PDA

View Full Version : Recap of Tuesday's show and Bills draft info

Coach Sal
04-06-2011, 12:14 AM
Cookie in the other thread did a god job of a quick recap, so I'll steal a little bit of the way he worded it, and add my own to it for a quick recap:

--Bills would like a team in the 10-12 area to love one of the QBs enough to trade up to them to take them if that QB is still on the board at #3. Hope to pick up an extra 2nd and maybe more along with the swap of 1sts.

--Cincy, even at 4, may be willing to move up 1 spot if they really like Gabbert and/or Newton and believe we are going to take that QB if he is there.

--Tampa may be a team to keep an eye on. They have #20, so it would be a tough trade for us to make, and they probably don't have enough firepower to get to #3, but they have Ronde Barber who's 35 and Aqib Talib who is facing major legal issues and/or suspension. They'd like to get a CB early in draft. They'd like to get a CB early in draft, and Peterson and Amukamara probably won't be there at their pick.

-There's a split on Newton within OBD...some really like him, some aren't so sure they want him as the face of the franchise; Some think Chan is the perfect coach to get the most out of Newton. I heard Nix is wavering on him, while Chan likes him. However, Brian Galliford of Buffalo Rumblings has heard exactly the opposite. One thing we've both heard is that there is a difference of opinion on him between the two. What I heard wasn't that Nix hates him. Heard he likes him, but isn't sold on him being the face of the franchise, paying all that money, and believing he will be a guy they can rely on and win with for the next 10 years.

-Gabbert and Dareus are at the top of the board. If they're gone...they'll look at trading down or possibly take Von Miller. But even though they are at the top of the board, they aren't married to either one and will entertain offers for #3 whether either or both are there or not.

-One guy Nix likes if they do trade down is JJ Watt. Likes him a lot, just not at #3.

-Nix also likes TE Luke Stocker (Tennessee) a lot. Makes sense because I was told last year they liked Tennessee QB Jonathan Crompton late in draft. He went in 5th. Too early for Bills. BUT, that means they saw a lot of film on him last two years.

Remember, it take two to tango and make a deal. Even if Bills want to, there are no guarantees any other team will be willing.

To listen to the podcast and the entire show, go to www.SalSports.com

It will be up sometime overnight!

djjimkelly
04-06-2011, 01:32 AM
this is all great news. it seems like its very unlikely cam newton will be a bill.

trading down a few spots would ideal. we can now hope if this is their thought that it can happen

Night Train
04-06-2011, 03:34 AM
Nix likes Newton far more than Gailey. The same insider that told me Spiller was their 2010 pick if none of the top 3 OT's fell to #9, told me this last week.

Bills still haven't settled on their pick at all and do hope for a phone call.

nolimit
04-06-2011, 06:45 AM
i think a double trade down would be nice...stock piling picks...i really want our qb this year and i would be happy with mallett, locker, and my favorite if we dont take gabbert or newton.....ponder.

Extremebillsfan247
04-06-2011, 07:07 AM
What a great show, I also liked the NFL Now segment, especially the early portion where you had that Attorney on to talk about the court hearing between players and the NFL. 2 of the most information filled segments in quite some time that I can remember. It's amazing how well shows like those can go even when there really isn't a lot to talk about. Fantastic job. JMO

DraftBoy
04-06-2011, 07:27 AM
Good stuff Coach!

What Im hearing mirrors you on how OBD is split with Gailey liking Newton but Nix unsure. I do know Fairley is off their board, and Bowers is not really in consideration either.

I know they like Watt but Ive heard they are far higher on Cam Jordan (which Pat intially broke). So high that he is in play at #3. I think the pick ends up sticking at three is going to be either Jordan or Miller.

If they trade down in the top 12 they are going to target Jordan

If its down in the lower 15 its going to be for an OT or Watt depending on who slides where.

Im very confident we will not be taking a QB in Round 1.

DesertFox24
04-06-2011, 07:41 AM
Thank God on not taking a QB in round 1. I would rather have Ponder, Dalton, or McElroy than those guys.

Extremebillsfan247
04-06-2011, 07:53 AM
Good stuff Coach!

What Im hearing mirrors you on how OBD is split with Gailey liking Newton but Nix unsure. I do know Fairley is off their board, and Bowers is not really in consideration either.

I know they like Watt but Ive heard they are far higher on Cam Jordan (which Pat intially broke). So high that he is in play at #3. I think the pick ends up sticking at three is going to be either Jordan or Miller.

If its down in the lower 15 its going to be for an OT or Watt depending on who slides where.

Im very confident we will not be taking a QB in Round 1. I think both CoachSal and Galliford would probably agree that there is definite interest there in Cam Jordan. I could be wrong though, but that is the impression I get.

jamze132
04-06-2011, 07:54 AM
Well if Nix has Gabbert at the top of their board, we are doomed.

