PDA

View Full Version : No Thanks to a trade down to draft

Bmax
04-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Just say no to a trade down to draft a JJ Watt or Cam Jordan...i don't even make the deal unless we get 1st rd pick...stay at three ...

we should be in position to draft one of these five guys

Dareus
Miller
Gabbert
Newton
Fairley
Quinn...

One of these guys should be our choice at three ... Dareus is my first choice followed by Fairley and Miller....

Bmax...

NOT THE DUDE...
04-08-2011, 10:55 PM
miller doesnt help horrid run d, fairley could be red flagged by obd and off their board, bowers has knee isssue, peterson wont help, qbs are big questions for being taken that high

TRADE DOWN! if you cant then take cameron jordan or jj watt. dont care if its a reach, they are top 10 talents and are very good.

but i agree, if dareus is there, take him, if not trade down or take cj or jj

BertSquirtgum
04-08-2011, 11:26 PM
i'll take peterson if dareus is gone. i don't want von miller.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-08-2011, 11:41 PM

would i be upset with a peterson pick, no. would i be happier with cam jordan or jj watt? hell yeah!

BertSquirtgum
04-08-2011, 11:46 PM
not at 3.....

NOT THE DUDE...
04-09-2011, 12:14 AM
not at 3.....

i would take them at 3 if i cant trade down. our dline is the biggest need and those two are very good

better days
04-09-2011, 04:03 AM
Just say no to a trade down to draft a JJ Watt or Cam Jordan...i don't even make the deal unless we get 1st rd pick...stay at three ...

Dareus
Miller
Gabbert
Newton
Fairley
Quinn...

One of these guys should be our choice at three ... Dareus is my first choice followed by Fairley and Miller....

Bmax...

If Dareus is gone, I would love to see the Bills trade down. Chances are if they don't trade down too far that 4 or 5 of the names listed will still be available & they will get an extra pick.

tampabay25690
04-09-2011, 06:35 AM
miller doesnt help horrid run d, fairley could be red flagged by obd and off their board, bowers has knee isssue, peterson wont help, qbs are big questions for being taken that high

TRADE DOWN! if you cant then take cameron jordan or jj watt. dont care if its a reach, they are top 10 talents and are very good.

but i agree, if dareus is there, take him, if not trade down or take cj or jj

OK you say Miller won't stop the run, Peterson won't help.
But you have no idea who we drafted in the rest of the rounds....
This team will not just improve because of the #3 pick.....
If we take Miller or Peterson this team just got better and you BUILD around them...

tampabay25690
04-09-2011, 06:37 AM
would i be upset with a peterson pick, no. would i be happier with cam jordan or jj watt? hell yeah!

OMG you would be happier with Watt or Jordan over Peterson..........
Yikes

I like both of them guys but I have said for a few months now IMO Patrick Peterson is the best player in the draft......

But I still have noidea who the Bills are even thinking right now....
My guess from what Im hearing is defense.....

tampabay25690
04-09-2011, 06:38 AM

I wish we could have them both

Thief
04-09-2011, 07:53 AM
I think Peterson would help the run more then Miller.

Yeah, I said that.

Saratoga Slim
04-09-2011, 08:31 AM
I don't disagree that stopping the run is our biggest issue, but I don't think that means we should draft for poor value at #3 (Watt or Jordan) if Dareus is gone, and leave guys like Von Miller on the board. #3 isn't our only pick in the draft. Martez Wilson, Adrian Clayborn, or someone like that in the 2nd would be good pick ups vs. the run.

At #3, you really need to focus on elite athleticism. Cam Jordan and JJ Watt are solid, but lack that little extra edge that puts them in the Peterson/Dareus/AJ Green/Fairley category. It's a rare chance to get a player like that on your roster, and passing it up based on need is how crappy teams stay crappy. The only way you overvalue a player for need at #3 is if it's a quarterback.

Philagape
04-09-2011, 09:01 AM
Trading down for Jordan is the second-best scenario behind getting Dareus. That would be the best value if Dareus is gone. (I wouldn't mind Peterson either)
Every other possibility has major issues.
To use Miller as an example, Miller may be more athletic and rated higher, but I honestly would rather have Jordan. If it's my turn to draft and I had to choose between those two, I'm not going to let the opinions of draft geeks or anyone else dictate who I take. If I can trade down, great, but if not, I go by my board alone.

