PDA

View Full Version : Buddy Nix on Local Radio Show in Birmingham, AL

El Guapo
04-06-2011, 01:35 PM
He is from here, but the focus of the segment was Cam Newton. Said he has disregarded the Pro Football Weekly article about Cam. Blew off the whole article because the guy has no basis for his opinions.

Said they do look at position of need, in conjunction with BPA. They will not look soley at who is the BPA at their pick. Interesting comment on that was, and I am paraphrasing here -- "If you are San Diego and you have Rivers, you don't take a QB, even if a QB is the BPA." He did not use the Bills in that example. Hmmmm.

Gabbert was never mentioned.

Commented briefly on Dareus and Fairley. Said both were good players. He said Von Miller will be a good player if he can stay healthy (is he injury prone?).

For what it's worth...

PromoTheRobot
04-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Nix is not about to insult Newton on an Alabama station. Even if you don't draft Newton, you may draft a guy who is repped by Newton's agent. So it's never a good idea to burn bridges.

PTR

DraftBoy
04-06-2011, 01:48 PM
He is from here, but the focus of the segment was Cam Newton. Said he has disregarded the Pro Football Weekly article about Cam. Blew off the whole article because the guy has no basis for his opinions.

Said they do look at position of need, in conjunction with BPA. They will not look soley at who is the BPA at their pick. Interesting comment on that was, and I am paraphrasing here -- "If you are San Diego and you have Rivers, you don't take a QB, even if a QB is the BPA." He did not use the Bills in that example. Hmmmm.

Commented briefly on Dareus and Fairley. Said both were good players. He said Von Miller will be a good player if he can stay healthy (is he injury prone?).
For what it's worth...
Concern about his size. He's 6'3, 243 but he's got very thin legs. Not a huge concern for me. He's played in 47 of 51 games in his career and hasnt missed one since week 6 of his Freshman year.

psubills62
04-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Nix is not about to insult Newton on an Alabama station. Even if you don't draft Newton, you may draft a guy who is repped by Newton's agent. So it's never a good idea to burn bridges.

PTR
They're not going to burn bridges with any prospect anywhere.

madness
04-06-2011, 03:33 PM
"I heard about the article that the guy wrote in Pro Football Weekly, and to be honest with you, when I heard him say he'd never met the guy, that was the last I paid any attention to it," Nix said.

Asked to discuss his own impressions of Newton's character, Nix was predictably vague, but did offer up one interesting nugget.

"I wouldn't discuss his character publicly either way, but I will say this to you: he has been a guy that has been a good leader everywhere he's been," Nix said. "I've never heard anything like the guy reported about his relationship with his teammates or in the locker room. That's about as far as I'd go about his character."

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/4/6/2094735/nolan-nawrocki-cam-newton-report-buddy-nix-bills

tampabay25690
04-06-2011, 07:10 PM

For what it's worth...

I listened to it as well....
It was interesting to hear him say he went to Texas A@M before the season, saw him at the Sr bowl and had him to OBD.....
Never have anything away. You can tell he know alot about the South guys. Has alot of insight Im sure about Cam.......He did say that he has talked to others about CAM and No one has said that he wasn't a good leader.....
Good interview though

Nighthawk
04-06-2011, 07:36 PM

For what it's worth...

What? But there are some on this board who keep saying that you HAVE to take the BPA? Pretty much is how I feel about it...you take BPA at your position of need when you're picking this high. The differences between the players at the top of the draft are minimal.

DraftBoy
04-06-2011, 07:49 PM
What? But there are some on this board who keep saying that you HAVE to take the BPA? Pretty much is how I feel about it...you take BPA at your position of need when you're picking this high. The differences between the players at the top of the draft are minimal.

The reason some say you take BPA is because we have so many positions of need that you have tons of options on who to take.

Nighthawk
04-06-2011, 07:55 PM
The reason some say you take BPA is because we have so many positions of need that you have tons of options on who to take.