Extremebillsfan247
04-06-2011, 07:56 AM
Thank God on not taking a QB in round 1. I would rather have Ponder, Dalton, or McElroy than those guys.I wouldn't sleep on Kaepernick either. If we get an extra 2nd rounder, he could be our pick. JMO

Coach Sal
04-06-2011, 08:04 AM
What a great show, I also liked the NFL Now segment, especially the early portion where you had that Attorney on to talk about the court hearing between players and the NFL. 2 of the most information filled segments in quite some time that I can remember. It's amazing how well shows like those can go even when there really isn't a lot to talk about. Fantastic job. JMO

What a great compliment. Thank you very much. We try to give good shows, and hope people are informed and entertained.

Coach Sal
04-06-2011, 08:06 AM
Good stuff Coach!

I gave you a couple plugs on the show. Don't know if you heard them.

You do a great job.

whkfc
04-06-2011, 09:17 AM
Nix likes Newton far more than Gailey. The same insider that told me Spiller was their 2010 pick if none of the top 3 OT's fell to #9, told me this last week.

Bills still haven't settled on their pick at all and do hope for a phone call.

Ive heard the exact same thing. But ive also heard Newtons visit with Gailey went very well last week.

WeAreArthurMoates
04-06-2011, 09:18 AM
Great stuff Sal. I love the fact we may most certainly be willing to trade down and that we will not be taking Green or Peterson at 3. Love those players but you don't build your franchise around outside skill players.

elltrain22
04-06-2011, 09:42 AM
That is such an awesome show Coach!! I wish I could see it every week, but w/ the little one, work, and everything else, its tough for me to squeeze your show in. Whenever I do get to listen to your show, its always a treat, and I always think how much longer will you be on ESPN or some other major cable sports show. Your so good at what you do, and we all appreicate the work you do. Thanks, and also big thanks for the nice bit of inside info.

Coach Sal
04-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Great stuff Sal. I love the fact we may most certainly be willing to trade down and that we will not be taking Green or Peterson at 3. Love those players but you don't build your franchise around outside skill players.

Thanks. I wouldn't say it is a certainty we won't draft one of them (or someone else we would be surprised by). Anything can happen, and this is the time of year for deception.

But, I believe they are targeting the guys I mentioned from what I've been told.

Coach Sal
04-06-2011, 09:50 AM
That is such an awesome show Coach!! I wish I could see it every week, but w/ the little one, work, and everything else, its tough for me to squeeze your show in. Whenever I do get to listen to your show, its always a treat, and I always think how much longer will you be on ESPN or some other major cable sports show. Your so good at what you do, and we all appreicate the work you do. Thanks, and also big thanks for the nice bit of inside info.

No prob. Thanks for being a loyal follower/listener when you can.

I'd love one day to have a bigger stage to talk about the Bills and other Buffalo sports, if not national sports.

Who kows what may happen?! :)

Ickybaluky
04-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Makes sense because I was told last year they liked Tennessee QB Jonathan Crompton late in draft. He went in 5th. Too early for Bills. BUT, that means they saw a lot of film on him last two years.

Not for nothing but Crompton was cut and on the street for about 2 months before the Patriots signed him to their practice squad. It seemed if Buffalo liked him so much they could have signed him to their own PS in September or October.

Coach Sal
04-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Not for nothing but Crompton was cut and on the street for about 2 months before the Patriots signed him to their practice squad. It seemed if Buffalo liked him so much they could have signed him to their own PS in September or October.

Orrrrrr.........they liked him heading into the draft, then drafted Levi Brown and had already invested in developing him.

You make it sound like I said they were in love with him. Not the case.

Situations change as time moves on. All I know is they considered drafting him if was there later in draft last year.

DraftBoy
04-06-2011, 10:26 AM
I gave you a couple plugs on the show. Don't know if you heard them.

You do a great job.

Havent had a chance to listen yet, be checking it out on my lunch break. If you do your mock draft broadcast again be sure to let me know. That was a blast last year.

k-oneputt
04-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Crompton, Brown they both stink so it doesn't even matter.

mrbojanglezs
04-06-2011, 10:40 AM
Good stuff Coach!

Ya, but according to coach they have gabbert and dareus 1/2 2/1 so if gabbert is there at 3, they will take him

Novacane
04-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Great show! I am so happy to hear Nix is not sure on Newton. If there is a split at OBD they are not taking him IMO.

DraftBoy
04-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Ya, but according to coach they have gabbert and dareus 1/2 2/1 so if gabbert is there at 3, they will take him

I understand that, Coach and I likely have different sources and I know the Bills like Gabbert, but Ive been led to believe they question his franchise player ability.

Nobody is saying Im right, and Coach is wrong. Based on what Im hearing I dont think the Bills are going QB no matter who is available QB wise.

DraftBoy
04-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Kiper just called Watt a lock for top 15 pick.

patmoran2006
04-06-2011, 12:02 PM
I enjoyed last night's show and here is the biggest reason why.. There's nothing more I hate on TV, radio and internet than a host having a guest on who agrees with EVERYTHING the host says. As Sal and many others know, different reporters talk to different people, and get different opinions and sometimes, different scoops. It depends who you talk to, and at what time. Clearly with Brian Galliford as the guest, there was no pre-rehearsed script and thank God it wasn't "yeah, I agree" and "uh huh" all over the place. Sal has heard some things through his guys, and Brian heard some different things through some obvious different people. It was nice to hear some hear some agreements and also some differences of opinions on some things.. Made for solid listening.