Danny Duberstein
04-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Normally, I'm all about trading down. And I do really like JJ Watt.

But at 3, we're guaranteed to have a crack at my top 3 players:

1) Dareus
2) Fairley
3) Quinn

Night Train
04-10-2011, 06:50 AM

Dareus
Miller
Gabbert
Newton
Fairley
Quinn...

Bmax...

Dareus is the only one on that list that looks like he's worth it at #3. The rest don't look any better than the players who will be picked in the middle or later part of the first round.

Our perception of true blue chip prospects in this draft is more generous than it should be.

Quinn had a brain tumor and missed a year...nope...We already have a Fairley type in Kyle Williams (1 gap DT) and want a versitle DE/DT type or big NT. Miller is an OLB who played at 235 and gets washed out on sweeps. Overhyped QB's needing tons of coaching.

Trading down can yield an extra 2nd,3rd & 5th. With the dozen or so glaring needs, I'm thinking picking up the phone is the right idea in a draft showing few blue chippers but lots of solid value in Rounds 2-5. Say the Titans at #8, Wash at #10 or Minny at #12 call. You turn them down only if Dareus is still there and even then you think about it. Those other guys...no way.

The Pats with all those extra picks early is a result of dealing back and making solid picks in all rounds, not just at the top. Time we watched and learned, since we have a 10-11 year track record of doing it the wrong way.

BTW- Peterson is far better than anyone else on that list not named Dareus.

X-Era
04-10-2011, 07:49 AM

but i agree, if dareus is there, take him, if not trade down or take cj or jjAs an OLB , Miller can't be better than Torbor in the run? I know he brings something to our pass rush. I think a better argument against a OLB at 3 is resigning Merriman, still having Maybin, and Moats starting to emerge. Even then none of the guys I just listed is rock solid or a stud at the position.

Bowers has a knee issue that appears to be on track and before the injury was one of the top 5 players in the whole draft. If the Bills feel he's healthy and that he fits their scheme, I'd love to have Bowers.

better days
04-10-2011, 08:35 AM
Normally, I'm all about trading down. And I do really like JJ Watt.

But at 3, we're guaranteed to have a crack at my top 3 players:

1) Dareus
2) Fairley
3) Quinn

Well there is a very good chance Fairley & Quinn would be available in the 7-10 range as well. I think a trade down is the way to go if Dareus is gone & the Bills can entice a team to move up.

Johnny Bugmenot
04-10-2011, 02:41 PM
This of course assumes that you can find a trade partner. It's a lot easier to trade up (as I, rather loudly, campaigned to do last year to no avail) than it is to trade down. Especially if the rookie cap comes, you just have to take the hand you're given and pick the player most likely to help your team. Look how well Tyson Alualu has turned out for the Jags, and he's only a rookie.

better days
04-10-2011, 02:54 PM
This of course assumes that you can find a trade partner. It's a lot easier to trade up (as I, rather loudly, campaigned to do last year to no avail) than it is to trade down. Especially if the rookie cap comes, you just have to take the hand you're given and pick the player most likely to help your team. Look how well Tyson Alualu has turned out for the Jags, and he's only a rookie.

With a rookie cap in place it will be much easier to trade down than in the past because teams will no longer have to worry about BIG money spent on high picks.

Danny Duberstein
04-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Well there is a very good chance Fairley & Quinn would be available in the 7-10 range as well. I think a trade down is the way to go if Dareus is gone & the Bills can entice a team to move up.

Buddy Nix said it best earlier this off-season: If the guy you want is there, you don't trade down a few spots and hope he'll be there.

better days
04-10-2011, 10:45 PM
Buddy Nix said it best earlier this off-season: If the guy you want is there, you don't trade down a few spots and hope he'll be there.

Yeah, I heard that also, but what if they have 3 or 4 guys rated about the same? This draft is supposed to have very few great players but many more than usual very good players, especially on defense

The Bills are in a great spot. They can get one of the few great players at #3 or trade down & get an extra very good player or maybe even two.