PDA

View Full Version : Detroit fails to beat Carolina

OpIv37
04-06-2011, 09:12 PM
I hope those useless bastards lose in the first round.

So, basically, we need one win or 1 Carolina loss/OT loss/shootout loss between our 2 remaining games and their two.

We play Philly, who is slumping but still in a dogfight with the Caps for the #1 spot, and they haven't clinched their division yet, so they will be motivated. Then we have Columbus, who has only won something like 3 of 19, but may be motivated if they know beating us keeps us out of the playoffs.

Carolina has Tampa Bay and Atlanta. Atlanta is pretty bad and TB's playoff position is pretty much set in stone, so there won't be much motivation for them to play hard. On the other hand, Carolina also finishes with 3 games in 4 nights- will they be able to keep up the intensity?

So, do do we make the playoffs, or is this another epic Buffalo sports failure?

Nighthawk
04-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Until they wrap it up, I'll continue to be nervous...it's the Buffalo inside of me!

Dr. Lecter
04-06-2011, 09:21 PM
The magic number is 1. The Sabres just need to get to OT in either game.

But I too am still a little nervous.

Dr. Lecter
04-06-2011, 09:22 PM
I hope those useless bastards lose in the first round.

So, basically, we need one win or 1 Carolina loss/OT loss/shootout loss between our 2 remaining games and their two.

We play Philly, who is slumping but still in a dogfight with the Caps for the #1 spot, and they haven't clinched their division yet, so they will be motivated. Then we have Columbus, who has only won something like 3 of 19, but may be motivated if they know beating us keeps us out of the playoffs.

Carolina has Tampa Bay and Atlanta. Atlanta is pretty bad and TB's playoff position is pretty much set in stone, so there won't be much motivation for them to play hard. On the other hand, Carolina also finishes with 3 games in 4 nights- will they be able to keep up the intensity?

Not to question your logic, but why would Columbus be motivated to keep the Sabres out of the playoffs, but the same logic does not apply to Atlanta?

I mean, both teams are in the same situation.

OpIv37
04-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Not to question your logic, but why would Columbus be motivated to keep the Sabres out of the playoffs, but the same logic does not apply to Atlanta?

Fair enough, I missed that. In fact, Atlanta may be more motivated because Carolina is a division rival. There isn't much of a rivalry between the Sabres and Columbus since they only play once a year.

Nighthawk
04-06-2011, 09:27 PM
The magic number is 1. The Sabres just need to get to OT in either game.

But I too am still a little nervous.

I'm not sure you're correct. Buffalo is up by 3 and 1 more point would give them a 4 point lead on the Hurricanes, but if they win their remaining games they'd be tied with us if we only got 1 more point, but I believe they'd beat us on the regulation wins tie breaker or one of those.

I just want the Sabres to win and get it over with!

Dr. Lecter
04-06-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm not sure you're correct. Buffalo is up by 3 and 1 more point would give them a 4 point lead on the Hurricanes, but if they win their remaining games they'd be tied with us if we only got 1 more point, but I believe they'd beat us on the regulation wins tie breaker or one of those.

I just want the Sabres to win and get it over with!

No. The Sabres have the tiebreaker.

Both teams would have 36 Reg/OT wins.

The Season series is tied - both teams were 2-1-1 for 5 points.

The third tiebreaker is Goal differential. Sabres are +14 right now. Carolina is -4. So the Sabres would get in via that way (unless there is an 19 goal shift in those 4 games)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?page=nhl/tiebreakers

Nighthawk
04-06-2011, 09:33 PM
No. The Sabres have the tiebreaker.

Both teams would have 36 Reg/OT wins.

The Season series is tied - both teams were 2-1-1 for 5 points.

The third tiebreaker is Goal differential. Sabres are +14 right now. Carolina is -4. So the Sabres would get in via that way (unless there is an 19 goal shift in those 4 games)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?page=nhl/tiebreakers

Sweet...

Ebenezer
04-06-2011, 09:35 PM
If it comes down to the Columbus game you stack all six players in the net and block it so that they can't score...0-0 at the end of regulation. Sabres in the playoffs.

CuseJetsFan83
04-06-2011, 10:56 PM
http://zorak.best.vwh.net/nhl/

sabres control tiebreaker on NYR and Carolina

trapezeus
04-06-2011, 11:29 PM
sabres also have the former player night which i believe will provide some energy in the building.

it sucks that detroit totally dumped on us, but i think the team fights for at least one point vs. philly. and i think they pick up a win in columbus.

i'll go cry myself to sleep now knowing that i still fear a chokejob.