BTW, Because I know for a fact Sal is a credible cat who doesn't just make **** up to get out there, I am now feverishly tyring to find out some things about JJ Watt. To be perfectly honest I have never heard his name once linked to Bills before last night. There's obvoiusly at least some interest, because he is in fact at One Bills Drive today.

I'm working on a piece right now. There's only two things I've been able to learn that I'm quite confident in. One is that Cameron Jordan remains a guy the Bills are highly interested in. However, I do think that No. 3 is too high and just as with Watt, I'm assuming they are also preparing and maybe even hoping for a trade down option. The weird thing about Jordan is he is the perfect "hybrid" DE as he can play in a 3-4 or 4-3 without having to move around. While that's huge for the Bills, who will run it, it's not as important to other teams.. If the Bills don't take him, he may not go to the middle of round one and (God forbid) fall all the way to NE at 17.

The other thing that Im confident in at this point is that the Bills are NOT going to draft a quarterback with their first pick, and probably not with their second or third pick either. In fact, I hear right now the Bills bigger priority (which may not even be through the draft) is finding a better backup option than worrying about a sucessor to Fitzpatrick. I've been told with certainty that Brian Brohm will not be back next year and with only Levi Brown in tow, the Bills are going to definitely do something about that.

Good show. Agree with some stuff, not with others, but most importantly, it kept me interested in listening the whole time.

Nighthawk
04-06-2011, 12:05 PM
I just want them to draft Von Miller and watch him blossom into one of the best pass rushing OLB in the NFL.

patmoran2006
04-06-2011, 12:06 PM
one more thing I forgot about Sal's quarterback draft stuff he discussed, that is directly related-- is that if you're a Bills fan AND you are hoping for a trade-down big time, NOT having the lockout lifted before the draft could be a good thing.

Trades before the draft, which could happen is lockout is lifted, gives some QB needy time to work some deals (Palmer, McNabb, Young, etc). But if that option isn't available to those teams and they don't know when/if that will happen, they may grow more desperate to grab a Gabbert or Newton at the top, which of course helps the Bills leverage.

patmoran2006
04-06-2011, 12:07 PM
I just want them to draft Von Miller and watch him blossom into one of the best pass rushing OLB in the NFL.

Really, REALLY starting to think you're going to get your wish.

TigerJ
04-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the recap. Trying to watch a live TV feed with the dialup internet that I have on my home computer would be an exercize in frustration, so I really depend on the recap. That the Bills are hoping to move down doesn't surprise me in the least. If they move down to 10-12, they need more than a second for compensation. Even moving down 3 or 4 spots I would think they'd want a second, and it would be a higher second at that. The perception that Cincinnati wants a QB is really the fuel that could make a trade work.

That there is a difference of opinion on Cam Newton is hardly a surprise. There's a difference of opinion in the media, among Bills fans, virtually everywhere you look. Why wouldn't there be a difference of opinion at OBD. At this point, I'm expecting that Carolina will resolve their difference of opinion by taking Newton at #1.

Other than Gailey's public comments, which you can always take with a grain of salt at this time of year, I had not heard from any kind of source I'd be tempted to trust that the Bills like Gabbert, so I definitely appreciate that news. The Bills' high opinion of Dareus confirms what I would have expected, as well as their opionion on trading down. That Nix likes JJ Watts (presumably over Cameron Jordan) is news to me.

All in all, it's pretty enlightening, and I appreciate it, Sal.

alohabillsfan
04-06-2011, 12:20 PM

Again try to read the tea leaves, Right now alot of "pundits" are predicting Newton to Carolina, and Dareus to Denver. Buffalo "leaks" info saying that they have Dareus/Gabbert 1/2. OK, so what they really want is someone to trade with Denver for Gabbert leaving the guy they really want in Dareus, or Denver takes Dareus and leaves Gabbert at 3 and Buffalo hoping to trade with someone who really wants him. With the scenario of dareus gone at 2 I think Buffalo would move down and take Jordan or Watt.

Ickybaluky
04-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Orrrrrr.........they liked him heading into the draft, then drafted Levi Brown and had already invested in developing him.

You make it sound like I said they were in love with him. Not the case.

Situations change as time moves on. All I know is they considered drafting him if was there later in draft last year.

That probably sounded more critical than intended, it was more a comment that popped into my head.

I just couldn't imagine the Bills were that interested in him. Really, both him and Brown were on the street for 3 weeks before the Bills brought back Brown (after cutting Edwards). The only team to work Crompton out while he was a FA were the Jets and Pats. They didn't even give him a look for the PS.

I am sure they did a lot of film work on him, and the Brown pick shows they wanted to bring in a late-round QB, but they must not have liked him much considering they showed no interest in him when he was available. That is all I am saying.