But you don't take a position that is arguably the least impactful of any in terms of turning around a defense...CB. That's just stupid talk...

DraftBoy
04-06-2011, 08:11 PM
But you don't take a position that is arguably the least impactful of any in terms of turning around a defense...CB. That's just stupid talk...

Id love to see you argue the merits of impact, but it would be pointless. Both pass rush and cover corners provide great value.

k-oneputt
04-06-2011, 08:11 PM
at least they are not talking the wr anymore.

YardRat
04-06-2011, 08:13 PM

For what it's worth...

Apparently that doesn't apply if you are San Diego and you already have Brees.

k-oneputt
04-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Apparently that doesn't apply if you are San Diego and you already have Brees.

Brees wasn't Brees then.

Nighthawk
04-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Id love to see you argue the merits of impact, but it would be pointless. Both pass rush and cover corners provide great value.

No, pass rushers are much more impactful when rebuilding a defense from how bad the Bills is.

DraftBoy
04-06-2011, 08:46 PM
No, pass rushers are much more impactful when rebuilding a defense from how bad the Bills is.

You just changed your entire statement from impact on a defense, to now impact on a rebuilding defense.

Regardless of that I still disagree about how much more of an impact they have. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Nighthawk
04-06-2011, 09:09 PM
You just changed your entire statement from impact on a defense, to now impact on a rebuilding defense.

Regardless of that I still disagree about how much more of an impact they have. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Nope, I didn't...I've always stated that a CB cannot make a bad defense markedly better, but can make a good defense better. I've never said anything different.

Name me one CB that came into a poor defense and turned it around? Where as, you can definitely come up with a pass rusher who vastly improved a poor defense.

DraftBoy
04-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Nope, I didn't...I've always stated that a CB cannot make a bad defense markedly better, but can make a good defense better. I've never said anything different.

Name me one CB that came into a poor defense and turned it around? Where as, you can definitely come up with a pass rusher who vastly improved a poor defense.

Simply re-read your posts above. Im not making it up. First time you said "defense" then you switched it to rebuilding defense.

Really? Why? What's the point? I name a CB you find a DL or LB to say nuh-uh. You name a DL or LB and I find a CB to say nuh-uh. Why can't we just agree both are important?

Nighthawk
04-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Simply re-read your posts above. Im not making it up. First time you said "defense" then you switched it to rebuilding defense.

Really? Why? What's the point? I name a CB you find a DL or LB to say nuh-uh. You name a DL or LB and I find a CB to say nuh-uh. Why can't we just agree both are important?

You need to read all of my posts...I'm not going to write the same thing all the time. If you do that, you will see that I have always stated that point of view. Never have wavered from it. I agree CB is important, but not enough to justify taking over a front seven player for the Bills. As I've stated before, CB does not make sense for the Bills.

DraftBoy
04-06-2011, 09:48 PM
You need to read all of my posts...I'm not going to write the same thing all the time. If you do that, you will see that I have always stated that point of view. Never have wavered from it. I agree CB is important, but not enough to justify taking over a front seven player for the Bills. As I've stated before, CB does not make sense for the Bills.

But LB does given the amount of players we have invested there already? You're sadly talking about our deepest position (note that does not mean our most talented).

Nighthawk
04-06-2011, 09:56 PM
But LB does given the amount of players we have invested there already? You're sadly talking about our deepest position (note that does not mean our most talented).

A pass rushing LB would be much more important to the success of the defense they want to run, 3-4, then a CB. Plus, I'm not so sure Von Miller isn't the best player in this draft.

TacklingDummy
04-06-2011, 10:16 PM
A good pass rush can make a average secondary look good. A good secondary looks bad when there is no pass rush.

It's the pass rush that creates turnovers.

Ed
04-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Why does Bill Polian think CB is one of the most important positions?

