PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta beat the Rangers....

Ebenezer
04-08-2011, 12:09 AM
...and not one thread? :jawdrop:

Crisis
04-08-2011, 12:44 AM
ottawa beat montreal in OT so they're still in striking distance (need 3/4 points and them to lose their next game)

it's nice to actually get some help for once, NY/CAR/BUF have all been on a TEAR lately - hell even toronto.

psubills62
04-08-2011, 01:26 AM
Even Montreal was doing poorly right up until they hit this pack. Then they went back to winning.

chernobylwraiths
04-08-2011, 05:09 AM
Still only affects us if we get a point. If we can win at least one point, we are guaranteed the 7 spot

PTI
04-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Montreal freaking scored with goalie pulled and 11 seconds left to make it OT and really had no business getting a point that game.

Rangers were like the living dead and really might as well be out if they do not have Callahan.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-08-2011, 07:59 AM
I think everyone is fixated on Carolina that they don't realize the Rangers are the team that will miss the playoffs.

OpIv37
04-08-2011, 09:13 AM
Montreal freaking scored with goalie pulled and 11 seconds left to make it OT and really had no business getting a point that game.

That's why I hate the new point system and the shootout. I like the old system- Win/OT win=2 points, tie=1 point each, Loss=0 points. I hate ****ing manufacturing points in the standings (game's worth 2 points, oh wait, montreal scored late so now it's worth 3) and I hate points for losses.

chernobylwraiths
04-08-2011, 09:39 AM
That's why I hate the new point system and the shootout. I like the old system- Win/OT win=2 points, tie=1 point each, Loss=0 points. I hate ****ing manufacturing points in the standings (game's worth 2 points, oh wait, montreal scored late so now it's worth 3) and I hate points for losses.

There HAS to be a winner. But there doesn't have to necessarily be a loser.

trapezeus
04-08-2011, 10:03 AM
i don't like the point inflation, but i definitely feel like overtime hockey in the regular season has been more exciting that in the early 90's where if the buzzer sounded in the third, the last 5 minutes was just a neutral zone passing drill.

Teams go for the win because they know it's not a great idea to leave it up to a shootout. and 4-4 is better than the 5 on 5.

the point inflation and stuff comes out in the wash since everyone is subject to the new rules. i just hate the idea of going back to early 90 OT games.

PTI
04-08-2011, 10:06 AM
2.5 regulation win
2.0 OT win
1.5 shootout win
1.0 OT/shootout loss
0.0 regulation loss

OR

2 for any win, and just have ties back

OR, this was brought up by this Canadian guy on 590 AM sports talk, I don't really like it

4 regulation win
3 OT win
2 shootout win
1 shootot/OT loss

JD
04-08-2011, 12:28 PM
2.5 regulation win
2.0 OT win
1.5 shootout win
1.0 OT/shootout loss
0.0 regulation loss

OR

2 for any win, and just have ties back

OR, this was brought up by this Canadian guy on 590 AM sports talk, I don't really like it

4 regulation win
3 OT win
2 shootout win
1 shootot/OT loss

Or..

2 points for a win in regulation.
1 point for a win in OT/SO
0 points for a loss, PERIOD.

:boom:

It would make teams play MUCH harder in regulation instead of relying on that bull**** soft cushion of a point.

Dr. Lecter
04-08-2011, 12:29 PM
As long as S11 is alive there will be one.

OpIv37
04-08-2011, 12:34 PM

this is hippie new-age horse ****. It's the social bi-product of giving the last place Little League team the same size trophies as the league champion and soccer games where they don't keep score to avoid hurting kids' feelings.

Ebenezer
04-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Or..

2 points for a win in regulation.
1 point for a win in OT/SO
0 points for a loss, PERIOD.

:boom:

It would make teams play MUCH harder in regulation instead of relying on that bull**** soft cushion of a point.

or...

the system that worked for 100 years...

no overtime
2 points for a win
1 point for a tie
0 points for a loss

Dr. Lecter
04-08-2011, 12:42 PM
or...

no overtime
2 points for a win
1 point for a tie
0 points for a loss
Ties suck. It did not work for 100 years either. And even if it was in place that long, that is no reason to keep it.

You sound like a republican "Well, it was that way back in the day, so it had to be good!"

:D

Ebenezer
04-08-2011, 12:43 PM
this is hippie new-age horse ****. It's the social bi-product of giving the last place Little League team the same size trophies as the league champion and soccer games where they don't keep score to avoid hurting kids' feelings.

hey...My team won $40 in a curling tournament last night ($10 per person). Even the last place team got back $6 per person. Everybody got pizza, chips, pretzels and a $2 Tim Horton's card...the winners got really nice spring/fall jackets. I have no problem with that type of system.

Ebenezer
04-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Ties suck. It did not work for 100 years either. And even if it was in place that long, that is no reason to keep it.

You sound like a republican "Well, it was that way back in the day, so it had to be good!"

:D

There was nothing wrong with it...until the entitlement generation felt there had to be a winner and no loser.

OpIv37
04-08-2011, 12:46 PM
hey...My team won $40 in a curling tournament last night ($10 per person). Even the last place team got back $6 per person. Everybody got pizza, chips, pretzels and a $2 Tim Horton's card...the winners got really nice spring/fall jackets. I have no problem with that type of system.

that's fine for a recreational curling league, where adults are in it for fun. But in professional sports, it's competition at the highest level and there needs to be a winner and a loser. As far as little league and youth soccer goes, I realize that is for fun as well, but at some point kids need to learn to be gracious losers and respectful winners. They are not going to win every time and they will need the ability to deal with that appropriately to get through life.

SkateZilla
04-08-2011, 12:49 PM
or...

no overtime
2 points for a win
1 point for a tie
0 points for a loss

:boom: :boom: :boom: :boom:

Dr. Lecter
04-08-2011, 01:10 PM
There was nothing wrong with it...until the entitlement generation felt there had to be a winner and no loser.
It is a sporting event with professionals. The intent is to win the game.

There was something wrong with it. Ties sucked. Teams playing to tie late in a game was boring as hell.

Ebenezer
04-08-2011, 01:14 PM
It is a sporting event with professionals. The intent is to win the game.

There was something wrong with it. Ties sucked. Teams playing to tie late in a game was boring as hell.

As opposed to teams playing to tie late in the game in order to pick up a free point...geez, real difference there.

Dr. Lecter
04-08-2011, 01:16 PM
The 5 minutes of OT are sometimes the most exciting part of the game.

Ebenezer
04-08-2011, 01:20 PM
The 5 minutes of OT are sometimes the most exciting part of the game.

That is a shame. Critics would say just play a 5 minute sudden death game.

Dr. Lecter
04-08-2011, 01:38 PM
That is a shame. Critics would say just play a 5 minute sudden death game.
I don't think anybody would say that.

trapezeus
04-08-2011, 01:43 PM
4 points for a win? Can't wait to hear people say how the 2020 so and so's and their 200+ point season was vastly better than some legendary team in 60's when they only had 60 points.