller is BETTER.

How bout Enroth looked like complete **** Vs the Caps but somehow gets a free pass.

I don't get this city and their desire to always hate what we have and want something else.

I don't think Enroth did anything Miller would not have done had he been in there.

Miller is the reigning Vezina and has been playing great since the Sabres when on this tear.

I think it is great we finally have a good backup goalie but I can't fathom how people are calling for Enroth to start over a healthy Miller in the playoffs. It is idiotic to me.

I foree Enroth being a starting goalie for this team sometime down the road but not in the near future.

I love how you bring up this city.. don't you know everyone here "lives in the past"? That's exactly what you're doing. You're looking at Miller as the reigning Vezina yet he's not even in the top 20 for GAA OR S%

How about living in the now and not ****ing up something that seems to be working? The team CLEARLY plays better in front of Enroth, there is no denying that.

Since the All-Star break, Enroth is 6-0-1 (1 shutout) with a 2.23 GAA and .926 S%
Since the All-Star break, Miller is 12-8-4 (2 shutout) with a 2.50 GAA and .918 S%

All I'm saying is throwing Miller in cold would be ******ed. If he came back for Columbus, I'd start him in the playoffs.

JD
04-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Miller was just coming off the best week of play he had all season and was NHL first star of the week, and I don't care if anyone says the other teams shot right at his belly every time. He seemed to be picking up steam. Miller is the only choice to start.

The dude is coming off a ****ing CONCUSSION. How has Connolly been since being KO'd?

THATHURMANATOR
04-06-2011, 11:27 AM
I love how you bring up this city.. don't you know everyone here "lives in the past"? That's exactly what you're doing. You're looking at Miller as the reigning Vezina yet he's not even in the top 20 for GAA OR S%

How about living in the now and not ****ing up something that seems to be working? The team CLEARLY plays better in front of Enroth, there is no denying that.

Since the All-Star break, Enroth is 6-0-1 (1 shutout) with a 2.23 GAA and .926 S%
Since the All-Star break, Miller is 12-8-4 (2 shutout) with a 2.50 GAA and .918 S%

All I'm saying is throwing Miller in cold would be ******ed. If he came back for Columbus, I'd start him in the playoffs.
If he is healthy by the first game of the playoffs he starts. I am not living in the past. Living in the past would be talking about Drury and Briere, not a reigning Vezina and a goalie who just was named first star of the week for the NHL.

Not playing a healthy Miller would be ******ed. In fact if Carolina loses tonight I would probably rest Miller for the next two games healthy or not. This is a blessing. Rested Miller for the playoffs.

JD
04-06-2011, 11:27 AM

Ridiculous.

You don't think these past few games were like playoff games? You don't win those games, you don't even MAKE IT to the playoffs. So to me, these past few games should have been much more nerve racking for a young netminder, and he stood tall!

THATHURMANATOR
04-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Ridiculous.

You don't think these past few games were like playoff games? You don't win those games, you don't even MAKE IT to the playoffs. So to me, these past few games should have been much more nerve racking for a young netminder, and he stood tall!
Sure stood tall against the Caps.... Come on man.

We all like Enroth. Stop with this bench Miller nonsense...

JD
04-06-2011, 11:37 AM
If he is healthy by the first game of the playoffs he starts. I am not living in the past. Living in the past would be talking about Drury and Briere, not a reigning Vezina and a goalie who just was named first star of the week for the NHL.

Not playing a healthy Miller would be ******ed. In fact if Carolina loses tonight I would probably rest Miller for the next two games healthy or not. This is a blessing. Rested Miller for the playoffs.

This whole "chest injury" story is bull****. It was a concussion.

