PDA

View Full Version : My mock draft with comments

Sportsuser101
04-12-2011, 04:25 PM
1 Carolina Panthers - DT Marcell Dareus - Alabama
Carolina can go in so many directions here but I think with Rivera is gonna get the defensive guy he wants. They just drafted Clausen last year and I don't think they're ready to give up on him just yet. Also Newton has off the field issues which the Panthers don't draft similiar to Tom Donahoe draft philosophy. Dareus will help a defense thats run game was 23rd. Clausen will develop into a solid quarterback eventually and there gonna still run
the ball mostly. Dareus is not the best player in the draft but I think he's a great fit and will help Rivera build another good defense. There best player on defense imo Jon Beason is gonna be very happy that Dareus hops on board.

2 Denver Broncos - DT Nick Fairley - Auburn
Denver cut Jamal Williams and Justin Bannan so they have a huge hole at DT and they are also switching to a 43 defense this year which means Fairley could be the pick here. Fairley, who was a one year wonder and starter for Auburn is so explosive its scary. I think Denver could go Peterson here as well but in the end I think DT is just too big of a need here. Denver is
not affraid to take questionable backgrounds/work ethics. See Marcus Thomas. Some have Fairley slipping down as far as #8 but I think Denver takes him here.

3 Buffalo Bills - OLB Von Miller - Texas A&M
Buffalo seriously needs to upgrade the defense and I think it would be foolish for them to take one of the quarterbacks. Miller is going to help out a defense that was pretty bad despite their 3rd ranking against the pass but the numbers don't tell it all. Teams ran the ball so easily they didn't need to throw the ball (32nd against the run). Plus they were down alot so there was no need to throw the ball. I think Miller not only helps out the defense as a whole but is seriously going to help out leaving their solid corners on an island. Don't be shocked at all if JJ Watt is the suprise pick here.

4 Cincinnati Bengals - WR Julio Jones - Alabama
Two Alabama players in the top 4 picks. The first suprise in the draft. I think the Bengals want an impact player right away. I don't think Lewis wants to draft a QB that will take time to develop since he will likely be on his last year if things go wrong. Some will say why not AJ Green here? I believe Jones has moved ahead of Green on some peoples boards and theres good reason. I'm torn between who I like better and it would probably be Green who I would want more but I think Jones is gonna be the pick here. I think both Green and Jones are going to be studs. In the end I think Jones is the guy.

5 Arizona Cardinals - QB Blaine Gabbert - Missouri
I can't see the Cardinals not taking one of the QBs after the year on offensive they had last year on offense. It was painful to watch them try and get a first down. I think they will sign a free agent quarterback and have Gabbert sit the bench and learn and to appease Larry Fitzgerald. Gabbert has alot to learn but has every physical tool you look for in a QB. Cardinals should have a solid offense in a few years with Gabbert and Wells.

6 Cleveland Browns - DE Da'Quan Bowers - Clemson
Name a starting defensive lineman on the Browns. Give up yet? They don't have much on that line and seriously need a pass rusher. If Bowers is there I can't see them passing him up. Yes they do need a WR but they have some young guys that could make an impact. They took Haden last year and I think they continue going defense and take the pass rusher. Bowers has
that knee problem but he was a great prospect coming out of high school and is now a great prospect coming into the pros. He had 16 sacks last year in the ACC and I think he'd be a great fit for the Browns new defense.

7 San Francisco 49ers - CB Patrick Peterson - LSU
The best player in the draft. Clements isn't the same guy he was and Peterson could also play safety as well. They need a quarterback but I don't see Newton as a Harbaugh type guy. They have Ted Ginn Jr as a returner but Peterson can also be a big time returner in the NFL as well. Harbaughs first pick is a dandy and I think the 49ers will be excited to get him.

8 Tennessee Titans - QB Cam Newton - Auburn
New coach, new QB. Collins will start next year and Newton will sit behind him. I really think the Titans wanted Fairley to help make a very strong defensive line but with him gone I think the Titans turn to plan B which is Newton. They would prefer to take Fairley and get a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round but Newton here and Fairley not I think this is where they go. Newton is a better pro prospect then Vince Young and I think he'll be a good fit in a few years with Chris Johnson back there and Kenny Britt throwing the deep ball.