And even if a pass rusher can make a bigger impact then a CB, it doesn't mean there's automatically a pass rusher in this draft that can make a bigger impact then the best CB.

djjimkelly
04-07-2011, 01:27 AM
http://joxfm.com/FlashPlayer/default.asp?SPID=23646&ID=2154512

thats the link to the interview

just in case u want to listen to buddy

DraftBoy
04-07-2011, 07:15 AM
A pass rushing LB would be much more important to the success of the defense they want to run, 3-4, then a CB. Plus, I'm not so sure Von Miller isn't the best player in this draft.

You're not addressing my point, we have invested arguably 4 roster spots already to pass rushing LB, 2 of which have shown the ability to rush the passer (Merriman, and Moats), 1 was injured (Batten), and one has been a bust thus far (Maybin). You're now asking us to take a 5th with our best possible pick when we aren't even sure if he can come in and start for us at this point.

better days
04-07-2011, 07:17 AM
Why does Bill Polian think CB is one of the most important positions?

And even if a pass rusher can make a bigger impact then a CB, it doesn't mean there's automatically a pass rusher in this draft that can make a bigger impact then the best CB.

Provide a link that says he does, or at least point out where the article can be found that says he does. I know Dwight Freeney but I can't name the Colts CB's off the top of my head.

k-oneputt
04-07-2011, 08:07 AM
You're not addressing my point, we have invested arguably 4 roster spots already to pass rushing LB, 2 of which have shown the ability to rush the passer (Merriman, and Moats), 1 was injured (Batten), and one has been a bust thus far (Maybin). You're now asking us to take a 5th with our best possible pick when we aren't even sure if he can come in and start for us at this point.

Let's get realistic. If we use the 3rd pick on a pass rushing olb, Miller or Quinn, he will start for us on day one.
The rest of the group falls out as such:
Merriman - is a health question. Who knows how long he will last.
Moats- showed some rush ability but not even close to being considered a solid starter. Overrated thus far by many on this board.
Batten - another injury guy. 6th rd. pick from a small school. He may help but there is just as good a chance that he's wothless.
Maybin - we all know the story. On his last chance and I think is less then 50/50 to even make the team at this time.

So if we take another olb we will not be overloading a position that is already weak and doesn't produce.

cookie G
04-07-2011, 09:11 AM

Oh, c'mon now DB, the investment was 2 6th round picks and a FA who was cut by his former team.

That's like saying they don't need an OT because they drafted Ed Wang and Kyle Calloway last year, as well as bringing in a dozen FA's.

No...wait, that probably IS what they're thinking.

Philagape
04-07-2011, 09:37 AM

Why does the order matter so much? Turning this defense around is very likely a multi-year project. This team is heading for another mediocre year at best, no matter what they do this offseason.
If the next two drafts are good ones overall, then they'll be a contender, improved in several positions; at that point, who cares about the order in which they were built?
Besides, a pass rusher won't help much if opponents just continue to run for 200 yards a game and the offense stays inconsistent.
This isn't even addressing the individual merits of prospects, which still must be the primary factor; and the fact that drafts hinge on more than just the first round.

justasportsfan
04-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Let's get realistic. If we use the 3rd pick on a pass rushing olb, Miller or Quinn, he will start for us on day one.
Moats- showed some rush ability but not even close to being considered a solid starter. Overrated thus far by many on this board.
Batten - another injury guy. 6th rd. pick from a small school. He may help but there is just as good a chance that he's wothless.
Maybin - we all know the story. On his last chance and I think is less then 50/50 to even make the team at this time.

So if we take another olb we will not be overloading a position that is already weak and doesn't produce.

you would hope that #3 pick would start but that is not guaranteed. He'd have to learn the book and then battle it out for a spot. We have coaches now that don't start players based on where they were drafted.

DraftBoy
04-07-2011, 10:15 AM

Sadly I am being realistic, if we take Miller he is in no way guaranteed spot. Hell the guy has NEVER played LB in a defense before. He has a very steep learning curve to adjust to. He won't be able to pre-snap roam like he did at A&M, he will have responsibilities that he is not at all used to. To assume he's the #3 pick therefor auto starter after we spent money on Merriman is ridiculous.