Why do you think he didn't fly with the team for moral support? BECAUSE ITS NOT WISE TO FLY WITH A ****ING CONCUSSION
:goodpost:

trapezeus
04-06-2011, 11:42 AM
miller's last four games aren't totally representative of his level of play.

so he got two shutouts in one week. I know you guys are watching the game. there is a different feel with the team. with miller in net, there is always a worry that a mindnumbingly painful goal is going to go in. He'll stand on his head for 5 minutes at a time, and then let a weak one in.

I still think it's a factor of him not being 100%.

I would just run with enroth through the end of the season if there is any hesitation on his health.

I also think ruff said it best that "miller is our guy, but everyone on the team is held accountable for their play. he will need to be good."

I put that in quotes, buts not a direct quote. He said he believes in miller but that enroth has played well and miller needs to play better than that. Who can argue.

THATHURMANATOR
04-06-2011, 11:43 AM
This whole "chest injury" story is bull****. It was a concussion.

Why do you think he didn't fly with the team for moral support? BECAUSE ITS NOT WISE TO FLY WITH A ****ING CONCUSSION
:goodpost:
Are you kidding me with this. CONSPIRACY THEORY FOLKS.....

I was watching the game where he got hit under the pads with freaking blast right in the shoulder. How long has Kaleta been out with a bone bruise from a hard shot???

There is NOTHING that would leave anyone to believe Miller has a concussion. He didn't fly with the team moral support? What is this a high school cheer leading competitions... Moral support??? Seriously... :puke:

JD
04-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Sure stood tall against the Caps.... Come on man.

We all like Enroth. Stop with this bench Miller nonsense...
:offair:
Sounds like you pulled an OP and didn't even watch the game. 3 goals were on deflections, 1 was even off of 2 players.

PTI
04-06-2011, 11:52 AM
If you move forward with Enroth in the playoffs then you to trade Miller in the offseason. Miller has more ego than Tim Thomas.

OpIv37
04-06-2011, 11:52 AM
miller's last four games aren't totally representative of his level of play.

so he got two shutouts in one week. I know you guys are watching the game. there is a different feel with the team. with miller in net, there is always a worry that a mindnumbingly painful goal is going to go in. He'll stand on his head for 5 minutes at a time, and then let a weak one in.

I still think it's a factor of him not being 100%.

I would just run with enroth through the end of the season if there is any hesitation on his health.

I also think ruff said it best that "miller is our guy, but everyone on the team is held accountable for their play. he will need to be good."

I put that in quotes, buts not a direct quote. He said he believes in miller but that enroth has played well and miller needs to play better than that. Who can argue.

Maybe it's my own personal nerves/perception, but I thought there was a different feel with Enroth in the net. It felt like I was watching basketball, as if the other team was going to score almost every time they got a clean shot off. The Sabres seemed to feel this way as well, as they did everything they could to avoid clean shots.

To be fair, Enroth has come up with some huge saves in this recent stint, but I still feel like he's relatively untested at the NHL level.

THATHURMANATOR
04-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Sounds like you pulled an OP and didn't even watch the game. 3 goals were on deflections, 1 was even off of 2 players.
I did watch the game. Don't tell me Miller would get the same pass you are giving Enroth....

JD
04-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Are you kidding me with this. CONSPIRACY THEORY FOLKS.....

I was watching the game where he got hit under the pads with freaking blast right in the shoulder. How long has Kaleta been out with a bone bruise from a hard shot???

There is NOTHING that would leave anyone to believe Miller has a concussion. He didn't fly with the team moral support? What is this a high school cheer leading competitions... Moral support??? Seriously... :puke:

Call it what you want, pal.
Miller stayed in the game after the shot, no? But then he misses the next 3 because of it and doesn't fly with the team? Everyone knows Miller is the voice in the locker room, the real leader.. so you wouldn't want him there with the boys in the most important games of the season??

That post is a ****ing idiot.

JD
04-06-2011, 11:54 AM
I did watch the game. Don't tell me Miller would get the same pass you are giving Enroth....
They were flukey ****ing goals, and yes I would. The defense wasn't playing well and the referees were pulling **** out of their ass.

