X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

Recap of Tuesday's show and Bills draft info

Cookie in the other thread did a god job of a quick recap, so I'll steal a little bit of the way he worded it, and add my own to it for a quick recap:

--Bills would like a team in the 10-12 area to love one of the QBs enough to trade up to them to take them if that QB is still on the board at #3. Hope to pick up an extra 2nd and maybe more along with the swap of 1sts.

--Cincy, even at 4, may be willing to move up 1 spot if they really like Gabbert and/or Newton and believe we are going to take that QB if he is there.

--Tampa may be a team to keep an eye on. They have #20, so it would be a tough trade for us to make, and they probably don't have enough firepower to get to #3, but they have Ronde Barber who's 35 and Aqib Talib who is facing major legal issues and/or suspension. They'd like to get a CB early in draft. They'd like to get a CB early in draft, and Peterson and Amukamara probably won't be there at their pick.

-There's a split on Newton within OBD...some really like him, some aren't so sure they want him as the face of the franchise; Some think Chan is the perfect coach to get the most out of Newton. I heard Nix is wavering on him, while Chan likes him. However, Brian Galliford of Buffalo Rumblings has heard exactly the opposite. One thing we've both heard is that there is a difference of opinion on him between the two. What I heard wasn't that Nix hates him. Heard he likes him, but isn't sold on him being the face of the franchise, paying all that money, and believing he will be a guy they can rely on and win with for the next 10 years.

-Gabbert and Dareus are at the top of the board. If they're gone...they'll look at trading down or possibly take Von Miller. But even though they are at the top of the board, they aren't married to either one and will entertain offers for #3 whether either or both are there or not.

-One guy Nix likes if they do trade down is JJ Watt. Likes him a lot, just not at #3.

-Nix also likes TE Luke Stocker (Tennessee) a lot. Makes sense because I was told last year they liked Tennessee QB Jonathan Crompton late in draft. He went in 5th. Too early for Bills. BUT, that means they saw a lot of film on him last two years.

Remember, it take two to tango and make a deal. Even if Bills want to, there are no guarantees any other team will be willing.

To listen to the podcast and the entire show, go to www.SalSports.com

It will be up sometime overnight!
    Last edited by Coach Sal; 04-06-2011, 12:47 AM.
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage
  • djjimkelly
    • Apr 2003

Re: Recap of Tuesday's show and Bills draft info

this is all great news. it seems like its very unlikely cam newton will be a bill.

trading down a few spots would ideal. we can now hope if this is their thought that it can happen

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

Nix likes Newton far more than Gailey. The same insider that told me Spiller was their 2010 pick if none of the top 3 OT's fell to #9, told me this last week.

Bills still haven't settled on their pick at all and do hope for a phone call.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• nolimit
        Member of the Official Drew Bledsoe Truce!
        • Aug 2003

i think a double trade down would be nice...stock piling picks...i really want our qb this year and i would be happy with mallett, locker, and my favorite if we dont take gabbert or newton.....ponder.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
          • Sep 2008

What a great show, I also liked the NFL Now segment, especially the early portion where you had that Attorney on to talk about the court hearing between players and the NFL. 2 of the most information filled segments in quite some time that I can remember. It's amazing how well shows like those can go even when there really isn't a lot to talk about. Fantastic job. JMO
          Last edited by Extremebillsfan247; 04-06-2011, 07:08 AM.

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

Good stuff Coach!

What Im hearing mirrors you on how OBD is split with Gailey liking Newton but Nix unsure. I do know Fairley is off their board, and Bowers is not really in consideration either.

I know they like Watt but Ive heard they are far higher on Cam Jordan (which Pat intially broke). So high that he is in play at #3. I think the pick ends up sticking at three is going to be either Jordan or Miller.

If they trade down in the top 12 they are going to target Jordan

If its down in the lower 15 its going to be for an OT or Watt depending on who slides where.

Im very confident we will not be taking a QB in Round 1.
            COMING SOON...
            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• DesertFox24
              • Jul 2005

Thank God on not taking a QB in round 1. I would rather have Ponder, Dalton, or McElroy than those guys.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                Good stuff Coach!

What Im hearing mirrors you on how OBD is split with Gailey liking Newton but Nix unsure. I do know Fairley is off their board, and Bowers is not really in consideration either.

I know they like Watt but Ive heard they are far higher on Cam Jordan (which Pat intially broke). So high that he is in play at #3. I think the pick ends up sticking at three is going to be either Jordan or Miller.

If its down in the lower 15 its going to be for an OT or Watt depending on who slides where.

I think both CoachSal and Galliford would probably agree that there is definite interest there in Cam Jordan. I could be wrong though, but that is the impression I get.
                Last edited by Extremebillsfan247; 04-06-2011, 08:13 AM.

Comment

• jamze132
                  Don’t hate…
                  • Jun 2003

Well if Nix has Gabbert at the top of their board, we are doomed.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by DesertFox24
                    Thank God on not taking a QB in round 1. I would rather have Ponder, Dalton, or McElroy than those guys.
                    I wouldn't sleep on Kaepernick either. If we get an extra 2nd rounder, he could be our pick. JMO

Comment

• Coach Sal
                      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Extremebillsfan247
                      What a great show, I also liked the NFL Now segment, especially the early portion where you had that Attorney on to talk about the court hearing between players and the NFL. 2 of the most information filled segments in quite some time that I can remember. It's amazing how well shows like those can go even when there really isn't a lot to talk about. Fantastic job. JMO
                      What a great compliment. Thank you very much. We try to give good shows, and hope people are informed and entertained.
                      Click to listen:

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Comment

• Coach Sal
                        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                        Good stuff Coach!

I gave you a couple plugs on the show. Don't know if you heard them.

You do a great job.
                        Click to listen:

Comment

• whkfc
                          Theres Fast Food, Then Theres KFC
                          • May 2003

Originally posted by Night Train
                          Nix likes Newton far more than Gailey. The same insider that told me Spiller was their 2010 pick if none of the top 3 OT's fell to #9, told me this last week.

Bills still haven't settled on their pick at all and do hope for a phone call.
                          Ive heard the exact same thing. But ive also heard Newtons visit with Gailey went very well last week.

Comment

• WeAreArthurMoates
                            • Feb 2009

Great stuff Sal. I love the fact we may most certainly be willing to trade down and that we will not be taking Green or Peterson at 3. Love those players but you don't build your franchise around outside skill players.

Comment

• elltrain22
                              • Sep 2003

That is such an awesome show Coach!! I wish I could see it every week, but w/ the little one, work, and everything else, its tough for me to squeeze your show in. Whenever I do get to listen to your show, its always a treat, and I always think how much longer will you be on ESPN or some other major cable sports show. Your so good at what you do, and we all appreicate the work you do. Thanks, and also big thanks for the nice bit of inside info.
                              If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

Working...
                              X