9 Dallas Cowboys - DE JJ Watt - Wisconsin
They need help on the defensive line and Watt is a big motor guy who could infuse some life into a lackluster Cowboy team last year. Watt is a perfect fit for the Cowboys. They could go offensive line but I think it's too much of a reach for them to go with one of the questionable tackles at this point. With Green still on the board look for a possible trade here so that a team can get ahead of Washington to grab AJ Green and the Cowboys getting a tackle or Watt later on. Jones would like to screw Snyder and the Redskins out of Green.

10 Washington Redskins - WR AJ Green - Georgia
The Redskins sweat out the 9th pick and Green is still there and the Redskins couldn't be happier. Moss is a free agent and he'll probably resign but they still need a playmaker to spread the field. Green can do that and is a great value at #10. If a team trades ahead of the Redskins and grab Green look for the Redskins to look at Jake Locker as a suprise top 10 pick.

11 Houston Texans - DE/OLB Robert Quinn - North Carolina
Quinn was suspended all year last year but he has so much potential. Wade Phillips, the new DC, knows how big a pass rusher can be (Ware) and Quinn can be just that in Houston. Some would say Prince could go here but they used a 1st rounder last year on a corner and they have more pressing needs right now.

12 Minnesota Vikings - DE Aldon Smith - Missouri
Ray Edwards is probably going to be gone as a free agent so they have a hole on the otherside of Allen now. Smith is a dangerous pass rusher and the Vikings typically go defense in the 1st round. If one of the QBs were still here I think they would take one of them.

13 Detroit Lions - CB Prince Amukamara - Nebraska
A huge need for them and a good value at #13. Amukamara will finally give the Lions an elite corner they desperately needed for years. I'm sure they would be tempted to go OT here but Prince is too good here to pass up.

14 St Louis Rams - DE Cameron Jordan - California
They need to continue to get pressure on the QB and Jordan does that. He could also play LB and DT if need be in certain spots. The Rams could form a strong defensive line led by Chris Long.

15 Miami Dolphins - OG Mike Pouncey - Florida
The Dolphins run game was bad last year and it had to do with the running backs but it also had alot to do with the poor interior lineman. Pouncey, who has certainly benefitted from his brother doing so well in his rookie year, is a good fit and versitale playing all 3 interior lineman. I think they will resign Ronnie Brown and/or Ricky Williams so the line immediately becomes the biggest need.

16 Jacksonville Jaguars - DE Ryan Kerrigan - Purdue
The Jaguars are forming a solid defensive line and I think they continue that with Kerrigan here. I can't see them taking Locker here even though they need a QB to groom. Maybe later on in the draft they'll address it.

17 New England Patriots - RB Mark Ingram - Alabama
The best running back in the draft and the Patriots have a need at running back. With 2 1st round picks the Patriots can add alot of talent and Ingram does just that. They do have Green-Ellis and Woodhead in the backfield but Ingram can form to a good 3 running back backfield.

18 San Diego Chargers - DT Stephen Paea - Oregon State
Paea would play NT in the 34 and they need someone to replace Jammal Williams who they still haven't been able to find a true NT. Paea does just that. They could go OLB here too.

19 New York Giants - OT Anthony Castonzo - Boston College
The Giants line is getting old and need a resurgence of youth into it and Castonzo is on the top of the OT board for the Giants. Tyron Smith is a possibility but I believe the Giants like Castonzo better.

20 Tampa Bay BUccaneers - DE Adrian Clayborn - Iowa
If he came out last year he could have been a top 10 pick. He is a good fit for the Bucs who I have heard are zeroing in on defensive ends. The Bucs are building a strong defensive line class this year and last year.

21 Kansas City Chiefs - DT Phil Taylor - Baylor
The Chiefs need a big ole nose tackle to continue to improve that defense. Taylor is a monster tackle and I think is a great fit for Crennel. They could think about Tyron Smith but I think they continue to go defense.

22 Indianapolis Colts - OT Tyron Smith - USC
Arguably the most talented offensive tackle in the draft the Colts grab him at #22. They need to protect Manning more then they have and Smith could develop into a stud tackle. There is no secret that the Colts are looking for help on the offensive line.