OpIv37
04-06-2011, 11:54 AM

The 1st and 2nd goals against the Caps were 100% on Enroth. The first one popped straight up in the air and went in behind him after he didn't stop it clean, and the 2nd one was a result of Enroth himself poke-checking it to a waiting Cap in the slot, rather than clearing it to the corner or covering up. I guarantee that neither of those goals happen with Miller in net.

JD
04-06-2011, 12:03 PM
The 1st and 2nd goals against the Caps were 100% on Enroth. The first one popped straight up in the air and went in behind him after he didn't stop it clean, and the 2nd one was a result of Enroth himself poke-checking it to a waiting Cap in the slot, rather than clearing it to the corner or covering up. I guarantee that neither of those goals happen with Miller in net.

So you're implying Miller would have made the same saves in that game? Like I said 3 of the goals weren't Enroths fault (hence 5-3=2goals in the first)

Have you ever heard of the the "Ryan Miller Shutout" or "Mr. Softie"? For as many amazing saves as Miller has made this year, he's given up just as many ****ty goals.

Proposing sure did him in! :funny:

G Wolly
04-06-2011, 12:19 PM
I guarantee that neither of those goals happen with Miller in net.

Yea I agree.

He would have allowed two other untimely, poorly positioned goals.

Mski
04-06-2011, 12:27 PM
as far as riding the "hot Hand" there isnt a better place to do it than the playoffs! once they come along its a 7 game season, take the guy who gets you the wins, regardless of his spot on the depth chart.... if that guy is Enroth, so be it, but keep him on a very short leash

THATHURMANATOR
04-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Call it what you want, pal.
Miller stayed in the game after the shot, no? But then he misses the next 3 because of it and doesn't fly with the team? Everyone knows Miller is the voice in the locker room, the real leader.. so you wouldn't want him there with the boys in the most important games of the season??

That post is a ****ing idiot.

You ever hear of swelling as the night progresses PAAAAL? Haven't you ever been hit with a shot in street hockey, or by a pitch playing baseball etc... You generally are ok to keep playing but as you slow down and cool off the swelling really increases and the pain becomes much greater.

And I am the idiot. You sound like a WGR whiner line caller. The worst thing a person could be.

THATHURMANATOR
04-06-2011, 12:49 PM
GUYS I HEARD THAT MILLER ACTUALLY IS DEAD AND THEY REPLACED HIM WITH A LOOK ALIKE THAT IS WHY HE ISN'T PLAYING.... conspiracy theory.....

G Wolly
04-06-2011, 12:53 PM
GUYS I HEARD THAT MILLER ACTUALLY IS DEAD AND THEY REPLACED HIM WITH A LOOK ALIKE THAT IS WHY HE ISN'T PLAYING.... conspiracy theory.....

link?

THATHURMANATOR
04-06-2011, 12:55 PM
link?
It is coming from an inside source who had lunch with Lindy Ruff's cousin's hair stylist.

G Wolly
04-06-2011, 01:08 PM
It is coming from an inside source who had lunch with Lindy Ruff's cousin's hair stylist.

Is she hot?

trapezeus
04-06-2011, 02:19 PM
thurm, you are such a drama queen. because someone else thinks that enroth actually has the team playing a better brand of hockey, you feel like the sky is falling.

Past performance isn't always a future indicator. Miller has played well, but below his norm the last couple years.

OpIv37
04-06-2011, 02:29 PM
thurm, you are such a drama queen. because someone else thinks that enroth actually has the team playing a better brand of hockey, you feel like the sky is falling.

Past performance isn't always a future indicator. Miller has played well, but below his norm the last couple years.

he won the Vezina and the silver medal LAST YEAR. If you want to say he's below his norm this year, I'll agree to that. But the last couple of years? No friggin way. Last year was probably his best year ever.

G Wolly
04-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Last year was probably his best year ever.

