PDA

View Full Version : Denver looking at trading down #2 pick....

CuseJetsFan83
04-12-2011, 02:12 PM
interesting...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/12/broncos-prefer-to-trade-back-from-no-2-pick/

In a mailbag for the Denver Post, Mike Klis writes that the Broncos’ “preference” is to trade back somewhere in the top eight to pick up an extra pick.
Ideally, Klis says the team would deal with Buffalo, Cincinnati, San Francisco or Tennessee. That’s easier said then done, of course, because the uncertainty surrounding a possible rookie wage scale (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/08/rookie-wage-scale-uncertainty-could-limit-trades-at-top-of-draft/) could make trades difficult.
What Carolina does with the top pick would also hurt Denver’s chances. It’s hard to imagine a team trading up for Blaine Gabbert (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=6451). Either Carolina will likely take Cam Newton (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=6491) or they might find a team willing to move up to No. 1.

DraftBoy
04-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Going to be a tough sell with no elite talent available.

Ingtar33
04-12-2011, 04:39 PM

this isn't a surprise. Their most likely trade partner will be AZ

Az needs a qb badly, and it doesn't look like they'll get one of the top 2 at their pick. I predicted this move a while ago.

for assumptions sake, lets just assume most teams have Newton and Gabbert as the no.1 & 2 QBs on their boards.

the problem for the Cardinals is... if it looks like Gabbert goes no.1, that leaves Newton to go to either Buffalo or Cincinnati (both of whom i'd say are probably 50/50 on taking a QB). Of course this math doesn't really change even IF Car doesn't take a QB... (say they take AJ Green instead) because the bills and Bengals still might take QBs before the Cards pick.

As a result, any team looking for a QB will need to trade up to the 2nd pick to have a chance at one.

patmoran2006
04-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Going to be a tough sell with no elite talent available. I disagree, I think it will be easier than in previous years. With no consensus No. 1 QB, Newton likely gone first and at least some teams probably having Gabbert ranked as their top guy, not to mention so many teams needy for a QB, I can see it happening.

Cinci, Arizona, SF, Tennessee, Washington, Minnesota and God forbid even Buffalo could be in the mix.

DraftBoy
04-12-2011, 04:54 PM
I disagree, I think it will be easier than in previous years. With no consensus No. 1 QB, Newton likely gone first and at least some teams probably having Gabbert ranked as their top guy, not to mention so many teams needy for a QB, I can see it happening.

Cinci, Arizona, SF, Tennessee, Washington, Minnesota and God forbid even Buffalo could be in the mix.

Im going off what I hear;

Newton is going #1 and nobody is in love with Gabbert. If you're not in love with a kid you dont trade up for him.

justasportsfan
04-12-2011, 04:56 PM
I hope they trade down to a team that wants a qb so we can take Dareus

Night Train
04-12-2011, 04:57 PM
If teams press the QB panic button, then Dareus is there at #3.

Raptor
04-12-2011, 05:24 PM

Newton is going #1 and nobody is in love with Gabbert. If you're not in love with a kid you dont trade up for him.

I have to agree. I think the mentality with Gabbert is if he falls to us we'll consider him but he's not worth going up for

With no FA'cy teams need these draft picks to fill holes and wont be willing to jus give them away

Ed
04-12-2011, 05:41 PM
I would agree. Just because a team is looking to trade down doesn't mean that anyone is looking to trade up. I just can't really see any team wanting to give up multiple picks for any of these players.

mrbojanglezs
04-12-2011, 06:17 PM
every team wants to trade down in this draft.... including the bills

tampabay25690
04-12-2011, 07:46 PM

DB I dont think Gabbert is a 1st round talent IMO......

Thief
04-12-2011, 07:55 PM

Newton is going #1 and nobody is in love with Gabbert. If you're not in love with a kid you dont trade up for him.And I'm sure you have the inside info on all 32 teams.

DraftBoy
04-13-2011, 07:44 AM
And I'm sure you have the inside info on all 32 teams.

Believe what you wish. I just post what I hear and my info has been pretty good over the years.

However that being said another guy I trust and who I know has more sources than I do broke some stuff last night;

Shawn Zobel over at Draft Headquarters said that both Arizona and Washington rank Gabbert #1 and are in discussions with Denver about the pick. He said he thinks that its a 80-85% chance the pick gets dealt.

malvado78
04-13-2011, 09:08 AM
Shawn Zobel over at Draft Headquarters said that both Arizona and Washington rank Gabbert #1 and are in discussions with Denver about the pick. He said he thinks that its a 80-85% chance the pick gets dealt.

This would be the best possible scenario for the Bills in this draft.

Newton at #1.
Someone trade into #2 take Gabbert.
Bills THROW their card to the podium because sprinting isn't quick enough to get the Dareus pick in.

If only things would fall into place for the Bills ONCE!

tampabay25690
04-13-2011, 09:19 AM
This would be the best possible scenario for the Bills in this draft.

Newton at #1.
Someone trade into #2 take Gabbert.
Bills THROW their card to the podium because sprinting isn't quick enough to get the Dareus pick in.

If only things would fall into place for the Bills ONCE!

If Dareus is there at #3 he is going to Buffalo....

Johnny Bugmenot
04-13-2011, 09:24 AM
If I were Buddy Nix, I'd seriously consider moving up one spot. It could be the difference between the best D-lineman in the draft and... having to settle for yet another skill position.

alohabillsfan
04-13-2011, 09:59 AM
SF will trade up for him if no FA before the draft. Harbarugh recruited Gabbert to Stanford out of HS so he knows and liked him. He has atleast 3-4 years to prove himself and needs a QB to groom.

psubills62
04-13-2011, 10:17 AM
If the Jets are willing to trade up to #5 for Sanchez, I wouldn't be surprised if some team is willing to trade up to #2 for Gabbert. Here's hoping.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-13-2011, 10:29 AM
GOD i would be so happy in gabbert and newton go 1 and 2... leaving marcell dareus for us... I WOULD BE MOST EXCITED ABOUT DAREUS!!!!!!

TigerJ
04-13-2011, 10:50 AM
I saw something about that article yesterday. Can't remember where. It was the second time I heard about Denver's interest in trading down. If Denver is successful, it would make it more difficult for Buffalo to trade down, since there would be one less player for teams wanting to move up. My theory is that there are only a couple players for which teams might be interested in trading up into the top five.

On the other hand, I doubt that a team wanting to trade up will do so to draft Marcel Dareus. He is the player that a lot of so called draft experts are suggesting Denver would draft at #2 overall. That means the odds go way up that he'll be available at#3 overall if Buffalo is interested.

BertSquirtgum
04-13-2011, 10:50 AM
my fingers are crossed