PDA

View Full Version : Comparing & Dissecting Bills Sources And Info

patmoran2006
04-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Column I wrote today on the heels of Sal's show, Brian as a guest and some information of my own.. BTW, looks like Watt is some solid stuff at OBD today.
----------------------------------------
Tuesday night, Sal Capaccio hosted his weekly edition of Buffalo Bills Now! on his JustinTV internet station. For those who may not happen to know Sal, he was the guy two years ago to first break the news that the Bills were in pursuit of Terrell Owens. He’s a friend to this site and carries plenty of credibility with us.

Anyway, after not having much going on over his past few shows, Capaccio cited Buffalo Bills’ sources with some noteworthy nuggets of information.

Among them… (and you could, and really should listen to the entire podcast by clicking here (http://www.salsports.com/SalSports/Buffalo_Bills_Now_Podcasts/Entries/2011/4/6_Buffalo_Bills_Now_%2837%29__Bills_looking_to_trade_3_How_OBD_feels_about_Cam_Newton.html))

He hears Marcell Dareus and Blaine Gabbert are sitting atop the Bills draft board, in no particular order. Although they’re not married to either guy quite yet, Sal says if one is available and the Bills don’t trade down, those will be the top two candidates to be packing their bags for Orchard Park.

He thinks the Bills are actively looking, maybe even hoping to move down in the draft to as far down as the 10-12 range. He thinks Cincinnati, drafting as high as four or Minnesota as low as 12 could want to move up to get their guy. Capaccio even mentioned Tampa Bay at 20 as a team looking to move up, badly in need of a top cornerback.

He dropped the name J.J. Watt on listeners and identified him as a guy Buddy Nix really loves. He thinks if the Bills are able to move down the draft board, Watt will be the target for Nix. He also identified tight end Luke Stocker (Tennessee) as a guy the Bills like a lot in the second or third round.

Lastly, he discussed Cam Newton at length, saying his sources tell him Chan Gailey likes him a lot while Nix is “wavering on him” because he’s not sold on him being a franchise quarterback.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/images/blog/star-divide.v5e9d7f1.jpg
Meanwhile, Capaccio had Brian Galliford of Buffalo Rumblings (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/4/4/2089131/cameron-jordan-buffalo-bills-2011-nfl-draft) as his guest. Like Capaccio, Galliford holds a lot of trustworthiness, at least in my book. Among other things, Galliford stressed Nix’s short track record in Buffalo of drafting “clean” players and said he’s the heard the complete opposite regarding Newton; saying it’s Gailey not sold on drafting him.

I’m going to jump into the fray with things I’ve heard via sources, mainly about two players who share the first name of Cameron. Take it as you will, but I’m confident in what I’ve learned.

I’ve been following, borderline stalking Newton’s every move, especially when it comes to Buffalo. I’ve had a well placed source when it comes to Newton. Not to toot my own horn, but if you’re a regular to Buffalo Sports Daily, you know we were the first to report (http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/source-newton-to-meet-with-gailey-one-on-one/) Newton was coming to Buffalo to meet one-on-one with Gailey last week, despite ESPN getting credit, largely because of WGR’s irresponsible “report” that credited ESPN with the original story (thanks boys).

Anyway, sources I’ve talked to tell me the polar opposite regarding Newton. It’s Nix that is very, very high on Newton and Gailey that is entirely unsold. Sources tell me that despite the media’s assertion that Gailey is a quarterback guru with which Newton is a perfect fit, it’s the things that Gailey requires most that are not Newton’s strengths.

Gailey wants a guy whose premiums are accuracy and quick decision making. Newton, for all his illustrious talents, is more of a sandlot type of quarterback that makes the majority of his plays through improvising. While I don’t know this much for fact, it seems Gabbert seems a lot more of a Gailey guy than Newton.

Of course, it’s Nix who will ultimately make the decision.

I also think it’s irrelevant. There is a growing buzz Newton will be off the board to Carolina with the top selection.

I do not expect the Bills to draft a quarterback with their first or second pick. In fact, a source I spoke to said the priority at One Bills Drive isn’t to find a successor to Fitzpatrick, but to land a quality backup. It’s pretty much a lock that Brian Brohm, a restricted free agent that wasn’t tendered by the club before the deadline, won’t be back. With only Levi Brown on the roster, the club is going to have to find a competent backup and odds are that will come when free agency eventually starts.