Slim
04-07-2011, 12:32 AM
All the Bill's had to be was beat the Steelers backup's.

Color me nervous.

SabreEleven
04-07-2011, 06:35 AM
What is better than beating the Flyers on home ice on Alumni night to earn our way into the playoffs and not worrying about another team losing?

ChristopherWalken
04-07-2011, 07:43 AM
The Sabres just need to win one or find OT once. They control their own destiny. If they can't accomplish this task in one of the next wo games perhaps they shouldn't be in the playoffs.

I'm confident though. They seem driven and playing some damn good hockey.

OpIv37
04-07-2011, 08:04 AM
What is better than beating the Flyers on home ice on Alumni night to earn our way into the playoffs and not worrying about another team losing?

and of course, no one is even picking up the game nationally, so it's XM radio and illegal streams again for me...

SkateZilla
04-07-2011, 09:10 AM

one of ESPNs writers even commented on how the Schedule has Buffalo playing Columbus, out of Division, Out of Conference, out of the playoffs team to close out the season.

PTI
04-07-2011, 09:49 AM
Why isn't anyone bringing up the Rangers can still fall short? They have Atlanta and New Jersey? Root hard for Atlanta tonight and tomorrow, hope they can help the Sabres in one of these games.

OpIv37
04-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Why isn't anyone bringing up the Rangers can still fall short? They have Atlanta and New Jersey? Root hard for Atlanta tonight and tomorrow, hope they can help the Sabres in one of these games.

I think you answered your own question.

But, while I have no love for the Rangers, I despise Carolina and would love to see them out of the playoffs.

trapezeus
04-07-2011, 10:22 AM
the sabres have proven to be a fun team to watch this year, btu they also have shown a knack for wanting to take the most difficult path to accomplishing their goals.

They literally close out 2-3 games in the last 3 weeks instead of tying, this is already over.

If they beat the hurricanes, this is over.

I doubt the hurricanes lose tonight and make friday meaningless. i'm guessing, we'll have to watch a columbus game with playoff intensity.

but to the sabres credit (i'm knocking on wood as i say this) they have delivered when they absolutely had to deliver.

Dr. Lecter
04-07-2011, 10:25 AM
the sabres have proven to be a fun team to watch this year, btu they also have shown a knack for wanting to take the most difficult path to accomplishing their goals.

They literally close out 2-3 games in the last 3 weeks instead of tying, this is already over.

If they beat the hurricanes, this is over.

I doubt the hurricanes lose tonight and make friday meaningless. i'm guessing, we'll have to watch a columbus game with playoff intensity.

but to the sabres credit (i'm knocking on wood as i say this) they have delivered when they absolutely had to deliver.
I guarantee the Hurricanes do not lose tonight. They do not even play.

As for not closing out 2-3 games recently, they Sabres have the best record in the entire NHL since 2/22. I don't think one can ask much more.

Carolina could lose tomorrow though or the Sabes win/lose in OT(SO) which makes Saturday meaningless except maybe for seeding. (Again, the Sabres need one point, not two)

trapezeus
04-07-2011, 12:40 PM
thanks for the schedule correction. but i definitely think the sabres are going to take the hardest path to getting in.

G Wolly
04-07-2011, 12:44 PM

If we don't make it, I wouldn't consider it "another epic Buffalo sports failure"

I'd be half grateful, to save us the embarrassment, and half expectant.

I mean, if we had been up in like 3rd place and end up just losing out of 8th, then I'd consider it a "failure", but not this way.

PTI
04-07-2011, 12:59 PM
If we don't make it, I wouldn't consider it "another epic Buffalo sports failure"

I mean, if we had been up in like 3rd place and end up just losing out of 8th, then I'd consider it a "failure", but not this way.

Yeah, they only moved into playoff spot like 3 or 4 weeks ago or something like that. It will be really disappointing though if they don't.

trapezeus
04-07-2011, 01:00 PM
like i said with the bills and like i said once pegula took over, this season was a bit of a lost season.

the bills were so awful in the jauron/fewell year, that it was impossible to get any coach to make that roster competent.

Pegula's purchase is taking care of the intangibles and creating momentum, but they are still left with an over-achieving non playoff team. pegula's promise is to get us the pieces. so we know what the core of this team is and it's not much in terms of long playoff runs.