23 Philadelphia Eagles - CB Jimmy Smith - Colorado
They need secondary help in the worse way. Smith has alot of skills but hasn't played up to those skills. He's only had 3 INTs in the 3 years he's been starting but he still has plenty of room to develop. Smith is also a good tackler which the Eagles love out of their corners.

24 New Orleans Saints - OLB Akeem Ayers - UCLA
It seems like every year the Saints are looking to upgrade their linebacker core and this year is no different. Ayers is arguably the best true linebacker in the draft. The Saints could go defensive line but Ayers fits their needs more.

25 Seattle Seahawks - QB Ryan Mallett - Arkansas
They could go Locker here but I think they like Mallett more. Hasselbeck is getting old and they really need to develop a good QB for 2012. Mallett has all the tools you look for in a QB. They could go offensive line here but I think QB is the way they'll go.

26 Baltimore Ravens - DE/OLB Justin Houston - Georgia
The Ravens need to get some youth on the front 7 and Houston does that and is an explosive pass rusher. They could go corner here but I see them going with Houston.

27 Atlanta Falcons - DE Allen Bailey - Miami (FL)
They need someone on the opposite side of Abraham and Bailey has alot of the physical skills you look for in a defensive end. Can be a steal at this point.

28 New England Patriots - DE/DT Cameron Heyward - Ohio State
A good fit for the 34 scheme and a versitale player. They could go offensive line here but the Pats tend to go defense and I think Heyward is a perfect fit.

29 Chicago Bears - OT Nate Solder - Colorado
The Bears haver serious issues on the offensive line and if they wanna make sure there huge investment Jay Cutler is standing up they need to address it and do it aggressively. They do here with Solder. Solder has alot of upside and I think could be solid early on and be very special when he matures.

30 New York Jets - DL Marvin Austin - North Carolina
The Jets need to upgrade their defensive line and I think Austin is a high risk, high reward type guy. A top prospect out of high school Austin has got serious skills if he actually put it all together he could be a stud.

31 Pittsburgh Steelers - CB/S Aaron Williams - Texas
Their secondary is awful. If it weren't for there pass rushers and linebackers they would be torn apart. Williams can play both cornerback and safety. They need to infuse some talent into the secondary and Williams is the best left.

32 Green Bay Packers - OT Gabe Carimi - Wisconsin
The Packers don't have alot of needs but upgrading the offensive line to keep Aaron Rodgers standing up is one of them. They could go defensive line but for the 2nd year in a row they get a good tackle late in the draft.

patmoran2006
04-12-2011, 04:45 PM
Good work.
Will have to store this away with some others and see how ya did on April 29.

Sportsuser101
04-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Good work.
Will have to store this away with some others and see how ya did on April 29.

Thanks

Novacane
04-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Good job. I'll be happy with Miller. I'd rather trade down but there has to be a willing partner.

tampabay25690
04-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Nice job on it.
Can't say I agree on the 1st 2 picks......
I will be honest if CAM doesnt go #1 Buffalo will draft him...IMO
But job well done......

Bangarang
04-12-2011, 08:18 PM
Well done. Although, I think you have Paea, Bailey, and Austin too high.

Sportsuser101
04-13-2011, 08:53 AM
Well done. Although, I think you have Paea, Bailey, and Austin too high.

Thanks. I have Paea going that high because the Chargers have such a huge need at NT. Williams has been a key loss and they haven't replaced him yet. Paea is freakishly strong and I think would be a good fit.

Bailey has great measurables. He's got all the talent just not a ton of production. With all the big DEs going off the board I think the Falcons go Bailey cause they need another pass rusher and at #27 its a low risk, high reward pick.

Austin is the same way. He's got so much talent and yes he has off the field issues which is why I think most teams and mocks have him lower but in the end I think 1 team sees the talent as being too much to pass up and I think the Jets take a shot at him. The Jets aren't affraid to take bad character guys either.

TigerJ
04-13-2011, 11:04 AM
While I tend to agree with you, I don't think the Bills necessarily do. If both QBs are available, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Buffalo pick Newton. What I'm hoping is that Carolina picks Newton, then either Denver of Buffalo trades out of their spots. If Denver does, then Dareus drops and Buffalo can draft him. If Buffalo does, then they pick up an extra second round choice and use their lower first on Cam Jordan. Newton to Carolina creates a win-win situation for Buffalo.