There’s still a few weeks before the draft and things can and often do change, but if the Bills take any quarterback in the first two rounds, I’ll be very surprised.

Regarding the other Cameron (Jordan), the Bills have been (http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/buddy-nix-cameron-jordan/) and remain very interested (http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/source-bills-remain-very-high-on-cameron-jordan/). He along with Dareus are perhaps the only linemen in the draft that can be equally effective in a 43 or 34 defense. However, much like Capaccio said with Watt, I think three is too high to select Jordan and would represent poor value. Without question, selecting either at three would result in a field day for critics to bash the organization.

When it comes to trading down, I’m in complete agreement with Capaccio and his sources, and have heard in general the same sentiments. The Bills would love to move down for a team lusting for Gabbert with the third pick. However, what I hear is that Nix would only move down far enough where he could get a guy he still covets, which I think is Jordan while Capaccio is hearing Watt. In my opinion, both have legs and both could be the target.

Either way, I can’t see the Bills moving down past 10 in any trade down scenario. The 12th pick or lower, with Houston drafting 11th, may to be too late to get either defensive end.

There’s no question that Gabbert (or Newton if Carolina doesn’t draft him) is the big wildcard. The source I spoke to said a “very large factor” in this draft like no other preceding it is the labor dispute. With teams being unable to address the quarterback position right now via free agency or trades, there’s a growing worry among quarterback hungry teams that may value Gabbert or Newton more with an uncertain future market.

Cincinnati, Arizona, San Francisco, Tennessee and Washington are all teams drafting in the top ten that are or will be in the market for a quarterback.
Donovan McNabb and Vince Young are veteran quarterbacks sure to be on the move when/if the labor situation is ruled upon, and Carson Palmer and Kevin Kolb may join them. But who’s to say what the respective teams asking prices will be? For that reason alone with so many teams in need, Gabbert and Newton will go earlier than normal years, as may Jake Locker, Christian Ponder and possibly even Ryan Mallet.

If you’ve noticed, I’ve barely mentioned Dareus. That’s because people I talk to are convinced there’s not a single person in the organization that expects him to be available with the third pick. If he were there, I strongly suspect Nix would have his card to the podium faster than C.J. Spiller’s arrived last year.
The last thing I want to talk about is Galliford’s nugget of Nix’s track record of drafting clean players. I don’t have inside information about that, but it sounds completely logical. Of every draft pick last year, not one of them had a blemish on their character record nor did any have significant injury histories either. I do think that’s very important to this organization, especially one trying to erase their losing ways.

For that reason, I think you can scratch Nick Fairley, Da’Quan Bowers and Robert Quinn off the list of potential picks. Fairley reportedly has major effort questions, while Bowers has an iffy knee and Quinn didn’t play a down last year. It may not be fair and the Bills may live to regret it, but I don’t think any will be the pick at the top of the first round.

To me, that narrows the list of Bills candidates down to four players for their first selection; two if they move down and a pair if they keep the third pick.
If they move down, I’m going with what I’ve been told for seven weeks that Jordan is the target. I’ve personally heard nothing about Watt, but Capaccio has so I’d definitely include him as another solid trade down option. There certainly seems to be a growing interest in Watt—- in fact he’s visiting the Bills this afternoon in Orchard Park.

Assuming the Bills keep the pick and Dareus is off the board, I think it ultimately comes down Von Miller and Patrick Peterson. With absolutely no concrete information on the topic, I feel the pick would be Miller. With all due respect to Peterson, who may become a perennial Pro Bowl corner, I simply can’t fathom the Bills addressing the secondary this high with the front seven in the kind of shape it’s presently in. Miller can be a difference maker from the first day he arrives in camp.

The Bills currently have plenty of outside linebackers, but it’s quantity more than quality. Shawne Merriman is a walking injury waiting to happen, Arthur Moats has a lot to learn and Chris Kelsay isn’t the type of guy you avoid drafting a linebacker around. As for Aaron Maybin, please don’t get me started.

The sentiment for Miller seems to be growing. I noticed both Mel Kiper and Todd McShay have him going to Buffalo in their mock drafts this afternoon.

The last thing I want to touch on, with apologies for this turning into a Peter King MMQB rambling-style column, is this draft like no other is impossible to forecast. It’s unprecedented for teams to not be able to address holes via free agency or trades. Right now, teams with holes in specific areas in early January have the same headed towards April 28. I think you’re going to see a lot of draft day movement by teams, and don’t be surprised to see Buffalo among them.