However, i would find immense pleasure in pegula getting all the credit for a team that golly and company were convinced could win it all.

OpIv37
04-07-2011, 01:02 PM

to not earn 1 point in two games- one against a very bad team- to get into the playoffs is an epic failure, especially that considering that it wouldn't even be a problem if we had done better in our two previous performances against Carolina.

G Wolly
04-07-2011, 01:06 PM
to not earn 1 point in two games- one against a very bad team- to get into the playoffs is an epic failure, especially that considering that it wouldn't even be a problem if we had done better in our two previous performances against Carolina.

It's not an "epic failure" but I'll agree it is a lesser form of "failure"

OpIv37
04-07-2011, 01:16 PM
It's not an "epic failure" but I'll agree it is a lesser form of "failure"

you could also argue that a team that it was an epic failure for a team that's done so well in the 2nd half of the season to piss away the first half of the season, especially since we still had Roy.

Literally, 1 more win in the previous 80 games and we are not in this situation.

Dr. Lecter
04-07-2011, 01:27 PM

By the same token had Carolina done better, the Sabres would be behind.

G Wolly
04-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Literally, 1 more win in the previous 80 games and we are not in this situation.

Unless Carolina had won 2 more games.

There's so many "what-if" scenarios.

What if Roy didn't go down?

What if we won more games?

What if NYR/CAR/MTL/TOR won more games?

We are where we are. If we miss out, I won't be disappointed, or even surprised.

G Wolly
04-07-2011, 01:33 PM

I didn't see this post until after I posted mine.

Well-played.

It's not all our fault we are where we are, or that we blew any chances along the way to dig our grave deeper.

We actually lucked out that those other teams were able to win less games.

OpIv37
04-07-2011, 01:39 PM

Sabres can't control what Carolina does- only what they do. The Sabres have to take advantage of opportunities, not piss them away and just hope some other team happens to piss away more than they do.

SkateZilla
04-07-2011, 01:43 PM
the Ultimate What if.

What If the Sabres would have one that last game in regulation and not overtime.

G Wolly
04-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Sabres can't control what Carolina does- only what they do. The Sabres have to take advantage of opportunities, not piss them away and just hope some other team happens to piss away more than they do.

The point was if we won 4 more games, and they won 5 more we'd be in the same situation.

Not "hoping" they do worse than us.

And by your definition, every team has "pissed away" opportunities, it's not just something we do, have done, or will do.

OpIv37
04-07-2011, 02:05 PM
The point was if we won 4 more games, and they won 5 more we'd be in the same situation.

Not "hoping" they do worse than us.

And by your definition, every team has "pissed away" opportunities, it's not just something we do, have done, or will do.

of course every team pisses away opportunities.

I'm not a fan of those teams though, so I'm not concerned with what they do.

Everyone jumps down my throat for complaining about OT wins and giving up the extra point- I hope some of you see how that matters now. It may not seem like it matters in November or December, but it ****ing matters. If Philly had 1 less point, the Caps would have won the conf by now. If Carolina had 1 less point we would have clinched a playoff berth by now. That **** addes up.

G Wolly
04-07-2011, 02:10 PM
I speak for myself, but I "jump down your throat" because of the things you complain about.

This isn't a video game franchise. You can't win every game. Our team, as well as the others have their flaws and they're paying for it too.

But whether or not we finish in 8th place or could have finished in 1st, doesn't make the difference of which teams are better, but right time, right place.

Teams have off nights, even off weeks at times.

We are where we are, nothing can change it. But that's why they play, and why we watch, anything can happen.

trapezeus
04-07-2011, 02:34 PM
of course every team pisses away opportunities.

I'm not a fan of those teams though, so I'm not concerned with what they do.

Everyone jumps down my throat for complaining about OT wins and giving up the extra point- I hope some of you see how that matters now. It may not seem like it matters in November or December, but it ****ing matters. If Philly had 1 less point, the Caps would have won the conf by now. If Carolina had 1 less point we would have clinched a playoff berth by now. That **** addes up.

nope, people will keep arguing that you can't win 82 games a season, and that other teams lose too.

i get your point. when you are up in the 3rd, getting a tie, isn't a good deal.

when you have outplayed a team for 3 periods, but need OT to get the win, you are leaving points out there.

yeah, on the flip side, there are games where you were on teh wrong end, but i don't think the sabres are have an even split between the types of OT points.