I agree Moats is overrated but he has shown the ability to get after the passer at the NFL level. How you immediately bench him for a guy who has not shown that ability at this level is beyond me. If he beats him out in camp, fair is fair, but until that point Im not inserting an unproven and untested commodity in over a guy I know can at least apply pressure.

DraftBoy
04-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Oh, c'mon now DB, the investment was 2 6th round picks and a FA who was cut by his former team.

That's like saying they don't need an OT because they drafted Ed Wang and Kyle Calloway last year, as well as bringing in a dozen FA's.

No...wait, that probably IS what they're thinking.

Valid points all of them, I dont discredit it but let's also not act like Miller is some kind of polished LB who actually understands what a LB does in a 3-4 set either.

Dr. Lecter
04-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Valid points all of them, I dont discredit it but let's also not act like Miller is some kind of polished LB who actually understands what a LB does in a 3-4 set either.
Nobody does on the current roster either.

Figster
04-07-2011, 10:26 AM
Myself personally, I don't think you will find a GM out there that could possibly have more of an insight on the person and player of Auburns biggest Tiger, Cameron Newton. Buddy Nix's comment "Cam has been a good leader everywhere he's been" should squash any doubts of Newtons leadership abilities. Nix also squashed the rest of the negative comments made by the most recent outlandish attack on Newtons character.

At 6' 6" 248 Lbs, Newton is a mountain of a man at the QB position. Blessed with the speed and rushing skills of OJ Simpson, Cam rushed for 1,473 yards and scored over 20 TD's on the ground, 30 passing TD's and even had a spectacular highlight reel receiving TD in tight coverage. Newtons 603 yards rushing over a three game span were the most for an Auburn player in a three game stretch since RB Bo Jackson in 1985. Newton also broke Jim Sidles SEC rushing record for a Quarterback, Newton is the 1st QB in SEC History to throw for 2,000 and rush for 1,000 yards in a season. Cam Newton also finished the season with a sparkling 182 QB rating and led the Nation with over 10 yards per pass play average. (1st down per pass play average.)

Undefeated , Heisman, National Champ, I'm not sure anyone in the history of College Football has ever accomplished as much in one season as Cam Newton. The kid throws the team on his shoulders, marches to the Championship everywhere he goes, and then wins it.

Buddy Nix knows what he's got with Newton (hell on wheels) and Nix will draft Cam If he's available at number #3 in my opinion.

No way Nix passes on Cam Newton, no way...

k-oneputt
04-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Yes the 3rd pick in the draft if he is a lb starts day one on the Bills.

This is the worst defense in football.
And if he can't start then every scout should be fired.

k-oneputt
04-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Believe me Moats would go to the bench or moved back inside if Miller or Quinn is the pick.
They start with Merriman.

DraftBoy
04-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Nobody does on the current roster either.

You don't Merriman understand how to play 3-4 OLB?

Dr. Lecter
04-07-2011, 10:36 AM
You don't Merriman understand how to play 3-4 OLB?
He understands, but is no longer capable.

DraftBoy
04-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Yes the 3rd pick in the draft if he is a lb starts day one on the Bills.

This is the worst defense in football.
And if he can't start then every scout should be fired.

Or the maybe the guy making the pick should be fired. Im not saying Miller won't or shouldn't start. But he sure as hell shouldnt be handed the job.

DraftBoy
04-07-2011, 10:37 AM
He understands, but is no longer capable.

Not proven yet, though I lean towards agreeing with you.

Ill take guys who have a year in the system though over a guy who has never been asked to truly play LB before. On an understanding basis.

DraftBoy
04-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Believe me Moats would go to the bench or moved back inside if Miller or Quinn is the pick.
They start with Merriman.