I’m forecasting Miller with the third pick, but strongly feel after years of talking about it, the Bills will finally move down in the first round, acquire more picks thanks to Gabbert, and end up with Jordan flying to Buffalo for an introductory press conference.

DraftBoy
04-06-2011, 03:29 PM
That's a solid write-up and absolutely could happen.

patmoran2006
04-06-2011, 03:35 PM
one thing I should mention that Sal did and I failed too, is that there is a ALOT of commotion at one Bills Drive about Newton that I know of, and I'm sure plenty about Gabbert as well that I don't. What the deal is probably depends on what day of the week it is, and hell, maybe what time of the day it is as well.

Ginger Vitis
04-06-2011, 03:37 PM
I'll be really impressed if either Moran or Cappaccio in the next 3 weeks can give specific teams looking to trade up into the 3rd spot and what draft picks are being offered

patmoran2006
04-06-2011, 03:44 PM
I'll be really impressed if either Moran or Cappaccio in the next 3 weeks can give specific teams looking to trade up into the 3rd spot and what draft picks are being offered
Maybe Sal can but I think that would be very hard.. I don't think a team would do that until draft day, and that would be only if a player (Gabbert, Peterson) was on board that theyd' want to move up for.

Tennessee can want a QB badly, but wouldn't move up today, for all they know Newton and Gabbert could go 1 and 2.

I can try and speculate like everybody else, but it wouldn't be nothing concrete, at least in terms of who would move up and what they'd give up.

I think every year we talk about the Bills moving down. If they are not in love with Von Miller, I really think this is the year it finally happens.

k-oneputt
04-06-2011, 03:52 PM
So we are gonna trade out of #3, and the chance at a true difference maker, for a solid d-lineman in Jordan or Watt ?

No wonder this team can't win.

patmoran2006
04-06-2011, 03:55 PM
So we are gonna trade out of #3, and the chance at a true difference maker, for a solid d-lineman in Jordan or Watt ?

No wonder this team can't win.

In what ways do you think Fairley, Quinn or Bowers can make the Bills better that Jordan or Watt can't? Not saying I disagree with you, just interested in hearing your perspective.

To put on your GM hat, who would you draft?

k-oneputt
04-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Quinn and Bowers have a very good chance imo of being top pass rushers. I don't see that with Jordan or Watt.

k-oneputt
04-06-2011, 04:05 PM
I would draft Quinn.

trapezeus
04-06-2011, 04:05 PM
its just so buffalo that the year we get a #3, there is no sure thing there to pick.

maybe a year without football will do the mind some good.

sdbillsfan2
04-06-2011, 04:21 PM
[quote=patmoran2006]

Cincinnati, Arizona, San Francisco, Tennessee and Washington are all teams drafting in the top ten that are or will be in the market for a quarterback.
Donovan McNabb and Vince Young are veteran quarterbacks sure to be on the move when/if the labor situation is ruled upon, and Carson Palmer and Kevin Kolb may join them. But who’s to say what the respective teams asking prices will be? For that reason alone with so many teams in need, Gabbert and Newton will go earlier than normal years, as may Jake Locker, Christian Ponder and possibly even Ryan Mallet.

/quote]

Good reading Pat.
I hate admit it , but I'm going to agree with John Clayton and Arizona not looking to take a QB early.

Q: Should the Cardinals sign Marc Bulger (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=2299) and draft a quarterback in the second round?
Mauricio in Phoenix
[+] Enlargehttp://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0403/nfl_u_bulger01_200.jpg (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=6286514#)<cite>David Butler II/US Presswire</cite>Marc Bulger played sparingly with the Ravens in 2010. Could he end up in Arizona?

A: I do believe their plan is to sign Bulger once that is allowed, but I'm not sold Ken Whisenhunt would use a first- or a second-round choice on a quarterback. At the owners meeting, I asked him his philosophy on quarterbacks. He goes back to his days with Joe Gibbs with the Washington Redskins (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/wsh/washington-redskins). Gibbs believed in sitting young quarterbacks, letting them learn the system and then playing them after a year or two. For that reason, the Cardinals would want a veteran quarterback. I do believe they will be in the mix to acquire Kevin Kolb (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10480) in a trade. Bulger is a key option, but I'm not sold he'd move all the way to Phoenix. I don't see the Cardinals drafting a quarterback high.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=6286514

TigerJ
04-06-2011, 04:48 PM
I wrote over on the BBMB that in order ot likelihood, the scenarios that could happen are:

1. Buffalo drafts Von Miller at #3

2. Buffalo drafts Dareus at #3. This would be first except that Denver is drooling over Dareus. I'm still leaving it as a possibility because of a rumor that Denver may be looking to trade out of #2. If that happens, the team trading up is probably doing so to draft a QB.