And the past doesn't always indicate future success.

It seems to me like his whole attitude is different, which I don't think is a good thing.

trapezeus
04-06-2011, 02:39 PM
last year was more of an outlier, and i did mis-speak when i wrote that.
He had a hell of a year, but even in that big year, his gold medal game OT goal was practically the same goal alfredson scored in 07.

I'm not bashing miller, but he isn't a hasek goalie. he isn't going to steal you games. i don't think enroth will either, but for whatever reason, the team seems to buy into lindy's defense first mantra with enroth in net. They seem overly reliant to let miller hang out in the defensive zone and be bombarded with shots.

Miller routinely faces 30+ shots a night for the last several years.

enroth has seemed to face between 20-25 for most nights that he's in.

So my question to you is, do you go with miller because that's what you are supposed to do, or do you go with enroth because the team simply plays better around him?

OpIv37
04-06-2011, 02:41 PM
So my question to you is, do you go with miller because that's what you are supposed to do, or do you go with enroth because the team simply plays better around him?

In an ideal world, you get the team to play as hard in front of Miller as they do in front of Enroth, and then you win a ****load of games. Whether or not that's realistic, well, I'm not really sure.

THATHURMANATOR
04-06-2011, 03:31 PM

Not a drama queen. I do like Enroth a lot.

My point is simple however. Starting Enroth over a healthy Miller is idiotic. Thankfully Lindy isn't an idiot and will start Miller if he is healthy.

THATHURMANATOR
04-06-2011, 03:32 PM
You go with Miller because he is the better goalie. What other reason could there be?

trapezeus
04-06-2011, 03:32 PM
in an ideal world, you get a chance to see enroth over the same sampling period and make a decision.

But we don't live in an ideal world. We have the data we have. i think we have enough to role with enroth at this point until miller is absolutely 100% healthy. and i think you put miller on a short rope. "You struggle, you are out."

When the sabres coddle miller, he becomes average. when the stakes are raised, he usually performs well.

G Wolly
04-06-2011, 05:50 PM
You go with Miller because he is the better goalie. What other reason could there be?

You only feel that way because he's the only goalie we've seen play for the past 3 years. With very minimal play by our back-ups because they weren't reliable.

THATHURMANATOR
04-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Miller is CLEARLY the better option. How can you not see this?

G Wolly
04-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Miller is CLEARLY the better option. How can you not see this?

If this were a season or two ago, I'd agree with you.

This season, Miller hasn't been much better than average.

If our D continues how they've been, we need a goalie who can steal games for us. And this season, it seems to be Enroth who hasn't lost a game in regulation, gaining us at least 1 point in each of his starts.

Maybe Miller IS the better option.

But not right now.

PTI
04-07-2011, 05:21 PM
WELL, THEY ALREADY SAID, MILLER IS PLAYING FRIDAY.

If he plays bad, they still have to play him on Saturday. It would be full blown goalie controversy if the Sabres lose both, Miller plays both, and the playoffs are missed.

JD
04-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Yea I agree.

He would have allowed two other untimely, poorly positioned goals.
ZING!
:lolabove:

JD
04-07-2011, 10:24 PM
WELL, THEY ALREADY SAID, MILLER IS PLAYING FRIDAY.

If he plays bad, they still have to play him on Saturday. It would be full blown goalie controversy if the Sabres lose both, Miller plays both, and the playoffs are missed.
Link? I heard this weekend.. that was it.

And GW, I can guarantee Thurm hasn't watched more than half of the games this year.. just by the way he's hailing Miller as some sort of mythical creature.

PTI
04-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Link? I heard this weekend.. that was it.

And GW, I can guarantee Thurm hasn't watched more than half of the games this year.. just by the way he's hailing Miller as some sort of mythical creature.

Well, I spoke with my dad last night and he was listening to the radio and they said that, so, no link.

PTI
04-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Guess it will be Enroth.....