Moving Moats inside may be one of the dumbest moves this organization could make. He is in no way equipped to be an ILB, the guy you kick inside is Batten.

cookie G
04-07-2011, 10:39 AM

No, I agree, I have serious questions with Miller myself. Some might see him as Ware - type, but I don't. I don't think I've seen him with a sack where he fully took on an OT. I don't see the dip-your-shoulder-and-move-around-the-edge type. The OT is going to have to fully whiff for him to get aound. He doesn't have the lower body strength to use whatever leverage he might gain. I don't see him being as effective as he was in college with the line-him-up-on-the-outside-just let-him-go situation.

He's a guy that a Capers or a Lebeau or other imaginative DC could really have fun with, I'm not sure we have that type of guy though. He needs to be moved around, hidden, shielded, stuff to make sure he has a clean shot at the QB.

In his favor, I think he can be a more rounded OLB than what he was at A and M, who used him almost exclusively as a pass rusher. He's definitely quick enough to drop into coverage. He's quick enough to show blitz and then drop back into a flat to confuse a QB. That's something I can't say we have on the roster right now.

As much as people see him as a pass rusher, I see more potential as a Jack Ham in him than I do a Lawrence Taylor. Of course, Jack Ham wasn't too bad.

You just have to know how to use him.

k-oneputt
04-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Or the maybe the guy making the pick should be fired. Im not saying Miller won't or shouldn't start. But he sure as hell shouldnt be handed the job.

Well he will be and he damn well better be the best player.

k-oneputt
04-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Quinn is more LT then Miller.

DraftBoy
04-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Well he will be and he damn well better be the best player.

I can just about guarantee you he won't be handed the job. That's not Gailey's style. He'll have every opportunity to earn it, but he won't just be given it.

k-oneputt
04-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Moving Moats inside may be one of the dumbest moves this organization could make. He is in no way equipped to be an ILB, the guy you kick inside is Batten.

I agree. I said last year it was stupid moving him inside, but there is no way he's starting over #3 and Merriman.

k-oneputt
04-07-2011, 10:43 AM
I can just about guarantee you he won't be handed the job. That's not Gailey's style. He'll have every opportunity to earn it, but he won't just be given it.

you can call it what you want. He will "earn" it then by opening day. I guarantee it.

k-oneputt
04-07-2011, 10:47 AM
You actually think they are going to take a guy with the 3rd pick and say he isn't good enough to start on this team and make themselves look like even dumber asses then we know they are ?

Philagape
04-07-2011, 10:48 AM
You actually think they are going to take a guy with the 3rd pick and say he isn't good enough to start on this team and make themselves look like even dumber asses then we know they are ?

Why not, they did it with the ninth pick last year and the 11th pick before that

k-oneputt
04-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Why not, they did it with the ninth pick last year and the 11th pick before that

3 is different then 9, but you have a point. Spiller was a stupid pick and Maybin was last regime so he doesn't count and plain sucks.

Can't see them sitting #3 on the bench, makes thenm look really bad, but it's the Bills.

I would bet whomever it is will have "earned" his spot.

better days
04-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Sadly I am being realistic, if we take Miller he is in no way guaranteed spot. Hell the guy has NEVER played LB in a defense before. He has a very steep learning curve to adjust to. He won't be able to pre-snap roam like he did at A&M, he will have responsibilities that he is not at all used to. To assume he's the #3 pick therefor auto starter after we spent money on Merriman is ridiculous.

I agree Moats is overrated but he has shown the ability to get after the passer at the NFL level. How you immediately bench him for a guy who has not shown that ability at this level is beyond me. If he beats him out in camp, fair is fair, but until that point Im not inserting an unproven and untested commodity in over a guy I know can at least apply pressure.

How do you know Miller will not play a similar role to what he did at A&M?

I think Chan like most coaches in the NFL is smart enough to take advantage of a players strengths.

DraftBoy
04-07-2011, 11:11 AM
How do you know Miller will not play a similar role to what he did at A&M?

I think Chan like most coaches in the NFL is smart enough to take advantage of a players strengths.