3. Buffalo trades down and drafts JJ Watts. Based on your info, I should probably add, "or Cameron Jordan."

4. Buffalo drafts Blaine Gabbert at #3. The last option is possible only if Denver stays put and drafts Dareus.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-06-2011, 05:28 PM
i think von miller or the trade down to the 7-10 spot to take jordan or watt would be greaat. im guessing we would get an additional 2nd and 5th...

Mindbender
04-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Nice write up. It made a good read.

Do really think Von Miller could make that much of a difference? I've read a few people who were concerned that he only has one or two moves and might have some difficulty transitioning to the NFL. Maybin has me scared.

Lone Stranger
04-06-2011, 06:58 PM
The initial comments are very well written and insightful.

Nighthawk
04-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Nothing ground breaking there...everything you and Brian (who I don't find very good) is anything that anybody who is following this closely couldn't come up with.

patmoran2006
04-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Not sure I've heard any claims of anything groundbreaking.

Nighthawk
04-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Not sure I've heard any claims of anything groundbreaking.

Nor was there any real info there...just sayin.

Novacane
04-06-2011, 08:18 PM
I'm still hoping something unexpected happens and Dareus is sitting there at #3.

YardRat
04-06-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm still hoping something unexpected happens and Dareus is sitting there at #3.

Me too.

Nice write-up, pat...enjoyed the read.

DraftBoy
04-06-2011, 08:34 PM

Tiger had a great idea about how Dareus is there at 3. Also I posted something earlier this week from a source I trust about Denver's interest in a player.

Nighthawk
04-06-2011, 08:42 PM

Wouldn't crush me...but I like Miller a lot.

ChristopherWalken
04-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Nice write up. Well written and equally received.

I think the Bills have a fair chance at choosing either Dareus of Gabbert. In fact, the situation could very well be Carolina takes Newton and Denver pulls Peterson. That then leaves the Bills in a situation where they have Dareus, Von Miller, and Gabbert available to them. The plus side is a scenerio like that might have some teams drooling at a move up.

Personally I would take Dareus and be done with it. But the Bills have a tendancy to do things-mildly put-differently.

TacklingDummy
04-06-2011, 10:20 PM
I found a recent mock that doesn't have him going until the 12th pick.

Buffalo takes Fairley and Locker in the 2nd, Phil Taylor DT in the 3rd, Matthews LB and Julius Thomas TE in the 4th, Mike McNeil TE 5th, Ugo Chinasa Oklahoma State OLB. 6th, Carl Johnson Florida ROT and Devon Torrence Ohio State CB in 7th.

12 Minnesota
Marcell Dareus
Alabama
DT43
Reach/Value: +8 Height:
6'3"
Weight:
306 Alternate Selection #1
Anthony Castonzo
Alternate Selection #2
Corey Liuget
With rumours circling that Coach Frazier wants Pat Williams back, one has to believe the Vikings will target a defensive tackle early in the draft. Fortuntely, with Nick Fairley's stock rising again (for whatever reason), his competition for top DL in the draft falls to the Vikings at #12. Though he played the 5-technique in Bama's 3-4, Dareus is a very athletic lineman who can probably line up at either of the inside positions in the Vikings scheme. The only concern with this pick is the depth at D-line in this draft and the Vikings needs at multiple positions. Would Prince be a better pick, knowing that a capable DT will be there later on? Tough call. - Brett Stott, Vikings Analyst

http://www.drafttek.com/CMDRound1.asp

Night Train
04-07-2011, 05:13 AM
The key is to remember 90 % of what is rumored is total BS. People don't wish to filter what is being discussed.

trapezeus
04-07-2011, 08:38 AM
color me a pessimistic bills fan, but aside from the crappy draft pool this year, isn't it convenient that the bills want to be in the 10-12 spot? They have constantly been in the 10-12 spot. Do you think financially, they like that spot because it's supposed to be a decent player at a much reduced price? Do you think wanting to trade out is to avoid the big contract to any degree?

and it also makes you wonder if ralph is totally content with being a middling team.

better days
04-07-2011, 09:02 AM
color me a pessimistic bills fan, but aside from the crappy draft pool this year, isn't it convenient that the bills want to be in the 10-12 spot? They have constantly been in the 10-12 spot. Do you think financially, they like that spot because it's supposed to be a decent player at a much reduced price? Do you think wanting to trade out is to avoid the big contract to any degree?

and it also makes you wonder if ralph is totally content with being a middling team.