Because I know what system we run and I know what system Texas A&M runs. They are not even close to the same thing.

better days
04-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Because I know what system we run and I know what system Texas A&M runs. They are not even close to the same thing.

How do you know what system the Bills will run next year? In the first place they have hired Wanstadt who will have an influence on the defense & if the Bills draft a player such as Miller, I think they are smart enough to adjust what they are doing to play to his strengths.

DraftBoy
04-07-2011, 11:17 AM
How do you know what system the Bills will run next year? In the first place they have hired Wanstadt who will have an influence on the defense & if the Bills draft a player such as Miller, I think they are smart enough to adjust what they are doing to play to his strengths.

Show me where Wanny has ever run a defense with a ROV in it and you'll have a point. Until then you're just grasping at things.

The defense Texas A&M ran is a defense no NFL team will ever mimics. It wont work in the NFL, that's another reason why I know we wont have it.

better days
04-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Show me where Wanny has ever run a defense with a ROV in it and you'll have a point. Until then you're just grasping at things.

The defense Texas A&M ran is a defense no NFL team will ever mimics. It wont work in the NFL, that's another reason why I know we wont have it.

I did not say they will mimic A&M, I said they will take advantage of Millers strengths.

DraftBoy
04-07-2011, 11:23 AM
I did not say they will mimic A&M, I said they will take advantage of Millers strengths.

No its not, you said use him in a similar role and since Texas A&M had to literally create a special position for Miller, they had to conform their entire scheme to him and what he needed to do to rush the passer. The Bills are not going to do that.

better days
04-07-2011, 11:53 AM
No its not, you said use him in a similar role and since Texas A&M had to literally create a special position for Miller, they had to conform their entire scheme to him and what he needed to do to rush the passer. The Bills are not going to do that.

The Bills can move him around presnap without changing what they do all that much. If Merriman is healthy, they may not have to even do that. A healthy Merriman & Miller coming off the edges would be scarry for any offense.

No NFL team will play an offense such as Newton or Gabbert were in next year. If they are smart enough to adjust, I think Miller can as well. As I said an NFL team will take advantage of his strengths.

DraftBoy
04-07-2011, 12:05 PM
The Bills can move him around presnap without changing what they do all that much. If Merriman is healthy, they may not have to even do that. A healthy Merriman & Miller coming off the edges would be scarry for any offense.

No NFL team will play an offense such as Newton or Gabbert were in next year. If they are smart enough to adjust, I think Miller can as well. As I said an NFL team will take advantage of his strengths.

When and where have you ever seen George Edwards or Wanny employ that much pre-snap movement? They don't do it, to assume they will now because we may take Miller is a logical leap that Im not even close to taking with you.

better days
04-07-2011, 12:14 PM
When and where have you ever seen George Edwards or Wanny employ that much pre-snap movement? They don't do it, to assume they will now because we may take Miller is a logical leap that Im not even close to taking with you.

When have you seen Wanny run a 3-4 defense? You will see that in Buffalo sometime this year. As I said I think the Bills are smart enough to take advantage of a players strengths.

As I said if Merriman is healthy there would not even be any real need to move him at all. A healthy Merriman on one side & Miller on the other is scarry. Much more so than Peterson in the backfield.

DraftBoy
04-07-2011, 02:09 PM
When have you seen Wanny run a 3-4 defense? You will see that in Buffalo sometime this year. As I said I think the Bills are smart enough to take advantage of a players strengths.

As I said if Merriman is healthy there would not even be any real need to move him at all. A healthy Merriman on one side & Miller on the other is scarry. Much more so than Peterson in the backfield.

Miller is so scary as an unproven rookie, Im sure he'll having opposing OC's schemeing against him before he even plays a snap. Just like they did for Maybin...wait a second!

madness
04-07-2011, 02:30 PM
Miller is so scary as an unproven rookie, Im sure he'll having opposing OC's schemeing against him before he even plays a snap. Just like they did for Maybin...wait a second!

Reach!