Interesting take, but I think a trade down would be to get additional picks to fill the many holes on this team. The Bills have foolishly wasted a lot of money on poor FA pick ups in the past (see Derick Dockery) so I doubt it is about finances.

cookie G
04-07-2011, 09:26 AM

Possible, but unlikely, IMO. If a Dareus falls to 3, I have a feeling they'd sprint up to the podium. It might be the same way if a pre-injury Bowers were at 3.

I think it would be the same way if they felt confident that Newton or Gabbert were going to be the QB that gets them 4,000 yards and 35-40 TD's a year.

Just the Bills luck. They get a top 5 pick, and can't find the guy who can dramatically improve their team.

QB's are wild cards;
No dominant LT;
The best DL will be gone;
The best DE probably has a bum knee;
The best OLB has size questions and questions about his run stopping ability. The 2nd best OLB/DE hasn't played in a year.

Its a deep draft, just not at top 5. There is going to be quality at the top of the 2nd, and the middle of the 2nd, as some 1st rounders are going to fall.

I don't know if trading down this year is necessarily a concession of mediocrity.

El Guapo
04-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Nice write up, Pat. Thanks.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-08-2011, 05:39 AM
I am going to go out and go on a limb and say unless your source is Buddy Nix, Chan Galley, Tom Modrak, or any of the others involved in the decision, your speculation is just that, speculation. I don't believe anything I hear from anyone involving the draft. It isn't a personal thing, I just know that every year we hear "from a good source" and every year the team picks someone else. Why would the Bills even consider showing their hand. There is absolutely no reason to give any information that would indicate who they would draft. I enjoy reading the possibilities, but I can't believe them.

Buddo
04-08-2011, 09:38 AM
I think I said it in another thread on here, but I believe that the Bills best opportunity to trade down, will come if Gabbert is still available. I believe this because of the two, he's obviously a 'safer' pick. That, to me, means that there are likely to be more teams who need a QB, who might be prepared to go after him. I'd say also that that would mean that Carolina selected Newton before, so Gabbert is the only obvious 1st round QB talent left.
Under those circumstances, we might well be able to trade down not just once, but twice, providing we can con the Bungles into swapping picks and giving us their 2nd rounder.
Dropping that one spot, would make us a lot more 'reachable' for the likes of Dallas, who are rumoured to be enamoured of Peterson, or even a team who is after Green (although I'm unsure as to who that might be).

Akhippo
04-08-2011, 02:40 PM
I also think that if Gabbert falls to three, and Dareus is gone, that the Bills phone will be ringing. And they should definitely answer it.

8 Titans - Comp. 11 2nd/12 3rd
10 Washington - Comp 11 2nd/12 2nd
12 Minny - Comp. Swap our 3rd for thier 2nd/12 1st

We could still pull C Jordan or JJ Watt.

If we dont trade I think V Miller is the choice.

The flow of information seems to pinpoint Dareus, Miller, or trade out as the front runners for the draft.

jamze132
04-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I wrote over a week ago that OBD was trying to trade down and if unsuccessful, they would take Von Miller. Wonder if we have the same sources.

Mike
04-08-2011, 07:55 PM
its just so buffalo that the year we get a #3, there is no sure thing there to pick.

maybe a year without football will do the mind some good.

Theres Peterson, an elite CB!

DANMAN
04-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Good write up Pat. I enjoyed it and find it plausible.
The draft is deep with talent but the only elite players are Dareus, Miller and Peterson . The 2 QB's are not elite but they are the best 2 available and several teams need a QB.
If they don't believe the available QB's are worth it they will really want to use that first pick where they need it the most, the DL. Specifically a 3-4 DE. If they do manage a trade down I am all but certain that the pick will be their highest rated 3-4 DE on their draft board. Cam Jordan and JJ Watt would be likely candidates, if they wind up both being available when they do pick we'll find out who they like the best.

Johnny Bugmenot
04-11-2011, 10:08 AM
Theres Peterson, an elite CB!
#32 against the run.

Drafting Peterson would be like buying curtains for a broken window.